I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

On 3/12/2023 at 8:55 PM, Treamayne said:

Since you are doubling Tress with Edgedancer, are there any other Cosmere works you plan to read before Rhythm of War?

For now just the kickstarter ones as they come out.

On 3/12/2023 at 8:55 PM, Treamayne said:

Can she?

Wait, she can't use Stormlight? I sorta just assumed that all surgebinders could...

On 3/13/2023 at 9:21 PM, Marabout said:

She’s not running away from home, she’s not looking for pancakes, she’s deliberately hunting Darkness because she knows he’s hunting somebody like her.

Yeah, I just wish she stopped lying to Wyndle and just gave him straight answers.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:54 AM, Valinor Spren said:

This is easily one of my favorite threads in this forum at this point. So much fun to see someone's first reactions to the cosmere!

Aw, thank you so much!!

SA2½ chapter 8: Ooh, Lift finds a building with other people dressed like Darkness! Is this his headquarters? Also, three kinds of pancakes, yum, I want to eat them too: salty, sweet, and fluffy. I wonder if that girl Darkness killed was also a surgebinder, or if he also doesn't mind just randomly killing regular humans, I guess just for kicks? I liked how Lift used the opportunity to snag some fruit knowing the shopkeeper wouldn't stop her right after witnessing the other thief get killed.

43 minutes ago, Amira said:

Wait, she can't use Stormlight? I sorta just assumed that all surgebinders could...

I'm not saying she can't use Stormlight - merely pointing out that Lift is "different" in a number of ways and it is safest not to assume any normal rule will apply (or apply in the same way).

SA2½ chapter 8: Ooh, Lift finds a building with other people dressed like Darkness! Is this his headquarters?

BOLO for other known character(s) here.

I wonder if that girl Darkness killed was also a surgebinder, or if he also doesn't mind just randomly killing regular humans, I guess just for kicks?

Slight Spoiler - don't peak until you know Darkness' name

Spoiler

Darkness a.k.a. Nalan a.k.a. Nale is a Herald, and in the millennia since the Prologue at the beginning of Way of Kings they have all gone quite mad - in subtly different ways (such as the one you saw in a Way of Kings interlude destroying statues of herself).

By this time, Nale has become so emotionally dead that he's essentially the quintessential Javert - meting out the law with no mercy or restraint. As he mentioned in the story:

As for the thief, she would have enjoyed imprisonment for her theft. The punishment prescribed for assaulting an officer with a bladed weapon, however, is death.

He was fine ignoring her assaults (thrown food, bitten hand), until she broke a new law - one that in that city had no provisions for the age of the accused or the circumstances of the action.

You will see "consequences" for him as this continues.

So, no, it wasn't "just for kicks."

11 hours ago, Amira said:

I wonder if that girl Darkness killed was also a surgebinder, or if he also doesn't mind just randomly killing regular humans, I guess just for kicks?

She wasn't a Surgebinder. That girl was a thief and she tried to assault Darkness with a deadly weapon. Which for him is enough to kill her. Not because he was a target, but because of the law, which punishes assault with a weapon on law enforcement officers with death. That's why he killed her. He is emotionlessly obsessed with following the law to the letter. You should know who he really is by now. 

Did you catch Wyndle's words that Darkness also has a spren?

Edited by alder24

14 hours ago, Amira said:

you may notice that she gets her power from food, while she never did draw light from spheres like the other radiants.

the exact mechanics of why she is different are a bit complicated. iirc they are better mentioned in the 4th book.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:53 AM, alder24 said:

You should know who he really is by now.

SA2½ chapter 9: Darkness is a herald?! Not sure why you thought I should know this before this chapter where it was revealed. I had no idea, so if there were hints, I completely missed them. Yay Szeth!!!! I like that Szeth argued with Darkness. I continue to like him. I hope we hear lots more about him.

By the way, I finished Tress! So now I've read 3 complete cosmere books.

3 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2½ chapter 9: Darkness is a herald?! Not sure why you thought I should know this before this chapter where it was revealed. I had no idea, so if there were hints, I completely missed them. Yay Szeth!!!! I like that Szeth argued with Darkness. I continue to like him. I hope we hear lots more about him.

That's the same man that gave Szeth the Black Sword at the end of WoR, ch 88:

A man stood before him, wearing a crisp black and silver uniform. He had dark brown skin like a man from the Makabaki region, but had a pale mark on his right cheek in the shape of a small hooked crescent. He held one hand behind his back, while his other hand tucked something away into his coat pocket. A fabrial of some sort? Glowing brightly?
“I recognize you,” Szeth realized. “I’ve seen you somewhere before.”
“You have.”

[...]

That crescent . . . He recognized it, didn’t he?
“You, Szeth,” the man said, “worship order, do you not? You follow the laws of your society to perfection. This attracted me, though I worry that emotion has clouded your ability to discern. Your ability to . . . judge.”
Judgment.
“Nin,” he whispered. “The one they call Nalan, or Nale, here. Herald of Justice.”
Nin nodded.

And you yourself recognised that was the same man who hunted Lift:

On 27.01.2023 at 1:43 AM, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 88: After all of Shallan's efforts to infiltrate the Ghostbloods, they figured her out. Shallan killed her mother too?! Or was it really Pattern, appearing in her hand to save her? Finally we see the man who hunted Lift resurrecting Szeth/saving Szeth from the brink of death. So... was Szeth just given a spren sword?

So you didn't miss any hints, you just forgot them.

3 minutes ago, Amira said:

By the way, I finished Tress! So now I've read 3 complete cosmere books.

Congrats! Yesterday I finished my fresh copy of Tress and I'm still in awe. Did you enjoy it (just without any spoilers here)?

On 3/25/2023 at 4:54 PM, alder24 said:

That's the same man that gave Szeth the Black Sword at the end of WoR, ch 88:

And you yourself recognised that was the same man who hunted Lift:

So you didn't miss any hints, you just forgot them.

Congrats! Yesterday I finished my fresh copy of Tress and I'm still in awe. Did you enjoy it (just without any spoilers here)?

I remembered that Darkness saved Szeth after his battle with Kaladin and recruited him, but I completely forgot that it was revealed back then that he was a herald. Oh well.

Tress was nice. My favorite part was probably the final illustration :) Back when the samples were revealed, SP1 was my 3rd favorite, and I have a feeling things will stay that way after I read all four books.

SA2½ chapter 10: Lift trying to figure out the purpose of her life, and meanwhile I'm here knowing exactly what I want to do but having no idea how to accomplish it... I'm curious to hear more about the Nightwatcher and it it can be that everyone gets what they request from her but Lift didn't (maybe Lift was given a different meaning of her words than what she'd meant to request?)

12 minutes ago, Amira said:

I'm curious to hear more about the Nightwatcher and it it can be that everyone gets what they request from her but Lift didn't (maybe Lift was given a different meaning of her words than what she'd meant to request?)

Lift is a special case... I'm afraid saying more could be spoiler.
there are a few other special cases. You may already be aware of them, or maybe not; I don't remember exactly if a casual reader was supposed to know it by the end of words of radiance. But by the end of oathbringer, you'll know the other special cases for sure.

2 hours ago, Amira said:

I'm curious to hear more about the Nightwatcher

For good or ill (hooray, next book - boooh, so late in the book) you'll get at least some of these answers in Oathbringer Ch 114.

Suffice it to say if you look at Nightwatcher "stories" (such as WoK Interlude 7) you will notice some things don't always add up.

2 hours ago, Amira said:

Tress was nice. My favorite part was probably the final illustration :) Back when the samples were revealed, SP1 was my 3rd favorite, and I have a feeling things will stay that way after I read all four books.

It doesn;t seem like you have posted anything in the "Tress only - no spoilers" forum. I know you read with a group, but are there any lingering questions or thoughts from TotEI that we might help (or at least let you know references)?

(Speaking of which, did you know you got a (Tress Spoilers at link) Mention Here)

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG/Clarity

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

(Speaking of which, did you know you got a (Tress Spoilers at link) Mention Here)

Umm... Yeah, about that...

Sorry, Amira! I should probably have asked/tagged you when I did that - it's just the memes I've sent in the reading group. You're mentioned in one of them.

Thanks, Tramayne. I just thought at first I should've tagged her... and then I didn't... and now she hears I've published it here... It kind of feels wrong.

Anyway, sorry for digressing, but... Why am I getting upvotes for this comment? I was just apologising and explaining stuff. That doesn't seem very upvote worthy.

To return to the topic, though: I'm not sure that the "special cases" are explicitly stated in the books. But that's going to get into spoilers, so anyway - you'll see some extraordinary things about Lift, even for a Radiant. If you pay attention you'll notice them - here and in Oathbringer.

39 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Anyway, sorry for digressing, but... Why am I getting upvotes for this comment? I was just apologising and explaining stuff. That doesn't seem very upvote worthy.

That's very worthy! 

Spoiler

642330998f191_givethismanupvote.jpg.93c2edca87ecea2d9502ac98675de6ec.jpg

Edited by alder24

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

That's very worthy! 

Reveal hidden contents

642330998f191_givethismanupvote.jpg.93c2edca87ecea2d9502ac98675de6ec.jpg

I am torn between being flattered and enjoying the meme, getting annoyed and writing a comment about starting a mock upvotes war, and shutting up to not digress the thread. So, to resolve it I'd say: if anyone has any wish to continue it (which is obviously just me), we should probably go to another topic. Like Sharder Memes, maybe.

Also, sorry for digressing. Again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 9:11 PM, Treamayne said:

It doesn;t seem like you have posted anything in the "Tress only - no spoilers" forum. I know you read with a group, but are there any lingering questions or thoughts from TotEI that we might help (or at least let you know references)?

Haha, yeah, I called it after reading chapters 29-30 iirc. Don't worry about it @Trutharchivist, I'm honored to be worthy of memes.

There were definitely many cosmere references in that book. I guess one that caught my attention was (Tress):

Spoiler

Hoid being indestructible? Did we already know that? If so, in which book do you find this out?

SA2½ chapter 11: Kaladin and Shallan had to do so much guessing and it took Syl and Pattern a while to really be able to talk and remember what bonding was about... and meanwhile Lift is already at the stage when her spren can guide her along, yet she refuses to listen... I'm wondering if I'll ever start liking her character. Anyway, I wonder what Lift wants with these archives? To burn them down? To find information about surgebinders and destroy it before Darkness' group can find it? To find something she can trade? (Knowing her, probably not that last one...)

On 4/5/2023 at 8:51 PM, Amira said:

Tress:

Reveal hidden contents

Hoid being indestructible? Did we already know that? If so, in which book do you find this out?

There have been hints here and there, but the biggest one was in the Words of Radiance Epilogue (it's easy to miss because it hides so well in Wit's gibes):

Spoiler

“Tell me what you know, Wit.”

“I once spent the better part of a year inside of a large stomach, being digested.”

She frowned at him.

“That is a thing that I know. You really should be more specific in your threats.” He looked down as she twisted her Shardblade, rotating the tip, still pointed at him. “I’d be surprised if that little knife of yours poses me any real threat, Kholin. You can keep waving it about if you want, though. Perhaps it makes you feel more important.”

She studied him. Then the sword burst to mist, vaporizing. 

SA2½ chapter 11: Kaladin and Shallan had to do so much guessing and it took Syl and Pattern a while to really be able to talk and remember what bonding was about... and meanwhile Lift is already at the stage when her spren can guide her along, yet she refuses to listen... I'm wondering if I'll ever start liking her character.

Well, by the time you saw her for the first time she and Wyndle had been together much longer than Syl and Kaladin. We just never saw them interacting in the stage in which Wyndle had not yet recovered his mind and memories. But don't worry, not everybody likes Lift (I didn't before RoW and she's still kinda middle-of-the-pack for me on the list of Favorite Rosharans.) and not every character is for everybody (I started to really dislike a main character in Oathbringer, for example).

I did, however, think it was cool once I realized why she is the way she is (no matter how much she annoyed me). At least she's still a side character so far.

Anyway, I wonder what Lift wants with these archives? To burn them down? To find information about surgebinders and destroy it before Darkness' group can find it? To find something she can trade? (Knowing her, probably not that last one...)

What a fun ride it will be to find out once she's there.

Edited by Treamayne

Yeah Lift is fine, she grows on you as she progresses in her own personal growth. She is definitely annoying at first, I agree, the first half of Edgedancer was tough to get through for me on my initial read as well. I think Lift is an excellent character, but as far as favorites go she wouldn't be in my top 10. Wyndle might be though!

20 hours ago, Ninth of the Night said:

Yeah Lift is fine, she grows on you as she progresses in her own personal growth. She is definitely annoying at first, I agree, the first half of Edgedancer was tough to get through for me on my initial read as well. I think Lift is an excellent character, but as far as favorites go she wouldn't be in my top 10. Wyndle might be though!

Lift is probably a good example of what would actually happen if a child was suddenly granted magical powers in a medieval world.

Plus I'm a very cynical person so Lift's outlook on life appeals to me.

SA2½ chapter 12: Lift wants Wyndle to read every single entry in the archive. Of course it turned out to be something ridiculous like that. But now she has a new plan, which sounds more fun (something about stealing fancy clothes to pretend she's a rich person). I'm looking forward to it. Meanwhile, we hear that Lift has met Hoid and it goes back to that part about him spending "the better part of a year inside of a large stomach". So of course Lift thinks he's dead. Maybe he'll make an appearance later on in this story?

Meanwhile, I was fired from my job, so that's fun (not).

2 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2½ chapter 12: Lift wants Wyndle to read every single entry in the archive. Of course it turned out to be something ridiculous like that. But now she has a new plan, which sounds more fun (something about stealing fancy clothes to pretend she's a rich person). I'm looking forward to it.

Hope it lives up to the hype, your <honorific-spoiler>.

Meanwhile, we hear that Lift has met Hoid and it goes back to that part about him spending "the better part of a year inside of a large stomach". So of course Lift thinks he's dead. Maybe he'll make an appearance later on in this story?

RAFO, of course.

Meanwhile, I was fired from my job, so that's fun (not).

Sorry to hear that. If you need to vent, rant, or just ask advice on resumes or whatnot, please let us know.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:40 PM, Treamayne said:

Sorry to hear that. If you need to vent, rant, or just ask advice on resumes or whatnot, please let us know.

Aw, thank you! The first thing I'm doing is trying to rent out my extra room, so if you guys happen to know of someone looking for a place to stay in Batavia NY, feel free to send them my way. Honestly I'm super nervous, because I listed the room online but I've never tried renting out to strangers before, and today someone came to look at it and now I'm freaking out, going through imposter syndrome and whatnot, :wacko:.

SA2½ chapter 13: That was a great chapter! Everyone was so shocked to find out Lift actually knows Gawx!

57 minutes ago, Amira said:

Aw, thank you! The first thing I'm doing is trying to rent out my extra room, so if you guys happen to know of someone looking for a place to stay in Batavia NY, feel free to send them my way. Honestly I'm super nervous, because I listed the room online but I've never tried renting out to strangers before, and today someone came to look at it and now I'm freaking out, going through imposter syndrome and whatnot, 

Not sure about NY, but I will recommend that you consider making appointments to include snack/drinks/lunch as far as looking for a tenant.

Roommate/tenant (especially in a shared space) is very much a relationship (not romantic, and not even necessarily friendship) and should be considered in such terms. Iwould recommend either meeting at a coffeeshop/cafe first for the "interview and questions," then, if that goes well you can follow-up with the walkthrough - or - reverse than and have them see the space, then adjourn to a neutral location (coffeeshop/cafe/etc) to conduct the interview and questions. 

A neutral setting for the interview makes it easier for all parties to relax, and it is usually easier to identify if there will personality resonance or conflict. Avoiding significant conflict with a potential future tenant/roommate can save you a ton of future stress and problems.

SA2½ chapter 13: That was a great chapter! Everyone was so shocked to find out Lift actually knows Gawx!

Sure. Do what Lift says. What could possibly go worong?

You know, Brandon has said several times that WoK is one of his favorite (if not the fav? Im not sure) novels he's written, but that it's the one that makes his readers trust him the most while reading. I never really understood what he meant by that because, like a few people have mentioned, I just read through it as fast as I could. I've probably read WoK 8 or 9 times at this point, and still I didn't really get what BS meant. However, reading your theories as you go along (which is probably a much better way to read any Cosmere novel, than what I do) I understand what he means now. 
I really appreciate you doing this. It is fun, just like you thought it would be, but it is personally helpful to me to see your lines of thought without the foreknowledge of what's coming.

It's really cool.

Edited by JohnnyKaizen

On 4/11/2023 at 11:06 AM, JohnnyKaizen said:

You know, Brandon has said several times that WoK is one of his favorite (if not the fav? Im not sure) novels he's written, but that it's the one that makes his readers trust him the most while reading. I never really understood what he meant by that because, like a few people have mentioned, I just read through it as fast as I could. I've probably read WoK 8 or 9 times at this point, and still I didn't really get what BS meant. However, reading your theories as you go along (which is probably a much better way to read any Cosmere novel, than what I do) I understand what he means now. 
I really appreciate you doing this. It is fun, just like you thought it would be, but it is personally helpful to me to see your lines of thought without the foreknowledge of what's coming.

It's really cool.

Thank you. <3 

SA2½ chapter 14: Your Pancakefullness? Gosh, Lift's plan was pretty dumb. At least she got to try more pancake varieties, right? Hopefully now she has a real lead. Meanwhile, I'm still hoping we get to see Szeth again...