Rasium probably stores emotion whwn used feruchemically

LordFlea

Interesting and plausible theory. Heightened emotion (along with strong sensory input) has been shown to improve memory. Also, if Tapping not only releases emotion, but the specific emotion stored; then that would be highly useful for actors, politicians and grifters (not that those aren't all the same thing really). . .

PS: your title has "when" misspelled - but you can fix it if you edit the first post.

11 hours ago, LordFlea said:

My pet theory is that using a Rasium metalmind would store your emotion or passion at the time. This could be really useful in making calm rational decisions. Not sure how useful releasing said emotions would be in large quantities (maybe for therapy)?

What would honor godmetail store?

On 8/15/2022 at 0:25 AM, LordFlea said:

My pet theory is that using a Rasium metalmind would store your emotion or passion at the time. This could be really useful in making calm rational decisions. Not sure how useful releasing said emotions would be in large quantities (maybe for therapy)?

Philosophically, i disagree with the idea that not considering your own emotions will inherently help you make more rational decisions, I don't think rationality and emotions are at odds with eachother. But i do think they can get in the way of eachother, if you're having a panic attack for example and not able to be more rational about things, or when you know something "makes sense" so you shove down your emotions about it, so I do think this would still be helpful.

This does seem like a pretty neat power, I could see something like this being the case! I wish we had more cases to go on for feruchemy with godmetals (do we even know what lerasium does?), but I suppose atium's use of age could be seen as in-line with ruin's intent, since age is the inevitable progression toward death and arguably the slow ruin of the body. So it would make sense if other feruchemical interactions with godmetals have to do with the shardic intent. (Weird that allomancy doesn't. Why does atium let you see the future? Why does lerasium do... connection? I'm not even sure.)

Also this is probably a better fit for the cosmere thread, not the stormlight one

On 8/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

Philosophically, i disagree with the idea that not considering your own emotions will inherently help you make more rational decisions, I don't think rationality and emotions are at odds with eachother. But i do think they can get in the way of eachother, if you're having a panic attack for example and not able to be more rational about things, or when you know something "makes sense" so you shove down your emotions about it, so I do think this would still be helpful.

I think it depends on how you define "emotions." If you refer to any change in neural chemistry, no matter how small, then yes -- emotions can be necessary to be rational about things (or to have the motivation to act/think at all). That's kind of the way allomancy treats emotion, since powerful soothing is debilitating.

That said, what we see with Moash/Vyre is pretty different. Odium consuming his "passions" doesn't make him perfectly rational, but it does keep his emotional attachments from interfering with his ability to accomplish things. We see a similar duality with Taravangian's intelligent & apathetic side versus his unintelligent and sympathetic side.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

This does seem like a pretty neat power, I could see something like this being the case! I wish we had more cases to go on for feruchemy with godmetals (do we even know what lerasium does?), but I suppose atium's use of age could be seen as in-line with ruin's intent, since age is the inevitable progression toward death and arguably the slow ruin of the body. So it would make sense if other feruchemical interactions with godmetals have to do with the shardic intent. (Weird that allomancy doesn't. Why does atium let you see the future? Why does lerasium do... connection? I'm not even sure.)

Also this is probably a better fit for the cosmere thread, not the stormlight one

Ive heard of Studies done on human with neurological defects that make it impossible to feel emotions. They struggle to complete even the simplest of tasks because of extreme indecision. 

On 8/15/2022 at 8:44 AM, bmcclure7 said:

Possibly something Honor-related, or related to oaths? Maybe something like duty (which isn't determination because it isn't the determination to do something, it's the obligation to), or integrity, or morality, or *insert any other synonym for honor here*. If it was morality, it could make for a unique villain that stores morality, so they always feel like they are doing the "right thing", no matter how evil they are actually being. 

10 hours ago, Odiumiumium said:

Possibly something Honor-related, or related to oaths? Maybe something like duty (which isn't determination because it isn't the determination to do something, it's the obligation to), or integrity, or morality, or *insert any other synonym for honor here*. If it was morality, it could make for a unique villain that stores morality, so they always feel like they are doing the "right thing", no matter how evil they are actually being. 

I've been thinking about it more I think it could be self control. 

Store in it when make you lose control of your inhibitions. Making it impossible for you to resist resist your dark desires. Think alcohol but without the other physical effects. 

Tapping it Would make you rigid almost robotic  In your ability to disregard the concerns and desires of the your body and mind. 

This would actually make for a really interesting character. Someone could spend all night partying it up  Is storing as much self control as possible while they let their inner  hedonist out.   Then at their job during the day they can tap they can tap to be immune to bribery or seduction.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:44 AM, bmcclure7 said:

Perhaps some attribute that exemplifies commitment, or the ability to resist external influence on your Spiritweb?

Kind of makes me wonder what Cultivation's metal would do Allomantically or Feruchemically. Grow and cultivate your Spiritweb in some way, perhaps similar to Lerasium?

Edited by Trusk'our

2 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Perhaps some attribute that exemplifies commitment, or the ability to resist external influence on your Spiritweb?

Kind of makes me wonder what Cultivation's metal would do Allomantically or Feruchemically. Grow and cultivate your Spiritweb in some way, perhaps similar to Lerasium?

Probably maturity. It would Allow you to real be a kid again.  

Edited by bmcclure7

• 2 months later...