Fantasycon reading

Delightful

After WoR I resolved to avoid spoilers for the next book, so that I could enjoy it on its own merits. Time to break that resolve: 4 seconds

I do want to chime in with Argent about the "child born without a face" line. That also struck me as a reference to the Unmade.

After WoR I resolved to avoid spoilers for the next book, so that I could enjoy it on its own merits. Time to break that resolve: 4 seconds

Assuming you've read the first two books I don't think reading the first chapter of the next book counts as a spoiler.  At least not in the sense of it spoiling the story for you.  It is just a looong wait between chapters. :rolleyes:

I believe (evidence from the video) he only read from the 3rd book of the series. As to any possible Q&A sessions, nothing's popped up yet.

No he also read from Legion 2 and Alcatraz 5, we just don't have video for them (at least none that I've seen).

I do want to chime in with Argent about the "child born without a face" line. That also struck me as a reference to the Unmade.

Me too. And (I can't remember now if someone's already pointed this out), in this same passage, Kaladin recognises Syl's emotion even though she hasn't manifested a face yet. Could be relevant, could just be that Brandon wrote the same concept twice because it's a first draft and only one is actually relevant....hard to tell at this stage.

On a side note, I noticed Tor had an article with Weiry's transcription and the video, I was just wondering if they get their info from 17th Shard in general on this kind of thing?

On a side note, I noticed Tor had an article with Weiry's transcription and the video, I was just wondering if they get their info from 17th Shard in general on this kind of thing?

I'd posted about my transcription in the comments of the then most recent re-read, because people were talking about it, which is how I think they learned about it.

Hmmm, Kal tells us how the Everstorm has disrupted the Weeping by pushing the clouds away but every other Weeping has a Highstorm in the middle of it. Should the Highstorm not have the same effect as the Everstorm? It is still around the middle of the Weeping so apart from the direction would the results on the current weather patterns be that unfamiliar?

(Obviously the Everstorm is destroying things in its path but its effect on the weather itself is what I'm enquiring about.)

• 1 month later...

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum. I was rereading WOK and found this. I hope it isn't foreshadowing the rest of the chapter!

The death rattle from Chapter 3 City of Bells:

"A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears."

Or maybe it's Szeth, visiting his homeland/getting back to it. And maybe those tears will help him regain his humanity ( the child can be a metaphore of innocence or purity of heart ). I can't wait for the next book :)

EDIT : my reasoning behind that is Shinovar isn't protected at ALL against a highstorm, so imagine if the Everstorm was to hit that land at full force...

Oh, and welcome Syleena !

Edited by Kheran

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this transcript, I've a question, did Kaladin encounter the highstorm during his journey? The reason being, according to Rosharan scholars Urithiru is at centre of continent, in Emul or Tu Bayla,& so when Kaladin is going to Alethkar he should meet the highstorm which is blowing westward from the shattered plains. So if he did meet it, why didn't his depleted gems get filled up with stormlight & if he did not meet it, then why not? One reason in that case that I can think of is highstorm doesn't blow for the complete area under a specific longitude, that it occurs in patches of areas & Kal might have avoided it.

Edited by harry31j97

After reading this transcript, I've a question, did Kaladin encounter the highstorm during his journey? The reason being, according to Rosharan scholars Urithiru is at centre of continent, in Emul or Tu Bayla,& so when Kaladin is going to Alethkar he should meet the highstorm which is blowing westward from the shattered plains. So if he did meet it, why didn't his depleted gems get filled up with stormlight & if he did not meet it, then why not? One reason in that case that I can think of is highstorm doesn't blow for the complete area under a specific longitude, that it occurs in patches of areas & Kal might have avoided it.

I believe Kaladin's timing was just off. The highstormed summoned by the Stormfather at the end of Words of Radiance must have passed over (under) Urithiru while everyone was still getting there and figuring out how to go on with their lives. So we have a point of references, let's say Kaladin left Urithiru just as the storm was leaving it too - but they obviously moved in opposite directions. By the time Kaladin was close to his destination, the Everstorm had circled the planet and caught up with him, all before a new highstorm could show up.

Edited by Argent

Dalinar, Kaladin & co were at Urithiru at the same time that highstorm was at shattered plains. I don't see Kaladin waiting much before setting out for his home to give the warning. So for highstorm to pass him before that (i.e. cross the half the continent), it would have to move very fast & so it would have to be much more frequent than is shown in books (that is if we consider it to circle around planet & come to origin again rather than it getting dissipated at west coast & getting started anew at the origin after a long interval).

I thought he took the Oathgate back to the shattered plains and then  flew  fell westwards towards Hearthstone from there.

Ah, here's the quote from WeiryWriter's transcription :

He’d changed uniforms before leaving, taking the Oathgate to the Shattered Plains then streaking into the sky and rushing in desperation for Alethkar.

Edited by Zea mays

Ah... My bad. Thanks for the quote. One question though, why was he chasing the highstorm instead of going the way I assumed he was going? My route would have provided him with stormlight on the way & the warning he wanted to give was about everstorm, not highstorm anyway, so even if there was a delay, it wouldn't have much mattered.

Ah... My bad. Thanks for the quote. One question though, why was he chasing the highstorm instead of going the way I assumed he was going? My route would have provided him with stormlight on the way & the warning he wanted to give was about everstorm, not highstorm anyway, so even if there was a delay, it wouldn't have much mattered.

If we assume that Urithiru is in the mountains near the Nightwatcher's valley, the distance from Urithiru looks further on the map of Roshar and involves crossing a mountain range.  The recharging from the storm would have helped as you point out.  He doesn't have that much experience that he could calculate precisely, I suspect. 

What is interesting is that his route from the Shattered Plains to Hearthstone passed nearly over Kholinar.  They could have set up a Stormlight refill for him there using spanreeds (or he could have just tried to negotiate it himself).  During his trip, he could get a sense of how far an infused gem would take him.  With a refill anywhere along the way, he should have been able to make it before the Everstorm. 

But who am I kidding?  He is meant to fail and arrive after the Everstorm for the plot.  Shutting up now ...

• 7 months later...

So I've just read the first two books back to back, to my husbands dismay. But anyways, I'm not sure the Parshmen need to be outside to be transformed by the Everstorm. For the original transformations in that Highstorm yes they needed to be exposed and have a Spren with them but this is the Everstorm! Those spren and red lighting are zipping around in it, it was brought on by that song. Maybe that song of transformation lives in the Ever storm not needing to be sung by the Parshmen.

Rlain didn't transform so that is something odd though. Maybe he was able to escape thru the oath gate before he was changed?

Rlain didn't transform so that is something odd though. Maybe he was able to escape thru the oath gate before he was changed?

Well, he did, just not into a voidform. Eshonai's interlude implied that the process is not entirely forced on the Listeners - they have to, at least initially, agree to the bond.

The Parshendi had to agree to the bond. The regular parshmen don't have any independent volition, no will of their own. That said, no one seems to know exactly how the storm will affect them. (For one thing it wrecks traditionaly built shelters so being inside won't keep you safe ;) )

• 3 months later...

Well, he did, just not into a voidform. Eshonai's interlude implied that the process is not entirely forced on the Listeners - they have to, at least initially, agree to the bond.

Rlain is also a bit of an oddity in that he is a member of bridge 4 who seem to be taking on the whole squire role. If investiture works by filling in the cracks left in someone's soul (not exactly precise but I hope you all know what I mean) then I would think once one thing is there it's not so easy for another to take effect. If Rlain is already being changed by his association with Kala din maybe there was metephorically no space left for a one of the little devil spren to fit into him