I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

SA2½ chapter 20: Lift is going back to Azir, and here I thought she'd go to Urithiru to meet up with the other characters. Final thoughts about the novella: I expected to learn more about Lift's past and why the Night Watcher didn't grant her request, and what she did grant and take (Lift's boon seems to be her a bility to touch the cognitive realm, touching spren and turning food into Stormlight, wich is very different than what she asked to gain - not aging - and what's her curse side of the deal?) The novella felt like a very long interlude! I'm just glad I saw more of Szeth. I still don't like Lift and Wyndle too much, but I guess they're okay. So I'm wondering what's up with the Heralds we've been seeing lately. Are they just now returning from somewhere, or have they been wandering around, half crazy, for centuries now? Hope we find out in book 3.

As a bonus for finishing ED, I'll tell you how my own writing is going. I just finished the 2nd draft of the script for the YouTube project I'm doing! Drawing and animation is next. 

Now it's time for Oathbringer!

21 minutes ago, Amira said:

I still don't like Lift and Wyndle too much, but I guess they're okay.

I absolutely love Lift and was so happy that Sanderson made that novella.  Also the Lift / Wyndle interaction is just too fun!  I love how the spren is basically the conservative parent and the radiant (surgebinder, whatever) is the rebellious child.  To each their own.  B)

23 minutes ago, Amira said:

Oathbringer is amazing IMO (tho I know this opinion is not universally shared).  You'll be happy you read LIft's story before Oathbringer for reals.

22 minutes ago, Amira said:

I expected to learn more about Lift's past and why the Night Watcher didn't grant her request, and what she did grant and take (Lift's boon seems to be her a bility to touch the cognitive realm, touching spren and turning food into Stormlight, wich is very different than what she asked to gain - not aging - and what's her curse side of the deal?)

Yeah, same here. Fortunately Lift's book is the 6th one, so it's coming soon-ish.

I like this one WoB about Lift, which points into the direction of why Lift is like she is. It's from Feb 2016, before the release of Edgedancer and Oathbringer, and in my opinion it points why, without giving spoilers or a clear answer. If you want:

Spoiler

Questioner

So in The Stormlight Archive series--

Brandon Sanderson

The Stormlight Archive? How old are you? *laughter* How old are you?

Questioner

Nine.

Brandon Sanderson

Nine?! You're reading The Stormlight Archive? You are awesome! *cheers*

Questioner

So the character Lift, for her powers, why does she have to eat food instead of sucking in--

Brandon Sanderson

So why does Lift have to eat food instead of sucking in Stormlight. So Lift is a really weird one, she visited the Old Magic and asked something very strange. And the Old Magic didn't know how to treat that and answered with something equally strange. So you will eventually see what happened with Lift and things like that but suffice it to say some really weird things are going on with Lift.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

34 minutes ago, Amira said:

I'm just glad I saw more of Szeth.

Szeth and Sleepless are the best parts of this book for me.

27 minutes ago, Amira said:

Glad to hear that :)

28 minutes ago, Amira said:

So I'm wondering what's up with the Heralds we've been seeing lately. Are they just now returning from somewhere, or have they been wandering around, half crazy, for centuries now? Hope we find out in book 3.

Well, maybe you will. But Prelude in WoK alone contains some informations about them: 

Spoiler

Jezrien walked back to the ring of swords. His own Blade formed in his hands, appearing from mist, wet with condensation. “It has been decided, Kalak. We will go our ways, and we will not seek out one another. Our Blades must be left. The Oathpact ends now.” He lifted his sword and rammed it into the stone with the other seven.

Jezrien hesitated, looking at the sword, then bowed his head and turned away. As if ashamed. “We chose this burden willingly. Well, we can choose to drop it if we wish.”

"What do we tell the people, Jezrien?” Kalak asked. “What will they say of this day?”

“It’s simple,” Jezrien said, walking away. “We tell them that they nally won. It’s an easy enough lie. Who knows? Maybe it will turn out to be true.”

Kalak watched Jezrien depart across the burned landscape. Finally, he summoned his own Blade and slammed it into the stone beside the other eight. He turned and walked in the direction opposite from Jezrien

35 minutes ago, Amira said:

Great, I can't wait already! 

On 4/23/2023 at 1:51 PM, Amira said:

SA2½ chapter 20: Lift is going back to Azir, and here I thought she'd go to Urithiru to meet up with the other characters.

She'll meet up with them, but like everything Lift - it won't be in the usual way.

Out of curiosity - as you begin Oathbringer - would you mind sharing your three top favorite and bottom three least favorite characters so far?

I expected to learn more about Lift's past and why the Night Watcher didn't grant her request, and what she did grant and take (Lift's boon seems to be her a bility to touch the cognitive realm, touching spren and turning food into Stormlight, which is very different than what she asked to gain - not aging - and what's her curse side of the deal?)

You'll start to get these answers around Oathbringer Ch 114.

The novella felt like a very long interlude! I'm just glad I saw more of Szeth.

As are we all, and you'll get more from him in Oathbringer (and not just in interludes).

So I'm wondering what's up with the Heralds we've been seeing lately. Are they just now returning from somewhere, or have they been wandering around, half crazy, for centuries now? Hope we find out in book 3.

You will also start getting these answers in Oathbringer.

As a bonus for finishing ED, I'll tell you how my own writing is going. I just finished the 2nd draft of the script for the YouTube project I'm doing! Drawing and animation is next.

Congrats. You'll have to keep us posted!

Edited by Treamayne

4 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2½ chapter 20: Lift is going back to Azir, and here I thought she'd go to Urithiru to meet up with the other characters. Final thoughts about the novella: I expected to learn more about Lift's past and why the Night Watcher didn't grant her request, and what she did grant and take (Lift's boon seems to be her a bility to touch the cognitive realm, touching spren and turning food into Stormlight, wich is very different than what she asked to gain - not aging - and what's her curse side of the deal?) The novella felt like a very long interlude! I'm just glad I saw more of Szeth. I still don't like Lift and Wyndle too much, but I guess they're okay. So I'm wondering what's up with the Heralds we've been seeing lately. Are they just now returning from somewhere, or have they been wandering around, half crazy, for centuries now? Hope we find out in book 3.

Oathbringer is my favorite of the stormlight archive! I agree with you Lift takes some getting use to... Im not a huge fan of her but she is a good balance with the other viewpoints.

I understand people not liking Lift.

I think you’ve said you don’t like Wit much either.

So I’m guessing that you just don’t like “sillier” characters in an otherwise serious series (you find the change of tone jarring maybe?)

But not liking Wyndle?

Thats just insane.

On 4/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, Amira said:

Oathbringer is my personal favorite.  I look forward to your take on it.

Oathbringer is also my favorite Stormlight Book with what I believe is the best climax. Slight bit of advice on the flashbacks.

Spoiler

Major trauma and war crimes are forthcoming.

This wounds me deeply, but everyone is allowed to like or dislike characters as they will. I love Lift so much..but it's possible she'll grow on you (haha pun) as you read OB, DS, and RoW. It's ok if you only ever think of her as ok. Wyndle is, well, Wyndle. I expect he has some growing to do himself (did it again, booya).

12 hours ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

This wounds me deeply, but everyone is allowed to like or dislike characters as they will. I love Lift so much..but it's possible she'll grow on you (haha pun) as you read OB, DS, and RoW. It's ok if you only ever think of her as ok. Wyndle is, well, Wyndle. I expect he has some growing to do himself (did it again, booya).

Johnny you remind me of me.   I think some people enjoy the serious side of characters, and some people like the weird.  Me, I lean to the weird.  It seems that you just might too. Not that I'm not serious sometimes.  Like that one time, ya know, then, yeah, that time... you didn't look :wub:

12 hours ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

32 minutes ago, Nogo said:

Johnny you remind me of me.   I think some people enjoy the serious side of characters, and some people like the weird.  Me, I lean to the weird.  It seems that you just might too. Not that I'm not serious sometimes.  Like that one time, ya know, then, yeah, that time... you didn't look :wub:

I think weird is one thing, and Lift is something else. Where some readers see "eccentric," others just see "annoying" (Lift Spoilers):

Spoiler

Especially before you learn that her childish mannerisms are part of her "I don't want to grow up" curse keeping her mentally more childish than her aging body would appear.

I'm like that with most main-stream humor - I dislike 95% of the movies with Adam Sandler, Will Farrell, etc. I don't find them funny at all - just annoying.

That said, didn't really dislike Lift when she was introduced in the interlude; and I liked her a bit more after reading Edgedancer. By the end of RoW my dislike has mostly faded, but she's still not in the upper range of favorite Rosharan characters either.

Full disclosure, Lift is still more mature than some of the people I'd met while in the military.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

17 hours ago, Nogo said:

I most definitely enjoy the silly side of characters. There are times when I can see why some readers get annoyed with the way characters speak and/or act, but that almost never bothers me...especially after rereads. Lift's goofiness can be irritating, if you miss how compassionate and empathetic she is. 

Many times, I have complained to myself about Kaladin and Shallan, because I know where they are going and I just want them to get there faster. They can become tedious and annoying. But, as I read them over and over, there are aspects to them as people that are revealed and/or my perceptions change.

That said, I certainly enjoy the strange and the weird, and I don't mind admitting it. 

17 hours ago, Treamayne said:

That said, didn't really dislike Lift when she was introduced in the interlude; and I liked her a bit more after reading Edgedancer. By the end of RoW my dislike has mostly faded, but she's still not in the upper range of favorite Rosharan characters either.

I felt a kinship with Lift, pretty much from the first time I "met" her. She does things and acts in ways that I did as a child. I was a weird kid, if you couldn't tell. And life has knocked some of that weirdness out of me through the years. So, seeing some of my former self in Lift, I was always biased towards liking her. And, I think it's important to admit biases when talking subjectively about characters, because they play a large part in why we like or dislike characters.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

That said, I certainly enjoy the strange and the weird, and I don't mind admitting it. 

Having known many military folks...that's an understatement :lol:

20 minutes ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

I felt a kinship with Lift, pretty much from the first time I "met" her. She does things and acts in ways that I did as a child. I was a weird kid, if you couldn't tell. And life has knocked some of that weirdness out of me through the years. So, seeing some of my former self in Lift, I was always biased towards liking her. And, I think it's important to admit biases when talking subjectively about characters, because they play a large part in why we like or dislike characters.

Having known many military folks...that's an understatement :lol:

An understatement indeed lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 5:41 PM, Treamayne said:

Out of curiosity - as you begin Oathbringer - would you mind sharing your three top favorite and bottom three least favorite characters so far?

Okay, top favorite definitely Szeth.
Number 2 Taravangian? Now that we know about the Diagram, I'm super interested. Yeah, my top two are villains, huh.
3rd favorite is Pattern.
Kaladin used to be #2 but I really like him less after WOR. Took him way too long to figure out that killing Elhokar was wrong.
Next up, 3 characters I dislike the most.
Sadeas!! Do dead characters count? I hated Sadeas.
I can't help but dislike Venli after what she did to the listeners.
I'm not sure this next one is fair, because I haven't met her, but I really dislike the Nightwatcher. Why does she give people boons and curses? Does she enjoy toying with them? She creeps me out.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:41 PM, Treamayne said:

Congrats. You'll have to keep us posted!

For sure!

On 4/23/2023 at 7:49 PM, Marabout said:

I understand people not liking Lift.

I think you’ve said you don’t like Wit much either.

So I’m guessing that you just don’t like “sillier” characters in an otherwise serious series (you find the change of tone jarring maybe?)

I don't think so, because I love the silliness in SP2 (was actually sorry to see some of it was stripped out between sample and publication). I just specifically don't like Lift and Hoid's brands of silliness. But I know Brandon can also write silliness I love, because I loved the Alcatraz series.

Stormlight 3, prologue:
LOL, loved the detail that Klade went to buy a slave just out of curiosity and ended up buying an Alethi. Except later it turns out to be Szeth?! (I guess Eshonai doesn't know the difference between Alethi and Shin, haha.) And whose voice whispered to him and led him to Szeth?! So many mysteries. Gosh, after hearing Gavilar, I'm not really sorry he's dead. His plan was to start a great war in order to unite his people against a common enemy? That's not very nice. He sounds like a villain.

8 hours ago, Amira said:

Stormlight 3, prologue:

LOL, loved the detail that Klade went to buy a slave just out of curiosity and ended up buying an Alethi. Except later it turns out to be Szeth?! (I guess Eshonai doesn't know the difference between Alethi and Shin, haha.) And whose voice whispered to him and led him to Szeth?! So many mysteries. Gosh, after hearing Gavilar, I'm not really sorry he's dead. His plan was to start a great war in order to unite his people against a common enemy? That's not very nice. He sounds like a villain.

well... everyone was trying to use the listeners for something. gavilar was. somebody else did it first. you'll learn more secrets in the final two prologues in book 4 and 5. at least now you know why they assassinated gavilar.

fun stuff, they could have feigned ignorance and claimed innocence and would have likely gotten away with it - who would really believe the primitives can send a shin assassin with a blade?

but they didn't because.... in stormlight 4

13 hours ago, Amira said:

Number 2 Taravangian? Now that we know about the Diagram, I'm super interested. Yeah, my top two are villains, huh.
3rd favorite is Pattern.
Kaladin used to be #2 but I really like him less after WOR. Took him way too long to figure out that killing Elhokar was wrong.
I'm not sure this next one is fair, because I haven't met her, but I really dislike the Nightwatcher. Why does she give people boons and curses? Does she enjoy toying with them? She creeps me out.

Thank you.

Sadeas definitely counts - at least I know I don't like him more dead than alive. It will be interesting to see how that list changes after Oathbringer.

Slight spoiler - anticipatory:

Spoiler

You'll see more Venli in Oathbringer and will also meet the Nightwatcher and learn why it's a boon and a curse.

I don't think so, because I love the silliness in SP2 (was actually sorry to see some of it was stripped out between sample and publication). I just specifically don't like Lift and Hoid's brands of silliness. But I know Brandon can also write silliness I love, because I loved the Alcatraz series.

Very different humor preferences. From my SP2 "reaction" post (spoiler free):

Spoiler

Two stars. Not as annoying as Alcatraz, much better than Princess Bride* (novel); not as good as other MG/YA Sanderson works.

I can see why others enjoyed this more than I do. I like the implications and the concept. Not a fan of the humor... But, since I also am not a fan of HGttG or the AvEL - it wasn't a surprise.

Stormlight 3, prologue:
LOL, loved the detail that Klade went to buy a slave just out of curiosity and ended up buying an Alethi. Except later it turns out to be Szeth?! (I guess Eshonai doesn't know the difference between Alethi and Shin, haha.) And whose voice whispered to him and led him to Szeth?! So many mysteries. Gosh, after hearing Gavilar, I'm not really sorry he's dead. His plan was to start a great war in order to unite his people against a common enemy?

Yeah, there was so much that happened that night - probably why Sanderson decided we needed to see it five times from five different viewpoints.

He sounds like a villain.

Shouldn't that make him part of your top three? <grin>

If you think he sounded bad here, (minor spoilers of tone, not content)

Spoiler

. . .wait until SA 4 Prologue:

It made me actively glad Szeth killed him. . .

Edited by Treamayne

11 hours ago, Amira said:

3rd favorite is Pattern.

Kaladin is not in the top 3? :o

But I like your appreciation for villains. I love good villains and SA has a few of them.

Yes, hating on Sadeas is always justified.

12 hours ago, Amira said:

Stormlight 3, prologue:

"He sounds like a villain." I really like how we uncover more and more of the event of Gavilar's assassination, and progressively we start to change our opinion on that. From a poor victim in WoK, through a king with secrets in WoR, to a "sounds like a villain" in OB, who wanted to bring back Listeners gods for Heralds to return to Roshar.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

SA5 Spoiler:

Spoiler

not to mention SA5 prologue...

We are both avoiding those spoilers (Amira in general, and I avoid all unpublished spoilers). You've already said too much (IMO).

Spoiler

I get that your comment wasn't a spoiler - technically. But it tells me that the SA 5 prologue might deepen my hated of Gavilar; and that, too, is a spoiler I didn't want to know. . .

which reminds me to fix my own post. Thank you.

Edited by Treamayne
Clarity

10 hours ago, Amira said:

Are the Parshendi gods all champions of Odium?? I loved the 9 shadows :)

Champions are something a bit different. As for the Nine Shadows (Unmade) you've already seen some (such as the "midnight essence" from Dalinar's Vision in WoK's ch 19) and seen references (such as the epigraphs in WoR Chs 34 and 81). You will learn more about them in this book.

10 hours ago, Amira said:

Ah, they found Sadeas. Good way to start the book.

Especially Palona's quote:

Spoiler

“Well!” said Palona, hands on hips as she regarded Sadeas’s corpse. “I guess that’s one problem solved!”

Everyone in the room turned toward her.

“What?” she said. “Don’t tell me you weren’t all thinking it.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 7:14 AM, Treamayne said:

(such as the "midnight essence" from Dalinar's Vision in WoK's ch 19)

Wait. Are there aethers in SA?

SA3, chapters 2-3: We see the contrast between present day Dalinar trying to unite everyone in peace and young Dalinar being a killing machine. I wonder if the Thrill is somehow the same as the listeners' rhythm of war. I can see why Dalinar and Sadeas used to get along. And as horrible a person as Dalinar was, it's fun to read about someone with a high level of skill at something. I liked how he decided to take on that archer after being impressed with his skill.

17 minutes ago, Amira said:

Dalinar trying to unite everyone in peace and young Dalinar being a killing machine. I wonder if the Thrill is somehow the same as the listeners' rhythm of war. 

You will get these answers this book. (also, you are seeing why his nickname was The Blackthorn)

17 minutes ago, Amira said:

Wait. Are there aethers in SA?

TotES Spoilers

Spoiler

There are theorized to be connections between Midnight Aether and Midnight Essence. There are definite similarities (as you will see in Part 1 of Oathbringer) but there are also distinct differences.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG