Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

I think Christopher Eccleston would make an exceptional Dockson.

jW

YES. HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THIS

(Is it bad that at first I read that as "Doctor" instead of "Dockson" and got really confused?)

ETA: John Barrowman as Marsh

Edited by Bugsy6912

Yes. They need to be in this. Honestly though, I'd cast Cumberbatch as TLR

I see Vin and Elend as being new actors (at least relatively).

Also, does anyone else see Bernard Cribbins as Mennis or even Renoux?

I was torn between Cumberbatch and Hiddlestone for TLR. I would be very happy with reversing my roles for them. 

I would also consider NCW as Kelsier, but then I need to find another Marsh and I really like Mark Strong as Marsh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure it's explicitly mentioned that Terrismen have a range of skin tones. I'm not sure where I could find the reference though.

Imagine the Cosmere done like the Marvel Universe is being done right now.

O.O

I have more than one compared the Cosmere to the MCU to explain interconnectedness of stories.

Im not sure if Chris Hemsworth can do the slightly crazy/psychopathic side of Kelsier, and I always imagined Kelsier as pretty slim but....I could get behind that idea.

Edited by Delightful

Or, I know I've picked him as TLR, but Tom Hiddlestone works with Blonde hair and could play Kelsier...

And actually he and Daniel Craig are facially similar enough that Craig could play his older, more rugged, less happy brother and be an awesome Marsh...

Edited by IndigoAjah

I honestly think we'd need middle eastern actors (or people who look like that) to play Ati and Leras. 

And for thematics, a French actor for Kelsier. 

Edited by Varangian

Ati is canonically a red head though!

Realistically, as skin colour just isn't an issue in Mistborn, we can make any character any skin colour really. Their racial issues are from a different angle and having a mix of skin tones in main characters, nobles and Skaa could do well to empathise that.

In a TV or film (personally I think 6 1.5 hour long episodes minseries per book is the way forward) version, they'd likely want to invent or add importance to more female characters too (unless Vin is just that awesome to carry it all, which she might be) - I would imagine Lady Shan being a bigger character for example, and some flashbacks with Mare in TFE.

I can see where Kel being French comes from re the name, but I just cannot imagine him as French

Ati is canonically a red head though!

Realistically, as skin colour just isn't an issue in Mistborn, we can make any character any skin colour really. Their racial issues are from a different angle and having a mix of skin tones in main characters, nobles and Skaa could do well to empathise that.

In a TV or film (personally I think 6 1.5 hour long episodes minseries per book is the way forward) version, they'd likely want to invent or add importance to more female characters too (unless Vin is just that awesome to carry it all, which she might be) - I would imagine Lady Shan being a bigger character for example, and some flashbacks with Mare in TFE.

I can see where Kel being French comes from re the name, but I just cannot imagine him as French

How do you feel about gender flipped crew members? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

There's Allriane and Tindwyl who could be played up as well....the woman who assassinated Straff....

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have any kind of an update on timeline for a movie?  The OP was from like 6 years ago!

Nope.  The rights are currently owned by a studio, but that really means very little when it comes to actually developing anything.  There could be an announcement in the next few months that something is going to start filming, or there could never be.  That's the way these things go.

• 1 month later...

Here's what I've got:

Kelsier: Luke Bracey(he looks just like the cover for  Secret History) or Iain Glen

Marsh: David Wenham(they gotta look like brothers y'all) or Michael McElHatton

Spook: Jamie Bell or Daniel Portman

Vin: Maisie Williams

Sazed: Conleth Hill(first time i saw him on Game Of Thrones i shouted SAZED OHMIGOODNESS)

Breeze: Oliver Platt or Mark Andy

Edit: OH AND BEN WISHAW FOR ELEND

Edited by Meensat968

• 2 weeks later...
On 11 July 2016 at 3:27 PM, Meensat968 said:

Here's what I've got:

Kelsier: Luke Bracey(he looks just like the cover for  Secret History) or Iain Glen

Marsh: David Wenham(they gotta look like brothers y'all) or Michael McElHatton

Spook: Jamie Bell or Daniel Portman

Vin: Maisie Williams

Sazed: Conleth Hill(first time i saw him on Game Of Thrones i shouted SAZED OHMIGOODNESS)

Breeze: Oliver Platt or Mark Andy

Edit: OH AND BEN WISHAW FOR ELEND

Yessss! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that Conleth Hill looked like Sazed! I would see him on screen and just go, 'Sazed, you are Sazed now.' Also, I could totally get behind Maisie Williams as Vin, she definatly looks the part to me, and I think she'd definatly be able to portray Vin as a character.

I could definatly see Elizabeth McGovern as Amartia (I think that's how you spell it), or maybe even Tindwyl.  Also, Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Spook, maybe, or at least in how I see Spook.

I will have to think about my actual response/casting ideas, but I think it's funny that this topic began with many people suggesting Nathan Fillion, and Summer Glau. That was back in 2010.  I feel like NOW....they are too old! They were even too old for the characters back in '10, I think.  Maybe Ellen Page could work.  But as far as Glau and Fillion (while I totally love them BOTH - yay, Firefly fans?) unfortunately I think they're a little past the cutoff point...  Summer Glau is 34 (and Vin is supposed to be a young looking 16) and Fillion is 45, which is a bit older than Kelsier's like 35 (although, arguably, that could work...)  

They'd better get hoppin' on this movie/series or the people we've "casted" are going to have to play old characters.  Nathan Fillion will be Mennis:lol: Just kidding...

One casting I'd considered while reading was Ben Kingsley as Sazed. Not sure if that's been suggested yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely some good names on this list, but having just watched Stranger Things on Netflix, and knowing that it will be at least a couple of years before this becomes a thing, I have to go with Millie Bobby Brown as someone who can transition from fragile, paranoid waif to strong vengeful slayer as Vin. 

Edited by D-Lord Chuckles

I've read through quite a bit of this thread, so I've seen some of the suggestions that are most common. Here are a couple of my ideas.

I saw someone post HUGH LAURIE for Clubs. Me too!!!!! Though not with the posh British accent. More House than Blackadder.

Anyone seen Sanctuary? Stargate Atlantis? Tall dark and only partly a bad guy. I'm talking about Christopher Heyerdahl. Im stuck between him for a couple of roles, either:

Clubs...he can do a very good grumpy face. Think Todd in Stargate when he's mad at John.

Marsh...serious brooding face. Think him playing Halling in Stargate Atlantis. 

Spoiler

Also Imagine him with head spikes for when he's an Inquisitor.

Straff Venture...angry/judgemental/stern face. Think John from Sanctuary, Bald and cool as all hell...although he would be playing a nasty bad guy for about 5 minutes in this role.

And Finally, Joe Flanigan, also Stargate Atlantis. I thought Kelsier to start with, but im leaning more toward Wax now...

Edited by TheBillPN

One I'm honestly astonished to never have seen suggested here, as it fits perfectly in my head (mainly thanks to the Audiobook version of Mistborn having such fantastic voicework by Michael Kramer), is....

Stephen Fry as Breeze. If you've listened to the audiobook of Mistborn, then just recall the way he enunciates "Delegation" in it, and try and tel me I'm wrong ^_^

Edited by Rawrbert

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first post here, but this is a topic I've thought about for a long time.  I have two sets of ideas for Kelsier and Marsh.  My Idea for Elend and Vin might be a few years in the making due to their age, but since Hollywood is taking their time, it shouldn't be a problem.  And the guy I've chosen for Sazed was born to play Sazed.  Hopefully these pictures will upload here without any problems.

Nikolaj Coster Waldau Josh Holloway Kelsier Marsh Casting Mistborn.jpg

Cooper Schreiber Kelsier Marsh Casting Mistborn.jpg

ASA and RAFFEY Mistborn Casting.jpg

Lance Reddick Sazed Casting Mistborn.jpg