favorite quotes!

Allomancy

You know who has had a lot of good quotes over the decades? Joker. And I'm feeling in a Joker kind of mood.

Batman (1989)

"As my plastic surgeon always says; if you gotta go, go with a smile."

"Do I look like I'm joking?"

"Tell me something, my friend, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

"If you could see inside, I'm really crying."

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

"This town needs an enema."

The Dark Knight (2008)

"I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger."

"You wanna know how I got these scars?"

"The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules."

"You know, madness is like gravity... all it takes is a little push."

"Why so serious?"

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just, do things."

"Very poor choice of words!"

Joker (2019)

Mild spoilers; some of the quotes aren't from the trailer.

Spoiler

"We are all clowns."

"Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?"

"I used to think my life was a tragedy. But now I realize, it's a comedy."

"I just hope my death makes more cents than my life."

"For my whole life, I didn't know if I even really existed. But I do, and people are starting to notice."

"When you bring me out, can you introduce me as Joker?"

"What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash?! I'll tell you what you get! You get what you ****ing deserve!"

"I was just thinking of a joke..."

• 3 weeks later...

Actual quotes from my friends:

"I am the least weird, but I am also the least normal. I am the most extraordinary."

"Studying is for the weak and rational."

"Man. What I can achieve when I actually think for a change."

"Personally I would rather talk about dead minecraft cows than the meaning of life."

"This town isn't big enough for two ferrets."

"Last time I checked, my camera was not in your stomach, but I could be wrong."

"You don't have a valid opinion if you don't like cranberries!" 

"I'M surviving the apocalypse, you flipping lamppost."

"Are you having a knee seizure?"

"I just insulted you in ancient gibberish. So be offended!" 

6 minutes ago, Aon Ese: Abundance,Harvest said:

Actual quotes from my friends:

"I am the least weird, but I am also the least normal. I am the most extraordinary."

"Studying is for the weak and rational."

"Man. What I can achieve when I actually think for a change."

"Personally I would rather talk about dead minecraft cows than the meaning of life."

"This town isn't big enough for two ferrets."

"Last time I checked, my camera was not in your stomach, but I could be wrong."

"You don't have a valid opinion if you don't like cranberries!" 

"I'M surviving the apocalypse, you flipping lamppost."

"Are you having a knee seizure?"

"I just insulted you in ancient gibberish. So be offended!" 

This is awesome:D

• 2 weeks later...

These are from Return to Ivalice in FFXIV, but some are also from Tactics:

"Seven shadows cast. Seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death, and death alone!" - Northswain's Strike 

"To the current of life, we succumb. Its judgement swift and final. Its bite as cold as steel."

"The hearts of men are black with corruption and must needs be cleansed! I call out to the skies and tremble as the brilliance of a thousand bolts blinds mine enemies and tears their flesh asunder. They who dwell aloft have spoken. Let their words echo in your empty soul. Ruination is come!" - Agrias Oaks

"I am Count Cidolfus Orlandeau. Your journey ends here. Open your eyes to the darkness, and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching."

"Misfortune hangs heavy on a head once held high. Such is poor cover for when the heavens fall. To live by the sword is to die by the sword. There is time enough for regret in the flames of hell. Honed is the blade that severs the villain's head. Endless is the path that leads him from hell."

"Hark! The screams of ruin rise above the storm's discord. Shudder not in Her endless cold."

"I have been called the god of thunder. You will now know why! Upon my holy blade the very world lies in balance. And now the scales will tip!" - Thunder God Cidolfus Orlandeau

"Mortal agency in matters divine shall not be suffered. You shall rue the day you raised your eyes to the heavens. Kneel before me!"

"Simmer does the light of life before rising to the heavens in a cleansing conflagration of divine benevolence. Your souls... Your souls... ARE UNDONE! I am the only god...I am your Mother. I am your Maker! I. AM. IVALICE!" - Ultima the High Seraph 

Edited by Zurvanite

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2017 at 6:50 AM, Mestiv said:

No idea who: whether you think you can or can't do something, you're right. 

Henry Ford said that.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:41 PM, Ethan_Sedai said:

#

This is not a Hashtag! It's a SHARP!

Technically, a sharp has straight vertical lines and slanted horizontals. So, that is a hashtag.

I ain't never died while wearing my lucky hat - If you don't know who, SHAME!

I always find it sad when I hear people say "I don't read". That's like saying "I don't love" or "I don't learn" or "I don't live". - I can't remember who said that.

"That thing is alive!" Nicholas Sayre

"Turn and turn and turn again; you see the what but not the when." "Which way do you face if you turn around three times? Backwards." - GtO, don't remember author

After these four decades, then, there stands before the entire world one great and inescapable conclusion: Freedom leads to prosperity. Freedom replaces the ancient hatreds among the nations with comity and peace. Freedom is the victor.

We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace.

There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

One of my favorite quotes is found in Dune by Frank Herbert.  It's a mental quote from the evil character Feyd Rautha after his near defeat by a captured Atreides warrior in the arena. His opponent managed to still fight back and then fall on his own blade even under the paralysis of an illegal poison from Feyd.

"That which makes a man superhuman is terrifying."

• 2 weeks later...

"As for fairy tales, he understood that they were reflections of the people who had spun them, and were flecked with little truths - intrusions of reality into fantasy, like toast crumbs on a wizard's beard." 

"He looked him right in the eyes and saw a man who was great and good and human, who had done extraordinary things and terrible things and been broken and reassembled as a shell, only then to do the bravest thing of all: He had kept on living, though there are easier paths to take."

"Wishes don't just come true. They're only the target you paint around what you want. You still have to hit the bull's-eye yourself."

- All from Laini Taylor's Strange the Dreamer duology

On 12/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, The Awakened Salad said:

"As for fairy tales, he understood that they were reflections of the people who had spun them, and were flecked with little truths - intrusions of reality into fantasy, like toast crumbs on a wizard's beard." 

"He looked him right in the eyes and saw a man who was great and good and human, who had done extraordinary things and terrible things and been broken and reassembled as a shell, only then to do the bravest thing of all: He had kept on living, though there are easier paths to take."

"Wishes don't just come true. They're only the target you paint around what you want. You still have to hit the bull's-eye yourself."

- All from Laini Taylor's Strange the Dreamer duology

I finished the first book a couple of days ago! I liked it a lot!

• 1 month later...

"You've commited the cardinal sin of boring me. And so I retire to the shade." - Emet-Selch 

"Do not seek forgiveness, for it will not ease the burden. It weighs as it should." - Fray of the Onyx Shade

"In your darkest hour, in the blackest night... think of me, and I will be with you. Always. For where else could I go? Who else could I love but you?" - Myste

"This world is beyond saving. Like those who tried to save it... this world has had its fill of heroes." - Ardbert 

"You gifted my people a thousand years of suffering. Now I gift you an eternity in darkness!" - Estinien Wyrmblood

"Blood-brother, thou hast doomed me.. But if I must meet mine end, then all shall burn upon my pyre!" - Nidhogg

"Come and play! For the night is bright and you can sleep when you're dead." - Titania

"To ignore the plight of those one might conceivably save is not wisdom—it is indolence." - Archon Louisoix

"We did everything right! Everything that was asked of us, and still... still things came to this! You of all people must understand! We cannot, we will not falter. We brought our world to the brink of destruction, and now we must save it." - Ardbert 

"Wicked white, you're him! You were there, in the middle of it all, strong as a hundred men! A bulwark against the tide of eaters that threatened to overwhelm us! And now you've brought me a sandwich! A sandwich! Amazing!"

"Seek salvation by your own hands. Though the losses be grave... endure them. Though the victories be hollow... claim them." - Ardbert

"The path you've chosen is paved with the dead. Walk it with your eyes open, or not at all." - Matoya

Edited by Zurvanite

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free!
While God is marching on." - Julia Ward Howe

"You live long enough to hear the sound of guns

long enough to find yourself screaming every night

long enough to see your friends betray you

For years I've been strapped unto this altar

Now I only have three minutes and counting

I just wish the tide would catch me first and give

me a death I always longed for." - Tuomas Holopainen

"Sure, we'll have fascism in this country, we'll just call it Anti-fascism." - Huey Long

Edited by Elend Venture

Not really a quote, but the poem at the beginning of Drakengard 3 is chilling. The first five stanzas are about the Five Sisters of Zero and their deaths by her hand. The second five stanzas are about Zero herself, the choices she makes and the end of the world. The flower mentioned is the main antagonist of Drakengard 3, also called the Black Flower, a god. The first stanza does have a bad word in it so I'll censor it, but you might be able to guess. 

"A thirstful wh•••
with lips agasm
Her web unspundled,
left to blight

A fortrace drowning
in the blasm
Her walls vansieged
by falseful mite

An anvil tyed
by lock and lash
Her works abounding
like the hare