How Powerful would a fullborn actually be.

MangoBoi101

28 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I'll read the theory, but why can't one tap/fill a metalmind your touching in the cognitive or spiritual? And it would use a perpendicularity.

For spiritual, you cannot 'send' stuff there, it is not a place like that, there is no time or space there.
For cognitive, you would have to somehow have the metalmind trail you there, and remain in contact with your representation?  And I doubt that would work even then.

So basically, you cannot do that, it is not how either cognitive or spiritual realms function.

30 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

A fullborn is best with lots of small metalminds because of durilium unless the investiture/gram increases drastically.

That would be a smart way to do it.

48 minutes ago, therunner said:

For spiritual, you cannot 'send' stuff there, it is not a place like that, there is no time or space there.
For cognitive, you would have to somehow have the metalmind trail you there, and remain in contact with your representation?  And I doubt that would work even then.

So basically, you cannot do that, it is not how either cognitive or spiritual realms function.

That would be a smart way to do it.

There is no space, so you would always be in contact with it. WoB said we've seen people go to the spiritual realm, but I think he RAFOed who. I personally think Aon Tia sends people to the spiritual, then pulls them back in the place specified. And yes, we would have to somehow anchor the metalmind to our cognitive self, but Jasna does that with a boat and filled spheres.

It's definitely speculation.

Thanks.

Just now, IlstrawberrySeed said:

There is no space, so you would always be in contact with it. WoB said we've seen people go to the spiritual realm, but I think he RAFOed who. I personally think Aon Tia sends people to the spiritual, then pulls them back in the place specified.

No just no, that is not how spiritual realm works based on everything we know about it.
While there is no space there, there must be Connection there.

No one ever went there, they just saw into it (Elend at the end of HoA).

And while travel through it might be possible, it does not mean you exist there as you would in reality.

And yes, we would have to somehow anchor the metalmind to our cognitive self, but Jasna does that with a boat and filled spheres.

Jasnah does that while being in cognitive, and has to be there to maintain it. I.e. Fullborn could not do that.

3 minutes ago, therunner said:

No just no, that is not how spiritual realm works based on everything we know about it.
While there is no space there, there must be Connection there.

No one ever went there, they just saw into it (Elend at the end of HoA).

And while travel through it might be possible, it does not mean you exist there as you would in reality.

But Shards exist pretty much entirely there.

That's how they are "everywhere at once".

2 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

But Shards exist pretty much entirely there.

That's how they are "everywhere at once".

Shards are basically big ball of Investiture, quite different from metalmind.
Spiritual realm as a whole is just Investiture and Connection based on what we know.

I don't think you can just stick a physical object into spiritual realm.

Edited by therunner

39 minutes ago, therunner said:

Shards are basically big ball of Investiture, quite different from metalmind.
Spiritual realm as a whole is just Investiture and Connection based on what we know.

I don't think you can just stick a physical object into spiritual realm.

Fair enough. Being a big ball of Investiture has its perks, I suppose.

It would still be pretty interesting if someone could find a way to hold physical items in the spiritual realm, creating a bag of holding type situation.

For Feruchemy though, I wonder if there is another way you could hack the system that doesn't require Metalminds at all, and instead uses a source of Investiture tied directly to the SR, so as to eliminate the physical limitations of Feruchemical storage space.

After all, with Allomancy the only reason you need the metal is to grab the Investiture, but if you could get the Investiture some other way, the metals become redundant, so why not Feruchemy?

The Hero of Ages Annotations - Arcanum (coppermind.net)

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Preservation's Power

All right, so maybe I lied about there only being three magic systems in this book. It comes down to how you term the powers of Preservation and Ruin, who kind of blanket the entire system. There are a lot of things going on here, and—well, the truth is I don't want to mention all of them, for fear of spoiling future books. However, I'll give you a few rules to apply.

First, to these forces, energy and mass are the same thing. So, their power can take physical shape—as Preservation's did in the bead of metal Elend ate. Second, there is a bit of Preservation inside of all the people—and it's this that allows the people to perform Allomancy. It needs to be awakened and stirred to be of use, but when it is, a proper metal can draw forth more of Preservation's power. It's like the metal attunes the bit within the person, allowing it to act as a catalyst to grab more power.

Allomancy is not fueled by metal; it is fueled by Preservation. The metal is the means by which a person can access that fuel, however. If there were another way to access it, then the metal wouldn't be needed.

Preservation's touch on people differs. Some have more, some have less. This doesn't make them better or worse people—indeed, some most touched by Preservation have been among the worst people in the world. As Ruin later points out, there is a difference between being evil and being destructive.

Regardless, if a person can get more Preservation into them, they become better Allomancers. Hence Elend becoming a Mistborn. Like all people, he had the potential within him—it was just too small of a potential to be awakened through normal means. That little jolt of Preservation's body, however, expanded and awakened his Allomancy.

As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn't the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else.

/r/books AMA 2015 (May 25, 2015)

mooglefrooglian

If metals shape the Investiture in Allomancy, causing a Steelpush or whatever, how is it that the mists can be used to perform the same feat? What is 'shaping' the inhaled mists into a Steelpush, if there's no metal "nozzle" to do so?

Brandon Sanderson

Consistently through the cosmere, once you have the power in hand and it has permeated you, will becomes your nozzle. This can be seen in Warbreaker, where the power has been distributed and inhabits the people. The nozzle idea is important for Magics that are drawing power externally, as it keeps the power from overwhelming and destroying you. (Which, basically, happened to Vin at the end of the Trilogy--she got consumed by the magic. She became something new, now, so it didn't KILL her. It destroyed what she was, transformed her into something else.)

So you see magics like on Sel and Scadrial where a specific nozzle is needed--as the power source is external, at least with Allomancy. Will and intent take a backseat, though still pop up on occasion. On Nalthis (and in a lesser way, Roshar) will and intent are more important, and what you are trying to do shapes the magic more directly.

A little direct manifestation in this is found in the subtle differences between Allomancy and Feruchemy. In Allomancy, when you enhance the senses, you just get a blast of power--and all senses are enhanced, whether you want them all or not. In Feruchemy, you can be more precise, and pick a specific sense to store. The power is internal here, and therefore more limited in how much you can draw--but you can also be more precise with its manipulation.

Note that Roshar Surgebinding is a special case, as the magical symbiosis there is stronger than it is on other worlds, as much of the magic involves bits of power who have become sapient.

uchoo786

How much crossover is there in use? Like if one "breathes" in the mists they can use it to power their allomancy. Could an Allomancer utilize stormlight to power his allomancy as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the magics can be hacked together in one way or another, but some are easier to interchange than others.

2 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I'll read the theory, but why can't one tap/fill a metalmind your touching in the cognitive or spiritual? And it would use a perpendicularity.

1 hour ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

There is no space, so you would always be in contact with it. WoB said we've seen people go to the spiritual realm, but I think he RAFOed who. I personally think Aon Tia sends people to the spiritual, then pulls them back in the place specified. And yes, we would have to somehow anchor the metalmind to our cognitive self, but Jasna does that with a boat and filled spheres.

It's definitely speculation.

Thanks.

You can't just go into SR. Everything exists in the Spiritual Realm already, because SR contains Investiture and Connections. What people use to get more into SR is either Fortune or Connection. But people don't go there. Only Shards can exist there, because they are bound by different rules.

For Cognitive Realm, I think you would have to have metalminds with you physically there to be able to tap and use them.

SA spoilers

Spoiler

If that would be the case, people on Roshar could just find a bead of sphere and draw in Stormlight from it, which would make Stormlight extremely easy to get in CR, and also disappear from PR, both of which don't happen.

54 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I thought she just looked into the cognitive to make sure it was there. Would you update me on how? (WoBs or scenes from books)

Here:

3 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

For Feruchemy though, I wonder if there is another way you could hack the system that doesn't require Metalminds at all, and instead uses a source of Investiture tied directly to the SR, so as to eliminate the physical limitations of Feruchemical storage space.

Probably just Mists. Some other unkeyed forms of Investiture as well.

10 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Well, compounding is the way to fuel Feruchemy from SR directly.

At the end of the day you need to get Investiture in you somehow, and that means getting your hands on Investiture either through Invested art (Allomancy), free Investiture (Mists, unkeyed Investiture, etc.) or being powered by Shard directly (like Elend was).

Edited by therunner

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

You can't just go into SR. Everything exists in the Spiritual Realm already, because SR contains Investiture and Connections. What people use to get more into SR is either Fortune or Connection. But people don't go there. Only Shards can exist there, because they are bound by different rules.

For Cognitive Realm, I think you would have to have metalminds with you physically there to be able to tap and use them.

SA spoilers

Hide contents

If that would be the case, people on Roshar could just find a bead of sphere and draw in Stormlight from it, which would make Stormlight extremely easy to get in CR, and also disappear from PR, both of which don't happen.

Here:

Probably just Mists. Some other unkeyed forms of Investiture as well.

Perpendicularities peirce all three realms, and one can go from physical to cognitive, so why not one of them to spiritual? A person there would likely die.

Also, I meant metalminds transported physically into the cognitive and atatched to your cognitive self, not the cognitive bits attached to your cognitive self.

Does that excerpt contenue? As far as I can tell, it ends with the ropes turning to smoke, and has nothing to do with the boat and spheres.

10 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Perpendicularities peirce all three realms, and one can go from physical to cognitive, so why not one of them to spiritual? A person there would likely die.

Because the Spiritual Realm is 0 dimensional, and we, humans, are 4 dimensional, and we need 4 dimensions to live. And as far as we know, nobody ever went through perpendicularity to SR. SR is not a place, so you can't go there. It's made up entirely out of investiture and connections, so you can't go there. It's like trying to put a house into a surface of a papar. Like how? It doesn't even make sense.

Spoiler

Questioner

In Shadesmar, the solid and liquid phases are inverted. So, in the Spiritual Realm, is it something to do with solid and gas phases, or is it not the same at all?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not quite where you're going, but I like the way you're thinking.

Questioner

So then what's the reason that they can't travel to the Spiritual Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

The Spiritual Realm is not a place.

Skyward San Francisco signing (Nov. 8, 2018)

Spoiler

Aurimus

As the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms aren't something that exists in real life, is it safe to say that everything within those Realms are comprised of Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Spoiler

Questioner

Why is Kaladin so proficient-- Like naturally born to wield a spear. Is that a weapon he likes or is it a destiny for him?

Brandon Sanderson

So destiny is a strong term... I would say he has natural aptitude, but no more so than a normal person who has a natural aptitude for something. But the way the Spiritual Realm works in the cosmere and the way Connection works, there were certain things that were happening to Kaladin before they happened...

It's like Syl says in one of the books. "You didn't know me then, but I knew you then. Even though we hadn't met yet, I still knew you." You see some weird Connection things too. And these are mostly just for fun sort of cosmere connections. Like when you see Syl take on the look of Shallan standing on the beach. There's gonna be a connection there. It's forming, it doesn't exist yet, but all things are one in the Spiritual Realm, and we're just kinda seeing echoes of that. It's not meant to be destiny, it's more meant to be, "Hey there's little connections happening".

I would not say Kaladin is any more naturally gifted in that than your average professional sports player is naturally gifted in what they do.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

15 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Also, I meant metalminds transported physically into the cognitive and atatched to your cognitive self, not the cognitive bits attached to your cognitive self.

So they don't touch your body. I don't think it would work like that, because you can't just look into CR, not to mention "feel" it. As far as we know, physical contact is required.

16 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Does that excerpt contenue? As far as I can tell, it ends with the ropes turning to smoke, and has nothing to do with the boat and spheres.

It does, but I think not for us. Brandon wrote those scenes to be included in WoR but cut them out.

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Because the Spiritual Realm is 0 dimensional, and we, humans, are 4 dimensional, and we need 4 dimensions to live. And as far as we know, nobody ever went through perpendicularity to SR. SR is not a place, so you can't go there. It's made up entirely out of investiture and connections, so you can't go there. It's like trying to put a house into a surface of a papar. Like how? It doesn't even make sense.

Hide contents

Questioner

In Shadesmar, the solid and liquid phases are inverted. So, in the Spiritual Realm, is it something to do with solid and gas phases, or is it not the same at all?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not quite where you're going, but I like the way you're thinking.

Questioner

So then what's the reason that they can't travel to the Spiritual Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

The Spiritual Realm is not a place.

Skyward San Francisco signing (Nov. 8, 2018)

Hide contents

Aurimus

As the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms aren't something that exists in real life, is it safe to say that everything within those Realms are comprised of Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Hide contents

Questioner

Why is Kaladin so proficient-- Like naturally born to wield a spear. Is that a weapon he likes or is it a destiny for him?

Brandon Sanderson

So destiny is a strong term... I would say he has natural aptitude, but no more so than a normal person who has a natural aptitude for something. But the way the Spiritual Realm works in the cosmere and the way Connection works, there were certain things that were happening to Kaladin before they happened...

It's like Syl says in one of the books. "You didn't know me then, but I knew you then. Even though we hadn't met yet, I still knew you." You see some weird Connection things too. And these are mostly just for fun sort of cosmere connections. Like when you see Syl take on the look of Shallan standing on the beach. There's gonna be a connection there. It's forming, it doesn't exist yet, but all things are one in the Spiritual Realm, and we're just kinda seeing echoes of that. It's not meant to be destiny, it's more meant to be, "Hey there's little connections happening".

I would not say Kaladin is any more naturally gifted in that than your average professional sports player is naturally gifted in what they do.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

So they don't touch your body. I don't think it would work like that, because you can't just look into CR, not to mention "feel" it. As far as we know, physical contact is required.

It does, but I think not for us. Brandon wrote those scenes to be included in WoR but cut them out.

Trying to understand something with 0 dimenstions is incredibly dificult. I imagened it as in everything existing overlapping, in which case it would be fine, if spiritually/mentally touching the metalmind, the physical part of it that holds the investiture, were possible for feruchemistry.

Ok. Then why do you say she has to maintain it in the cognitive?

12 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Trying to understand something with 0 dimenstions is incredibly dificult. I imagened it as in everything existing overlapping

It's a geometric point. Hard to get but that's the easiest explanation. Creating a 0 dimensional map of 4 dimensional spacetime, now this is hard to imagine. Impossible. Is it singularity? But it isn't a map. So, have a nice brain meltdown :) 

And again, WoB literally says that you can't go to SR because it's not a place.

12 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Ok. Then why do you say she has to maintain it in the cognitive?

SA spoilers (as we are in Mistborn forum)

Spoiler

For Jasnah to soulcast from CR, she has to find the bead, hold it and then soulcast, which she proved by soulcasting ropes.

2 minutes ago, alder24 said:

It's a geometric point. Hard to get but that's the easiest explanation. Creating a 0 dimensional map of 4 dimensional spacetime, now this is hard to imagine. Impossible. Is it singularity? But it isn't a map. So, have a nice brain meltdown :) 

And again, WoB literally says that you can't go to SR because it's not a place.

SA spoilers (as we are in Mistborn forum)

Hide contents

For Jasnah to soulcast from CR, she has to find the bead, hold it and then soulcast, which she proved by soulcasting ropes.

But things exist inside the SR. A point cannot contain anything.

Actually, that's the questioner saying that people cannot go there. All Brandon says is it isn't a place. He has responded in ways that don't contradict the truth, but also don't dispell incorrect assumptions before. 

Also, AFAIK, that still doesn't explain it.

3 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Black holes are mathematically a point, and they contain a looot.

4 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Actually, that's the questioner saying that people cannot go there. All Brandon says is it isn't a place. He has responded in ways that don't contradict the truth, but also don't dispell incorrect assumptions before. 

Q: why people can't go there?
B: it isn't a place. 

Does he have to confirm that they can't go there when he answers why they can't go there? If a question was wrong, Brandon would say "they can go there". This answer is a confirmation that people can't go there. That's how language works.

39 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Point can contain quite a lot, if you e.g. create a fiber space above it.

Out universe is 4D, but there is a lot of stuff happening over each individual point (multiple field existing and interacting).

So from this perspective SR can be 0D, but have a infinite dimensional 'Investiture/Connection' space over it. Physical being cannot go there as they require 4D to exists, but a lot of stuff can still be contained there.

41 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

He provides the sentence as answer to why people cannot go there.
At the end of the day though, Fullborn has no way to get stuff in SR, so this is moot point.

And they have no way to attach stuff to their CR representation either, so again they cannot do that.

33 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Black holes are mathematically a point, and they contain a looot.

Eh, black holes have surface at the very minimum so they are not a point.
Singularity is a point, however it is also possibly just a flaw in the equations.

10 minutes ago, therunner said:

Eh, black holes have surface at the very minimum so they are not a point.

That's the event horizon, which isn't a physical object, but the effect of Gravity, so it isn't a surface. 

Singularity is a point, however it is also possibly just a flaw in the equations.

Well, black holes spin, point can't spin, so it's a ringularity! But who knows what's inside the event horizon.

Out universe is 4D, but there is a lot of stuff happening over each individual point (multiple field existing and interacting).

So from this perspective SR can be 0D, but have a infinite dimensional 'Investiture/Connection' space over it. Physical being cannot go there as they require 4D to exists, but a lot of stuff can still be contained there.

I love this explanation.

Edited by alder24

Just now, alder24 said:

That's the event horizon, which isn't a physical object, but the effect of Gravity, so it isn't a surface.

Well, black holes spin, point can't spin, so it's ringularity! But who knows what's inside event horizont.

Well, the surface is the only thing about black holes that is observable (and possibly the thing which fully encodes all information about them if the black hole entropy is correct).

And it is the surface/volume that spins, not the singularity . And technically we have spin, which is kinda like intrinsic rotation even for points (physicst don't crucify me for this)

(and I love the word ringularity :D )

I love this explanation.

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, therunner said:

This explains it.

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

Weird. Especially since there are beings that are supposed to exist fully in the spiritual realm. Or at least Brandon once had the idea to do that, but may have changed his mind.

Boskone 54 (Feb. 18, 2017)

Ironeyes

So, uh, we know that the charcoal creatures are afraid of coins.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Ironeyes

So are the white chalk creatures, which I think are called Shadowblazes…

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Ironeyes

Are they also afraid of coins?

Brandon Sanderson

Are they also afraid of coins? To a much lesser extent. Um, I can give you guys some backstory on this. What’s going on here is that the place these things come from, um, linear structure and things like this are frightening to them, like they come from a non-linear location. Time does not move linearly where they come from. When they come into this world, structure and linear time progression, is bizarre to them. And there are some who have embraced it, and been like, “This is cool and different!” and there are others that are still terrified of it, as a representation of what is so alien from the world they came from. So that’s why we’ve got this whole clocks, and even structure, as a metaphor for, um, something that is terrifying to them.

Uh, Rithmatist started in the Cosmere. The magic shares a lot of its roots, then, in Cosmere magic worldbuilding. I split if off because I wrote the whole first book with it being in the Cosmere. I split it off, saying “No, I don’t want Earth to be in the Cosmere.” Even an alternate version of Earth. It just raises too many questions about the nature of Earth being involved in this. I want the Cosmere to be its own dwarf galaxy of which not even a dimension of Earth is involved. And when I made that decision, I broke Rithmatist off. That’s the only one I had written that didn’t belong, but it still has, so, it means that the magic is going to feel very familiar to you, uh, it’s going to feel like the magic of a, um, of the Cosmere. And Cosmere magic is based around, usually, human beings making a symbiotic bond with an entity made out of the magic. This is, kind of, one of the origins of Cosmere magic, and Rithmatist has, therefore, its roots in that. I’ve done some things since I’ve split it off in the outlines to distinguish it, but it’s going to have the same roots. So you’ll notice some things like that, that are similar.

Questioner

Uh, before you split The Rithmatist from the Cosmere, did the Shadowblazes come from the Cognitive realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Yeah, the Shadowblazes were in the Cognitive realm, they’re--you know, well, they’re more Spiritual realm. They were Spiritual realm, sorry. They were Spiritual realm entities that got pulled in, uh, to the Physical realm. And the Spiritual realm has no time, um, it exists independent of time and location, all times and all places are one, and so, uh, when something that’s from the Spiritual realm got pulled into the Physical realm, it was like, “This is so weird!” Um, and there are very few things in the Cosmere that exist only on the Spiritual realm, which was a really fun thing I could do with this book, was show that. Cause most things exist on all three realms. Um, so, yeah. So, yeah, I mean if you’ve got, if you’re a Cosmere, uh, theologian--not theologian, magic, uh, what do you call it? Uh, they call that, uh, I have a word for it in-world. But anyway, if you’re a realmatic theorist, you can kind of pick out how the Spiritual realm beings were related, originally, to the realmatic theory.

Plus, I still don't really get the whole deal with Shardic Vessels.

I remember that Cultivation was said to have a greater presence in the one valley, so does that mean that Shards have to exist at least partially in the physical realm, or is that just a choice on her part?

11 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

I remember that Cultivation was said to have a greater presence in the one valley, so does that mean that Shards have to exist at least partially in the physical realm, or is that just a choice on her part?

SA spoilers

Spoiler

Their power exists in all three realms. And in the Valley there is a lot of Cultivation power, as there is her bondsmith spren there, lots of Cultivation's investiture, and realms are closer together. Plus, where Shard's mind is focusing also brings more of her presence to that place. So that's just the effect of regular Shard interactions. Like Preservation used his mind to create a prison for Ruin’s mind, it created a place on Scadrial where there was bigger presence of both Ruin and Cultivation, manifesting a perpendicularity there and Ruin's Mists.

6 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

How in Scadrial would an Atium saviant work? Slightly more foresight?

There is WoB from 2010 saying you get to see further into the future, but most recent WoBs are RAFO:

Spoiler

17th Shard

If one were to become an atium savant could they see further into the future than normal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

17th Shard Interview (Oct. 3, 2010)

Spoiler

Questioner

What happens if you become an atium savant?

Brandon Sanderson

I've RAFO'd that in the past, so I'll RAFO it now

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)