Bands of Mourning Cover Art & Blurb

Argent

Regarding accidental hemalurgy:

Source:

Q: If you shot Miles with pewter bullets through the heart, would the bullets become hemalurgically charged and remove Miles’s bloodmaking ability?

A: Umm, you would have to get them in exactly the right place.

Q: Oh, so it’s more than just the heart, it’s got to be the right place in the heart?

A: Well, you have to, it’s like acupuncture.  A hemalurgic spike has to be specifically placed.

Q: Well, I don’t mean for placement. I just mean for making Miles a donor.

A: You could hemalurgically steal Miles’s power.

Q: With pewter bullets?

A: I don’t know that bullets would work.  But they might.  How about this, it is theoretically possible to do what you just described.  If you knew what you were doing,  because intention is part of a lot of the magic system.  Intention is involved.  It’s tricky because Ruin did it to people who didn’t know what they were doing, but…

Q: But, Ruin intended to do it, though.

A: But, Ruin intended to do it and knows how to manipulate it so that intentions would happen.  Intention is very important, if you read through the magics, to a lot of them.

Q: It is part of the cognitive aspect.

A: Yes.

So so far as the spear goes, maybe Ruin did some intentionality there for the spearing, but that seems to be the only way the spear becoming a spike could reasonably have happened.

DALENTHAS (15 OCTOBER 2008)

Did the Lord Ruler have any Hemalurgic spikes in him? It would seem he'd need to for Ruin to influence him, but it wasn't mentioned. Or did his bracers work as spikes?

BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)

His arm bracers, which pierced his skin, were his spikes.

So reading theory land and I'm just going to note. They may indeed be metal minds. After all we know that he was able to use Gold Compounding which can heal damage to your spirit web and possibly restore your powers. If you spiked out and healed your own allomancy or feruchemy then Spike your self with your own spike that would make them stronger then they were just a moment ago.
Your welcome.

Now. Was he his own "Doner" or did he kill some people and take theirs?

First off, Hi!  First post here.  :)

Having read all of the information in this post and the links that were provided earlier, I now have to wonder if the bracers were part Larasium.  One of the questions asked of Brandon was if the Lord Ruler took a bead of Larasium and Brandon said yes.  However, another question said that he did not USE Larasium to become an allomancer, but made himself that way using the well of ascension.  Maybe he somehow forged an alloy of Larasium and Atium in his bracers (1st generation Harmonium?)

Thoughts?

even if he used a bead of lerasium, the well had more. so the option that he used another bead (or a few others) as spikes is quite possible.

Also, the self-spiking and then healingcould be a nice trick. not sure if it works - maybe healing the damage to the spiritweb removes the charge from the spike - but it could. while hemalurgy is end-negative, allomancy is end-positive, so a combination of them can be made end-positive

• Chaos locked this topic