What does the Valley do? [SA 5]

Frustration

So with the reveal in the SA 5 sample chapters that Urithiru not only suppresses fused abilities, and has a ton of useful day to day functions, but makes using stormlight unbelievably efficient, or possibly replenishes it as it's used. It got me thinking.

The Stormfather has the Highstorm, which provides endless Stormlight, creates crem, and is able to sustain itself forever.

The Sibling has Urithiru, which makes active stormlight last forever, provides heat, water, light and pressure, and suppresses Fused abilities.

And then there's the Nightwatcher, who has to fit into this somehow.

And the only location I can think of, is the Valley.

So, the question remains: What does the Valley do? And how is Surgebinding different inside of it.

Unfortunately we lack the ability to draw any conclusions, but there is some room for speculation.

If the Stormfather provides infinate stormlight, and the Sibling allows it to be used forever, it stands to reason that The Nightwatcher would make it more powerful.

But anyway what affect on Surgebinding do you think that the Valley would have?

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

So with the reveal in the SA 5 sample chapters that Urithiru not only suppresses fused abilities, and has a ton of useful day to day functions, but makes using stormlight unbelievably efficient, or possibly replenishes it as it's used. It got me thinking.

The Stormfather has the Highstorm, which provides endless Stormlight, creates crem, and is able to sustain itself forever.

The Sibling has Urithiru, which makes active stormlight last forever, provides heat, water, light and pressure, and suppresses Fused abilities.

And then there's the Nightwatcher, who has to fit into this somehow.

And the only location I can think of, is the Valley.

So, the question remains: What does the Valley do? And how is Surgebinding different inside of it.

Unfortunately we lack the ability to draw any conclusions, but there is some room for speculation.

If the Stormfather provides infinate stormlight, and the Sibling allows it to be used forever, it stands to reason that The Nightwatcher would make it more powerful.

But anyway what affect on Surgebinding do you think that the Valley would have?

I can see 2 options:

1) It won`t help knight radiants because it contains lifelight and not stormlight (if this option is tru then probably they can use urithiru because towerlight is partially stormlight). *Lift is different.

2) It will be very similar to Urithiru.

The Valley is most likely the most fertile land on Roshar, a thick jungle full of plantlife. Its growth was probably cultivated by Lifelight. So either it won't do anything as it's a Lifelight that can't be used by Radiants. Or the Valley would cultivate Radiants in a similar way the Valley was. Making their surges more powerful could be that form of cultivation. It might extend surge's reach, make learning progress easier and more intuitive  It can also look the same as Urithiru effects.

The Valley itself having an effect didn't even occur to me

But given Raboniel’s comment about Lifelight, Cultivation’s connection to the place and the abundant flora in that place, that place is definitely steeped in Lifelight.

But *is* that place special? Urithiru is the Sibling’s body manifesting into the physical realm like a spren turns into a shardblade.

The Highstorm probably contains Honor’s Perpendicularity.

Cultivation’s Perpendicularity is up in the Horneater "Oceans".

The Valley is just... the place where the Nightwatcher resides. It's possible it's not special by itself...

But given that it's Brandon, it's eminently possible that that place has many secrets buried. 

Edited by Honorless
typo

The Valley definitely has something going on, since there was a visible fog of green Lifelight there.  WOB says a Shard can have multiple Shardpools/perpendicularities, with a lot of speculation that the Purelake is a secondary one of Cultivation.  The Valley could be another such place that is overly Invested. 

As far as practical effects, it could go a few ways:

• Symmetry:  The Nightwatcher & Valley provide a font of Lifelight, a stationary equivalent to the storm.
  • Spiritual:  Realms are thin, things become more mutable, Soulcasting and other such realmic powers will be enhanced, and it lets the Nightwatcher more easily examine and modify Spiritwebs.  
  • 3rd Step:  If the Storm brings it to the physical realm, and the Tower maintains it, perhaps the Valley will improve the Surge effect somehow.  Maybe it will make Surges blend more easily (rather than needing a Bondsmith's Spiritual Adhesion), or allow for a less offensive means than traps for getting Spren in fabrials, or perhaps be a source of special/advanced Spren the way Aimia is.
Edited by Quantus
formatting

I seem to get a lot of random thoughts while reading your posts, but does anyone think maybe the three moons have anything to do with the BondSmith spren and the NightWatcher?  Hoid's story in OathBringer was supposedly an origin story for Axis the collector and the blue skin of the Natan people.  But in his story, he references how crafty Mishim is, while Notum is revered. That sounds like it could be descriptions of the NightWatcher and StormFather respecively.  On top of that, they're referred to as siblings in the story.  

Over analyzing maybe?

52 minutes ago, Letryx13 said:

I seem to get a lot of random thoughts while reading your posts, but does anyone think maybe the three moons have anything to do with the BondSmith spren and the NightWatcher?  Hoid's story in OathBringer was supposedly an origin story for Axis the collector and the blue skin of the Natan people.  But in his story, he references how crafty Mishim is, while Notum is revered. That sounds like it could be descriptions of the NightWatcher and StormFather respecively.  On top of that, they're referred to as siblings in the story.  

Over analyzing maybe?

Brandon said that he added the three moons as a hint to the three shards on roshar.

Tony Patrick

Where did you get the idea to have multiple moons on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

I have no idea, it's gone back so far. I mean... Yeah, no idea. I like doing weird things with the cosmology and with planets and things like that. For the 2010 version, looking at the moons, I wanted to subtly indicate the presence of three gods and kind of subtly give some color scheme indications of them and things like that, but they aren't one to one. Just that idea, because everything was based around ten, I wanted some threes hanging around in the world building as well.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

Edited by offer

I think the green mist in the Valley is Lifelight, yeah, so it's at least fundamentally similar. Whether it's equally *useful* to Radiants, who don't generally use Lifelight, is another question. But as Lights get better understood that might cease to be an issue.

(It could also be a location set up for Lift to Ascend to Cultivation in the second arc. Honor says Cultivation has better future sight, so she might have been planning this for thousands of years. Koravari wouldn't necessarily have to die, either - as a dragon she's ageless anyway so she could give up her Shard and remain immortal.)