The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

I'm mostly interested in whether the methods can be extended past what we know from Mistborn books and annotations, but yeah, if you have Q/A stuff other than "you can do crazy stuff with Hemalurgy" and that it's not world-specific, then I'd love to see it.

I'm mostly interested in whether the methods can be extended past what we know from Mistborn books and annotations, but yeah, if you have Q/A stuff other than "you can do crazy stuff with Hemalurgy" and that it's not world-specific, then I'd love to see it.

I asked if non-scandriel people could implant spikes at a signing earlier, and got RAFOed (The exact words were along the lines of "you know, I don't think I've revealed that yet".) I figure putting that on the list isn't going to be particualrly helpful.

anyway

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=689

zas678

Does the person being pierced in order to charge a Hemalurgic spike have to die?

Brandon Sanderson

Not necessarily. A spike does require you to rip pieces of a soul from the victim, but that does not mean they must die. They would be a very different person afterwords though.

Yeah, it was just a quick first pass on the given list. Lemme edit those out as well.

If you have any suggestions for rephrasing, fire away. I just want to get this reference page back up to date.Brandon mentioned that the people on the southern continent use the metallic arts in an unusual way. Aside from that, hemalurgy technically isn't always fatal, though ripping a chunk of your soul off always has consequences.

I meant no criticism, I totally appreciate your hard work.

There are a few questions that could do with some rephrasing.

Is Jesker and/or the Mysteries simply another religion? Or do they have DulaDor (as opposed to AonDor, FjorDor, and JinDor, as I refer to them in my head)?

Slightly confusing phrasing. Jesker is a religion, the Mysteries is a cult, as Brandon says. They both seek to tap or understand AonDor. It's somewhat confusing to interpret the Dor names.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/annotation/45/elantris-Chapter-32

So it might be better to ask "Can the Jesker religion or the Jesker Mysteries cult access AonDor and use it?"

There's a question we should ask about Mistborn, relating to what you said. "You've mentioned you wanted to do a Mistborn book in the Southern Continent. How is the Southern Continent's way of using magic or technology different, and why is it cool?"

It's been said that if Preservation fueled Allomancy, he would be significantly weaker than Ruin. Why wasn't he weaker? Did that part of Preservation that fueled Allomancy regenerate?

This should be hemalurgy I believe. We know that the Shard's powers generally regenerate.

If a Shard does something against its intent--like Preservation fueling Hemalurgy--would that energy the Shard used be expended?

He's been asked variants of this question a few time and has danced around it. It might be better to change 'would that energy the Shard used be expended ' which presumably was meant to imply permanently expended to 'would more energy be needed, or would the energy be regenerated more slowly?'

Did Shai benefit from divine intervention similar to Raoden? Background for asking:

The Elantris annotations tell us one bit of extreme luck on Raoden's part was a form divine intervention.

Emperor's Soul happens on the same world, and Shai also has some extreme luck. Even for an artist as skilled and dedicated as herself, it's remarkable to succeed under her time constraints, and especially in her last-minute changes. Gaotona refers to her artistic transcendence as "awesome, yet unseen," suggesting the divine. So I wonder if there's any connection.

Does the weeping on Roshar occur all at once on the whole planet, or is there a mobile swath of weeping that migrates? Are the random seasons local or planet wide?

More specifically, do the weepings correspond to a standing wave node of some kind?

If two Allomantic Savants had children, would the offspring be affected by that in any way?

Can Compounders become Savants in burning Feruchemical charges? And can duralumin affect Compounding?

@Phantom Monstrosity:

The question about Endowment being the only Shard on Nalthis on the list has already been answered:

I have seen theories about why the lashings cannot be done in shardplate according to Szeth but that the KR apparently could. Have it been confirmed that all KR used shardplate?

I specifically wonder if the Windrunners used Shardplate because it might have prevented them from doing lashes.

So the question is:

Did all orders of Knights Radiants use Shardplate?

I've been re-reading Warbreaker lately, and Vasher seems to have some unusual abilities.

What uses does BioChromatic breath have, besides Awakening?

Well, there's that memory altering stuff which we're not sure about. Nightblood has all sorts of weirdness. And Returned apparently keep their superhuman abilities even when suppressed.

Yes, Denth is inhumanly fast. He�s a Returned, after all, and has all of the physical enhancements that come with that. Even when he�s chosen not to manifest most of them, he�s still got an edge, just like Vasher does.

Let's see... oh yeah. Children and animals innately trust Returned as well. Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Well, there's that memory altering stuff which we're not sure about. Nightblood has all sorts of weirdness. And Returned apparently keep their superhuman abilities even when suppressed.Let's see... oh yeah. Children and animals innately trust Returned as well.

Are these confirmed to be functions of Breath though? That's kind of what I'm getting at. The memory thing almost certainly (it even seems to have a command). And how do these other effects work I wonder? Realmatically speaking. Or even an in-world explanation.

Also, what the hell does Nightblood do to Breath to make it black?

So this is from the Forgery and Hemalurgy Thread:

"If Shai were to gain a Shardblade, but then gave it up, could she create an essence mark that represented the history where she still had the blade? If she then applied the essence mark could she summon the Shardblade or a copy of it?"

So I know these are in that google doc that was around a while back, and in the Q&A thread as well, but I thought I would put them here, just so that they can hopefully not be lost and get answered at some point.  The last two about seeking might be ineligible, as I know he has rafo'd similar questions, but I'll leave them here just in case:

Mistborn:

1. Would it be possible to get a general timeline of the following events, in relation to the time of the Lord Ruler’s Ascension and to each other: the birth of the Second Generation, the time period when kandra were hunted down and killed by Mistborn, the creation of the contract system and of the creation of the latter generations?
2. How much do the Terris people in the breeding programs and the obligators who work with them know about Feruchemy?

Cosmere:
3. Could a Seeker who was properly trained and experienced detect AonDor or Breath?
4. What is it exactly that a seeker is detecting?

My question is:

Can someone with Nicrosil Feruchemy, a charged Nicrosil metalmind and Allomancy use the stored investiture in the metalmind to fuel their Allomancy? Would it be kind of like a 'mana-battery'? If this is the case could they learn to do without ingesting metals, relying solely on their Nicrosilmind?

Also as far as the question on why Sazed didn't use Gold Feruchemy to heal his castration, the MAG rulebook gives us an idea (though obviously this needs to be taken with some salt...). It takes at least a rank of 9 in Gold Feruchemy to grow back limbs and such, that is it takes someone incredibly skilled in storing and tapping health to do this. According to the rulebook Sazed never goes beyond a rating of 4, in fact his highest rating is 8 (Copper... makes sense). Thus I imagine Sazed could have learned to grow back his genitals if he'd set his mind to it in the same way as he set his mind to preserving knowledge.

My question is:

Can someone with Nicrosil Feruchemy, a charged Nicrosil metalmind and Allomancy use the stored investiture in the metalmind to fuel their Allomancy? Would it be kind of like a 'mana-battery'? If this is the case could they learn to do without ingesting metals, relying solely on their Nicrosilmind?

Also as far as the question on why Sazed didn't use Gold Feruchemy to heal his castration, the MAG rulebook gives us an idea (though obviously this needs to be taken with some salt...). It takes at least a rank of 9 in Gold Feruchemy to grow back limbs and such, that is it takes someone incredibly skilled in storing and tapping health to do this. According to the rulebook Sazed never goes beyond a rating of 4, in fact his highest rating is 8 (Copper... makes sense). Thus I imagine Sazed could have learned to grow back his genitals if he'd set his mind to it in the same way as he set his mind to preserving knowledge.

I think the answer to the second question is that the wound had already healed (with scaring of course) so that it no longer can be done. I imagine that regrowing a limb or such is possible only if the wound is relatively new.

On a second note to use Shai's way of explaining it. If Sazed have accepted and is comfortable with being a eunuch (and i would say it seems so), then his spiritual identity will with time match that. And he has been a eunuch a long time.

If a number of bricks that sits on top of each other starts to think themselves as a wall, then a body that looses its genitals should start to think of itself as a eunuch.

Is there cognitive DNA?

http://mistbornrpg.17thshard.com/topic/230-questions-for-brandon/page__st__20

In the Cosmere, a person has three sets of genetic material. Biological DNA, Personality/Cognative self, Spiritual Soul. All are influenced by heritage and parents. All all are also influenced by the land you are born in. A Punnett square wouldn't cover it. Think of a 4-dimensional Punnett square.

-8/2/2010

Apparently yes.

Can non-Scadrians use Hemalurgy? (I know it can be used of world but does the practitioner have to be of Scadrian descent)

I already asked that and got RAFOed

What were the shadows Alendi saw? This is from MB1:

Perhaps it is due to the pressure of knowing that I must somehow bear the burden of an entire world. Perhaps it is caused by the death I have seen, the friends I have lost. The friends I have been forced to kill. Either way, I sometimes see shadows following me. Dark creatures that I don't understand, nor wish to understand. Are they, perhaps, some segments of my overtaxed mind? 

We already know Alendi had Hemalurgist spikes. Did he have a spike that allowed him to burn electrum? If so, why didn't he realize he was burning it? are there traces of electrum in water?
Edited by kroen

What were the shadows Alendi saw? This is from MB1:

Perhaps it is due to the pressure of knowing that I must somehow bear the burden of an entire world. Perhaps it is caused by the death I have seen, the friends I have lost. The friends I have been forced to kill. Either way, I sometimes see shadows following me. Dark creatures that I don't understand, nor wish to understand. Are they, perhaps, some segments of my overtaxed mind? 

We already know Alendi had Hemalurgist spikes. Did he have a spike that allowed him to burn electrum? If so, why didn't he realize he was burning it? are there traces of electrum in water?

I believe those were the "Mist Spirit" which I think Vin points out in Well of Ascension.  It's definitely not electrum shadows since electrum is an alloy and wouldn't be in the groundwater.