Is anyone here not in college?

And I though I was prodigious...

Yep.

I'm in 8th grade. I do not speak five languages. I did not skip a grade. I have a college grade reading level, but I doubt that has much weight among Sanderfans. I am clueless as to whatever they do in calculus, though my older brothers enjoy confusing me with it.

...I can play kazoo?

Wow, this thread has gotten a bit off topic. I'm not in college. I'm a junior in high school. I speak English. Only English. I read about a hundred books a year on various subjects. I have two blogs, one about politics, culture, and society, one about psychological and personality stuff. I play piano and sing. That's about it for now, because I don't think any of you are quite ready for the whole of my massively awesome resumé. I might be smart? And I will rule someday, likely as the American President. I will rule.

Edited by Kipper

That's about it for now, because I don't think any of you are quite ready for the whole of my massively awesome resumé. I might be smart? And I will rule someday, likely as the American President. I will rule.

I like your style.

No offense meant but honestly when I've read the thread title I thought whether it's a joke. 

Though I got the "general higher education entrance qualification in Europe" I made an apprenticeship and I'm working since I'm 21 years. I'm not speaking a lot of languages, didn't study and have no (academic) title. 

Even if this thread would not be representative for this forums I'm surprised that there seem to be so little persons beyond "learning age", and apparently nearly anybody here seems to study. 

It's a luck one does not have to present their curriculum vitae to get permission to participate here. :P

Huh, I kinda thought the average age was a bit higher :)

I'd like to reaffirm what some others have said already. If you find a course that you're really interested in at University (/college or whatever) then it is loads better than high school.

I personally have 6 weeks left of my Computer Science Bachelors degree, then I will be focusing my efforts on independent games development  :D

Huh, I kinda thought the average age was a bit higher :)

I'd like to reaffirm what some others have said already. If you find a course that you're really interested in at University (/college or whatever) then it is loads better than high school.

I personally have 6 weeks left of my Computer Science Bachelors degree, then I will be focusing my efforts on independent games development  :D

There are few older people, but not all responded to this thread. However, people my age (I feel ancient :ph34r: ) do not often dwindle inside online communities except perhaps those about parenthood, but these are harsh, harsh, harsh beyond any possible measure. To avoid at all possible cost if you want to retain sanity, but I may one of the only one with kids here (I feel even more ancient :ph34r: ).

Brandon wrote many books aimed towards a younger audience and even SA has a YA feel to it. I am thus not surprised to find many teenagers in the community. I personally have always loved young characters and the label on a book certainly does not bother me. I do not care how old the person I am interfacing is with as long as we are able to converse. Besides, teenagers are most likely much better read than I, having more time at hand, and they do write dissertations in the scope of their studies, which I haven't done in a very long time. It is a skill we tend to lose with the years. 

There are few older people, but not all responded to this thread. However, people my age (I feel ancient :ph34r: ) do not often dwindle inside online communities except perhaps those about parenthood, but these are harsh, harsh, harsh beyond any possible measure. To avoid at all possible cost if you want to retain sanity, but I may one of the only one with kids here (I feel even more ancient :ph34r: ).

Oh I know there are plenty of older people here and I wasn't saying I have any issue with younger people at all. It generally doesn't matter what age someone is on forums. :) (Though a five year old would probably be fairly noticeable.) I have a feeling that the demographic was a little older when I first joined (not saying that's necessarily good or bad) particularly given how back then the site was substantially smaller and much more focused on detailed theorising. (The roleplaying subforum was about as active as a graveyard.) It was also before steelheart was released :) It's pretty cool how much the site has grown since then.

Oh I know there are plenty of older people here and I wasn't saying I have any issue with younger people at all. It generally doesn't matter what age someone is on forums. :) (Though a five year old would probably be fairly noticeable.) I have a feeling that the demographic was a little older when I first joined (not saying that's necessarily good or bad) particularly given how back then the site was substantially smaller and much more focused on detailed theorising. (The roleplaying subforum was about as active as a graveyard.) It was also before steelheart was released :) It's pretty cool how much the site has grown since then.

This is one of the great thing about forums: you are not label by your age, your gender, your physical appearance, your ethnicity which makes for conversation outside the typical prejudices. 

It is not always easy to find real life people sharing your interest in an author or a book. 

I wonder what the typical Sanderson fan is in terms of age, sex, education and wealth. Personally, I know most of my working peers do not read much fiction let alone fantasy.

From what I observe, it seems like the average Sanderfan is male, around college age or older, with degrees usually in computer sciences or mechanical engineering. Note that these are just observations, so please don't take any offense at this.  :)

I wonder what the typical Sanderson fan is in terms of age, sex, education and wealth. Personally, I know most of my working peers do not read much fiction let alone fantasy.

GoT gets a lot of attention in my worklpace, but not many try to read the books. When I talk about fantasy, I usually get this sort of reaction  :blink:  :blink:  :blink: One of my colleague enjoys fantasy and he is nearing on his sixties, but he tends to reshuffle through his old stuff as opposed to try anything new. I just cannot get him into trying SA  :( I'm sure he would love it if he were to try it: he loves little Ender and Arya so much... Other people are just discouraged at the prospect of simply reading a book  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: Most adults just do not read much more than the occasional popular book or so I have found.

From what I observe, it seems like the average Sanderfan is male, around college age or older, with degrees usually in computer sciences or mechanical engineering. Note that these are just observations, so please don't take any offense at this.  :)

From my personal experience, it seems people often read a lot when they are younger, but end up giving it up as they age. Why? I do not know. I myself go into dry periods, but I always come back to reading. Perhaps it is they get bored or feel the story are too similar or are just not taking the time to read anymore. Parents my age tend to spend their evening cleaning and going to bed ridiculously early  :huh:

There seem to be a higher rate of fantasy readers in engineering: I have noticed this as well during my own school years. For the longest time, fantasy has held a negative stigma, being deemed a lesser genre. I am not surprise to find out people into liberal professions have been avoiding it as their studies have often emphasis the distinction between "real literature" and "lesser books" such as fantasy... which is not true at all, but many people still carry on this idea. Now with GoT and LoTR, fantasy is getting a bigger spotlight and I am quite happy about it. Saying you, as a woman, you preferred reading books about dragons and swords as opposed to Bridget Jones Diary was not all too popular a decade or so ago  :ph34r:  

From my personal experience, it seems people often read a lot when they are younger, but end up giving it up as they age. Why? I do not know. I myself go into dry periods, but I always come back to reading. Perhaps it is they get bored or feel the story are too similar or are just not taking the time to read anymore. Parents my age tend to spend their evening cleaning and going to bed ridiculously early  :huh:

My technical writing professor said 60% of college freshman read for pleasure, while the percentage of college seniors who read for pleasure is negligible. And so he did us all a favor. Reminiscent of elementary school, one assignment for the term is to read 20 minutes every day. Imagine that! The only requirement is that the reading material is "book length." And so I started reading the Wheel of Time (this will take way longer than the term ... ) ... 

My technical writing professor said 60% of college freshman read for pleasure, while the percentage of college seniors who read for pleasure is negligible. And so he did us all a favor. Reminiscent of elementary school, one assignment for the term is to read 20 minutes every day. Imagine that! The only requirement is that the reading material is "book length." And so I started reading the Wheel of Time (this will take way longer than the term ... ) ... 

This is great! I am not a firm defender of forcing young people to read so-called classics as, from personal experience, these can be quite outdated and uninteresting for nowadays people. Not every readers will want to dig into the classics, nor will appreciate them, but it does not mean they cannot enjoy reading. I firmly believe the best way to ensure kids will keep on reading is to allow them to read material appropriate to their age, their reading level and their generation.

There are so many books out there, it is easy to find appealing well written books for teenagers/young adults enabling decent discourse afterwards. They may not have the label "classic" on them, but shouldn't the goal be help people develop a lasting interest into reading? They have a lifetime to dig into the classics... why force them in High School? Shaskespear sure is a classic, but most 14 years old will be completely turned of by it, so for one kid who'd actually appreciate it, you have 25 you may give up reading because you turned it into a chore....

I also think if High School/College teachers would make their students read fantasy instead of Emile Zola, they may find they would retain their interest into reading better. It frustrates me so much to think most teachers would spit on fantasy thinking it is not deep enough to enlighten the young minds...  It is true reading about characters shopping for a dress and carefully describing every single garment for hundred of pages is SO much better  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Eero is about ~10 years graduated from college and well into his career phase of life. I think Eero is also the oldest on the moderating team, just barely beating out Shiv. Not the oldest on the forums period, but definitely up there.

I also think if High School/College teachers would make their students read fantasy instead of Emile Zola, they may find they would retain their interest into reading better. It frustrates me so much to think most teachers would spit on fantasy thinking it is not deep enough to enlighten the young minds...  It is true reading about characters shopping for a dress and carefully describing every single garment for hundred of pages is SO much better  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

THAT. I really had a lot of problems starting to read anything longer than a comic book because of that. The problem is that the "classics" and the "literature" is always a controversial topic. Is Tolkien a classic? Robert Jordan? Assimov? Sanderson once Cosmere is finished? Is fantasy/cifi "literature"? I'd say yes, but the "enlighted" that say what should and shouldn't be one thing or the other disagree.

I work on a bookstore (we sell fantasy/cf/terror books only). So no. I'm not in college. I don't even know what you mean by "college" (shame on me). Here in Spain you do prescolar (3-5y), primaria (6-12), secundaria (13-16), bachillerato/formación profesional (16-18 or 20) and universidad (18->). You wouldn't believe the lot of people that comes to the store buying books to firends because "I don't read. I'm too old for reading." or "yeah... fantasy is for kids I'm a gronw up I don't read those things".

THAT. I really had a lot of problems starting to read anything longer than a comic book because of that. The problem is that the "classics" and the "literature" is always a controversial topic. Is Tolkien a classic? Robert Jordan? Assimov? Sanderson once Cosmere is finished? Is fantasy/cifi "literature"? I'd say yes, but the "enlighted" that say what should and shouldn't be one thing or the other disagree.

I work on a bookstore (we sell fantasy/cf/terror books only). So no. I'm not in college. I don't even know what you mean by "college" (shame on me). Here in Spain you do prescolar (3-5y), primaria (6-12), secundaria (13-16), bachillerato/formación profesional (16-18 or 20) and universidad (18->). You wouldn't believe the lot of people that comes to the store buying books to firends because "I don't read. I'm too old for reading." or "yeah... fantasy is for kids I'm a gronw up I don't read those things".

American college = British university = universidad

We 'murricans seem to be the only people who call university "college".

American college = British university = universidad

We 'murricans seem to be the only people who call university "college".

You guys... you are wierd. xD