The CIA

Well, I'm creating the CIA, or at least the CIA thread. @HippoPhileus is the real mastermind behind this, so he is the president, I guess I am the vice-president.

Now for the introduction to the CIA. CIA stands for the Cookie Information Association. We are here to help new members of the shard to feel welcome and more importantly, keep them safe from exploitation by malicious members of the DA (when I see that I think of Dumbledore's Army, its actually the Dark Alley) and prevent the unintentional ingestion of Hemalurgic spikes.

We obtain this goal by the distribution of the below pamphlet, in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

COOKIE INFORMATIONAL PAMPHLET:

This is not an endorsement of the Alleyverse. This is just an informational pamphlet for the good of all new and inexperienced participants of the forums.

If you are new to the 17th Shard's forums, you will likely be asked if you would like a "cookie." Since there are underlying intentions to these supposed "cookies," this pamphlet aims to inform the reader of their true meaning. Continuing to read is your own decision.

Spoiler

WARNING: These cookies contain hemalurgical spikes.

If you are offered a cookie and do not turn it down, the conversation will inevitably turn to the offer of a link. This link might lead you to this topic thread: Cookies?!? Not a trap?

Essentially, cookies are an invitation to the Alleyverse. The Alleyverse is an RPG made up of multiple threads and split into multiple guilds. There are different threads including (but not limited to) location threads, plot threads, and threads for talking out of game. Reportedly "a fun rpg" (Thaidakar the Ghostblood), the Alleyverse is a popular choice among the available RPGs on the 17th Shard (but not the only option).

Thank you for reading this Cookie Informational Pamphlet. We at the CIA (Cookie Information Association) work to inform the forums of the meaning behind cookies. We do not aim to discourage anyone from accepting a cookie, simply to help them make an informed decision.

We have some rules for agents of the CIA, which are as followed: (this list will be edited to include more rules as they are created)

• Do NOT distribute this pamphlet unless another person has already attempted to distribute cookies on a thread(recently)
  • Do NOT derail a conversation with debate about ethicality of cookies or other such topics.
  • If another sharder is being excessive in their attempts to sway people to the DA, contact a member of the ADMINS (Amazing Dutiful Men(and women) Instructing Niceties (of the) Shard), Preferably @AonEne or @Voidus
  • If one of our own is too excessive, contact me or HippoPhileus and we will take care of the situation

We will probably have a member list and way to join, but not yet, so just pledge your support, I guess.

Edited by Ta'veren Kaladin

2 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

*blows raspberry* though I have stopped distributing the awesome cookies I don't fully support this guild.

Good for you.

2 hours ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Well, I'm creating the CIA, or at least the CIA thread. HippoPhileus is the real mastermind behind this, so he is the president, I guess I am the vice-president.

Now for the introduction to the CIA. CIA stands for the Cookie Information Association. We are here to help new members of the shard to feel welcome and more importantly, keep them safe from exploitation by malicious members of the DA (when I see that I think of Dumbledore's Army, its actually the Dark Alley) and prevent the unintentional ingestion of Hemalurgic spikes.

We obtain this goal by the distribution of the below pamphlet, in spoiler tags.

Reveal hidden contents

COOKIE INFORMATIONAL PAMPHLET:

This is not an endorsement of the Alleyverse. This is just an informational pamphlet for the good of all new and inexperienced participants of the forums.

If you are new to the 17th Shard's forums, you will likely be asked if you would like a "cookie." Since there are underlying intentions to these supposed "cookies," this pamphlet aims to inform the reader of their true meaning. Continuing to read is your own decision.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

WARNING: These cookies contain hemalurgical spikes.

If you are offered a cookie and do not turn it down, the conversation will inevitably turn to the offer of a link. This link might lead you to this topic thread: Cookies?!? Not a trap?

Essentially, cookies are an invitation to the Alleyverse. The Alleyverse is an RPG made up of multiple threads and split into multiple guilds. There are different threads including (but not limited to) location threads, plot threads, and threads for talking out of game. Reportedly "a fun rpg" (Thaidakar the Ghostblood), the Alleyverse is a popular choice among the available RPGs on the 17th Shard (but not the only option).

Thank you for reading this Cookie Informational Pamphlet. We at the CIA (Cookie Information Association) work to inform the forums of the meaning behind cookies. We do not aim to discourage anyone from accepting a cookie, simply to help them make an informed decision.

We have some rules for agents of the CIA, which are as followed: (this list will be edited to include more rules as they are created)

• Do NOT distribute this pamphlet unless another person has already attempted to distribute cookies on a thread(recently)

We will probably have a member list and way to join, but not yet, so just pledge your support, I guess.

Thank you Ta'veren Kaladin!

This is I believe the fourth time someone has founded such a guild :P
Regardless the DA do not actually provide cookies in intro threads any more, nor have we for some time. The practice was common enough and employed not only by us but by others as well that it sort of became a meme and sometimes people still use it but we actually stopped the practice in the guilds specifically because of things like this where intro threads would get derailed with dozens of comments around cookies and whether or not they were ethical and should be eaten, etc. Which is not very welcoming for newcomers. So please avoid these kinds of discussions in intro threads and if someone is being too aggressive with discussions of cookies do let someone know, ideally either myself or @AonEne since we're the mods who are most involved with the Alleyverse and by extension the DA.

+1 to Voidus, well put. In addition I'd like to add that the offering of a cookie should not turn to a recommendation to join the RP or links unless the new members asks for them. Offering cookies is fine as long as you're not getting into arguments over newbies and taking over their threads, but do not attempt to solicit for any guild (including this one) in your posts unless they ask for suggestions of forum threads/activities etc. 

I very much appreciate the wanting to inform and help out new members of the forums! Please feel free to report if you think someone is going overboard, and mods will decide whether they are or not. ^_^ 

12 hours ago, AonEne said:

+1 to Voidus, well put. In addition I'd like to add that the offering of a cookie should not turn to a recommendation to join the RP or links unless the new members asks for them. Offering cookies is fine as long as you're not getting into arguments over newbies and taking over their threads, but do not attempt to solicit for any guild (including this one) in your posts unless they ask for suggestions of forum threads/activities etc. 

I very much appreciate the wanting to inform and help out new members of the forums! Please feel free to report if you think someone is going overboard, and mods will decide whether they are or not. ^_^ 

does this mean I can still offer a cookie?

On 3/24/2022 at 10:17 PM, AonEne said:

Feel free to contact the staff (that includes mods, not just admins, to be clear) regardless of who's acting. :)

Yeah, I didn't really think that through, but it's too late now as I came up with that nice acronym, so...

• 2 weeks later...