(Spoilers) Discussion on the implications of Brandon's announcement on the Cosmere

Ixthos

Just now, Nathrangking said:

I buy all except the last one as he had no say in the matter.

The first time he had nothing to say indeed (aside from when Shallan hugged him ... and Kaladin asked him for a story ... you know what, he's been rendered speechless more often than I'd thought).

30 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Hoid is truly talented. Storyteller, Jester, Cabin boy, coachman. What can't he do?

After re-reading Wax and Wayne, this is why I have an even greater appreciation for Wayne.  Dude can do it all without any magical aid, just a change in hat.

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

Roshar is in the middle of their Industrial Revolution; it's just fabrial-based instead of traditional technology. Aethers will be important for space age Cosmere, seemingly in the same technology level, and I don't see indications of Aether-based technology yet in this story.

Roshar and Scadrial are both hitting their technological advances at around the same time, so if this is the Aether world at minimum 301 years after Stormlight (assuming the Iriali pick up and haul out in the middle of SA5 and spend a year on the Aether planet), it's at quite the disadvantage.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I do not think TES happens after SA. I just think it doesn't happens millennia before SA, and I think that means that the "leave Roshar" part of the Trail already happened but that for some reason (probably the fact three Shards were waging war with each others) they weren't all teleported to the next planet, which was probably the TES planet.

Also, it's possible the only reason Aethers are relevant to space age Cosmere is that the teleportation Aether can take you offworld, like Aon Tia can.

I suspect we'll find out on Tuesday during the livestream; Iriali chronology is gonna be a pretty popular question. I don't see anything disqualifying either option, before or after, but aside from the salt mine, it very much feels like a "once upon a time" story to me.

Hoid's stories do tend to be like that

2 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Hoid is truly talented. Storyteller, Jester, Cabin boy, coachman. What can't he do?

Eat beacon

12 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Also, it's possible the only reason Aethers are relevant to space age Cosmere is that the teleportation Aether can take you offworld, like Aon Tia can.

I disagree. Aether of Night spoilers:

Spoiler

I really would enjoy seeing willing Ferrous Aether Corpate ships - imagine, like Anne McCaffrey's Ship Who ... series, a living person as the core of a ship, exploring worlds.