I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

5 hours ago, Amira said:

SA3, chapters 2-3: We see the contrast between present day Dalinar trying to unite everyone in peace and young Dalinar being a killing machine. I wonder if the Thrill is somehow the same as the listeners' rhythm of war. I can see why Dalinar and Sadeas used to get along. And as horrible a person as Dalinar was, it's fun to read about someone with a high level of skill at something. I liked how he decided to take on that archer after being impressed with his skill.

I absolutely LOVE the Dalinar flashbacks in OB.  He reminds me of my young days being a soldier and just doing the job regardless of the humanity involved.  And yes, his recruitment of Teleb is very meaningful IMO.  It shows that he has honor even then... but an honor based on perspective.  But he's also ruthless which kind of puts a black mark *giggles* on that. 

Keep enjoying Oathbringer.  It is my personal favorite SA book (though Way of Kings is a very VERY close 2nd).

13 hours ago, Amira said:

Wait. Are there aethers in SA?

SA3, chapters 2-3: We see the contrast between present day Dalinar trying to unite everyone in peace and young Dalinar being a killing machine. I wonder if the Thrill is somehow the same as the listeners' rhythm of war. I can see why Dalinar and Sadeas used to get along. And as horrible a person as Dalinar was, it's fun to read about someone with a high level of skill at something. I liked how he decided to take on that archer after being impressed with his skill.

For the archer bit, Brandon was inspired by a story of Genghis Khan doing something similar. Keep in mind that the Alethi were largely based on the Mongols.

Sorry I'm just catching up!

On 3/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, Amira said:

Anyway, the name Jasnah Kholin looks familiar, but I can't remember where it was mentioned last...

Szeth wondered where "Jasnah, the king's daughter" was after he saw "Dalinar Kholin--the king's own brother--who slumped drunken at a small table."

On 4/1/2022 at 7:56 PM, Amira said:

Crap, I'm reading it on kindle. Harder to flip back.

Nah, I find it even easier because there's a search function and the table of contents has hyperlinks.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:24 PM, Amira said:

Once again Szeth falters and I have to wonder if his lack of free will is magical or not. I really hope it is. I don't want to lose my favorite character. I don't want to find out he's stupid enough to believe he has to murder all those people when really he doesn't.

Indoctrinated doesn't have to mean stupid. Not to bring the religious discussion back up, but did you grow up religious and then reject it or were you raised atheist? I grew up with a very devout Catholic father and found Szeth's indoctrination very relatable.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:08 PM, king of nowhere said:

it can get even more strange; a transsexual character (a very minor one, only appears in a couple chapters) changes sex by tapping healing - without meaning to, completely by accident - because deep down she always felt her original body was wrong, and it should have been different.

I don't remember this and feel like I should. I assume by "tapping healing" it's a Scadrial story. Could you refresh my memory please?

On 4/5/2023 at 9:26 PM, Treamayne said:

Well, by the time you saw her for the first time she and Wyndle had been together much longer than Syl and Kaladin. We just never saw them interacting in the stage in which Wyndle had not yet recovered his mind and memories.

Actually, I think Wyndle mentions that he wasn't nearly as mindless as Syl and Pattern were. Something about "The transition to your realm wasn't easy, even with the precautions we took."

11 minutes ago, Jn819 said:

I don't remember this and feel like I should. I assume by "tapping healing" it's a Scadrial story. Could you refresh my memory please?

Spoiler

A brief mention in Dawnshard/Rhythm of War/Oathbringer or around there. A mention of a Reshi king who suddenly became Queen - the same from the time Rysn went to the Reshi islands, I think.

I may have mistaken somewhere in here, though.

6 hours ago, Jn819 said:

Sorry I'm just catching up!

Szeth wondered where "Jasnah, the king's daughter" was after he saw "Dalinar Kholin--the king's own brother--who slumped drunken at a small table."

Nah, I find it even easier because there's a search function and the table of contents has hyperlinks.

Indoctrinated doesn't have to mean stupid. Not to bring the religious discussion back up, but did you grow up religious and then reject it or were you raised atheist? I grew up with a very devout Catholic father and found Szeth's indoctrination very relatable.

Please don't go back a year on your quotes and responses unless there is a specific unanswered item that needs to be addressed - all of these items you quoted to respond to were addressed within a page of the quote you reference. 

6 hours ago, Jn819 said:

The character in question first appeared in WoR Interlude 3. Dawnshard Spoiler:

Spoiler

Tapped healing was just that person's slang - In Dawnshard Ch 3 you find out that the Reshi King has changed genders since bonding an Ashspren and becoming a non-Diagram aligned Dustbringer

6 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

A mention of a Reshi king who suddenly became Queen

Other way around - the Reshi King was shown to be assigned female at birth and identify as male in WoR (and Talik's bio-dad is known as the "Kings Consort") - he has healed transgender by the time of Dawnshard. 

6 hours ago, Jn819 said:

Well, by the time you saw her for the first time she and Wyndle had been together much longer than Syl and Kaladin. We just never saw them interacting in the stage in which Wyndle had not yet recovered his mind and memories.

Actually, I think Wyndle mentions that he wasn't nearly as mindless as Syl and Pattern were. Something about "The transition to your realm wasn't easy, even with the precautions we took."

Bolded section is why I said what I said - Wyndel also experienced a mindless phase (all sapient spren do, as part of the bonding transition), we simply didn't see that portion of their developement (which likely passed quickly). 

Edited by Treamayne
quote TA

20 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:
  Hide contents

A brief mention in Dawnshard/Rhythm of War/Oathbringer or around there. A mention of a Reshi king who suddenly became Queen - the same from the time Rysn went to the Reshi islands, I think.

I may have mistaken somewhere in here, though.

I think that's a misunderstanding actually. WoR I-4:

Spoiler

Rysn looked toward the robed figure. The robes were tied with the front open enough to show that the "king" definitely had breasts.

"We are led by a king," the newcomer said. "Gender is irrelevant."

It seemed to Rysn that gender was part of the definition, but it wasn't worth arguing over.

OB search of "Reshi" came up with

Spoiler

mostly references to Lift or their lack of an Oathgate etc. but no mention of a Reshi king

Dawnshard:

Spoiler

18 results, mostly Talik

Page 39, here it is:

"Before you take me down," Talik said, "I have a...somewhat delicate question for you. Our king, who is one of my parents, has undergone some unusual physical changes lately. They have transformed him in dramatic ways, and at first we thought it was a gift of our god, as he was not born looking as he does now. We now realize this transformation is in relation to a spren he has been seeing. It is why he agreed to make this long trip."

"Your king is Radiant!" Lopen said.

RoW:

Spoiler

only 6 results, again Lift or other relevant mentions but no king

I guess I could've missed something? Doesn't seem like it though.

Edit: yes I did. See Dawnshard spoiler.

Edited by Jn819
I missed something

5 minutes ago, Jn819 said:

I think that's a misunderstanding actually. WoR I-4:

No, it's not, Dawnshard spoilers:

Spoiler

While a king of an Reshi island can be both male and female and still be called a king, Ral-na, a king who met with Rysn, was a woman when Rysn met him, but after bonding with a spren he healed to a man's body. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ral-na  WoBs:

Spoiler

Headpat_Thot

The Reshi King from Rysn's interlude is probably trans. This statement is based on a few points

1: Everybody but Rysn (who's whole thing is that she's extremely green and unaware of the world) uses He/Him pronouns to refer to the reshi king.

2: When Rysn first meets the king, She genders him as a man, until she notices that he has breasts. This suggests that he has taken measures to present more masculine.

3: When Rysn refuses to call the king "king" his son loses his temper and tries to send her away. Up until then, he had been firm, but that was the point where he outright tells her to leave.

There is one line in the text where The king's son says "gender is irrelevant" in response to a question Rysn has about the king's gender.

I will say that this was written before the Author stopped using Gender and Sex interchangeably according to the WoB database.

Beyond that, I doubt the language they were speaking (thaylen) would have a robust understanding of sex and gender.

Credar

/u/mistborn was this your intention with the scene if you can confirm it? Or was it more the Egyptian style Hatshepsut-like others are mentioning?

Brandon Sanderson

I love Hatshepsut as an interesting quirk of history, and have long thought about ways to incorporate something similar. I did have that partially in mind when I was writing this, but more in the way that the culture was trying to understand him, rather than his own view of himself.

The king sees himself as male, and wishes to be treated that way--not just in title. In fact, in the coming months, you will see this character again briefly in some scenes I've already written, if you keep an eye out.

Jacky_Ragnarovna

ooh are we going back to the Reshi Isles? Will we get a beach episode?

Brandon Sanderson

Ha. RAFO. :)

General Reddit 2020 (Aug. 12, 2020)

Spoiler

pelolep

So the Reshi King canonically trans, right? I was hoping so when he was first mentioned, and I know it's been asked before if a trans Radiant would "heal" towards their true gender.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. And this is what happened.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

It would be great if we could not quote and go into discussions about events happening in books that were not read by Amira yet. The best way to quickly verify information is by looking at https://coppermind.net/wiki/ first.

51 minutes ago, alder24 said:

No, it's not, Dawnshard spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

While a king of an Reshi island can be both male and female and still be called a king, Ral-na, a king who met with Rysn, was a woman when Rysn met him, but after bonding with a spren he healed to a man's body. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ral-na  WoBs:

Reveal hidden contents

Headpat_Thot

The Reshi King from Rysn's interlude is probably trans. This statement is based on a few points

1: Everybody but Rysn (who's whole thing is that she's extremely green and unaware of the world) uses He/Him pronouns to refer to the reshi king.

2: When Rysn first meets the king, She genders him as a man, until she notices that he has breasts. This suggests that he has taken measures to present more masculine.

3: When Rysn refuses to call the king "king" his son loses his temper and tries to send her away. Up until then, he had been firm, but that was the point where he outright tells her to leave.

There is one line in the text where The king's son says "gender is irrelevant" in response to a question Rysn has about the king's gender.

I will say that this was written before the Author stopped using Gender and Sex interchangeably according to the WoB database.

Beyond that, I doubt the language they were speaking (thaylen) would have a robust understanding of sex and gender.

Credar

/u/mistborn was this your intention with the scene if you can confirm it? Or was it more the Egyptian style Hatshepsut-like others are mentioning?

Brandon Sanderson

I love Hatshepsut as an interesting quirk of history, and have long thought about ways to incorporate something similar. I did have that partially in mind when I was writing this, but more in the way that the culture was trying to understand him, rather than his own view of himself.

The king sees himself as male, and wishes to be treated that way--not just in title. In fact, in the coming months, you will see this character again briefly in some scenes I've already written, if you keep an eye out.

Jacky_Ragnarovna

ooh are we going back to the Reshi Isles? Will we get a beach episode?

Brandon Sanderson

Ha. RAFO. :)

General Reddit 2020 (Aug. 12, 2020)

Reveal hidden contents

pelolep

So the Reshi King canonically trans, right? I was hoping so when he was first mentioned, and I know it's been asked before if a trans Radiant would "heal" towards their true gender.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. And this is what happened.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

It would be great if we could not quote and go into discussions about events happening in books that were not read by Amira yet. The best way to quickly verify information is by looking at https://coppermind.net/wiki/ first.

You probably loaded the page right before I edited my post, then took about five minutes to reply, based on timestamps.

On 5/21/2023 at 3:43 PM, alder24 said:

It would be great if we could not quote and go into discussions about events happening in books that were not read by Amira yet.

Oh. I thought that was part of the fun, my reactions bringing up discussions about what happens later that I can't look at yet and get to be curious about.

SA3, chapter 4: Yay, I'm so glad Dalinar told Navani that he can't remember his wife! Also very glad he married her, even though he's getting into a lot of trouble with the church! Yay, next chapter is about Kaladin, finally! I really want to hear about him going home to his parents.

SA3, chapter 5: Ugh, barely anything happened! Most of the chapter was Kaladin walking toward Hearthstone and then finding the destruction. I feel like I got no answers! It sucks that he missed the storm, though. I hope his parents survived. I want to see his meeting them again, or at least someone he knew from his childhood. Even Roshone would be interesting...

Edit: chapter 6: Yaaas, this is exactly what I'm talking about!! Great chapter, and then Kaladin punched Roshone in the face, go Kaladin!

Edited by Amira

On 5/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, Amira said:

Oh. I thought that was part of the fun, my reactions bringing up discussions about what happens later that I can't look at yet and get to be curious about.

SA3, chapter 4: Yay, I'm so glad Dalinar told Navani that he can't remember his wife! Also very glad he married her, even though he's getting into a lot of trouble with the church! Yay, next chapter is about Kaladin, finally! I really want to hear about him going home to his parents.

I loved A. That the Stormfather was totally on board 

and B.  It was a very simple short ceremony.

6 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

I thought you would like that part. Here's looking forward to Ch 7. . .

Your wish is my command...

SA3, chapter 7: Very nice chapter. Summons Shardblade: "Any other questions?" Lol, that was great. And then at the end he showed them how he's a Radiant. I really like how now finally Kaladin is no longer trying to hide his surgebinding and Shardblade. It's so much more fun to have him awe people with them. And Kaladin contacting Dalinar via spanreed was way more fun than Lift contacting what's his name imo. Ah, characters in stories always return home so powerful, and all the old problems they had seem so silly and irrelevant. In real life, I feel like becoming an adult only broke me. What would I give to be powerful for once like Kaladin and those other characters in stories... Also: Kaladin's parents had another kid! So cute!

Edited by Amira

1 hour ago, Amira said:

SA3, chapter 7: Very nice chapter. Summons Shardblade: "Any other questions?" Lol, that was great. And then at the end he showed them how he's a Radiant. I really like how now finally Kaladin is no longer trying to hide his surgebinding and Shardblade. It's so much more fun to have him awe people with them. And Kaladin contacting Dalinar via spanreed was way more fun than Lift contacting what's his name imo. Ah, characters in stories always return home so powerful, and all the old problems they had seem so silly and irrelevant.

Also: Kaladin's parents had another kid! So cute!

Yeah, it's a bit of a change. Not to mention Laral. . .

And that departure, showing his Radiance. Minor Spoilers (ish)

Spoiler

Too bad that was the easy part

Looking forward to Ch 31.

In real life, I feel like becoming an adult only broke me. What would I give to be powerful for once like Kaladin and those other characters in stories...

Speaking of - how is the job search going? Anything we can do to help?

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

I liked that the "bavarian fire drill" only worked so far. by being commanding and assertive you can sometimes impress people, but there are limits.

i also liked laral. not only because she turned out a competent leader, but because she's probably a better representation of ancient noblewomen. we tend to think of political marriages as a terrible violence, especially for a girl who had to marry someone thrice her age, and it certainly would be for one of us. but back then, it was just a part of life - and an important social obligation necessary for society to function. a bit like working - you'd rather not do it, but society needs someone to, and you've got to earn a living anyway.

14 hours ago, Amira said:

SA3, chapter 5: Ugh, barely anything happened! Most of the chapter was Kaladin walking toward Hearthstone and then finding the destruction. I feel like I got no answers! It sucks that he missed the storm, though. I hope his parents survived. I want to see his meeting them again, or at least someone he knew from his childhood. Even Roshone would be interesting...

Edit: chapter 6: Yaaas, this is exactly what I'm talking about!! Great chapter, and then Kaladin punched Roshone in the face, go Kaladin!

Finally your reaction to those chapters, I've been waiting for that :D 

I think chapter 5 and its mood is necessary to hit you positively with chapter 6. It wouldn't work that well without the 5th one. 

Khem khem, what about "I will protect even those I hate"? (Roshone still deserved it)

12 hours ago, Amira said:

SA3, chapter 7: Very nice chapter. Summons Shardblade: "Any other questions?" Lol, that was great. And then at the end he showed them how he's a Radiant. I really like how now finally Kaladin is no longer trying to hide his surgebinding and Shardblade. It's so much more fun to have him awe people with them. And Kaladin contacting Dalinar via spanreed was way more fun than Lift contacting what's his name imo. Ah, characters in stories always return home so powerful, and all the old problems they had seem so silly and irrelevant. In real life, I feel like becoming an adult only broke me. What would I give to be powerful for once like Kaladin and those other characters in stories... Also: Kaladin's parents had another kid! So cute!

It's a high time for Kaladin to stop hiding. Kaladin reuniting with his parents was just perfect. Laral made a great impression on me, she was a real leader in the town and she showed how much she changed and developed through the years. But also Roshone changed too, a bit and for better. It was really good to see Kaladin putting into perspective their past conflict and focusing together on the future.

Storms, you made me reread those chapters again. They're one of my favorites from OB.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:01 PM, Treamayne said:

Looking forward to Ch 31.

31, huh? That's a ways off.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:01 PM, Treamayne said:

Speaking of - how is the job search going? Anything we can do to help?

I'll reply inside a box because it's off topic:

Spoiler

I decided to take 3 months off to try and chase my dreams of making a living from my stories before I start searching for another job like the one I had. I've been working hard on the fantasy show I'm making for YouTube, and today I finished the animation! Next up is voicing. I know it usually takes a long time to make money from YouTube, but at the moment I'm just trying to move the process along, and so far that's working. I don't expect this to be a one and done thing.
It's so nice of you to offer to help! Um, I guess if you want you could subscribe to the channel even though I haven't uploaded any videos yet?:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/@Amira_Ke
Alternately, if you know anyone in my area (Batavia NY) with a male voice who wants to help me do voicing, since my friend who's helping with that is super busy?:lol:
I'll let you know when I'm actually applying for jobs, haha.

SA3, chapter 8: I liked how Dalinar suggested they ask Pattern for advice. I also like seeing Dalinar make progress on his goal of uniting/helping the world. I want to see both Renarin and Dalinar surgebind. We haven't really seen anything from them yet. Another murder? Oh no, is this someone from Sadeas' camp claiming a blood price for the murder of their highprince? Has Adolin started a horrid chain of murders??

3 hours ago, Amira said:

Oh no, is this someone from Sadeas' camp claiming a blood price for the murder of their highprince? Has Adolin started a horrid chain of murders??

Unfortunately, it's nothing that warm and fuzzy.

3 hours ago, Amira said:

That's a ways off.

IIRC, It's Kal's next BDH moment

OT:

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Amira said:

if you know anyone in my area

Sorry. But maybe somebody on the forum will be able to help or "know a guy." Hope the dream takes off for you; but if you get to working on resumes or whatnot and need any assistance, please let us know. 

Edited by Treamayne
Link

1 hour ago, The Stick said:

I love watching somebody read Oathbringer the first time. It is so interesting to see a fresh reaction. Rest assured you will find out eventually ( probably several hundred pages, I forget)

Well, Amira will find out in the next chapter that it's not exactly what you'd expect. And you get hints and leads and such pretty soon. It does take a lot of work for the Radiants to figure out what's going on, though.

22 hours ago, The Stick said:

I love watching somebody read Oathbringer the first time. It is so interesting to see a fresh reaction.

Thank you :D

SA3, chapter 9: WTF? Okay, guessing time:
Option 1: This man is another Lightweaver. He disguised himself as Sadeas, and Adolin killed him, thinking he was killing Sadeas. This is the same corpse.
Option 2: This man is in fact Sadeas, and someone did a Lightweaving on him to make him look like this other man. It's the same corpse.
Option 3: Someone is trying to take credit for the murder of Sadeas, by murdering this other person in the same manner.
Option 4: Someone wanted this guy dead and decided to do it and pin it on Sadeas' murderer.
Option 5 (most likely): Some other explanation I haven't thought of.
Yikes, Adolin will have to fess up to his dad at some point!
Wondering what Renarin's powers are. Can he detect that it's Adolin who killed Sadeas? Something is up with Renarin...

10 minutes ago, Amira said:

Option 1: This man is another Lightweaver. He disguised himself as Sadeas, and Adolin killed him, thinking he was killing Sadeas. This is the same corpse.
Option 2: This man is in fact Sadeas, and someone did a Lightweaving on him to make him look like this other man. It's the same corpse.
Option 3: Someone is trying to take credit for the murder of Sadeas, by murdering this other person in the same manner.
Option 4: Someone wanted this guy dead and decided to do it and pin it on Sadeas' murderer.
Wondering what Renarin's powers are. Can he detect that it's Adolin who killed Sadeas? Something is up with Renarin...

Mmmmmm, yeeees, such tasty theorizing :D I love it! Read and find out! ;) 

4 hours ago, Amira said:

Yes. One of those.

Probably, but "at some point" is quite a big window.

Quite possibly more than one something. But if you are specifically referencing his interactions with Adolin, consider what you know of his personality so far. If you are referencing what I think you are, you should get this answer soon.

On 6/1/2023 at 7:53 PM, Treamayne said:

Yes. One of those.

Listen here. One of the options I listed was basically "anything else," so it can't very well not be "one of those":P

SA3, chapter 10: Kaladin finally found a village attacked by Voidbringers, and discovered that the Voidbringers are heading toward Kholinar, so he's headed there now. I wonder if he's going to meet Elhokar's horrid wife and discover why she hasn't been responding to spanreeds. Should be a lot of drama, so I kinda look forward to that. Also, Kaladin seems to have become a celebrity, which I find kinda cool - it also makes a lot of sense, seeing as, you know, he can fly. Next up we see Adolin visiting Gallant, and Renarin stops by. Renarin can heal other people! Kaladin will approve of this (or maybe be jealous). Renarin is also being super insecure, I feel bad for him. I hope he finds a place where he feels he belongs soon. Do we get to meet his spren at some point?

This topic has 32 followers, so I'm going to abuse my power:

Spoiler

Check out episode 1 of my animated fantasy show on YouTube!
https://youtu.be/ilvaXUgTDDw
Let me know if you think I'm a good storyteller :)