So....who wants to play some D&D?

Eerongal

What wand? I dOn't have one. Also, I rI'll d20 or d100? I am guessing d20

D20. Most rolls are on a D20 in this game. It's a D20 + your initiative modifier (also, the wand guy was just the figure i chose at random :P)

How many feet in one tile?

1 square = 5 feet. Feel free to talk in squares or feet, whichever you find easier.

So, for example, if you can go 30 feet, you can move 6 squares in one move action.

Every round, you get 1 standard action, 1swift/immediate action, and 1 move action, or 1 full round action and 1 swift/immediate action. In one move action, you can move up to your speed, or 5-foot step (1 square) every round. A 5-foot step action is special, and takes no action, but you can only take one when you do no other movement. It's special because it provokes no attack of opportunities. So it's mostly used to shift outside of someone's threat range and still use a full round action, or just not to get hit.

If I cast a round spell, will it work before Kobolds run away?

if the casting time is 1 round, it will come into effect at the start of your next turn, and will take your entire turn to cast. It also means it could be interrupted if you get attacked before your next turn (concentration check to avoid). If it's a full round action, it comes into effect when your turn ends. If its standard/swift, it comes into effect at the end of that action.

Ok, I'm reading over the SRD. What do I want to build for if I'm going to fill the meatshield role? (survivability? control?) How do enemies generally choose their targets?

Depends on the enemy. Some are mindless and lash out at the nearest enemy, some are just dumb and attack whatever hurts them most, some are smart and calculating and will go after the most dangerous first, etc.

As far as what you want, you want some nice, heavy armor, a high con score, and a high cha score at least. Con will factor in to HP, and your cha adds to all of your saves as a paladin. Also, strength for damage can't hurt.

Alright, I've got some idea of how this works, but...

I have zero knowledge of the setting, so I have no idea how to choose a deity for my paladin to follow.

Since we seem to be doing a crossover-type setting anyway, is there any chance I could import a deity from, I don't know, a fantasy book or something? I would basically assume that said deity has a small group of followers in this world, and grants power to them by the D&D rules, rather than the rules that hold in their own world.

Or would that be too much of a fourth-wall break? (Or, alternately, difficult to balance).

Alternately I could tell you which deity I'm looking at and someone more familiar with whichever D&D setting we are using might know of a local deity with a similar personality or philosophy.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Edited by Rayonn

Alright, I've got some idea of how this works, but...

I have zero knowledge of the setting, so I have no idea how to choose a deity for my paladin to follow.

Since we seem to be doing a crossover-type setting anyway, is there any chance I could import a deity from, I don't know, a fantasy book or something? I would basically assume that said deity has a small group of followers in this world, and grants power to them by the D&D rules, rather than the rules that hold in their own world.

Or would that be too much of a fourth-wall break? (Or, alternately, difficult to balance).

Alternately I could tell you which deity I'm looking at and someone more familiar with whichever D&D setting we are using might know of a local deity with a similar personality or philosophy.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

what sort of deity are you looking for? we could easily slap one together, the only thing really needed to make it compatible would be to assign domains to it. However, if that deity all ready has something similar, you could just use.

Why did you spoil their innocence Eerongal? Defiler!! :D

I suppose it is better to get Pun Pun out of the way early, so you don't have a Paladin with Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion) knocking on your door...

Also, in the HYHY thread, I am thinking of jumping in as the wagon "driver"...and I have a good idea on how to weave myself into this.

Why did you spoil their innocence Eerongal? Defiler!! :D

I suppose it is better to get Pun Pun out of the way early, so you don't have a Paladin with Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion) knocking on your door...

Also, in the HYHY thread, I am thinking of jumping in as the wagon "driver"...and I have a good idea on how to weave myself into this.

That could work. I certainly have no issue with it

Detect Ruin!

Thor: somebody with a proper d20 HD would be nice, please. And natural 20AC

Nothing very high initially, though I will get a LOT better as we level. My build will take a few levels before it will really shine, but until then I will do my best. Low-level D&D is rocket tag anyway, so my current stats aren't much worse than a barbarian or fighter, and by 7-8th level, I will have passed them.

Also, I hope my post in the HYHY thread isn't too overbearing/controlling, Eerongal. Also it may take me a bit to get used to writing in first person; I am used to roleplaying in third person. And I am usually much less wordy than in that post...

Backstory update that is relevant to the HYHY thread: I moved the church/convent/temple/thing of Halmyr so that it effectively becomes the main church of the area, so my character's order is very well known in the region. It then follows that Turjan would have visited at least once, possibly more if he is a native to the area. I decided to have Sael know Turjan fairly well, in an attempt to weave myself into the story. If I overstepped, please let me know. :)

Edit: Punctuation...

Edited by Thor

Nope, it looks like your intro should be fine, i'll write up a response from Turjan later, but I gather from the post that you want it so that you and Turjan are previously acquainted/friends?

Good to know. To the question: yes, it would probably work best.

Edited by Thor