LOL I have not, LOl the Wife doesn't let me gt into collectable card games anymore even if I did have the disposable money to do so.

That's a shame, but maybe you'll be fortunate enough to find someone who has it and would teach you.  He/she would likely have several decks put together.  It's super fun!  You solve problems instead of fighting your opponent! :D   (We're not really big spenders with anything except games, so we make an exception for those with the budget.)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I saw the Wierd Al episode.

Confession; I didn't go into it expecting much. I don't know much about Wierd Al, besides the song he provided for the Transformers film, and voicing Wrek-Gar in Animated. The episode didn't sound that great to me; not bad, just okay.

...wow was I wrong.
This might be my favourite single episode of season 4.

Every time I watch it, I find another meaning to it, but my favourite is that it's a commentary on fans, fan fiction, canon and canon. Cheese has all the attributes of being an OC from a bad fan fiction; his appearance, voice and mannerisms wpuld fit with someone who just wrote "he's Wierd Al as a pony". He not only has the same talent as Pinkie Pie, he does it better than her; he has a bigger canon, his banner is more profesional looking than Pinkies, and where she was doing everything on her own, he convinced the whole town to help him, and create an amazing area in no time at all.

His backstory is suspiciously similar, with Pinkie chiming in "Me too!" to remind us of it. She has a Pinkie Sense; he has a Cheesy Sense. His "western" poncho look taps in to that familiar pop culture thing of making characters who are "dark" and "brooding".

He's a funny guy, incredibly animated and well voiced, but one could definitely argue he comes across like a male Pinkie 2.0. He even goes as far as interacting with all her friends, effectively replacing her in the Mane Six.

...but as the goof off shows, he didn't intend any of it. He seemed as surprised as anyone at Pinkie's forfeit (and implicit member ship into the Mane Six); I doubt he intended to win at all. And when he confesses his real past to Pinkie, it feels like the writers pointing out that, as cool as fandom is, the show is the story of the Mane Six. Cheese was inspired by Pinkie Pie (in-universe and out), but he can never replace her. He only exists because of her presence, the same way awesome fan fiction, music, etc onlyg exists because of FiM itself.

And none of the above considers the other elements of the episode; the message about Pride, both as a harmful force, and a good one; about doing things you enjoy without needing to be the best at them; at the whole concept of identity, and whether someone can be defined by a singular trait.

EDIT While I'm on the topic... I think the Power Ponies episode has a very similar message. From what I've seen (and my own opinions), Spike doesn't get much love in the fandom, with most people preferring to focus on the Mane Six. It's actually lampshaded during the Mirror Arc of the comics; at one point, Luna is addressing the group as "you six", and Spike has to continually butt in with "Seven!"

Twilight keeps mentioning Spike's usefullness, as compared to Hum Drum, but I think it can be read as targetting the audience as well, the people who, like the Mane-iac, dismiss Spike as being useless. In "our world", Twilight's world, the world of the show and the writing staff... Spike isn't useless, or superfluous, or pointless. He's valued and important.

Of course, the show could give reasons for those by giving him some good episodes, but Power Ponies was a great step up for him. Again, one of my favourites of this season.

(Also, the Mane-iac is awesome, and probably one of my favourite villains from the show)

Edited by Quiver

Quiver, you need to get some more Weird Al exposure for sure. ;)  Wander around youtube sometime and watch all the videos out there...and then you'll find yourself downloading whole albums.  Some of my favorite songs, the ones that make me start snorting with laughter Every.Single.Time I hear them, are: eBay, A Complicated Song, and Foil.  That is only the tip of the hilarious iceberg, though.  I really had to struggle to limit that to three songs, because even listening to his polka tracks, which range from covering pop songs to classic rock to alternative, make me laugh.

Anyhow, so sad that Spike gets so little love.  We found a stuffed Spike and now he hangs out with Yoda on our sofa...sometimes I'll hold him or Yoda like when you lounge with a pillow.  So, at least he's getting some love somewhere.  AND he gets to hang with Yoda, because you know that if he and Yoda existed in the same universe, Spike would be a total fanboy.

I enjoy your episode commentaries.  I tend to focus on the lesson built into the episode, but you often take it to the next level.  Thanks for sharing!

Happy Pink Alicorn day, everyone! As we all know, this is that special day when Pink Alicorn get's some appreciation by shooting people; fortunately this causes them to fall in love, rather than causing massive puncture wounds and/or death. 

So, if you are celebrating with someone special today, be sure to thank Celestia that you aren't in the hospital. Pink Alicorn has a propensity for headshots.

More seriously... happy Valentines day everyone. If you are celebrating it with a partner, then I hope it goes well and you enjoy it. If (like me), you aren't celebrating with anyone, then be sure to take a moment to tell the people in your life that you care; after all, there's no reason that romantic love is the only kind that should be celebrated on a day like this.

And, to keep this vaugely pony-related, and because it's awesome... here is a song related to the occasion. Which pulls double duty by being all about what I just said, about Valentines Day being about more than just romantic love, and being more about Love as a concept.

Happy Valentines Day everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm necroing this thread, Quiver. You owe the Kobold Capo a favor. B)

To the rest of you: have you got the horrible songs from Equestria Girls stuck in your head? If so, then you are in desperate need of this hilarious literal version of "Helping Twilight Win the Crown." You are especially in need of Sunset Shimmer's part at the end. :lol:

You know, I have purposefully avoided Equestria Girls.  If we had small children in our house or over frequently, particularly if they were girls, I probably couldn't have escaped for so long.  All the friends we have with kids have boys!  Only one of them has watched MLP:FiM with us, and he laughed his head off at Pinkie Pie (he is four).  The other boys, well, one is way too into Star Wars and Marvel and considers all the pink in MLP an affrontery. ;)  And his younger brother totally follows his lead.

Kobold, I can't get to youtube at work, so maybe....maybe?....I'll come back to that link later.  :unsure:

Now, to be fair to Equestria Girls...

...Yeah, I got nothing. Equestria Girls is awful, and the songs are terrible. The only good thing to come out of that mess was Sunset Shimmer, and even then, the movie itself didn't do that great a job of portraying her. I've mentioned before, in concept she's Pony Darth Vader, in execution... not so much. At least the comics and fan fiction do a better job fleshing her out.

Though- to be strictly fair- Rainbow Rocks has a significantly better soundtrack.

Anyway... funny video Kobold. Which unfortunately means I now owe the Capo two favors. That cant end well for me.

EDIT To expand on the "Rainbow Rocks is better soundtrack" thing..

All the songs in EqG are chipper, bright and happy; there isn't reall any difference between  any of them, and they arne't particularly memorable. In fact, "Helping Twilight win the crown" is the only one that is at all memorable... and that's kind of sad, since the song itself is rather bland.

Rainbow Rocks has a pretty interesting variety of songs; it has a mix of solo's (for Trixi and Rainbow Dash) and group music, as well as having an actual "battle" between the Dazzlings and the Rainbooms. There's more variety in the beat and genre they use; each character basically has their own unique motif, beat and rhythm to their songs. It's not perfect, but it's a significant improvement from the samey music that clogs up the original EqG film.

Edited by Quiver

It's because they're so darn cute...even if the Epic ponies have that whole insane evil vibe going. ;)

Watched some of season three this weekend (Sleepless in Ponyville, Wonderbolts Academy, Apple Family Reunion, Spike at your Service, Just for Sidekicks).  I love that show.  You can be in such a blah mood and one episode turns that all to smiles. :)

Peons! The talented and creative Quiver has produced amazing fan fiction!

More seriously... yeah, leaving it here because it's pony-related, ad I figured if anyone was interested in it, they'd probably check this thread eventually lol. It also -hopefully- covers the debt I owe to Kobold for him bringing this thread back from the dead before.

So... um... yes. Hope you guys don't object to my self-promotion. If your interested in reading things, let me know and I'll PM you a link or something.

Edited by Quiver

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing episodes of MLP where Apple Bloom learns potioneering from Zecora, I have a new headcanon.

Apple Bloom becomes Zecora's full-time apprentice, ultimately earning an enchantment cutie mark.

When Zecora grows old and passes away, Apple Bloom takes her place as the hermit of the Everfree, working magic and aiding the ponies and other beings of Equestria wherever she can.

Having access to an online pony creator and way too much spare time, I created this monument to my headcanon.

af322aa55f7296e5762e3a0720291277.png

Yes, she has a pet cockatrice. Because in my headcanon, Apple Bloom becomes the most badchull sorceress since Starswirl the Bearded walked the earth.. Scratch that--she becomes more badchull than Starswirl the Bearded could ever hope to have been.

Best merch find at Universal Studios?  The ONE small island of merchandise that was ALL MLP.  I finally was able to get not only a ladies t-shirt for myself featuring the Mane 6 and the text "Smile Everypony" but also a Brony t-shirt for the hubs. :D

After seeing episodes of MLP where Apple Bloom learns potioneering from Zecora, I have a new headcanon.

Apple Bloom becomes Zecora's full-time apprentice, ultimately earning an enchantment cutie mark.

When Zecora grows old and passes away, Apple Bloom takes her place as the hermit of the Everfree, working magic and aiding the ponies and other beings of Equestria wherever she can.

Having access to an online pony creator and way too much spare time, I created this monument to my headcanon.

af322aa55f7296e5762e3a0720291277.png

Yes, she has a pet cockatrice. Because in my headcanon, Apple Bloom becomes the most badchull sorceress since Starswirl the Bearded walked the earth.. Scratch that--she becomes more badchull than Starswirl the Bearded could ever hope to have been.

In my Headcannon, Zecorra made herself immortal a century or two ago, and moved to the Everfree Forest because her clan drove her out as a demon. She hasn't told the residents of Ponyville because of how they reacted when she first set up shop, she's afraid they would try to drive her out again.

And there are a couple of Sorceress and Pegasi who are more Chullstomping than Starswirl was.

What season are you in?

In my Headcannon, Zecorra made herself immortal a century or two ago, and moved to the Everfree Forest because her clan drove her out as a demon. She hasn't told the residents of Ponyville because of how they reacted when she first set up shop, she's afraid they would try to drive her out again.

And there are a couple of Sorceress and Pegasi who are more Chullstomping than Starswirl was.

What season are you in?

Ooh, I like that headcanon. I've thought for a while now that Zecora must have been driven out of her homeland for something--maybe it was her sorcery. And maybe her rhyming is an archaic style of speech, like Luna's ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE.

I'm in a complicated position season-wise. I've seen most of the first two seasons, but I haven't watched any episodes in order. I've seen handfuls of episodes ranging from the first season to the fourth, so there are still quite a few episodes in every season I haven't seen yet.

It starts at 6AM. So this is me.

... Or at least it would be if that was airing in the UK as well. Still- season five! And also, the movie!

I'm pretty sure I saw the film when I was younger- which baffles me, since MLP was not a thing I was into as a kid. Still, guess thats just how pervasive popular culture can be- Nothing can stop the Smooze pony.