Issues after 2023 site upgrade

Paleo

Hey, I know this seems to have been addressed before, but I haven't really been getting notifications for status updates that people are making. A bunch of people have been making ones, ik, and I haven't been getting notifs for them all day.

23 minutes ago, Experience said:

This problem also appears when replying to PM's

It seems it's just some delay; after ten seconds it does go through. EDIT: Only on PMs, not profiles for whatever reason.

18 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Hey, I know this seems to have been addressed before, but I haven't really been getting notifications for status updates that people are making. A bunch of people have been making ones, ik, and I haven't been getting notifs for them all day.

Did you try this? 

Hopefully there is a notification setup that works for you all, but obviously, we are at the mercy of the software vendor. It seems they have changed such things. This is unlikely to be something we can fix, but maybe there's an extension for it.

It seems you can definitely create an Activity Stream for status updates, and set it to only show people you want to follow. Not quite a notification, but may work. Press the newspaper icon at the top.

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It seems it's just some delay; after ten seconds it does go through.

Did you try this? 

Hopefully there is a notification setup that works for you all, but obviously, we are at the mercy of the software vendor. It seems they have changed such things. This is unlikely to be something we can fix, but maybe there's an extension for it.

I tried that, but it doesn't work... It gives me notifications whenever the members that I follow post in any place on the forums.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

It seems you can definitely create an Activity Stream for status updates, and set it to only show people you want to follow. Not quite a notification, but may work. Press the newspaper icon at the top.

Yeah, maybe I'll try that. It seems super annoying, but I guess we just have to do what we have to do, at least for now. Hopefully we can find out a way to have the same affect as how it was going before.

I feel like the streams will probably be more managable, but sorry the functionality went away.

Though amusingly, the "reply's aren't appearing on SU responses" isn't an issue if you look at it from Activity Streams.

16 minutes ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Also, just a quick question about the update, I noticed that some users have hands next to their profile pictures, what do those signify?

On PC you can hover over badges to get a description - it seems the "hand" icon is a "Wave, this member joined recently" badge. 

PS: I know it's only day one, but can I ask if I am the only one really bugged by the thread sidebar stuff? It's not the data , it the fact that as soon as you scroll passed that box of data, it's 1/4 of the screen that is just blank gray  - feels like so much wasted space. If only it floated and was always in view (maybe) - just would be better as a header than a sidebar.

Edited by Treamayne
PS:

2 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

that is actually dope. I love it. it's kinda like a spoiler box. 

In the quote box it looks weird.

And also when I tried to use page breaks for a RP post, it just wouldn't show the text even though when I went in to edit it, it was all there.

1 minute ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Sorry for the double post, but this is actually the reason for this post. I can't seem to find the Edit button, did that get moved from its spot near the quote button?

It is now in the dropdown menu for some reason.

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It is now in the dropdown menu for some reason.

oh, ok, thank you. 

1 minute ago, Experience said:

You no longer receive a push notification from PMs? Only the notification that shows that you have PMs. Is this intentional?

if it is, good. If it isn't, I like it and think we should keep it, they annoyed me super badly.

Edited by Being of Cacophony

Status Updates don't appear to be giving people notifications. Either that or they are very delayed (like 10 minutes).

On mobile, the side bar with all the info for each thread shows up in between the first and second post of the page. It seems like it should be either before the first post or after the last post, right?

Also, Status Updates still give you a notification for every. single. reply. Is there a plan to fix this?

Edited by Experience

10 minutes ago, Experience said:

Status Updates don't appear to be giving people notifications. Either that or they are very delayed (like 10 minutes).

On mobile, the side bar with all the info for each thread shows up in between the first and second post of the page. It seems like it should be either before the first post or after the last post, right?

Also, Status Updates still give you a notification for every. single. reply. Is there a plan to fix this?

Yes it is in a weird place. I have to search for it every time.

15 minutes ago, Experience said:

How did the old site do it? I'm getting confused what people are wanting in these notifications for status updates.

Honestly this core functionality is probably not a thing we can fix without going into the code. Again, it's at the mercy of the software package; it probably is what it is.

How did the old site do it? I'm getting confused what people are wanting in these notifications for status updates.

Honestly this core functionality is probably not a thing we can fix without going into the code. Again, it's at the mercy of the software package; it probably is what it is.

That was an issue before the site updated. I was just wondering if it was possible to fix now.

2 minutes ago, Experience said:

That was an issue before the site updated. I was just wondering if it was possible to fix now.

I think that's the intended and proper behavior. Otherwise people would be like, "I wasn't notified for this reply!" 

I think that's the intended and proper behavior. Otherwise people would be like, "I wasn't notified for this reply!" 

But in a thread if there are multiple people that reply it says x y and z + 3 others replied. Couldn't it do that for status updates as well instead of all being separate notifications? Plus, it only says that they replied to a status update, not which one they replied to so you can't know unless you click on every single one.

3 minutes ago, Experience said:

But in a thread if there are multiple people that reply it says x y and z + 3 others replied. Couldn't it do that for status updates as well instead of all being separate notifications? Plus, it only says that they replied to a status update, not which one they replied to so you can't know unless you click on every single one.

I suppose, but there are also a lot of things that notify you at each one. And status updates don't have titles like threads, so they couldn't do the last one.

Anyway, sounds like for your use case you probably don't want that notification type.

Edit: Wish I had more things useful to say, but that's just how the software works I'm afraid.