Could Hoid kill by accident?

Toaster Retribution

Inspired by seeing the ”How Hoid could kill if he wanted to”-thread. Do we think Hoid could accidentally kill someone? For example, if Hoid and some random guy named Bob climbed a mountain and Hoid slipped and accidentally pushed Bob down the mountainside, would whatever magic that prevents Hoid from harming others stop Bobs fall, or even stop Bob from being pushed in the first place, or would he die?

I personally assume that Bob would die, since, knowing the Cosmere, Intent probably has something to do with Hoids ”I cant hurt people”-status, but I wonder if anyone sees it differently. 

My guess would be that, if anything, the restriction would stop him from shoving, but if the shove happened, the other guy would just die. From what we've seen, the restriction works like a mental compulsion/geas, not like a reality warping magic, and only affects Hoid himself.

Seems to be based heavily around Intent and perception, so I'd guess an accident is something that the magic would let happen.

Questioner

Can Hoid eat Soulcast bacon? 

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. He could probably eat lab-grown meat if he knew it was (or magic-grown meat). He probably could. His psychology will be influencing this, right? Which is why I say "probably." But the magic would allow it. 

Billy todd

If somebody lied to him about the nature of the meat, could he eat that? 

Brandon Sanderson

No. Well, okay, if they lied and said it was Soulcast, yes, then he probably could.

Questioner 2

It's based on his perception. 

Brandon Sanderson

It's based on his perception, yeah.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Hoid is a master corner cutter. 

It is already established he could walk away from Roshar and leave it to odium if it meant odium would be trapped here. He said as much to dalinar. It would sadden him but he’d do it. 

He empathises with the individual but I think he’s more cold hearted than people realise. Don’t get me wrong I love him but him and Kelsier have more in common than I think they like to admit. Speaking of he certainly enjoyed whipping his ass and seemed to relish it. But he already didn’t think much of Kelsier prior to this. 

We know he can’t directly harm individuals but from this I think we can determine he would if he could. He’s not as savage as Kelsier’s wanton slaughtering but he’s perfectly capable of luring somebody onto a train track and watching them get hit by it. He’s subtle, crafty and perfectly capable of manoeuvring people to get around his little handicap.  

One thing I liked about this phrasing OP is the mountain climbing analogy. 

I think he is compelled to save people by choice not by his previous Dawnshard status. For example if Adolin fell off a cliff he’d offer a hand because he wanted to and laugh about it after. If Sadius fell of a cliff he’d watch with a smile. He couldn’t tread on his fingers or even kick dirt in his eye but I think he could watch him fall. 

6 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

Agreed, he's also supplied people with weapons directly, he's given people information knowing it would be used to kill people, he helped Jasnah with that whole "duel" thing... etc. etc. I don't think his magic is going to stop any accidents considering how it seems to only effect harm caused directly by him.

Didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this is a repeat of something already said. 

I think that Hoid's inability to hurt people is more self-centered, rather than reaching outward. He could probably kill on accident, especially if he had no idea that he was doing it. For example, if he had a plate of poisoned food that was probably meant for him, and then he gave it to someone else because he was hungry, that person would probably die. The magic wouldn't stop the person from eating or the poison from working. It also wouldn't stop Hoid since he just thought that he was helping the person, not killing him. 

On 3/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, AerionBFII said:

It is already established he could walk away from Roshar and leave it to odium if it meant odium would be trapped here. He said as much to dalinar. It would sadden him but he’d do it. 

He empathises with the individual but I think he’s more cold hearted than people realise. Don’t get me wrong I love him but him and Kelsier have more in common than I think they like to admit. Speaking of he certainly enjoyed whipping his ass and seemed to relish it. But he already didn’t think much of Kelsier prior to this. 

We know he can’t directly harm individuals but from this I think we can determine he would if he could. He’s not as savage as Kelsier’s wanton slaughtering but he’s perfectly capable of luring somebody onto a train track and watching them get hit by it. He’s subtle, crafty and perfectly capable of manoeuvring people to get around his little handicap.  

One thing I liked about this phrasing OP is the mountain climbing analogy. 

I think he is compelled to save people by choice not by his previous Dawnshard status. For example if Adolin fell off a cliff he’d offer a hand because he wanted to and laugh about it after. If Sadius fell of a cliff he’d watch with a smile. He couldn’t tread on his fingers or even kick dirt in his eye but I think he could watch him fall. 

I agree fully with this comment.

I, originally, wondered if Hoid would be compelled to save Bob. But, if it is an accident, and a genuine accident, I think Hoid could do let Bob fall if Bob were evil (like Sadeas) or if Bob's death was for the greater good (like Alendi's death). 

On the other hand, if Hoid intentionally pushed Bob off the cliff, I also think that that would be allowed. But, Hoid would then need to have the full intention of saving Bob's life using Allomancy, or by knowing the drop was short and with water at the bottom.

The grey area is... Could Hoid change his mind? And actually kill Bob using a mind game... This seems similar to what I imagine Vasher does with his non-Returned form, so I wonder...

Could Hoid shoot someone in the face knowing they have a goldmind (like Wayne)?

I think yes.

But, could Hoid convince himself that someone has a goldmind, shoot them and then watch them die?

• 2 weeks later...

I think, harm, even if non-lethal, could not be done by Hoid. Meat is already dead, but Hoid can't eat it. 

On 3/16/2022 at 11:08 PM, Kandrafish said:

Could Hoid shoot someone in the face knowing they have a goldmind (like Wayne)?

I think yes.

But, could Hoid convince himself that someone has a goldmind, shoot them and then watch them die?

I disagree with this because it is still harm, despite the potential to heal. Hoid has attempted to punch people and failed, so I think it is not based on future effects or lethality, but immediate consequences.