Mistborn vs. 3rd ideal Skybreaker.

Frustration

Just now, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Will it?

Active investiture is harder to affect. 

Reveal hidden contents

Starfishpr1me

Why do Szeth and Kaladin not suck all the stormlight out of the gems that power shardplate when they fight people wearing plate, thus rendering the plate useless? Is there something different about the gems that power plate that would make this impossible?

Brandon Sanderson

So, in the magic of Stormlight (and across several of my books) there's are some underlying principles. One is that the power of the magic (which we call investiture) is difficult to manipulate when it is claimed by someone, or something, else.

You can imagine that magic in the process of being used, like the energy powering plate, works like a kind of negative charge to your own magic. Trying to lash someone in Plate will be very difficult, as the stormlight in the plate is going to resist your attempts to push through it and get at the person. Likewise, that power in the plate is actively being used--draining it is difficult.

If you can rip off a piece of the plate, disconnecting it from the system, then you can get at those gemstones and drain them much more easily. But tucked away inside, they're both shielded and being actively used by the armor. They would be virtually impossible to drain.

Stormlight Three Update #5 (Nov. 28, 2016)

Kaladin can't suck Stormlight from other Radiants, Chromium can. If it can do that, it can drain Stormlight being used for Division too.

18 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Kaladin can't suck Stormlight from other Radiants, Chromium can. If it can do that, it can drain Stormlight being used for Division too.

Chromium struggles with invested metals, active stormlight will resist further.

14 minutes ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Chromium struggles with invested metals, active stormlight will resist further.

I wouldn't say it struggles with invested metals. And as hard as Stormlight may be, leeching would be effective against breath:

Podman36

How effective would a Leecher be at draining Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

They could be fairly effective.

Questioner

How significant would the difference be between Breath and Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

That, I'll RAFO for now, because we're actually getting the actual numbers. We have certain people working on a project for that.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

And a mere 1,000 breaths can make a Shardblade. Breaths are far more invested and more difficult to steal than Stormlight.

20 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

And a mere 1,000 breaths can make a Shardblade. Breaths are far more invested and more difficult to steal than Stormlight.

Mere 1000 breaths and  something special (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/360/#e10871) and possibly even Dawnshard (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/509/#e16006).

Note that Azure's blade is less powerful then regular Shardblades + is generally limited like deadblades are.

We don't actually know yet how Invested Breaths are, so not sure why you are so confident.

14 minutes ago, therunner said:

Mere 1000 breaths and  something special (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/360/#e10871) and possibly even Dawnshard (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/509/#e16006).

Note that Azure's blade is less powerful then regular Shardblades + is generally limited like deadblades are.

We don't actually know yet how Invested Breaths are, so not sure why you are so confident.

I was talking about Azure's Blade, not Nightblood. While it is weaker than Radiant Blades, it is sentient and can be considered a Shardblade. Since spren are not made using Stormlight but instead direct splinters of Honor's power, it is safe to assume that Breaths are more invested than Stormlight. And it is more difficult to steal them than it is Stormlight.

17 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

I was talking about Azure's Blade, not Nightblood. While it is weaker than Radiant Blades, it is sentient and can be considered a Shardblade. Since spren are not made using Stormlight but instead direct splinters of Honor's power, it is safe to assume that Breaths are more invested than Stormlight. And it is more difficult to steal them than it is Stormlight.

If spreb aren't made from stormlight why does anti-stormlight kill them?

Just now, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

If spreb aren't made from stormlight why does anti-stormlight kill them?

They are made from Honor's investiture, which is pretty much the same as Stormlight, but spren aren't made from gathered or stored Stormlight. They're created at places where Honor's investiture gathers, implying that using Stormlight would be too inneficient.

26 minutes ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

If spren aren't made from stormlight why does anti-stormlight kill them?

21 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

They are made from Honor's investiture, which is pretty much the same as Stormlight, but spren aren't made from gathered or stored Stormlight. They're created at places where Honor's investiture gathers, implying that using Stormlight would be too inneficient.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most spren made up of a blend of Honor and Cultivation's Investiture, or Adonlasium's Investiture for the spren that predate the Shattering? The only spren we've seen killed by anti-light have been Honorspren specifically. Alongside the Fused of course, which run on Voidlight. 

Not meaning to derail the discussion- just want to make sure the info's correct :)

Edited by Werewolff Studios
Spelling

Just now, Werewolff Studios said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most spren made up of a blend of Honor and Cultivation's Investiture, or Adonlasium's Investiture for the spren that predate the Shattering? The only spren we've seen killed by anti-light have been Honorspren specifically. Alongside the Fused of course, which run on Voidlight. 

Not meaning to derail the argument - just want to make sure the info's correct :)

Yeah, most spren are a mix. Anti-Stormlight would still most likely kill spren that aren't as pure Honor as Honorspren, but they are a blend. And all of Adonalsium's Investiture got assigned to the different Shards though, so there aren't any Adonalsium-spren running around.

2 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Yeah, most spren are a mix. Anti-Stormlight would still most likely kill spren that aren't as pure Honor as Honorspren, but they are a blend. And all of Adonalsium's Investiture got assigned to the different Shards though, so there aren't any Adonalsium-spren running around.

Cultivationspren be chilling until that Anti-Lifelight comes around. :D

And good point on the Adonalsium-spren. Just wanted to make sure I covered my bases. 

35 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

If any investiture can counter any other why is Raysium unaffected by anti-voidlight?

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Because it's in solid form. Spiritwebs are vulnerable, as is gaseous investiture.

Spoiler

Questioner

Is there a significant connection between Stormlight and spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

What is the extent of that, I guess? Is that a Read And Find Out?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

WoB

1 minute ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Is there a significant connection between Stormlight and spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

What is the extent of that, I guess? Is that a Read And Find Out?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

WoB

I'm not arguing that spren aren't made out of Honor's investiture, I'm arguing that they don't take Stormlight from spheres to make spren because they would need too many spheres. Stormlight is less dense than breaths.

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

I'm not arguing that spren aren't made out of Honor's investiture, I'm arguing that they don't take Stormlight from spheres to make spren because they would need too many spheres. 

Oh it would take millions of spheres, but that doesn't mean that these "areas where honor's investiture gathers" aren't collecting stormlight. 

5 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Stormlight is less dense than breaths.

What makes you say that?

18 minutes ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Oh it would take millions of spheres, but that doesn't mean that these "areas where honor's investiture gathers" aren't collecting stormlight. 

I agree.

18 minutes ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

What makes you say that?

As I said, it takes only 1,000 breaths to create a sentient Shardblade. Yes, they're more limited and possibly less invested than the spren we see in SA, but they're at least in the same ballpark.

7 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

As I said, it takes only 1,000 breaths to create a sentient Shardblade. Yes, they're more limited and possibly less invested than the spren we see in SA, but they're at least in the same ballpark.

Elsecallers create mini-perpendicularities but they have nowhere near the same investiture as Bondsmiths. Breath is more inclined towards sentience, allowing it to achieve it at lower investiture than stormlight would.

Edited by Ookla the Frustrated.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Elsecallers create mini-perpendicularities but they have nowhere near the same investiture as Bondsmiths. Breath is more inclined towards sentience, allowing it to achieve it at lower investiture than stormlight would.

And the Shardblade?

25 minutes ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

???

Are you referring to its ability to cut?

It is a Shardblade, functioning very similarly to a normal Blade aside from an inability to form a Nahel bond. That means it is on the same "Investiture tier" as ordinary Radiant spren.

10 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

It is a Shardblade, functioning very similarly to a normal Blade aside from an inability to form a Nahel bond. That means it is on the same "Investiture tier" as ordinary Radiant spren.

Radiant spren have enough investiture to form several feet worth of shardmetal, which is far beyond what Astrixs has accomplished. 

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Radiant spren have enough investiture to form several feet worth of shardmetal, which is far beyond what Astrixs has accomplished. 

We haven't heard that there's any limit on the size an awakened metal object can be. They just make it regular swords because those are the most practical in all situations.

2 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

We haven't heard that there's any limit on the size an awakened metal object can be. They just make it regular swords because those are the most practical in all situations.

It's not the size that's important, it's that it's a shardmetal.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

It's not the size that's important, it's that it's a shardmetal.

Azure's blade is Shardmetal. It's visually indistinguishable from a normal Blade, and functions almost the exact same way, only with a Nalthis-style kill effect instead of a Roshar-style.