Weapons for misting/ ferrings

RJWB0mb

for the lurcher powered cannon would it possibly be simpler to put the metal ball bettween to lurchers and sling shot it at the target? it would remove the ramp while still alow the lurchers to hold shields.

i believe possibly in the next time shift flamethrowers would be very effective but when they were first used they were a danger to the user and everyone around them allies included.

I think it'd be tough to manage without a ramp, it could be done but both would need to pull at the exact same time with the exact same strength, but if they ever managed to co-ordinate this it would be awesome!

• 1 month later...

Request: First master, I would appreciate it if Mistings need to be killed, that you would permit me to kill those annoying pseudo-mistborn for you.

But if you are determined to do it yourself, then there are many techniques I would suggest.

Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a coinshot with a steel-tipped arrow, then I'll kill them myself.

Answer: Select grenades, Soundsticks, Dynamite, and stone arrowheads. Traps are also effective as many Thugs will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly thugs.

Addendum: Gas attacks are effective if you can take a ferring by surprise- Inhalation is less effective than ones that work on skin contact, as some ferrings seem able to hold their breath for long periods of time.

Cautionary: Still, don't rely on it, since thugs can fight off the effects, it just distracts them, leaving them open to other avenues of attack.

Recitation: Do not forget to bring along any Lurchers you may possess. Clips, while dangerous, have trouble penetrating most military-trained professionals- provided they are reinforced wooden shields, and not those crude metal melee shields.

Answer: Countering their other powers is more difficult.

Confession: I do not fully understand their other abilities, but i do know many of them require that the misting know that you are there, or can sense you.

Thus, Sniping, burning copper, and wearing no metal are always advantageous.

Evaluation: a technique The Lord Ruler used frequently was to attack a misting indirectly. This method only works if the misting is following the self-destructive path of pacifism and sacrifice.

Answer: Kill their allies, or place them in jeopardy. Many mistings will leave themselves exposed in order to protect another. That is why there are many less mistings than there were a decade ago.

Extrapolation: There are many theorists who claim some mistings can see the future, and I do not know if that is true, but it seems planned incidents are more likely to succeed than impulsive acts.

Seers, like sand-kivers, seem to sense trouble a few seconds before it happens. they are tricky little pests.

Here's an interesting thought that occurred to me.

Do Smokers, that is Copper Mistings, have an effect on EM fields when burning copper? The reason why I think of this is because of the concept of a Faraday Cage (which is sometimes made of copper, coincidence?) and how it cancels out most EM waves. If so...then a Smoker would be great against remote detonated bombs, or really most RC items.

Here's an interesting thought that occurred to me.

Do Smokers, that is Copper Mistings, have an effect on EM fields when burning copper? The reason why I think of this is because of the concept of a Faraday Cage (which is sometimes made of copper, coincidence?) and how it cancels out most EM waves. If so...then a Smoker would be great against remote detonated bombs, or really most RC items.

It would be cool but I doubt it, copper and bronze play with the spiritual aspect to find/conceal people using a spiritual connection to a shard. Not much EM use going on there.

Now I wonder if copper/bronze utilizes the same geo-spiritual network that anchors time bubbles...

Now I wonder if copper/bronze utilizes the same geo-spiritual network that anchors time bubbles...

I doubt that they do, cadmium and bendalloy bubbles are anchored and copperclouds aren't. I guess Seekers probably have bubbles too, just massive ones. Since they can move about and still sense or disguise Allomancy I don't think they are bound to the ground in any way, although I'm sure they have a bubble-like boundaries.

Hmm...I guess since it's got more to do with the spiritual that definitely makes sense, although I guess that for some reason when I was thinking of copperclouds, I was literally thinking of a cloud of copper dust, which would have the Faraday's Cage effect. In that case, the older generation Allomancers have a denser coppercloud, making it harder to pierce, and now as time has gone on the density is less, allowing the potential for Seekers to pierce it, like how if the Faraday Cage has too large of a gap, it allows the EM waves through...But it this all happens on the spiritual level it probably doesn't have an EM effect as you said. Unless that is just one of those weird but interesting side-effects that occurs from time to time with certain abilities.

As for Seekers having massive bubbles, they do, at least according to what I read in the Mistborn Adventure Game.

I doubt that they do, cadmium and bendalloy bubbles are anchored and copperclouds aren't. I guess Seekers probably have bubbles too, just massive ones. Since they can move about and still sense or disguise Allomancy I don't think they are bound to the ground in any way, although I'm sure they have a bubble-like boundaries.

Sorry, my question was unclear. I meant that bronzepulses might be vibrations carried along such a network, and copperclouds might muffle the pulses by making the "lines" of the network vibrate less around them. I thought taking advantage of an in-world mechanic would make the bronze/copper powers seem less handwaved and more plausible.

Anyway, since I'm obliged to bring up something relevant to the topic...

I've got nothing.

The grenades that a coinshot could detonate would be a bad idea because *any* coinshot or lurcher would be able to detonate them, even if they were currently on the coinshot's person. Any lurcher or coinshot could see them on your person and you couldn't make them out of aluminum or else you wouldn't be able to detonate them and the whole point would be defeated.

The could only work if they never became publically known. Right now, any lurcher or coinshot could activate the safety on Wax's Vindication. The only thing that keeps them from doing so is 1) they don't know it's there and 2) they can push or pull on the gun anyway. Why would they bother?

I like the spike boots. A skimmer would also be served by weighted clothing that would allow them to store more weight normally while still being able to move around normally.

well obviously it's a situational weapon, but I think all weapons are situational when you come right down to it.

actually I wonder if you could keep them in an aluminum casing of some kind and rig it so the casing would break open when it hit the ground, then it would only be possible to trigger then after they'd already been thrown.

well obviously it's a situational weapon, but I think all weapons are situational when you come right down to it.

actually I wonder if you could keep them in an aluminum casing of some kind and rig it so the casing would break open when it hit the ground, then it would only be possible to trigger then after they'd already been thrown.

Can metals not be pushed and bulled when they're inside aluminum? I know that wearing aluminium on the head keeps your emotions safe from being soothed or rioted and that the metal can't be pulled itself, but I wasn't aware that a layer of aluminum around something would keep the metal inside from being affected by allomancy.

It seems if that were the case, you'd see aluminum coated guns and not guns of solid aluminum like the Vanishers had.

Finish wear would likely be a serious safety issue in that case, even if it does work. As for aluminum barring steel and iron allomancy, it makes sense in context. Kelsier thinks about how he can barely 'see' metal through a wooden door but he still notices Vin listening in. If a mundane object can do it, and aluminum has already exhibited passive allomantic interference of a similar, it seems a safe assumption until we're informed otherwise.

Finish wear would likely be a serious safety issue in that case, even if it does work. As for aluminum barring steel and iron allomancy, it makes sense in context. Kelsier thinks about how he can barely 'see' metal through a wooden door but he still notices Vin listening in. If a mundane object can do it, and aluminum has already exhibited passive allomantic interference of a similar, it seems a safe assumption until we're informed otherwise.

But then why were the Vanishers using guns *made* of aluminum when aluminum was so precious? That the cost of the guns and bullets were a huge financial strain on their organization was a noted plot point. If coating the guns and bullets with aluminum laminate would have achieved the same there would be no justification for that expense.

Putting an aluminum finish over an allomantically reactive (not necessarily sound) metal would mean that if the finish were damaged, even through typical wear and tear on the muzzle and inner barrel, your gun is now vulnerable to Coinshots and Lurchers. They weren't going for "good enough", they were dead set on "unstoppable".

Besides, it may not work. It's just a hypothesis, however sound it seems to me.

I like the idea of aluminum coatings. The main problem I can see is that the technology probably does not exist to do so even at the time of Alloy. Also, the point about wear on a gun is a VERY good one. My semi-auto shows wear on the slide and barrel components with just normal practice shooting. A layer of aluminum would have worn off extremely quickly. Revolvers are a different creature, but even they tend to show wear from casual use.

Offhand, wear around the hammer and cylinder, probably around the breech from the blasts of each round. I know gunpowder grains can grind up in there unless you clean it regular, and even then I gotta reckon it'll scratch up any finish.

• Chaos locked this topic