Invention

Torchman

19 minutes ago, Torchman said:

Having fun speculating and I wondered what Invention's planet would be like. Maybe a ruler know as The Great Innovator. Someone who creates fantastic new ideas. Any thoughts to what the magic system would be like?

I wonder if the system will be equatable to the Fabrials on Roshar or the Spores in ToES; there would be little direct magical effect with people, but in contrast there would be opportunity for intelligent beings to harness the natural interactions to create magical phenomenon. That would be the closest thing to Invention's Intent, I would think.

Edited by Trusk'our

12 hours ago, Torchman said:

Having fun speculating and I wondered what Invention's planet would be like. Maybe a ruler know as The Great Innovator. Someone who creates fantastic new ideas. Any thoughts to what the magic system would be like?

The intent of the Shard mostly defines how the power is obtained in their invested art (not to say that invested art isn't defined by the intent, it is, but this doesn't have to be a very obvious connection). Invention is creative ability, a gift changing the society - it most likely would be end-positive and everyone could use it, very similar to Endowment's Awakening or Fabrials. It would be fitting that Invention's invested art would be around creating devices to harness fundamental forces, so they can be used by anyone on their planet. But to be fair it can be anything.

Spoiler

Chaos

Allomancy provides many very dramatic effects, which some have noted is not very much like Preservation. Could you walk me through how Allomancy is of Preservation, though it does dramatic, dynamic things?

Brandon Sanderson

One of the 'basics' of the magic in all of the worlds is that the energy of Shards can fuel all kinds of interactions, not just interactions based on their personality/role. I did this because otherwise, the Magics would all be extremely limited.

The 'role' of the Shard has to do with the WAY the magic is obtained, not what it can do. So, in Preservation's case, the magic is a gift--allowing a person to preserve their own strength, and rely upon the strength granted by the magic. While Hemalurgy has a huge cost, ending in net entropy.

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Aug. 31, 2011)

12 hours ago, Aeoryi said:

There is a post I think about this: Shard combos or smth

Yes, we did a lot of worldbuilding for different Invention magic systems. Invention just kept coming back:

My money is on Invention's Planet itself being something fairly unique that they Created with a particular Purpose in mind, along the lines of the "Roshar is a Fabrial" theories.  

EDIT:   Alternatively, it's populated by a metal automaton race.  

Edited by Quantus