An Abundance of Doctors

'Everyone, let's give The Doctor a proper welcome!

Our guild doesn't necessarily always condone the use of blackmail to boost its membership base. I know that our arguments can be However, now that you're here, I hope that you decide it is worth your time to stay.

We are glad that you joined our cause, even if it was only for the Incentives Program.

Should you wish a uniform, see Doc Piffington, the guild quartermaster.

Enjoy your stay!'

Dr Rab Heatherlocke, Political Advisor

Edited by Haelbarde

'As we are yet to complete a banner under which to march, it would be challenging for us to send out envoys to other guilds. It would be confusing to others where we to introduce ourselves under a multitudinous array of names. As you know, Identity is Realmatically critical, and so our first goal must be to establish an Identity, and then display that one Identity as a group.

This being said, I am sure we will reach out to other guilds in the near future, once our Identity has truly formed. I trust you would give us the tour should we visit the Newcargo Court?'

"Of course. A tour will be happily arranged." 

OK! Rules so far, since I saw Clanky's ideas.

Here are some medical ethics that we could edit slightly to make our guild rules.(My added suggestions in blue)

• Beneficences - a doctor must do things that are good for the patient (Unless you could do something that helps yourself instead)
  • Non-maleficence – a doctor must not try to hurt his patients. (like our rule 1, unless you really want to)
  • Autonomy - the patient can say he does not want to be treated (But we don't have to listen)
  • Justice – talks about what is fair in giving people medicines and care. (however what is fair is really up for debate)
  • Dignity - the patient (and the doctor) have the right to dignity (respect for someone as a person)(However they should respect us as the better person)
  • Truthfulness (being honest) – the doctor must tell the patient the truth (but not the whole truth)

Oh yes, I claim the positions of Honorificifier and Secretary, as well as #2. Contact me for titles/honorifics/info.

1. Do no harm (unless you want to)

2. Help the patient! Unless you could help yourself instead.

3. The patient can say that they don't want to be treated. If they do, offer them a cuppa- No! Of course it doesn't have your medicine in it! Just some arsenic...

4. Be fair and treat all patients equally. Unless you are in a bad mood, or they talk, or breathe, or do anything, or if they don't do anything, in which case treat them how you want to treat them.

5. Both you and the patient have the right to respect. However, their right is to respect you.

6. You must tell the patient the whole truth. From your perspective. It also does not have to be about them. "You are going to die", to healthy person, and "You're fine" to dying person are both true, you just said them at the wrong time.

7. Don't take a second opinion, yours is better anyways

8. Ne'er posteth thy prices 'ere thou knowest thine enemy(a.k.a. patient)

9. If you can make it more confusing, do so. A poultice of crushed rare1 herbs2, gathered from the boundaries3 of the known4 world5, ne'er known 'ere to any man6 fetches a higher price than ripped-up daisies.

1. if rare is exceedingly common

2. if a daisy is an herb, and plurals are singular

3. my garden

4. to my pet snail

5. garden

6. who is a dog and a cat at the same time

"Of course. A tour will be happily arranged." 

'Splendid. Of course, we will have to send out multiple delegations. I'm sure you can understand that we can not be seen to favour one party over another. We are, of course, doctors.'

Poison! Why, I'm sure some of our number know something about that -- we are doctors, after all. Could you be bothered to give us a more complete explanation of the details, your majesty?

Doctor, I think we can all agree that we are glad to have you here. If there is anyone who approaches Dr. Seixa in doctorliness, it's you. Also, Dr. Heatherlocke, 'blackmail' is such a harsh word. I would argue that it was more a case of... well... I've got nothing. Isn't making up political doublespeak your job?

I think we need a more condensed ruleset. I still like the original two, as well as your rule 5 (the one about respect). However, I have the issue that most of these rules aren't rules; they're bits of advice. Also, they're all medically centric.

Given that being a doctor is about education, how about: "Willful ignorance is never acceptable behavior for a doctor". It's not funny, but not all the rules have to be, and this one helps take steps toward actually determining an ideological identity for ourselves.

"Of course. The Parshendi, who are enemies of Newcago Court and Its Alliances, have been trying to assassinate many of our Newcagoan people, including myself. They managed to spike me with a taco, and tried to poison the cake which only a few people ate, before Winter Cloud noticed and stopped them from eating it."

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart

Doctor, I think we can all agree that we are glad to have you here. If there is anyone who approaches Dr. Seixa in doctorliness, it's you. Also, Dr. Heatherlocke, 'blackmail' is such a harsh word. I would argue that it was more a case of... well... I've got nothing. Isn't making up political doublespeak your job?

You make good points. I have reissued that press release (A cookie and and up vote for the first person to get the reference).

Given that being a doctor is about education, how about: "Willful ignorance is never acceptable behavior for a doctor". It's not funny, but not all the rules have to be, and this one helps take steps toward actually determining an ideological identity for ourselves.

To me, that rings similar to the 'never take a second opinion' but gets more to the point behind why you shouldn't. It's also more eloquent.

Oh, also, a name for the rules -

The Dozen Directives of Delightfully Divergent Doctors

With the 'Delightfully Divergent Doctors' being a suggestion for the guild name, or some variation upon it.

Other words: Disparate, Dapper, Diligent, Dignified, Dominant, Diplomatic, Divergent, Dramatic

EDIT:

Doctor Rab Frowned. "I have just been informed that we have been drawn into a war. In future, please notify the management before volunteering the guild's services for a war effort. A consensus should be first reached either democratically, or by the appointed leader of the guild."

Edited by Haelbarde

"Incentives Program".  :lol: Dr. Heatherlocke, you are very good at your job.

We've not been drawn in at all; I was merely requesting that we be appraised of the situation. As it stands, this incident appears to have been more or less resolved already, and there seems to be no reason for us to get involved. All that remains for the Court is to deal with the culprits, and that is by no means our problem.

Does it sound similar? One is about never accepting that you may be wrong about something, the other is about always taking the opportunity to acquire new learning. If anything, they sit at cross purposes, but I feel that they can be brought together harmoniously.

What? Who signed us up for that?

EDIT: I just got back from the War thread. It looks like a lot of us support involvement in this war. Should we put it to a vote? I'm willing to get behind it, as long as it is made clear that this does not ally us with the other participants in the War in any formal fashion.

Edited by Wonko the Sane

We've not been drawn in at all; I was merely requesting that we be appraised of the situation. As it stands, this incident appears to have been more or less resolved already, and there seems to be no reason for us to get involved. All that remains for the Court is to deal with the culprits, and that is by no means our problem.

"Indeed, though I have and a couple of other people have spikes stuck in them and can't really work out how to get them out. The poison is affecting people as well.'

What? Who signed us up for that?

EDIT: I just got back from the War thread. It looks like a lot of us support involvement in this war. Should we put it to a vote? I'm willing to get behind it, as long as it is made clear that this does not ally us with the other participants in the War in any formal fashion.

I'm not against getting involved, just it should be a guild decision (and so, raised here first), and it needs to be clear our support is due to personal interests, rather than external obligations from alliances.

Unfortunately, Jain mentioned elsewhere that he's taking a potentially permanent break from the Social Groups forum. It's too bad; we could have used his panda charm.

EDIT: added name for clarity.

EDIT 2: Also, I think making our first emissary our trained assassin might send the wrong message. Then again, if you're willing to go with him, I'm sure you could smooth things over. He may be our best option at this point.

Edited by Wonko the Sane

I am in fact a medical doctor (I also have a PhD in many other fields thanks to a clever use of cloning) however I don't think I will be able to join this war at least at the start since I have to study for exams so that I can become even more doctorly. 

I would like to be part of this but I am actually in the middle of my exams and I am already spending too much time on this site playing in two Sanderson elimination games. If this war is still going on by the time my exams are done I would be happy to lend my skills as both a doctor and a ninja to this noble cause.

That's absolutely fine, Doctor McNinja. As the (potential) fourth rule states, willful ignorance is never acceptable behavior for a doctor; we must ever seek more knowledge.

It looks like our best bet is Dr. Seixa, now. We can't count on Doctor McNinja having returned in time to help.

What!? about me... I will go with Haelberde. I believve I have been there but could someone direct us to the War thread? Seixa pulled out his finest toga and nodded happily. It would do.  "Haelberde? Do you need to borrow a toga? And what kind?