Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

I disagree with this sentiment. The Terris people must be unified as a race. If Sazed, the main Terrisman in the story, were cast as black, and the Lord Ruler were not, then the big reveal at the end would not ring true for most people, for obvious reasons.

If, on the other hand, every Terris person including the Lord Ruler were portrayed by African Americans, and everyone else were white, connecting the dots would be far too easy.

A movie adaption must be internally consistent, and for this to work, it must not only be believable that the Lord Ruler could be a part of the same race as Sazed, but it must also stand to reason that no one else would've figured it out in the past thousand years. If the Terris people had darker skin than anyone else in the Final Empire, and the Lord Ruler looked just like them, you'd think someone would've realized that fact before the book began. So unless you want to cast everyone black, Sazed cannot be portrayed by Morgan Freeman. [/rant]

We've actually got quotes from the Mistborn novels that say Terris people vary in skin tone from light to dark; I have always thought of them like Jewish people who vary from the darker-skinned Middle-Eastern variety to the lighter-skinned European variety.

Also, I'm a conservative white guy from Tennessee and even I have to ask, "So what if the Terris people were all portrayed as black in a movie adaptation?"

That said, I don't really care for Morgan Freeman as Sazed. Mr. Freeman is getting along in years and Sazed has quite a few action scenes that wouldn't seem to fit a senior citizen very convincingly. Now, if you want a black guy for Sazed, I think Samuel L. Jackson would be an interesting - albeit unconventional - choice (I mean, he has a distinctive voice and would definitely portray the rebellious steward / not-so-meek Terrisman aspect of Sazed. B)

OK. for Sazed, I might suggest John Malkovich... dunno how tall he is though. Or Arnold Vosloo, the guy from the mummy. I know... Malkovich is kind of creepy, but I think he could really get the mannerisms of Sazed down.

Though could you imagine John Malkovich fighting? His muscles swelling up when he taps his pewter minds? :D

I propose Camren Bicondova (she plays Selena Kyle in Gotham) for Vin. I think she'd be awesome. 

Now bearing in mind I have only seen season 1 of Gotham, this could have changed but she does have the look and could handle the physical stuff, but she is a poor actress in my opinion. If she has improved dramatically I could maybe see it though.

Original Trilogy: all British accents

Kelsier - James Purefoy

Vin - Dakota Blue Richards or someone new

Dockson - Rowan Atkinson

Breeze - Stephen Fry

Ham - Michael Socha

Marsh- Mark Strong

Spook - Isaac Hempstead Wright

Clubs - Sean Connery

Elend - Max Irons or someone new

Straff Venture - Jeremy Irons

Shan Elariel - Jessica Findlay Brown

Lord Renoux - Hugh Lawrie

Sazed - Benedict Cumberbatch

Lord Ruler - Tom Hiddlestone

Ruin - Damien Lewis

Preservation - Damian Molony

Hoid - David Tennant

Kelsier - James Purefoy (I also like NCW)

Dockson - Rowan Atkinson

Breeze - Stephen Fry

Ham - Michael Socha

Marsh- Mark Strong

Spook - Isaac Hempstead Wright (might be too young with a Vin over 20...)

Clubs - Sean Connery

Elend - Max Irons or someone completely new

Ruin - Alan Tudyk

Hoid - David Tennant?

Zane - Ben Barnes or Max Irons if Elend is a newbie

Tindwyl- Tilda Swinton

Alliane- interesting different role for Sophie Turner? Or Ella Purnell?

Cett- Billy Connolly

Penrod- Anthony Head

TenSoon- Charles Dance

Yomen- Idris Elba

Quellion- Charlie Cox

Berdre- Alicia Vikander

Wax and Wayne: American accents - on its way

Edited by IndigoAjah

The problem I have with casting choices is that they are almost all too old.  A lot of people are saying Summer Glau for Vin, for instance, which may have worked years ago, but it's been 11 years since Serenity and she's now about thirty-five years old.  I could see, for instance, Ben Kingsley as a Terrisman, perhaps the Lord Ruler or Sazed, but I'm thinking of him twenty years ago, not today.

Another issue is that if you DID get, for instance, Summer Glau to play Vin she'd be basically too similar to her role in Serenity/Firefly.  It would take away from the movie because she's already done that role; she's already played a broken, mistrusting person who becomes a dealer of death.  For instance, Arnold Schwartzenegger has done so many similar roles you no longer see him as who he's playing, he's just Arnie in a different time period/situation.

I almost think that in a film the best bet would be a brand new cast that's not really known for anything; perhaps some talented younger stage actors that have the talent but not the face recognition, with perhaps one or two A-listers to put on the posters in supporting roles.

It would also save a LOT of money casting yet-to-be-knowns so that extra could be used on better special effects and such.

But that's obviously not as fun as mentally casting people already known.

Typically, what these shows/movies do is cast young unknowns as the young, main cast (see GoT) but established actors in the supporting roles. Really, most of the screen time will be taken by the young unknowns anyway, so it wouldn't cost that much to have experienced actors in other roles. Especially as actors like Purefoy and Cumberbatch are very happy to come and do shows on the BBC which by definition do not make a profit

That said, Dakota Blue Richards is hardly a hollywood big name, she's very very good and she's the right age for Vin ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I always pictured Breeze as a portly light-skinned black man.

As for Saze, I pictured him extremely pale-gray with stretched ears and a long face, with an air of prudent responsibility. Sazed is "the dutiful butler and scholar"

As for Vin and Elend, the covers sort of filled those two in for me. I liked Christian McGrath's interpretations as the writing confirmed.

I didn't really have any particular ideas about who the other characters would look like. The writing sort of spoke for itself. I have images in my mind but it's sort of hard to describe. There's always a character in every book whom I envision similar in appearance to myself, although with some changes due to the personality and morals of that character.

I pictured Reen/Ruin and Spook both that way, but with Spook it wasn't until the third book.

Kelsier I had imagined as Elend on the cover art of the third book. It wasn't until the final act of the first book that I knew it couldn't be Kelsier; either that or the art was chosen wrong.

Edited by areckx

• 2 weeks later...

Kelsier - James Purefoy

Dockson - Rowan Atkinson

Breeze - Stephen Fry

Ham - Michael Socha

Marsh- Mark Strong

Spook - Isaac Hempstead Wright

Clubs - Sean Connery

Elend - Max Irons or someone new

Ruin - Damien Lewis

Hoid - David Tennant

Kelsier - James Purefoy (I also like NCW)

Dockson - Rowan Atkinson

Breeze - Stephen Fry

Ham - Michael Socha

Marsh- Mark Strong

Spook - Isaac Hempstead Wright (might be too young with a Vin over 20...)

Clubs - Sean Connery

Elend - Max Irons or someone completely new

Ruin - Alan Tudyk

Hoid - David Tennant?

Zane - Ben Barnes or Max Irons if Elend is a newbie

Tindwyl- Tilda Swinton

Alliane- interesting different role for Sophie Turner? Or Ella Purnell?

Cett- Billy Connolly

Penrod- Anthony Head

TenSoon- Charles Dance

Yomen- Idris Elba

Quellion- Charlie Cox

Berdre- Alicia Vikander

Wax and Wayne: American accents - on its way

• 3 weeks later...

Hoid - David Tennant

Yes. They need to be in this. Honestly though, I'd cast Cumberbatch as TLR

I see Vin and Elend as being new actors (at least relatively).

Also, does anyone else see Bernard Cribbins as Mennis or even Renoux?

Edited by Bugsy6912