Stormlight 5 interlude reading (cosmere spoilers)

The flying spider

9 hours ago, Elite01 said:

....My crackpot theory is the Cusicesh isn't a spren but is something else that is sprenlike in qualities but more powerful and can somehow travel amongst planets. 

I suspect that Cusicech is a actually splinter of a Shard, or something of equivalent power. He may have been watching over the Iriali since they began their Long Trail.

Edited by Johnny Silverlight

I got all excited when our favorite Worldhopper trio got a letter from Hoid, and instantly thought that it would have a whole bunch of really interesting fiddlygrack about the Cosmere with tons of useful information…

And then it was just Hoid being Hoid.

26 minutes ago, Pleese said:

What’s the metal tube weapon thing that was described? I don’t fully understand that. 

I think it was a vial of metals.

2 hours ago, Johnny Silverlight said:

I suspect that Cusicech is a actually splinter of a Shard, or something of equivalent power. He may have been watching over the Iriali since they began their Long Trail.

My question is, if so, how did he open Honor's path?  That was made specifically clear.  I wonder if Cusicech is a construct designed to absorb a tiny amount of Investiture from everyone who sees him every day.  Once he has enough Investiture from the local system, he then opens a portal to move the Iriali using that Investiture.

My question is, if so, how did he open Honor's path?  That was made specifically clear.  I wonder if Cusicech is a construct designed to absorb a tiny amount of Investiture from everyone who sees him every day.  Once he hasenough Investiture from the local system, he then opens a portal to move the Iriali using that Investiture.

I think that makes sense. It’s also described as looking towards the origin of the highstorms so it could have been studying honor/the perpendicularity.

My actual theory is it’s just locals assuming all perpendicularitys are honors path because they don’t know any other name to call it. No evidence just a hunch. 

i feel like when we see locals interacting with the general cosmere they always assume it’s something familiar like surgebinding or “allomatic magic” and having a local pov isn’t always trustworthy.

8 hours ago, Brgst13 said:

I wonder if Cusicech is a construct designed to absorb a tiny amount of Investiture from everyone who sees him every day.  Once he has enough Investiture from the local system, he then opens a portal to move the Iriali using that Investiture.

I completely forgot that he drains investiture out of people each time. That explains how he was able to gather so much investiture needed to open so many perpendicularities.

I’ve wondered for a while if the Iriali originated on Yolen, and when I looked at the Cusicech art recently I suddenly thought it looks like a Sho Del. Not enough to build a real theory (although I like the idea that the Iriali One is Adonalsium splintered into many different life experiences) but thought that was interesting. Perhaps the Iriali consciousness shaped this being of Investiture into a more familiar form?

Edited by Moirne

I do wonder when this interlude happened. The interludes are often at different times than the books, but I think something like this would be mentioned in a previous book. Brandon had previously said that Demoux, Galladon, and Baon had left Roshar by RoW, but I guess that has been revised.

1 hour ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

I do wonder when this interlude happened. The interludes are often at different times than the books, but I think something like this would be mentioned in a previous book. Brandon had previously said that Demoux, Galladon, and Baon had left Roshar by RoW, but I guess that has been revised.

Or they have returned. Or they spent that time in Shadesmar.

12 hours ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

I got all excited when our favorite Worldhopper trio got a letter from Hoid, and instantly thought that it would have a whole bunch of really interesting fiddlygrack about the Cosmere with tons of useful information…

The important part there is the messenger. The rings scream feruchemist. If we accept that this leaves us with two unsatisfying options

1. This was either Axindweth or somebody from her group. That would mean that Hoid is cooperating with somebody who transported a voidspren.
  2. We are looking at multiple groups of feruchemists.

12 hours ago, Pleese said:

What’s the metal tube weapon thing that was described? I don’t fully understand that. 

I think it was a gun. 

On 11/22/2023 at 8:46 PM, alder24 said:

I think this more or less confirms the 5th Land location, Cosmere spoilers:

Hide contents

Scadrial

I hope we next see the 17th Shard in Mistborn Ghostbloods. I think they would fit well with the spy thriller vibe that Brandon mentioned for that book. 

Hide contents

Scadrial

I hope we next see the 17th Shard in Mistborn Ghostbloods. I think they would fit well with the spy thriller vibe that Brandon mentioned for that book. 

Hide contents

Scadrial

Hide contents

Scadrial

On 11/23/2023 at 8:10 AM, theSurgeOfPhysics said:

Makes me wonder, the POV calls Hoid the Trickster Aspect. Is he something fabricated directly by Adolnasium? Since shards have intent (Ruin, Honor, Autonomy, etc.), does Hoid have an intrinsic intent, and his true name could be something like Artifice or Guile? Not a shard, but something inhuman. Makes me wonder how much Hoid will contribute to SA5 and push the boundaries of non-intervention. 

It could just refer to the Dawnshard he carried.

On 11/23/2023 at 11:48 PM, Johnny Silverlight said:

Does anyone else think that maybe Cusicech opened the Perpendicularities and started the journey to the Fifth Land because of what's going to happen to Roshar when Dalinar duels Odium's champion?

Why now? What would the contest worsen? If danger causes it, why not as the Everstorm appeared?

And a few questions:

1. Why does an Iriali teenager know what the Cosmere is?
  2. Her mother has a Blade. What oath is she on?
  3. How does the exodus practically work? What about bed-ridden nonagenerians?
  4. What happens to mixed people? Rira?

Why now? What would the contest worsen? If danger causes it, why not as the Everstorm appeared?

I would assume it’s something to do with Odium getting more power over Roshar. 

Can remember specifics but I remember hearing certain shards like 

Spoiler

Autonomy 

Can limit travel to their planet through the cognitive realm. Cusicech might have waited till the last possible moment to leave and the everstorm was just a natural disaster but didn’t affect relmatic travel.

Edited by Elite01

5 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Or they have returned. Or they spent that time in Shadesmar.

The important part there is the messenger. The rings scream feruchemist. If we accept that this leaves us with two unsatisfying options

1. This was either Axindweth or somebody from her group. That would mean that Hoid is cooperating with somebody who transported a voidspren.
  2. We are looking at multiple groups of feruchemists.

I did instantly think Axindweth when the rings were mentioned, but she seems like somebody Hoid wouldn’t like very much.

3 hours ago, Elite01 said:

I would assume it’s something to do with Odium getting more power over Roshar.

But does he attain more power? Th contract is designed to limit his power. Even if he finds a loophole, he just avoids the contest.

1 hour ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

I did instantly think Axindweth when the rings were mentioned, but she seems like somebody Hoid wouldn’t like very much.

If it wasn't her, the number of feruchemists on Roshar grows to numbers that are hard to explain. Though if it is her, Hoid risks the Sharders discovering that there is a feruchemist on Roshar. And there is one more thing

(the earlier reading of SA 5)

Spoiler

Hoid was to call for help. The person he was widely speculated to call for was Frost. Frost however heads the 17th Shard. If Frost is called in anyway, why is the Shard still looking for Hoid?

But does he attain more power? Th contract is designed to limit his power. Even if he finds a loophole, he just avoids the contest.

A common theory is that Odium will somehow get Dalinar to break the contract and the repercussions lets him gain power. 

This could be someone interfering like Kaladin trying to save Dalinar if he is going to be killed or Dalinar refusing to kill the champion if you believe in the child champion theory. 

I don’t remember specifics but TavOdium makes it seem like there is still a way for him to win in the end of stormlight 4

So Cusicesh cycles through all those faces in WoK and does that every day. Is it cycling through all the Iriali? Sort of a demonstration that all are One. Or it’s just showing all the people it’s draining, which is mostly Iriali. Still I wonder if it’s a metaphor for all really being part of one whole. 

20 hours ago, alder24 said:

The interlude is now available on Arcanum. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/522-dragonsteel-2023/#e16257

This has an implication for the count. It is the fifth journey to the fifth land. That means that their original homeland is not one of the lands.

On 11/26/2023 at 4:07 AM, Elite01 said:

A common theory is that Odium will somehow get Dalinar to break the contract and the repercussions lets him gain power.

That requires that the interlude be in the very close future with respect to the end of Rythm of War.

There's something about the way Cusicesh spoke that tickles my brain.

Spoiler

“IT IS HERE. I AM TO BE YOUR GUIDE FOR THE FIFTH JOURNEY.”

Specifically the 'I am to be' part, does every Journey have a different Guide?

I imagine so, it would probably be horrifically dangerous to have a giant water Spren pop up on Lumar's Spore Ocean and get sucked dry by the spores, or for the spores to grow so much that it threatens the Iriali.

It would also probably have been brought up in Tress if they had some kind of Kaiju thing pop up every day next to their island.

8 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

There's something about the way Cusicesh spoke that tickles my brain.

Hide contents

“IT IS HERE. I AM TO BE YOUR GUIDE FOR THE FIFTH JOURNEY.”

Specifically the 'I am to be' part, does every Journey have a different Guide?

I imagine so, it would probably be horrifically dangerous to have a giant water Spren pop up on Lumar's Spore Ocean and get sucked dry by the spores, or for the spores to grow so much that it threatens the Iriali.

It would also probably have been brought up in Tress if they had some kind of Kaiju thing pop up every day next to their island.

Yes, this might be the case, unless he can change appearance or his watery body is Cognitive in nature and doesn't interact that much with PR.

However if he was a one time guide then who was their guide from Lumar? Xisis? There is a connection between his appearance and Iriali departure. What if he traveled to Lumar to first guide them towards the new Land and then returned and settled on Lumar permanently?

52 minutes ago, The_Milkgod said:

I am presently unable to listen to the reading, could I get a description of what happened?

Can you read it? It's on the Arcanum now. I've provided the link to the WoB like 5 posts above:

On 11/26/2023 at 2:06 PM, alder24 said:

The interlude is now available on Arcanum. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/522-dragonsteel-2023/#e16257