Random Twinborn Combos: Go!

Koloss17

17 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

They could possibly become so Invested (even if temporarily) that they could gain a greater comprehension of the Metallic arts and the world around them, sort of like a little-mini ascension

Was it the Investiture itself that gave The Lord Ruler his knowledge of the Metallic Arts, or was it his Connection to Preservation? I don't think Raw Investiture can give knowledge on its own. 

31 minutes ago, Walter The Moral said:

Was it the Investiture itself that gave The Lord Ruler his knowledge of the Metallic Arts, or was it his Connection to Preservation? I don't think Raw Investiture can give knowledge on its own. 

It was Ascension to Preservation (partial at least), I don't think you could achieve that with simple nicrosil compounding.

47 minutes ago, Walter The Moral said:

Probably more Connection than Investiture, but since more Investiture will lead to more Connection maybe you could still achieve the desired knowledge?

Hope no one minds if I take a crack at it with a combo I think has potential. I don't think anyone has done this one yet.

Day 54: A-Pewter/F-Bendalloy

(Allomancy- increased strength/Feruchemy- store calories)

The main reason that this combo caught my eye is because F-bendalloy really only has niche uses. While going without food for long periods of time can be useful, it's only really necessary in extreme survival situations where you don't have access to food. It's been a goal of mine to try and find other potential uses for this ability, and I think one potential use could be recovering from pewter drags.

It doesn't really need to be explained that pewter is a good metal; it allows you to do a lot of amazing things, and pewter dragging is just doing this for long periods of time. Afterward, the user experiences intense fatigue that can be potentially fatal; however, I think that by tapping a sufficient amount of bendalloy they could negate most of the negative consequences of pewter dragging by replenishing their energy reserves so they don't have to rely on pewter. 

The only potential problem is that in addition to food after a pewter drag, you also need sleep, which this combo doesn't cover (although I wonder if a A-Pewter/F-Copper twinborn would be able to do something similar). This means they probably still need to sleep at some point, but at the very least, this combo prevents pewter dragging from being lethal.

Resonance: I still don't think we know enough about resonances to guess these, but maybe the pewter drag recovery is the resonance? If not, I've got no clue. 

Name: Marathoner is suggested in the Mistborn adventure game, which is pretty good, but I think Tireless sounds just a bit cooler. 

Rating: Essentially just a thug who can pewter drag without worrying about dying. It's still good, but mostly because it's a pewter combo, so 7/10.

7 hours ago, Atlas333 said:

The only potential problem is that in addition to food after a pewter drag, you also need sleep, which this combo doesn't cover (although I wonder if a A-Pewter/F-Copper twinborn would be able to do something similar)

Do you mean F-Bronze? F-Copper allows you to store memories, while F-Bronze allows you to store wakefullness.

Bringing up Pewter Dragging, I'm just imagining an A-Pewter/F-Steel Twinborn doing it. With enough speed, you could probably Pewter Drag what would take a normal Thug hours in minutes.

On 4/30/2023 at 1:31 PM, Koloss17 said:

Y’know, I’m starting to think the F-Electrum isn’t the most useful of metals. Dare I say-the worst Feruchemantic metal? Maybe there’s something big about it that I’m missing. Maybe I am seriously undervaluing the power of determination (I’m sorry Frisk, but it ain’t what you make it to be). But to me, it seems to be quite the niche ability. Let me know what you think!

I think you could store up a bunch of electrum and then tap all that determination all at once and then you could like use it to enter a battle rage lots of the general and sort of state or like you're being fuel on like basically only adrenaline and it would be sort of like a koloss blood lust and you'd be able to like take a little more damage than normal and just plow through everybody until you physically couldn't keep fighting cuz your body is too chopped up and then you die so it would be useful for a little bit but then you die afterwards but you could be a total psychopath and kill everybody mode for a little and they wouldn't be able to stop you however if you can find it with pewter or electrum you might be able to do more with it, pewter could increase your endurance and make your body tougher so you might still survive afterwards and electrum you might be able to train your body to automatically react to the to the electrum Shadows so that you just would instinctively do it and then you'd be a really hard to hit because you would just instinctively Dodge although it might not work like that because the determination might tunnel vision you and then you'd be like one thing and that's like all you could do but maybe if you trained your mind hard enough you could succeed or if you burned atium instead of electrum then it would have a little magical compulsion to dodge plus you could train yourself to dodge anyways however it'd be more useful to use electrum because then you could compound and get more determination more easily without having to feel depressed still a little niche but better

Edited by .....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure other people have their own methods for keeping track of what combos have been done already, but I just couldn't keep it all straight, so I went ahead and made this handy table.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Xbhypr0ihq1A3rLzmvr0wcHL-TKnm81m6LIyK9lMqQ/edit#gid=0

It's color-coded to show which ones have been done already. I'll admit I took a few creative liberties with the names as I felt some fit better than others. 

Hopefully, this makes it easier for others to contribute to this thread without worrying about repeating previous combinations. I'll try and update it as new combos are posted. 

Edited by Atlas333

And by the way, at this point, the thread is open to all to contribute a combo if they want. I’d advise against repeating combos, and I’d encourage you to make the combo random, but in the end, it is all your call. The point of this thread is to make people think about Twinborn combos that don’t get enough attention, and so if that’s what you end up doing, go right on ahead!

A-Zinc and F-Duralumin, this metalborn can become your best friend in the blink of an eye, storing enough connection to make it seem like they've known each other for ages and messing with emotions so as not to find it suspicious

I rolled a D20 twice to get this combo, using the MAG table when it exceeded 16 I rolled again

A- Nicrosil/F-Duralumin

(Allomancy- boost other's metals/Feruchemy- store and tap connections)

These two powers actually go decently well together. Both of these abilities are heavily reliant on others. Nicrosil makes you an asset to any team of allomancers and duralumin can help you strengthen your connection to those allomancers. While this probably doesn't have any crazy applications, it would useful when it came to settling disagreements between different members. This character could also be an effective "face" for this team handling the negotiating and other social obstacles they might encounter. 

I do want to briefly mention I have wondered if you could tap enough connection to bypass the physical contact requirement from nicrosil to use it from a distance. I think it should work; assuming that touching the allomancer is establishing a physical connection, who's to say a spiritual connection wouldn't work? However, we don't have any idea how much connection you would need to tap. For all we know, it might take a compounder to make this work. For that reason, that potential interaction isn't taken into account for my rating. 

Resonance: Still not confident enough to say, but if I had to guess, maybe their nicrosil would be more effective on people they have stronger connections to?

Rating: 7 Not bad, in my opinion. Even if the powers don't interact in any spectacular ways, these twinborn have quite a few ways to assist a team of allomancers. 

Name: Team player is safe, but I prefer Mediator (for settling disputes in the team) or, more likely, Coordinator because I could see this kind of twinborn being a leader but not the kind to be on the front lines. 

Edited by Atlas333

A-duralminum / F-gold

(Allomancy- super burst all investiture/Feruchemy- store health for later healing)

so this one is really interesting so duraluminum super bursts you and works on feruchemy also and we have Gold which lets you store up help and use it later to heal now the problem with gold among other things is that to heal anything you have to tap gold at a high enough weight rate that you're wasting a lot of gold to compress it that much so that you can actually heal because of diminishing returns now with duraluminum You can get rid of diminishing returns because it provides the power of compressing all that attribute which means you use a lot less healing to heal from a wound now you won't want to make a big metal mind like Wayne has for instance Because then you lose efficiency because then you're using up an entire big metal mind all at once and then that's even more wasteful so what I would do is create lots and lots of smaller metal Minds it might take some experimentation to figure out how much health when tapped out of one to one ratio really quickly it gives you how much healing but you could figure it out and then make a properly sized metal mind that's probably going to be pretty small and then store it and it until it's full and then store in the next one continue right and then you just and then when you need to heal you tap it at a really low rate burn a tiny bit of aluminum and then instantly you're healed because you're never going to really want to keep a wound for a while you're going to want to tap really fast there's no disadvantages you could do this with other metals but some other metals you want to Tap slower for gold though it's a good strategy Gold will still be hard but now you'll be able to use it a lot more efficiently to get the same result

Resonance: No idea this is the hard part nobody ever really knows what to do here so I'll just put nothing 

Rating: So I would give this one a 7ish because  blood makers are already pretty good and this just makes them more efficient and a little better and I'd probably end up putting a blood maker at like 5 and 1/2 fish so I think seven is reasonable

Name: None any ideas please? 

Edited by .....

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Saint Bed said:

A-Tin/F-Gold

Both abilities are useful on their own, but they don't seem to have much interaction with each other. If the user was a Tin savant maybe it would help offset some of the downsides of their heightened sensitivity? What could the resonance be though?

Welcome to the Shard!

If you were to become a F-gold Savant it would do the trick, as you'd be immune to pain. Unfortunately, I don't think that regular F-gold would do this, as it doesn't really block pain, it just lets you heal.

F-tin would not only let you Compound though, it would also let you store the pain of oversensitivity, thus allowing you to become a Savant as well without most of the obvious negative side effects.

4 hours ago, Saint Bed said:

A-Tin/F-Gold

Both abilities are useful on their own, but they don't seem to have much interaction with each other. If the user was a Tin savant maybe it would help offset some of the downsides of their heightened sensitivity? What could the resonance be though?

resonance's are weird ignore them for now. As for  as for the actual combo I think it'd be pretty good considering tints of autism gives you a, really really poor guys, atium effect which combined with gold Would let you take more damage you could also be a good scout because you use your tin abilities to you know be a better Scout and stuff and then when you find something dangerous you'll probably be fine cuz of your gold and then you just have to run at that point You'd be a good sentry too because of the tin for watching and if they attack the centuries so that they can't warn everyone else you'll heal and still warn everybody else 

Edited by .....

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 1:10 PM, alder24 said:

What's happening here is really hard to say, the F-iron breaks physics and it doesn't make sense. F-iron stores your mass, but your weight and gravitational acceleration doesn't change. Your strength remains the same (but your strength to mass ratio changes, that's why tapping more iron makes you slower, as you lack strength to move), and so does the force of gravity pulling you down (weight) - that means that you should jump at the same height. But things like inertia, terminal velocity, momentum etc are affected by changing your mass.

I answer with the book - in WoA ch 19 Sazed filled only his ironmind and climbed a tree with ease. And that countered the force of gravity pulling him down - with less mass you have an easier time pulling yourself up and that's what you're proposing should be possible. You should be able to store mass and jump really high, then tap and drop hard on your enemy. But because you're tapping midair, conservation of momentum dictates that increasing your mass will slow you down very much - p=mv (it would be easy to dodge).

This doesn't make sense because if F-iron doesn't store weight but just mass, weight is a force of gravity pulling you down, so what would make sense is that no matter if you're storing or tapping iron, you should have the same trouble with going up. As Sazed proved, that's not the case.

Reveal hidden contents

XMikethetrikeX

A question regaurding Feruchemical iron:

So, while Sazed was guarding one of the gates to Luthadel, he tapped weight to compensate, he had to tap pewter as well. Also, when he was climbing a tree, his strength to weght ratio rised, making it easier for him to climb it. Wax doesn't have to do this- when fighting Miles on the train, he's fine without any sort of muscular enhancement, and when he is climbing in the sets base, he notes that he does not make himself lighter because it would simply decrease his weight and strength equally (in contrast to Sazed climbing the tree).

So, is this difference for the same reason people can push/ pull on atium, being the you hadn't fully developed your idea for the cosmere yet? Or is it some other reason?

Brandon Sanderson

Hmm. I think the mistake is more on me writing the Wax scene than in the original. (For him climbing, specifically.) I'll put Peter on this and see if it's a continuity error we want to fix.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Nov. 3, 2018)

Reveal hidden contents

Phantine

I actually asked Peter Ahlstrom (who tends to handle math and magic system interactions with physics for Team Sanderson) about this a little while ago

A couple of friends and I are discussing if the iron feruchemy causing changes in speed is a retcon (since there's a mention in AoL that "increasing his weight manyfold would not affect his motion"), or if the effect is just more complicated (like only causing an instant change in speed if Wax changes weight while actively pushing on something).

Are you willing to weigh in on that, or is it just something we shouldn't be thinking too hard about?

And his response was

I just don't know the answer to this question. :)

So I personally think the explanation is either 'Brandon thought it would be cooler for shifting your weight to change your velocity, and forgot he had mentioned it a couple times' or 'this is Wax's twinborn perk'. I'm leaning towards the latter, since the person who writes the magic system summaries at the end of the book specifically interrogated Wax about the effects, and mentioned she specifically was interested in his very unusual power combination.

As for the density thing, there is an explicit mention that you appear to get stronger when tapping, but only to the extent that you can still stand up and walk around - you still have more difficulty moving around overall. So (to pull out random numbers), if you're at 200% normal mass, you have 180% normal strength, and at 50% mass you have 60% normal strength. That means Wax habitually going around at 75% weight so he's 'light on his feet' makes sense - even if he's weaker overall, he's proportionally stronger.

The way I personally think about things for bullets or whatever, anything 'inside' the body (where 'inside' is defined in the same way that pushing/pulling metal 'inside' the body uses it) interacts with your body as if it were normal. So tapping iron doesn't cause your ultra-massive blood to be impossible for your heart to pump, but it also doesn't prevent a bullet from passing through your flesh. That seems to be consistent with how it's portrayed in the books.

Brandon Sanderson

Just a note: in the quote of mine above, I was trying (I believe) to find a way for Wax to indicate that weight doesn't influence the rate at which he falls. IE, acceleration in regards to gravity. It's tough, and I made the call (perhaps incorrectly) not to use modern physics terminology in the W&W books. It has been very hard then to explain:

1). Wax changing his weight doesn't change the pull of gravity on him, or the rate at which he falls. 2) He DOES follow the laws of conservation of momentum.

My talking around these things has let me to tie a few paragraphs in knots.

General Reddit 2016 (Feb. 19, 2016)

Reveal hidden contents

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Six

The fight in the ballroom

From the early days of the Mistborn books, I'd been planning how an Allomantic gunfight would go down. I felt it the next evolution in what has been stylistically a big part of these books.

There is a fine line to walk in a lot of these sequences. I've made something of a name for myself in the fantasy world by attempting to mix some scientific reasoning with my magic systems. At the same time, Allomancy was designed precisely with action sequences in mind. I wanted them to be powerful and cinematic—and a cinematic fight sequence is often at odds with realism. (Watch two people who really know what they're doing fight with swords sometime, then watch any fight sequence in a film. Most of the time, the film sequences stray far from what would really happen.)

So, as I said, I walk a line. Sometimes, there are things I just can't do because they violate what I've set up as the rules of the world. Other times, I design the setting and nature of the fight specifically to allow for certain types of cinematic sequences. One thing I like a lot about Wax’s abilities is the power he has to manipulate his weight. There's some realism to what he does—for example, increasing his weight doesn't make him fall more quickly, but it allows him to do some powerful things while falling. Destroying the chandeliers is an example.

At the same time, I acknowledge that the weight manipulation aspect of Feruchemy is one of its more baffling powers, scientifically. Is he changing his mass? If so, he should become more dense, which I don't actually make the case when it plays out in fights. (Otherwise, increasing his weight enough would make him impervious to bullets.) So, if it's not mass manipulation, is it gravity manipulation, like Szeth and Kaladin do? Well, again, not really—as when his weight increases, his strength and ability to uphold that weight increase as well. Beyond that, Wax can't make himself so light that he has no weight at all.

So . . . well, at this point, the ability to explain it scientifically breaks down. I do like what it does, but I have to set its boundaries and stick to them—and accept that some of what's going on is irrational. (And don't get me started on what should really be happening scientifically when Wayne speeds up time.)

Footnote: Brandon has stated that iron Feruchemy works by manipulating the Higgs field.
The Alloy of Law Annotations (March 14, 2014)

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Does Iron store mass or weight?

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. The thing is it really does involve mass, but I’m breaking some physics rules, basically. I have to break a number of physics rules in order to make Magic work in the first place. Those whole laws of Thermodynamics, I’m like “You are my bane!” (laughter) But I try to work within the framework, and I have reasonings built up for myself, and some of them have to be kind of arbitrary. But the thing is, it does store mass if you look at how it interacts, but when a Feruchemist punches someone, you’re not having a mass transference of a 1000 pounds transferring the mass into someone else.

So there are a few little tweaks. You can go talk to Peter, because Peter has the actual math. Oh Peter’s back there. Peter is dressed up as Allomancer Jak from the broadsheet. In fact we’re giving some out broadsheets, aren’t we Peter. So when you come through the line, we’re giving out Broadsheets. Please don’t take fifty—I think we might have enough for everybody. The broadsheets are the newspaper from the Alloy of Law time. It’s an inworld newspaper. It’s actually reproduced in the book in four different pages, and we put it together in one big broadsheet.

So anyway, you can talk with him, he’s got more of the math of it. I explained the concept to Peter and he’s better with the actual math, so he said “We’ll figure it out.”

Alloy of Law release party (Nov. 7, 2011)

F-iron stores mass, not weight, but it does change how Skimmer interacts with weight (force) in the same way as he would be storing weight (force) in most cases. But it doesn't change the rate of gravitational acceleration. It also follows conservation of momentum. Make of it whatever you want.

What I want to say here is a little physicsy so be warned. From my understanding your mass changes, any force equation with mass in it will be effected proportionatly. This does effect your weight, but not just your weight. If it didnt effect your weight the effects of gravity would be really really weird. The equation for the force of gravity on a personal scale is F=mg, that force is your weight. to get acceleartion you divide Force by mass, thus you get A=g, meaning its independent of mass. Your weight does change as when your mass increases so does your weight, but the acceleration never changes just because thats how physics works which is pretty consistent with the books. People always fall at relativly the same speed (ignoring air resesitance), they just hit the ground with different amounts of energy as energy is = 1/2*m*v^2 so while you fall at the same speed, the energy you hit the ground with is much different. All of this does in fact mean it will be easier to climb things (as long as your strength remains relativly constant) as the force of gravity does decrease when you make yourself lighter, meaning you have to apply less force from your muscles to climb. This however does bring up the fact that the book states that your strength adapts a little bit to be able to handle the new weight of your body, it seems like this increase in strength however is a sort of diminishing return type of thing so as you increase or decrease your mass you strength lags behind. Also for the movement mid-air, yes when tapping weight you will slow down significantly, but only the motion that you already had would be affected in such a way, because the acceleration of gravity is the same at any mass all you would need to do is jump and start tapping weight only once you reach the peak height if you wanted max height, though if you wanted something that is harder to dodge you could just jump a little bit and increase your mass a ton because even falling half a meter while weighing 1000kg would still be equivilent to a 100kg person dropping 5 meters, which is more then enough to hurt. Now for the part about punching harder, this is a little more nuanced, and I will do two perspectives, one in which strength does not adjust at all for you weight (which I beleive to be unture) and one where it adjusts with diminshing returns. In the first situation a straight on punch would not be any more effective, and in fact would be less effective as it would be easier to dodge and still have the same force, but you could adjust to have your fighting style include overhanded blows in which you make yourself light to raise you arms, and then very heavy as you swing down, causing the force of gravity to do its thing and making the strike much stronger by using gravity as your mechanism of damage. This would however be fairly innefeciant as it would require a lot of weight to make the force of gravity be large enough to cause damage, and would be relativly easy to dodge if not done tactfully. In the second scenario your strength increases to compensate for your added mass (and weight), though not proportionatly, wich accounts for the slowing and speeding up of wax in the books when he taps and stores large amounts of weight (and also is more reasonable as if his strength stayed the same the effects on his every day life would be far more noticable), in this case you can still use that striking from above tactic, but your normall punches will also hit harder albeit slower as the total force being applied to your punch is greater, but the mass increases more then the force resulting in a slower but still more powerful strike. 

On 5/6/2023 at 7:23 AM, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Random Twinborn Combo Day 16:

You know what? It’s day 16! There has to be something special for it!

First ever triple perhaps? Yeah, let’s do that!

Random Twinborn Combo Day 16.1

A-Steel and F-Zinc

(pushing metal and storing mental [speed])

At this point, we know what these two can do. One lets ya kill things and fly, the other lets ya think fast. 

Put em together, and you get someone that could do some really nice tricks, with ricochet and perfect pushing. It would be quite the deadly combo, honestly.

Resonance: Cognition and external pushing, eh? I would say an intrinsic understanding of arc trajectories, but that’s less a resonance than something that comes with the trade. Perhaps being surprisingly charismatic? Combining the external pushing nature of Steel with the cognitive aspect of Zinc?

Name: Trickshot, for sure.

Rating: 7/10. Pretty fun gimmick, but they kinda have the one thing.

Random Twinborn Combo Day 16.2:

A-Copper and F-Tin

So you all know how much I love F-Tin, or at least I hope you know (I really need to revive that F-Tin Cult). F-Tin can allow a Twinborn to gain extra senses from their Allomancy using 8 of the 17 possible Twinborn combinations. Sadly, copper is not one of them.

Allomantic copper is nice and all, don’t get me wrong. The Allomantic protection is quite nice, and being able to be invisible to a Seeker certainly has its perks.

F-Tin, I could go on and on about. Storing pain, sense of temperature, balance, and of course the five senses can be useful for any manner of situations. There’s theoretically a whole bunch more, but it depends how much you’re willing to stretch what counts as a sense. I made a whole other thread for it, and there was varying opinions on it. 

Now, theoretically, F-Tin would have the most distinct outputs for a Seeker to sense, as a truly talented Seeker could determine the exact sense that is being stored or tapped. It would be quite the advantage against a Windwhirsperer Ferring, but it’s likely a tad too niche to worry about.

Resonance: Cloaking and Senses, eh? Well, if resonances could be bad, having a general numbness to senses would be fitting, but I’m not sure resonances can be negative. This is a pretty good one to pitch out to y’all, because there’s certainly something there, I just can’t find it.

Name: Another one to pitch out? I don’t love not having names for things, but there’s been some fantastic name suggestions recently.

Rating: 6/10 overall, but to an F-Tin snob like me, it’s a 4/10. 

Random Twinborn Combo Day 16.3:

A-Bendalloy and F-Atium

Hey, this is the first time we’ve seen Atium! 

F-Atium stores age, which is kind of weird, and I have mixed thoughts on it. It could Reuther be physically aging the current state of the body forwards or backwards, which has a lot of weird ramifications, like what happens to your muscles? And what counts as “aging”? Another option is that it shifts the body forward or backward in time, which would lead to some really weird stuff, such as potential manifestations of tattoos and such through use. I’m personally preferential to the latter interpretation, but if you want to go on a tangent about that, I have yet another thread about that.

Allomantic Bendalloy is funky, and could interact interestingly with aging. Since you are creating a personal speed bubble, where you are moving through time much faster than the rest of the world, how would that affect F-Atium? I honestly don’t really know. I don’t think it would reverse compound, but someone smarter than I can determine that.

Overall, really cool stuff.

Resonance: Perhaps an intrinsic understanding of the aging of your own body, like an uncanny knowledge of it. “My body is exactly 30 years, 50 days, and 12 hours old” for example. 

Name: Well, I would certainly like Time Wizard as a name, but it doesn’t really fit as an in-world name. Maybe Time Sifter?

Rating: 8/10, purely due to how interesting it is. I would say that it would be closer to a 6/10 in practicality though.

Ok for A-steel and F-zinc resonance I actually think that resonace is compeltly fair. Zinc increases mental speed but it doesnt give you new mental abilities. Unless you are using it to do physics equations on the fly (which would require knowing exact mesurments), the best it would do is help you guess more accuratly. Having a perfect intuitive understanding of tradjectories of objects (maybe even to a lesser extent even while not using zinc) is a good attribute as not only does it allow you perfects shoot coins and fly, but also dodge things very well. 

6 minutes ago, DoomslugTD said:

What I want to say here is a little physicsy so be warned. From my understanding your mass changes, any force equation with mass in it will be effected proportionatly. This does effect your weight, but not just your weight.

That was almost 9 months ago. I don't even remember that. But you should have scrolled 2 posts down, where I corrected myself:

On 5/4/2023 at 10:32 PM, alder24 said:

Edit: @Underwater_Worldhopper Don't listen to me, I'm stupid, it's late, my brain doesn't function anymore. Weight is mass times gravitational acceleration, F=mg, by changing mass you indirectly change weight without changing gravitational acceleration, thus you can climb trees easier, jump higher or push on coins further away. F-iron is still inconsistent, but that fixes a few problem.

10 minutes ago, DoomslugTD said:

This however does bring up the fact that the book states that your strength adapts a little bit to be able to handle the new weight of your body, it seems like this increase in strength however is a sort of diminishing return type of thing so as you increase or decrease your mass you strength lags behind.

It's not your physical strength (not the one from F-pewter) that's changed, it's your body's ability to uphold added weight that changes. It's not like your muscles get stronger, you can punch harder with this added strength or something like that. It's the magic of Feruchemy that siphons a little bit of investiture from weight and supports your body so you can stand up. It still makes you slower (iirc), but you can become very heavy and not collapse under your own weight. Just a little clarification. 

Spoiler

Calderis

I recently got the opportunity to ask you a question about Feruchemical steel and if it was a temporal effect and you told me to define that better. When tapping steel, the mind of the Feruchemist is sped up and physics affects their actions normally. When storing, their mind is not slowed and the effect seems tortuously difficult to amass. Storing generally seems to be the more dangerous/difficult option in Feruchemy, so does [Feruchemical steel] alter a person's personal relationship to the flow of time, with the disconnect between the Physical and Cognitive as a drawback of storing?

Brandon Sanderson

I see what you're asking. The mind-altering effects of [Feruchemical steel] are similar to the slight strength you gain from [Feruchemical iron]--it is your Spiritual nature adapting to the new influx of an attribute that it's not really expecting, and siphoning some of that investiture to make you capable of actually using it. So there is a slight temporal effect here, but nothing as big as I think you're looking for.

Footnote: This question is a follow-up to this question.
Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 31, 2018)

21 hours ago, alder24 said:

That was almost 9 months ago. I don't even remember that. But you should have scrolled 2 posts down, where I corrected myself:

It's not your physical strength (not the one from F-pewter) that's changed, it's your body's ability to uphold added weight that changes. It's not like your muscles get stronger, you can punch harder with this added strength or something like that. It's the magic of Feruchemy that siphons a little bit of investiture from weight and supports your body so you can stand up. It still makes you slower (iirc), but you can become very heavy and not collapse under your own weight. Just a little clarification. 

Reveal hidden contents

Calderis

I recently got the opportunity to ask you a question about Feruchemical steel and if it was a temporal effect and you told me to define that better. When tapping steel, the mind of the Feruchemist is sped up and physics affects their actions normally. When storing, their mind is not slowed and the effect seems tortuously difficult to amass. Storing generally seems to be the more dangerous/difficult option in Feruchemy, so does [Feruchemical steel] alter a person's personal relationship to the flow of time, with the disconnect between the Physical and Cognitive as a drawback of storing?

Brandon Sanderson

I see what you're asking. The mind-altering effects of [Feruchemical steel] are similar to the slight strength you gain from [Feruchemical iron]--it is your Spiritual nature adapting to the new influx of an attribute that it's not really expecting, and siphoning some of that investiture to make you capable of actually using it. So there is a slight temporal effect here, but nothing as big as I think you're looking for.

Footnote: This question is a follow-up to this question.
Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 31, 2018)

Sorry I dont know how I missed that, that makes more sense now. I also read earlier on in the thread that we could keep posting about earlier topics, but if thats changed or im not quite understanding I would love to know, I dont want to bring up dead conversations.

12 minutes ago, DoomslugTD said:

Sorry I dont know how I missed that, that makes more sense now. I also read earlier on in the thread that we could keep posting about earlier topics, but if thats changed or im not quite understanding I would love to know, I dont want to bring up dead conversations.

Imo, you’re good. However, folks appreciate not reanimating dead threads, but I don’t know how that stands with this thread. 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Imo, you’re good. However, folks appreciate not reanimating dead threads, but I don’t know how that stands with this thread. 

Thanks! If anyone asks me to stop I will but untill then I will enjoy looking at this thread. I think its so cool that we have a community that nerds out about these things like this. 

6 hours ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

However, folks appreciate not reanimating dead threads, but I don’t know how that stands with this thread. 

I mean, we technically haven't finished listing all possible Twinborn combos yet (as far as I know), so I wouldn't count it as dead yet.

I didn't want to say it's a necro-posting, I just wanted to point out that this particular branch of discussion is really old, thus I don't remember it well, and it was mostly resolved when I've corrected myself 2 posts later. This is an open topic, it's not dead, responding to it is fine, especially if you want to talk about twinborn combos.

Personally I would avoid correcting someone's post from almost a year ago, unless it paints a vastly wrong image about one of the combos, or new information came out recently, changing the way some combos might work. But that's my approach, which others don't have to share.

5 hours ago, alder24 said:

I didn't want to say it's a necro-posting, I just wanted to point out that this particular branch of discussion is really old, thus I don't remember it well, and it was mostly resolved when I've corrected myself 2 posts later. This is an open topic, it's not dead, responding to it is fine, especially if you want to talk about twinborn combos.

Personally I would avoid correcting someone's post from almost a year ago, unless it paints a vastly wrong image about one of the combos, or new information came out recently, changing the way some combos might work. But that's my approach, which others don't have to share.

Thanks, I will keep it in mind!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! New here.

Figured it would be fun to give this a go, hope no one's done this one yet.

A-Nicrosil/F-Steel

(Enhance others allomancy / Store speed)

So, this one actually seems pretty interesting. Nicrosil as most have pointed out is best used as a support power, since it's quite hard to get close enough for it to be usefull. However, I think this combo actually gives our first offensive use for Nicrosil. Imagine you're an iron misting, gearing up for a fight, and then in the blink of an eye all your metals are gone and every source of nearby metal is flying towards you. You can invoke similar effects for the other physical metals, espically tin, by running in, tapping them, and rushing out. You could probabbly cause chaos among a group of allomancers this way, by running through them dentonating all of their metals and getting our before you get hit by anything.

Of course there's still the issue that instead of doing this you could just... stab the allomancer or something. It has a bit more violent aspect to it than A-chromium does, which lends it a bit more utility but F-steel is so strong that it kind of overshadows the allomancy. You could still do the support thing, and be like a super fast allomacy burst delivery system.

Resonance: These are always hard but maybe like, the accelerated nicrosil burn would increase the strength of the allomancy burst? Not sure about this one

Name: I kinda like detonator, although quickburst would be more in line with the other names.

Rating: Overall seems pretty strong. F-steel is crazy good, and anything that provides synergy with it is strong. I'd say 8/10?

• 2 months later...

I don’t know if anyone has said this one yet but if I were twinborn I would want to have A-electrum and F-zinc because from what I know about the powers (which given isn’t much I am new to the whole cosmere theorizing thing) it would give you some inhuman reactions maybe the ability to dodge bullets that would have hit you.