(Spoilers) Discussion on the implications of Brandon's announcement on the Cosmere

Ixthos

Brandon recently made an announcement that has massive implications for the future of his writings in the Cosmere. See the video here: 

What follows is in spoilers for this video, so please watch it first before continuing.

Spoiler

No, seriously, watch it first.

Spoiler

So, four new novels of which three are new Cosmere novels. Brandon hasn't released the names of these books yet, but you can see images for their covers from the Kickstarter:

a3e890c642960d634867aa7c88b10ddf_original.tif?ixlib=rb-4.0.2&w=680&fit=max&v=1646078671&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=68ce565f38bf6c707f239ec62a7cd0bf

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/surprise-four-secret-novels-by-brandon-sanderson?ref=bva2b9

Brandon will be releasing details slowly for some of these, though he's being careful to make sure they aren't spoiled for anyone who wants to be surprised. For now though, lets discuss which of these may be Cosmere based entirely on the covers.

I think secret project 1, 3, and 4 are the Cosmere novels.

• Secret project 1 may somehow relate to Ambition due to Patji's statements about water, and the significance of water on both Taldain and First of the Sun, so I suspect it may be on Obrodai, a world Autonomy is claiming by forming an avatar but of which we don't know anything else. It also could be on First of the Sun.
  • Secret project 3 looks a little like something involving a Mistborn, so possibly on Scadrial
  • Secret project 4 something about it makes me think of Aether of Night, so the orange item held by the person there may be some new version of an aether

What do you think? This is kind of exciting!

Just now, Experience said:
  Hide contents

Brandon mentioned that at least one of them is about a character we've seen, but haven't yet had from their own veiwpoint. 

Could the fourth one possibly be mraize?

Spoiler

That certainly could be possible. Assuming my guesses are correct could he be in the Aether one or the Mistborn one or the Autonomy one?

Spoiler

The first cover reminds me of Threnody, but that's purely off the color scheme. I have no clue what any of the art is of.

I would guess the second one is the non-cosmere, though.

1 minute ago, Ixthos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That certainly could be possible. Assuming my guesses are correct could he be in the Aether one or the Mistborn one or the Autonomy one?

Spoiler

Well, he could technically be in any of them, depending on their timelines. I guess I would just expect him to be on the fourth one most because doesn't he have aether, or has that not been confirmed?

And honestly, my first thought when I saw number 3 was kaladin and syl. Idk tho.

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:
  Hide contents

The first cover reminds me of Threnody, but that's purely off the color scheme. I have no clue what any of the art is of.

I would guess the second one is the non-cosmere, though.

Spoiler

Well, the wine glass on the rocks kind of makes me think it's not Threnody :P agreed on the second point

1 minute ago, Experience said:
  Hide contents

Well, he could technically be in any of them, depending on their timelines. I guess I would just expect him to be on the fourth one most because doesn't he have aether, or has that not been confirmed?

And honestly, my first thought when I saw number 3 was kaladin and syl. Idk tho.

Spoiler

Well his cloths were stained with aether, so maybe this is how that happened :D:P

Mistborn and Windrunners have a lot in common - Preservation, Protection / Associated with mist, associated with wind / telekinesis, control over pressure, etc.

It might be a good idea to have the mods move this to Unreleased Books

Spoiler

It might be relevant that the zoomed version of the 3rd cover focus on a swirl while the other focus on a face

The things in the background of #4 kind of look like floating island to me so it might be Silence Divine?

Also for some reason my brain decided the character design on #3 would fit Khirss and Nazh and is getting hyped for a Nazh origin story

#1 can't be Threnody, there's no moon there.

14 minutes ago, Experience said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

My first thought was also "these two are bounded"

35 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Brandon recently made an announcement that has massive implications for the future of his writings in the Cosmere. See the video here: 

What follows is in spoilers for this video, so please watch it first before continuing.

Reveal hidden contents

No, seriously, watch it first.

Reveal hidden contents

So, four new novels of which three are new Cosmere novels. Brandon hasn't released the names of these books yet, but you can see images for their covers from the Kickstarter:

a3e890c642960d634867aa7c88b10ddf_original.tif?ixlib=rb-4.0.2&w=680&fit=max&v=1646078671&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=68ce565f38bf6c707f239ec62a7cd0bf

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/surprise-four-secret-novels-by-brandon-sanderson?ref=bva2b9

Brandon will be releasing details slowly for some of these, though he's being careful to make sure they aren't spoiled for anyone who wants to be surprised. For now though, lets discuss which of these may be Cosmere based entirely on the covers.

I think secret project 1, 3, and 4 are the Cosmere novels.

• Secret project 1 may somehow relate to Ambition due to Patji's statements about water, and the significance of water on both Taldain and First of the Sun, so I suspect it may be on Obrodai, a world Autonomy is claiming by forming an avatar but of which we don't know anything else. It also could be on First of the Sun.
  • Secret project 3 looks a little like something involving a Mistborn, so possibly on Scadrial
  • Secret project 4 something about it makes me think of Aether of Night, so the orange item held by the person there may be some new version of an aether

What do you think? This is kind of exciting!

As I was watching the video the first character that came into mind was Nazh for the 3 cosmere books.

Did he mention they were a trilogy or stand-alones?

Just now, XaviGzz said:

As I was watching the video the first character that came into mind was Nazh for the 3 cosmere books.

Stand-alones

Just now, XaviGzz said:

Spoiler

He didn't say they were a triology, and I...don't think he specifically said they are stand-alones, but that's what I think is most likely.

@mathiau @Experience thanks for the replies.

He did mention the 3 cosmere were from a character we know but that has no viewpoints until now. As only 1 character. Would be weird if they were standalones, with that character in random stories with no interconnection.

Guess we'll find out in the coming weeks. :)

Edited by XaviGzz
Misspelling

2 minutes ago, XaviGzz said:

@mathiau @Experience thanks for the replies.

He did mention the 3 cosmere were from a character we know but that has no viewpoints until now. As only 1 character. Would be weird if they were standalones, with that character in random stories with no interconnection.

Guess we'll find out in the coming weeks. :)

Did he say that that character was in all three? I thought he was saying that one of them is that way.

If it is all three, then I think Mraize is all the more likely. Him or Nazh

Edited by Experience

Here are the stand-in covers they are using for marketing. These are not final but do give a sense of what each book is about:

Click only if you want it spoiled. Not much to gleam, but it is obvious that the Blue Book Is Non-Cosmere as there is a map visible. 

Spoiler

Edited by teknopathetic

Spoiler

I just checked which planet we know have a moon to know which planet it could be on (assuming it's one we know the starchart of and not, like, Vax) and I found Nalthis, Sel and I found that Nalthis, Roshar, First of the Sun, Elegy, Sel and Taldain do.

Roshar stands out of the the lot since one of its moons is green.

I doubt it's Elegy since it doesn't have a perpendicularity

Spoiler

Book #1 - I was hoping maybe is a Nalthis story. Maybe it's the lady with the hair giving me that thought but I'd be down for that.

Book #2 - Agreed that it's the non-Cosmere one though it's hard to see the land on that globe in the cover.

Book #3 - Is anyone else getting mist cloak vibes on Book #3 for the character at the top? I was hoping Secret History 2 but I suppose that wouldn't be a standalone. Maybe it's set on Sel though, Spook story filling in between Era 1 and 2? 

Book #4 - Have no idea. With it the objects in the back looking like advanced technology and all I wonder if it's possibly set on Sel that will fill in the gap between Era 2 and 3, which would work since it's released at the end of 2023 where he should be gearing up for Era 3.

1 hour ago, paperstones said:
  Hide contents

#2 is non cosmere. The is a map of Africa on the cover.

Spoiler

And most of Europe. You can see Anatolia, the Black Sea, Italy, the continent and the British Isles

That leaves #1, #3 and #4 in the Cosmere by implication.

#1 must be on a world with a moon. A fairly big moon at that. That rules out Scadrial, Threnody, Ashyn, Braize and, if the moon is to scale, also Roshar

#4 seems to be in an urban environment with something in the sky. That may be clouds obviously. It may be something else. Ashyn?

Edited by Oltux72
Forgot that Threnody is also moonless

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:
  Hide contents

And most of Europe. You can see Anatolia, the Black Sea, Italy, the continent and the British Isles

That leaves #1, #3 and #4 in the Cosmere by implication.

#1 must be on a world with a moon. A fairly big moon at that. That rules out Scadrial, Ashyn, Braize and, if the moon is to scale, also Roshar

#4 seems to be in an urban environment with something in the sky. That may be clouds obviously. It may be something else. Ashyn?

Spoiler

#1, yeah the moon perhaps makes the world have high waves like the cover seems to show. Perhaps this is a new Cosmere world we haven't seen.

#4 if you look at the video full screen on a computer you can see there's detail that makes them seem to be ships in the air. Maybe it's on Scadrial leading up to Era 3 as the technology advances closer to space levels. 

1 hour ago, XaviGzz said:

I doubt that on the grounds that we are supposed to get a novel featuring Nicelle Sauvage. I always understood that to be based on the Ghastly Gondola, hence already featuring Nazriloff. It would seem strange to steal his show.

16 minutes ago, thirdsaint85 said:
  Hide contents

#1, yeah the moon perhaps makes the world have high waves like the cover seems to show. Perhaps this is a new Cosmere world we haven't seen.

That said, we have one character we haven't had a view point of and Taldaine has a moon. The cover of #1 also seems to feature an adult woman. So could that be Khrissalla and this be the story of how she leaves Taldaine?

About Book 1 and Book 3

Spoiler

Book 1 makes me think the Darkside, as Darkside is very aquatic with many island nations.

The colours of Book 3 make me think of Warbreaker, though those could be Sky Colours from Darkside as well. 

Edited by teknopathetic