Anybody Else Unsatisfied with the Ending?

On 7.07.2023 at 11:21 PM, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

However, the Shroud (and with it, the Nightmares) dissipate at the end, and the whole mood of Kilahito that I loved so much just fell apart. I like brainstorming my own stories in these settings. For worlds like Roshar, I love that feeling that the world existed long before you or the characters and that it will continue once you stop reading and the characters die. Even though the ending was magnificent, the loss of such an amazing setting dampened it slightly for me. Was this the case for anyone else?

The setting simply changed, now they all play "floor is lava" everyday which I think is hilarious a very interesting setting to discover for a modern society, as now they all have to adapt to the fact that the ground burns them and all water will likely evaporate. 

But I agree, the Shroud was cool. It's sad it's gone now.

On 15.07.2023 at 3:16 PM, Treamayne said:

I think we can also agree that, whatever descriptor you use, Yumi spends the first two parts fluxuating between two extremes that amount to "you will do what I want and I will do what I want."

Because Nikaro told her to make her own choices in his world. You really dislike her that she went shopping when she didn't have clothes at all and had to wear some weird things? You made this argument earlier, that's why I bring it up. I was angry at Nikaro for not even having a thought to take her immediately to a shop to buy her clothes. At least he could have told her how to properly wear those clothes. This wasn't a problem in her world. I was also frustrated at Nikaro for allowing her to sleep on the floor for so long, instead of giving her his bed - he didn't need any bed!

On 15.07.2023 at 3:16 PM, Treamayne said:

she gets randomly saved by plot armor (which, to me, undermined her sacrifice). 

On 17.07.2023 at 6:05 PM, The Sibling said:

Her sacrifice was such an important piece or her arc, and it seemed so pointless when she just came back. Other than that, I liked the ending.

I said it in a different thread already, this wasn't her character arc. Her arc was about being Yuki-Hjio, who has responsibilities and has to sacrifice herself, or Yumi, who can choose for herself and simply be happy. Yumi dying in a sacrifice would destroy 400 pages of her character development, and all of the times where she learned to choose, to be happy, to love, to have friends and to be Yumi - all of this would be in vain and she would be back to page 1. Hoid emphasized that she wanted to be real and stay, and that was to complete her character arc. She already made a sacrifice, she was sacrificing herself every day for 1700 years, one more sacrifice wouldn't matter.

10 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I said it in a different thread already, ..., one more sacrifice wouldn't matter.

Can we please just agree that subjective material is . . . subjective. I understand how you arrived at your conclusions. I did not arrive at those conclusions when I read the book.

Also as previously mentioned, it is possible that my opinion will change when I reread YNP, Until then, just please accept that I was never trying to "convert" anybody's opinion - I was simply explaining how and why I came to the conclusions I did. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

4 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Can we please just agree that subjective material is . . . subjective. I understand how you arrived at your conclusions. I did not arrive at those conclusions when I read the book.

Also as previously mentioned, it is possible that my opinion will change when I reread YNP, Until then, just please accept that I was never trying to "convert" anybody's opinion - I was simply explaining how and why I came to the conclusions I did. 

Fully agree. You can have your own opinion and dislike it. I don't try to convert you, just spark a discussion and give my opinion. Unfortunately I'm a bit late to the party. 

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

Fully agree. You can have your own opinion and dislike it. I don't try to convert you, just spark a discussion and give my opinion. Unfortunately I'm a bit late to the party. 

I apologize for misinterpreting your post.

The perceived tone was "this is the only valid interpretation of Yumi's character arc" rather than "this is my interpretation of Yumi's character arc."

40 minutes ago, alder24 said:

The setting simply changed, now they all play "floor is lava" everyday which I think is hilarious a very interesting setting to discover for a modern society, as now they all have to adapt to the fact that the ground burns them and all water will likely evaporate.

The ground in Kalihoto isn't as hot as it was before the machine.

23 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

I apologize for misinterpreting your post.

No problem. I wrote it not precisely enough and didn't avoid this tone you saw, which wasn't my intention.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

The ground in Kalihoto isn't as hot as it was before the machine.

Was it said somewhere? The 2nd epilogue didn't say that. It said they needed new planets from ruins and shade for "normal plants" - for me that's clearly indicating that the planet is back to how it was before the Shroud. There is no reason for the planet to get suddenly cooler in just 1700 years. But still the planet will need some time to get hotter, a few days or week or so. 

7 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Was it said somewhere?

YNP Epilogue 2:

Spoiler

Turns out, a number of the spirits liked being hion lines, and were persuaded to continue in that service—with proper payment. That kept the heat of the ground down to something manageable. 

Just now, Treamayne said:

YNP Epilogue 2:

Hide contents

Turns out, a number of the spirits liked being hion lines, and were persuaded to continue in that service—with proper payment. That kept the heat of the ground down to something manageable. 

Oh. "Floor is the warm sand" isn't that fun anymore :( 

36 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Oh. "Floor is the warm sand" isn't that fun anymore :( 

Or more fun. I took it to be more of "stone ground is "ondol" now" as opposed to "Raised clogs or you will lose a limb" hot. 

Spoiler

PS: Beware the Fan Death

PPS: Also out of rep for the day. . . 

Edited by Treamayne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 4:41 PM, Saxsoon said:

Not really to be honest. In fact I imagine the noodle shop becoming a waystation in Era 4 for world hoppers. I don't think this is the last we see of all this world at all.

I don't think this will be the last we see of the noodle shop either. As for being unhappy with the ending, I'm not as upset with it as some are, but I do wish we could've seen what Yumi's and Painter's reactions would be if they were there when Hoid unfroze and started moving again Haha

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, Frustration said:

Yeah a little bit, but for much different reasons. 

I make military analysis of Cosmere worlds(this one should be along at some point) and the world before the machine and the one covered in the shroud were both much more powerful than what was left over.

Really? Considering the new world is a fusion of both, I would think it's superior from a military standpoint.

The shroud is gone, so all the resources directed towards providing light and the Nightmare Painters can be redirected to more productive ends. And now the ground is warm but not so hot that it warps society around it and requires everyone to devote resources to surviving the ground and floating buildings.

Hion remains, and is a fantastic power source that could easily be used for weaponry, and there are now free spirits that can be drawn out by historical dramas to create fabrials.

The implication is that there are no more yoki-hijo which is a weakness, but the hion more than makes up for that I thought 

• 1 month later...

I feel like there is still more unknown about Kilahito than known. Whenever that feels like the case, I avoid making judgements for (however many..sigh) years it takes to get a full picture. Overall, I was happy with the book, ending included, as there is a lot left open. That may change in the future though.