The 17th Shard Symphony Orchestra (and other musicians)

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

Violin...I knowwww I wish I played the cello but I don't have time to learn another instrument right now...or probably ever...

Good luck!! 

guys😠

violinists are GREAT when they know what they’re doing😁😁

i currently play piano…of course I did recorder when I was young and I took flute and clarinet for about three months each before quitting 🤪

Edited by Part Of The Narrative

On 12/21/2023 at 9:59 AM, Ookla said:

I have played the violin (for about 9 years; I didn't like it and quit twice [don't ask]), the piano (for about 11 years, then quit due to time constraints), the organ (to keep up the piano skills), and the Irish pennywhistle (I don't play this as much as I should; it's super fun, though!). I also have approximately 30 total minutes, each, of bass and cello experience (because I was helping out with a summer orchestra program and we didn't have enough experienced bassists one of the days to teach the newbies who'd never touched a bass before, and cello looked fun to play with). I've gotta say, my fingers never hurt so bad as when I played the bass for a few minutes. Y'all who play it well are incredible.

thank you, thank you very much. At one point I had four different layers of skin visible due to a blister growing then popping, another blister in that blister popping, a blister in that blister popping, and a fourth blister forming and popping. my finger is back to normal now.

2 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Violin...I knowwww I wish I played the cello but I don't have time to learn another instrument right now...or probably ever...

but cello...

1 hour ago, Part Of The Narrative said:

Good luck!! 

guys😠

violinists are GREAT when they know what they’re doing😁😁

i currently play piano…of course I did recorder when I was young and I took flute and clarinet for about three months each before quitting 🤪

But...

but cellists are just better! Like, I have some violin friends that I absolutely love, but I love my cello friends just as much (and there are more of them). Plus there are less annoying cellos than violins.

1 minute ago, Immortal Platypus said:

thank you, thank you very much. At one point I had four different layers of skin visible due to a blister growing then popping, another blister in that blister popping, a blister in that blister popping, and a fourth blister forming and popping. my finger is back to normal now.

but cello...

But...

but cellists are just better! Like, I have some violin friends that I absolutely love, but I love my cello friends just as much (and there are more of them). Plus there are less annoying cellos than violins.

meh. I do love cellos...

15 minutes ago, Immortal Platypus said:

but cello...

But...

Are you saying there are more Cellos than Violins in your orchestra, or just that you're friends with more cello players than violin players?

31 minutes ago, Lord Spirit said:

Are you saying there are more Cellos than Violins in your orchestra, or just that you're friends with more cello players than violin players?

almost both. I'm saying the second one, although, when our high school and jr high orchestras get together, there are almost as many cellos

*sighs* I want to play with a full orchestra again...where there's a solid 30 cellos...and a harp...and so many violas...

I think the audition went well, though I won't know until tonight :) 

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

*sighs* I want to play with a full orchestra again...where there's a solid 30 cellos...and a harp...and so many violas...

I think the audition went well, though I won't know until tonight :) 

not that many. I'm in our school's highest orchestra and we have 5 1st violins, 5 2nd violins, 4 violas, 5 cellos, and 2 basses. it's a good balance. 30 cellos would completely drown out the harp, and don't get your heart set on having a lot of violas.

16 minutes ago, Immortal Platypus said:

not that many. I'm in our school's highest orchestra and we have 5 1st violins, 5 2nd violins, 4 violas, 5 cellos, and 2 basses. it's a good balance. 30 cellos would completely drown out the harp, and don't get your heart set on having a lot of violas.

Violas are less common. When I started freshman year of high school, there were two other violas, both of whom were freshmen as well. 

On 1/4/2024 at 2:13 PM, Immortal Platypus said:

Oh, dear. Yup, I'm leaving my bass experience at its current number of minutes; I don't even have violin calluses to help me anymore. I've spent too long playing other things.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Immortal Platypus said:

@Edema Rue! you didn't tell us if you got in to what you auditioned for!

…Oopsy I didn’t. I got in as a second violinist!

33 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I hope you got in. I messed up my audition so I want to see some other Sanderfan be successful.

Aww *hugs* way to try anyway. I did get in, but…hehehehehehehe anyone ever tried to play in 7 sharps?? All to accompany one single person, so you have to sound perfect or he’ll look bad, and he can’t look bad because he’s like the best singer/actor at your school?

2 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

…Oopsy I didn’t. I got in as a second violinist!

Aww *hugs* way to try anyway. I did get in, but…hehehehehehehe anyone ever tried to play in 7 sharps?? All to accompany one single person, so you have to sound perfect or he’ll look bad, and he can’t look bad because he’s like the best singer/actor at your school?

Second part is nothing to be ashamed of.

Just now, Edema Rue said:

*cries*

My orchestra asked us not to talk about 7 sharps so she wouldn’t start ranting about it.

I’m sorry you had to learn that peice, but you’re better off from learning it, right?

12 minutes ago, TwinSouls said:

My orchestra asked us not to talk about 7 sharps so she wouldn’t start ranting about it.

I’m sorry you had to learn that peice, but you’re better off from learning it, right?

I feel like I don’t even know it yet… *screams*

Once I finally get it though I’ll probably be glad to have learned it. Except that I only have about two weeks…hehe I don’t know why our conductor (who happens to be in high school) thinks it’s possible to sight read a whole two hour show at full speed, but I think he overestimates how quickly we can learn music. 

47 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

I feel like I don’t even know it yet… *screams*

Once I finally get it though I’ll probably be glad to have learned it. Except that I only have about two weeks…hehe I don’t know why our conductor (who happens to be in high school) thinks it’s possible to sight read a whole two hour show at full speed, but I think he overestimates how quickly we can learn music. 

Oh my…