What If...? Stormlight Edition

S. Stormy

This would be fun. Topics such as What If... Adolin Stayed Behind? or What If... Kaladin Had Grandparents?* or What If... Kaladin's Homecoming Was From Lirin's PoV?

*meaning people who acted as his grandparents.

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed
Rephrasing

What if Renarin ascended?

What if Jasnah had died in WoR?

What if Dalinar reverted to the blackthorn to deal with Sadeas?

What if Shallan had succeeded in stealing the soulcaster and took it back to her family?

Edited by Nathrangking

I wrote this a while ago, it's the homecoming from Lirin's perspective. It's not really any changes to the scene at all, just different thoughts.

Spoiler

A figure walked through the door. Lirin glanced up. A soldier. Reinforcements?

“What’s this?” Lirin asked, turning back to his work. “Did the highprince’s house send soldiers already? That was faster than expected. How many did you bring? We can certainly use…”

Wait. 

It couldn’t be. Kaladin was dead.

And yet…

Scruffy, bearded, his face far leaner and tougher than he remembered. He stood significantly taller than Lirin. But…

“Hello, Father,” his son said. 

A guardsman sprinted for Kal, attempting to attack him. Kaladin dodged easily and pushed the man off balance. It was performed with ease, practiced. it didn't fit with the boy he knew. But...

“It is you,” Lirin said. He scrambled to embrace his son. Storms. His son. His son was alive. “Oh, Kal. My boy. My little boy. Hesina! HESINA!” 

His wife was there a moment later, standing stock-still. She raised a hand to her lips, then reached to touch Kal’s face.

“I’m sorry, Father, Mother,” he said softly. “I joined the army to protect him, but I could barely protect myself.” He started shaking and leaned against the wall, then let himself slide down. “I let Tien die. I’m sorry. It’s my fault…”

Oh, Kaladin. It’s not your fault. Not yours

Hesina knelt beside Kal, then reached to hug him. “Oh, Kaladin. We got your letter, but over a year ago they told us you had died as well.”

Kaladin seemed not to notice her words. “I should have saved him.”

I told you this would happen. I told you. This is what war is. Not glory. Just pain and death.

“You shouldn’t have gone in the first place,” Lirin said. “But now… Almighty, now you’re back.” Lirin stood up, tears leaking down his cheeks. “My son! My son is alive!”

Lirin stood arguing with a soldier. He hadn’t noticed at first, but Kaladin had slave brands.

Oh, Kal. What was done to you?

“That’s obviously a slave’s brand, Lirin. Sas glyph, so it happened here in the princedom. They probably told you he’d died to save you the shame of the truth. And then the shash brand—you don’t get that for mere insubordination.”

And what did you do?

Hesina still spoke with Kaladin, comforting him. He seemed tired, and haunted.

“He’s a runaway slave,” the guard captain hissed. “We can’t just ignore that, surgeon. He probably stole the uniform. And even if for some reason he was allowed to hold a spear despite his brands, he’s a deserter. Look at those haunted eyes and tell me you don’t see a man who has done terrible things.” 

The words frightened Lirin, because he didn’t know enough to deny them. What had happened to his son between the years between then and now?

And yet…

“He is my son.  I’ll buy his writ of slavery. You’re not taking him. Tell Roshone he can either let this slide, or he can go without a surgeon. Unless he assumes Mara can take over after just a few years of apprenticeship.”

The soldier didn’t budge. Storming man.

“Hesina! Write a letter to the highprince’s administrators,” Lirin said. “Explain the situation; see if we can get a forbearance, or at least an explanation.” He looked to the soldier. “Will that satisfy your master? We can wait upon a higher authority, and in the meantime I can have my son back.”

“We’ll see,” the soldier said, folding his arms. “I’m not sure how much I like the idea of a shash-branded man running around my town.” 

Lirin turned away, ignoring the man. Kaladin stood, then stretched and moved toward him. He seemed to be talking to himself. 

Roshone walked in, looking annoyed as usual. 

“So, you’re alive. They didn’t teach you to keep yourself in the army, I see. Let me have a look at those brands of yours.” He reached over and held up the hair in front of Kaladin’s forehead. “Storms, boy. What did you do? Hit a lighteyes?”

“Yes,” Kaladin said. Then, he raised his hand and punched Roshone in the face.

What on Roshar is he doing?

33 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

What if Renarin ascended?

What if Jasnah had died in WoR?

What if Dalinar reverted to the blackthorn to deal with Sadeas?

What if Shallan had succeeded in stealing the soulcaster?

1.For jasnah death

Some one else would be king probably Adolin. Wit would be closer to Dalinar.

The honor Spren expodition wouldnt succeed. 

Shallan might have a kid by now.

2. For Shallan and the soul caster

This is what happened in the book

3. For the blackthorn

Odium wins. 

Edited by bmcclure7

1 minute ago, bmcclure7 said:

1.For jasnah death

Some one else would be king probably Adolin. Wit would be closer to Dalinar.

The honor Spren expodition wouldnt succeed. 

Shallan might have a kid by now.

For Shallan and soul caster

This is what happened in the book

For the blackthorn

Odium wins. 

That's not what happens though. She does not succeed.

1 minute ago, bmcclure7 said:

Yes she dose right after the "Lession" 

She takes it and gets caught. Though I suppose my what if should be worded a bit more clearly. I added to it.

Edited by Nathrangking

2 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

She takes it and gets caught. Though I suppose my what if should be worded a bit more clearly. I added to it.

For Shallan:   She goes home To offer up the fake soulcaster  To the ghost bloods. They quickly tell it's a fake. In the last desperate attempt to save her family she offers herself since she she has figured out she can soulcast on her own. 

The ghost blood's happily accept and begin training Shallan. 

After a training montage. She is sent on her 1st mission. Infiltrate the  Kolin family  And make sure dalinar finds the tower. 

Disguised as a foreign scholar Coming to the shattered planes to study the chasmfends. She begins datting Dalinar oldest son. 

She succeeds in finding the tower.  But must reveal her nature as a Knight's radiant to do it.

Her next mission is to Defeat the midnight mother.  After her success Jasnah  Returns from the dead forcing shallan into hiding.  

Shallan next mission is to get contact with  The  Taker of secrets. To do that she must go to Kolonar.

While there she Contact adolin  Who is there to save the city.  He is reluctant to trust her at first but she tells him the truth and eventually wins him over.

The rest of it plays out pretty much like it does in the Books.  Until the end of oathbringer. 

At the end of oathbringer Jasnah  Attempts to arrest Shallan but Adolin intervenes allowing her to escape. 

Is back in the tower her and adolin marry in secret. Jasnah  Continues hunting for the ghostbloods and shallan.   Shallan's next mission is to assassinate Jasnah.

Rhythm of war begins Jasnah and Shallan  Have been trying to kill each other for the entire year but neither has succeed. She was given a new mission Convince Adolin to  Bring her secretly along on his mission to the honor Spren there kidnapp Kalak.

She goes along but at the last minute choses Adolin over the Ghostbloods. 

Edited by bmcclure7

2 hours ago, Master Silver said:

What if Dalinar bonded the honor blade? That would drastically change parts of the book. 

Exactly my thoughts. On each of my rereads I keep wanting to punch myself in the face because Dalinar doesn’t bond the honor blade. To quote the man. “With so many shards around i thought I might as well have one.” Also thematically it would be amazing, the honorblade of the man that was considered the greatest man alive? 
anyways I think Dalinar would be tempted to return to being the blackthorn 

3 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

This would be fun. Topics such as What If... Adolin Stayed Behind? or What If... Kaladin Had Grandparents?* or What If... Kaladin's Homecoming Was From Lirin's PoV?

*meaning people who acted as his grandparents.

I don't see how grandparents would change his story. 

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

What If:  Hoid stayed away from Roshar entirely. A different Kings Wit, No suspiciously well-timed parables, etc. 

(He's had more of a central and ongoing role there compared to anywhere else).

Shallan would have Stayed behind in Kolinar.

Design would have been captured.

Kaliden would be Odium champion. 

Dalinar would have a honor blade. 

Edited by bmcclure7

9 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Shallan would have Stayed behind in Kolinar.

Design would have been captured.

Kaliden would be Odium champion. 

Dalinar would have a honor blade. 

Personally I have strong doubts that Dalinar could have survived Sadeas without Hoid lurking around as Wit. 

On 7/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, bmcclure7 said:

I don't see how grandparents would change his story. 

It might not change his story... but it would be fun. (like how stereotypically, grandmas always give candy and say "you've grown a foot!" and it would be fun if Kaladin had stereotypical grandparents. I sort of... kind of... wrote a fan fiction about it?)

[insert quote about Kaladin becoming Odium's Champion here, it didn't work for some reason]

I don't know if he would have been. I mean, was he ever on that path? It seems like all that Wit saved him from by talking to him in that nightmare was just giving up and "lying down and dying", not necessarily becoming Odium's Champion. I'm not sure though.

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed
Adding info

2 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

It might not change his story... but it would be fun. (like how stereotypically, grandmas always give candy and say "you've grown a foot!" and it would be fun if Kaladin had stereotypical grandparents. I sort of... kind of... wrote a fan fiction about it?)

[insert quote about Kaladin becoming Odium's Champion here, I couldn't figure it out]

I don't know if he would have been. I mean, was he ever on that path? It seems like all that Wit saved him from by talking to him in that nightmare was just giving up and "lying down and dying", not necessarily becoming Odium's Champion. I'm not sure though.

Maybe not but that was definitely odium's endgame and and the 1st step of that seemed to be getting him to give up.  Perhaps he would have only committed suicide but I don't think odium would have let that happen. 

I would like to see  Kaledin and his father interacting with his Some friendly grandparents.   Both him and his father can be so serious sometimes be nice if he had a grandfather That was more laid back and easy going to contrast.

Edited by bmcclure7

• 1 month later...