Remington Springfield doesn't swim, water just takes him where he wants to go.

Remington Springfield doesn't need to eat, food just really wants to be eaten by him so he generously obliges.

Remington Springfield doesn't win fights, he just allows his enemies to lose.

In something like an RP though that rarely matters since most protagonists are expert riflemen with impeccable aim.

Well, yeah, but you have to think of character survivability. Even Mr. Headshot (the ultimate expert rifleman with impeccable aim) wasn't able to kill any characters. Funtimes could "skittle" his projectiles so that they didn't do any damage. The way this guy originally was, he could just kill people. No way to dodge, no way to escape, no way to fight back except to bring enough guys that you can surround him. He punches into the air and your head shatters. Anyone who crossed him would just be dead. Our beloved characters would have no Deus ex Machina to save them. He wouldn't exactly be considered a High Epic (neither would Deathpoint,) but he would have been sort of difficult to work with.

Frostfire sort of bugs me because he apparently has an Insta-Kill, too. I thought he would just be able to throw fireballs or whatever but that WHOOC has me worried. :unsure: Whatever, though, I guess. He's already well-established and shipped off to Neverland (courtesy of Twilyght, I assume.)  :)

Edited by Mckeedee123

Well, yeah, but you have to think of character survivability. Even Mr. Headshot (the ultimate expert rifleman with impeccable aim) wasn't able to kill any characters. Funtimes could "skittle" his projectiles so that they didn't do any damage. The way this guy originally was, he could just kill people. No way to dodge, no way to escape, no way to fight back except to bring enough guys that you can surround him. He punches into the air and your head shatters. Anyone who crossed him would just be dead. Our beloved characters would have no Deus ex Machina to save them. He wouldn't exactly be considered a High Epic (neither would Deathpoint,) but he would have been sort of difficult to work with.

Frostfire sort of bugs me because he apparently has an Insta-Kill, too. I thought he would just be able to throw fireballs or whatever but that WHOOC has me worried. :unsure: Whatever, though, I guess. He's already well-established and shipped off to Neverland (courtesy of Twilyght, I assume.)  :)

Doesn't mean those powers can't be RP characters, I have Bioterror who can insta kill an entire army if he felt like it.

Jesus can walk on water. Remington Springfield can swim through land.

Jesus turned water into wine.

Remington Springfield turned water into dead Nighthound.

Edited by Voidus

How about Lady Deathskull has her fight after Substance has his?

I'm thinking she can fight Hollowman, an Epic who can turn invisible and shoot blasts of energy.

Concurrent fights can happen if you wanted to write it sooner.

Did you want to write both sides or were you looking for someone to adopt Hollowman?

I'm pretty sure insta-kill powers are par for the course where Oregon is concerned. CorpseMaker kills with a stare. Sightline and Timeport can teleport their weapons into you. Electro's lightning is fast enough to be counted as one, and Altermind can fill you with so much agony you might as well be dead.

I think they're fine, as long as there's full cooperation between their writers and the writers for other characters. As long as nobody tries to use these powers to start randomly killing other people's characters left and right, these powers are no more gamebreaking than a pistol and a steady hand.

I'm pretty sure insta-kill powers are par for the course where Oregon is concerned. CorpseMaker kills with a stare. Sightline and Timeport can teleport their weapons into you. Electro's lightning is fast enough to be counted as one, and Altermind can fill you with so much agony you might as well be dead.

I think they're fine, as long as there's full cooperation between their writers and the writers for other characters. As long as nobody tries to use these powers to start randomly killing other people's characters left and right, these powers are no more gamebreaking than a pistol and a steady hand.

There definitely needs to be balance, to ensure insta-kill characters aren't OP as well. Epics like Steelheart and Obliteration are unique for a reason, after all. That said, there is a rule against killing another player's character without obtaining their express permission first, so if a character has an insta-kill power, there should be space in which to work around an ending where they kill every player character in sight. Give them a mastermind sort of personality where they'd rather take on allies than create corpses, or make them squishy so they can't afford to make too many enemies, or make sure there's some sort of caveat so other characters can escape. On the flip side, if your character goes up against an insta-kill character, get creative. Think of a way your character might fight or talk their way out of that situation. Part of the fun of the Reckoners books, after all, was seeing how David, whose only power is terrible similes, holds his own against evil beings with godlike powers.

Concurrent fights can happen if you wanted to write it sooner.

Did you want to write both sides or were you looking for someone to adopt Hollowman?

That might actually turn out to be a slight problem with continuity given Cypher's insistence of being special for being a commentor.

There definitely needs to be balance, to ensure insta-kill characters aren't OP as well. Epics like Steelheart and Obliteration are unique for a reason, after all. That said, there is a rule against killing another player's character without obtaining their express permission first, so if a character has an insta-kill power, there should be space in which to work around an ending where they kill every player character in sight. Give them a mastermind sort of personality where they'd rather take on allies than create corpses, or make them squishy so they can't afford to make too many enemies, or make sure there's some sort of caveat so other characters can escape. On the flip side, if your character goes up against an insta-kill character, get creative. Think of a way your character might fight or talk their way out of that situation. Part of the fun of the Reckoners books, after all, was seeing how David, whose only power is terrible similes, holds his own against evil beings with godlike powers.

It comes down to balance really. One Epic that has been mentioned for example is Smasher and while the whole "sportsmanship" bit is barely more than a handwave it gets balanced by being in Astoria, where squashing people isn't really enough to kill most of the cast. Another example mentioned in all of this is Frostfire, who, while pretty much being the Epic that started the Dalles power scale fluxuating on the upper scale, is still balanced ith a couple of limitations... at least in theory given that the whooc post did pretty much violate all of them except the can only drain energy from what he's touching bit. :unsure:

That might actually turn out to be a slight problem with continuity given Cypher's insistence of being special for being a commentor.

It comes down to balance really. One Epic that has been mentioned for example is Smasher and while the whole "sportsmanship" bit is barely more than a handwave it gets balanced by being in Astoria, where squashing people isn't really enough to kill most of the cast. Another example mentioned in all of this is Frostfire, who, while pretty much being the Epic that started the Dalles power scale fluxuating on the upper scale, is still balanced ith a couple of limitations... at least in theory given that the whooc post did pretty much violate all of them except the can only drain energy from what he's touching bit. :unsure:

Though it could be argued that the WHOOC thread is a magical wonderland where the sleaziest of murderous sleazeballs can be redeemed by drinking a Coke. :P On a more serious note, so long as there are limitations of some sort on insta-kill characters, I don't see a problem with their existence.

Comatose, I was not sure what you had in mind for this Public Announcement Blossom is writing. I am perfectly comfortable with writing it myself, but I figured I'd give you the opportunity to write it if that's what you wanted. Just let me know.

My dad just walked into the house and asked "Do you know who Taylor Swift is?"

He was surprised that, for once, I knew who a pop singer was. :ph34r:

He proceeded to tell some story about her, starting with "I always considered her kind of an idiot..."

I wanted to respond "She considers you a corpse." :ph34r::P

He proceeded to tell some story about her, starting with "I always considered her kind of an idiot..."

Has he ever seen the music video for "Blank Space"? Not only is it some pretty biting satire about how the media perceives her, but it's also pretty clearly a retelling of The Great Gatsby from Daisy's perspective. Which takes not only an understanding of the characters and source material, but also creativity to reinterpret a classic in a way that is entertaining and accessible to the average viewer.

In other words, you're not an idiot Taylor please don't kill me. :ph34r:

At least you didn't answer your father with, "Yes I know her, she's the delusional flesh warper running around in the town under my military dictatorship." :P

I prefer to think that it's really not that strong of an ability, it's more that the human body is really storming fragile. :P Throwing fireballs though has never been a part of his powerset. Far too mainstream.

More serously though: I dropped a good chunk of his harder limits for that post, largely for shock value. A more realistic scenario would have involved much more time, as Frostfire had to stop and absorb more heat, as well as some not insubstantial internal trauma (+/- a few bullet holes) from holding very large amounts of energy. (Assuming some of the other Guards/Epics reacted well enough to attack.) If Elsa and/or MV got their acts together fast enough, there's even a good chance he would've died then and there. Either way, he would've been down for the count, and likely would've have kept living for very long. He is powerful, he does have an instant kill ability and he is hard to kill himself, but he's also extremely limited, and using his power at it's full potential is pretty self-destructive. (This is why I still maintain that Shiny is far more OP'd than Frostfire. :P)

I'm bad at making not strong Epics. :( (Or at least caring enough about them to make them a PoV character. :ph34r: )

While on the topic of the Dalles there'll probably be a dog. :mellow:

And another thing about the Dalles, Kobold how about another Vondra post?