Is it worth it?

dungeonfood

Ok, so I'll preface with two quick facts:

1. I've read all the main Cosmere stories (excepting companion books)
  2. I'm an INCREDIBLY slow reader

This leads me to to my question: Is it worth getting into the non-Cosmere works? I have many books and series on the horizon (e.g. Wise Man's Fear, Assassin's Apprentice, Wheel of Time series) and have to be a bit choosy with what I spend my time on because each book is a major commitment for me. That said, Way of Kings is my favorite book I've ever read.

If I were to read some of the non-Cosmere books, which should I read? While I love Brandon Sanderson to death, I thought Elantris was so-so and permanently put down Alloy of Law after 2 chapters.

I don't know... I loved them, but I also loved everything else by Brandon. Try Legion since it's the shortest, see if you like it.

Legion isn't exactly his best work...

Have you read TES yet? It's short and awesome.

The Alloy of Law is pretty good actually. I would even say it's better than the first Mistborn trilogy but that's my opinion. Maybe the guns and the cowboy put you off a bit instead of a medieval setting. But I recommend you give it a second try.

Non-cosmere, I agree with Argent. Give Legion a try. It's short and pretty good so maybe you'll have an idea what to expect from the rest. If you want a full-length novel I recommend Steelheart.

You did what?! Put the Alloy of Law aside before Wayne appears?! That's bad... I personally think that Wax is boring, but when Wayne comes messing with him, it's downright funny :) That and Wayne's lucky hat. And Wayne's actually mentioned in the prologue but then it's chapter 2.

It's better then Mistborn series, you just have to suffer Wax a bit.

My faves are probably the Infinity Blade novellas, because they've got the best high-fantasy feel (though the Infinity Blade universe is actually sci-fi that presents itself like fantasy.) Unfortunately, the novellas fit into the storyline with the games, so if you haven't/can't play the Infinity Blade games, it's hard to get into them quite as well. 

I did end up making a quick guide to the games' stories for people who want to read the novellas and get the whole narrative. That's here on this forum. I absolutely adore Infinity Blade, both as a game and as a story, so I'd love to see more people getting into them and reading them. The novellas are short, if games are your thing then the games are fantastic, and it's just a good time all around. I will say that I think the second novella, Redemption, is even better than the first one, Awakening. They really are amazing.

I agree, I think Rithmatist is his best non-cosmere.  Steelheart is pretty good too though.  And so is Alcatraz...  Basically you can't really go wrong here.

You should definitely check out The Emperor's Soul, it is easily Brandon's most beautiful work.  It's my favorite cosmere "book" hands down.

• 1 month later...

Haha there are so many different opinions. The only thing everyone really agrees on is that Sanderson is awesome. Personally I've read everything he's *published* (and one ot two things he hasn't) with the exception of Alkatraz and the Infinity Blade stuff. It's all good, but certain works will appeal to different people. 
My advice is this: If you've read The Name of the Wind why in god's name was Wise Man's Fear not at the top of your list? You should already be reading it. :P The Wheel of Time could conceivably take you years to finish if you're a very slow reader. It's worth it, especially since WoK is your favorite book, but that's your decision
As for Sanderson. Read it all, I doubt you'll regret any of it.

read emperors soul if you haven't. and give the other books a go. i haven't gotten very far into any of his non Cosmere works because they just don't interest me as much but you might like them and none of them are terribly long either really.

edit: from what i have read go for the rithmatist, alcatraz might be a bit crazy and steelheart the less i say about that the better, it has a really poor start in my opinion, it may get better but i am still tossing up whether or not i will keep going. the others i definitely do plan on finishing.

Edited by Iredomi

I cannot say this enough. Read AoL. It is absolutely awesome, and even if you have to force yourself all the way through to the climax, there are 2 very vivid throwbacks to the old Mistborn that will make you cry with joy. And keep a lookout for High Imperial. That's not even counting the fact that those are some of Sanderson's best words.

I love massive tomes with a deepseated joy in my soul, but TES is fantastic, just absolutely flows. Legion is hilarious, and Alcatraz too. If you can find Alcatraz, go with that, because they are short, sweet, and have some Spook speak.

Read, my fellow Sharder, READ!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I cannot say this enough. Read AoL. It is absolutely awesome, and even if you have to force yourself all the way through to the climax, there are 2 very vivid throwbacks to the old Mistborn that will make you cry with joy. And keep a lookout for High Imperial. That's not even counting the fact that those are some of Sanderson's best words.

I love massive tomes with a deepseated joy in my soul, but TES is fantastic, just absolutely flows. Legion is hilarious, and Alcatraz too. If you can find Alcatraz, go with that, because they are short, sweet, and have some Spook speak.

Read, my fellow Sharder, READ!

Might I ask what High Imperial is?

Might I ask what High Imperial is?

aka Eastern Street Slang, it's an intentionally confusing semi-English language spoken by a character called Spook/Lestibournes in Mistborn. I happen to be a fan of the language because it's just so cool and confusing.   :)

Edit: Ninja's because I didn't notice the 2nd page. Again. Notting of the noticing me.

Edited by Delightful