Dragonsteel Mini Con

Nuatoma

Kind of let slip in the newsletter today that they will be doing a two day Dragonsteel mini con November 22-23.  No other details in the newsletter.

He also confirmed he'll be at FanX, which I've also never been to so guess now I should decide if I should get to at least one of these events this fall.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BenduLuke said:

How or where do you register for either? Where will they be?

FanX is in Salt Lake City, Utah, and I imagine that Dragonsteel Mini-Con will be somewhere in the same vicinity. I don't believe you can register for Mini-Con yet, but FanX you should be able to, given it's only a little more than a month away at this point.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great job digging that up!

Looks like only 150 people will be able to get in the traditional "signing line," selected randomly through a lottery. (Edit: 150 tickets, 2 people per ticket, so up to 300.) There were, like, 2000 people at the last release party, so those odds aren't too good. It might be better to book a last-minute trip to FanX, for those whose goal is to meet Brandon.

Edited by Pagerunner

I am curious how you even managed to dig this up :P

Looking throughout the pages, I might get some amount of merch to be shipped to me, but I don't like the (mini)con's COVID protocols, so I think I'll skip on the actual attendance. I hope there will be more release parties / conventions like this one in the future that I can attend.

4 hours ago, Argent said:

Looking throughout the pages, I might get some amount of merch to be shipped to me, but I don't like the (mini)con's COVID protocols, so I think I'll skip on the actual attendance. I hope there will be more release parties / conventions like this one in the future that I can attend.

Probably for the best. From the Code of Conduct:

Unacceptable behaviors include, but are not limited to:

• Sustained or repeated disruption of Dragonsteel Mini-Con or interruption of other fans.

Thanks for all the info from everyone.  It looks like Brandon just did his weekly update and gave a huge amount of info all about this mini-con.  Here is the link for that:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/huge-announcement-ww-and-fanx-update/

I think the books and other stuff go on sale this Wednesday, 9/15 (I found that in the FAQ section on the mini-con webpage).

56 minutes ago, mbradsha said:

Thanks for all the info from everyone.  It looks like Brandon just did his weekly update and gave a huge amount of info all about this mini-con.  Here is the link for that:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/huge-announcement-ww-and-fanx-update/

I think the books and other stuff go on sale this Wednesday, 9/15 (I found that in the FAQ section on the mini-con webpage).

Oh, thank you!

Suddenly I'm thinking back to a year ago, when the Kickstarter for The Way of Kings went live and the page was all but entirely unusable for the first half hour or so as it got swamped with so much traffic.

Registration goes live in approximately 1 hour.  Anyone care to speculate on how well the server will hold up?

EDIT: Yup.  The site is slowed to a crawl, with page loads taking over a minute when they don't fail entirely with nginx errors.

Edited by Mason Wheeler

If anyone's registration stalls out at a step marked "Checkout" after hitting the Add To Cart button, there's a glitch in the site's coding.  It's attempting to send you on to https://minicon.dragonsteelbooks.com/cart and failing.  Go to there after the Add To Cart step and you'll be able to check out.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Mini-Con schedule is live, folks, on the con homepage. I don't see any signing lines scheduled, which I guess makes sense, since literally everybody there would want to go to it. Not like this is FanX or JordanCon, where people foolishly go to see people other than Brandon.

I've collected the panel list and bolded anywhere that we might be receiving WoBs from. (And I'm not going to get more specific than that with my acronyms; now's an excellent time to establish WoB as the generic term, regardless of which other author or Dragonsteel team member it comes from.) I don't know if they will be officially recording any of these beyond the actual release event, but even if they are, it's a good idea to get a recording from the audience, anyways. It will let it get up on Arcanum and transcribed quicker.

618981b140be7_MiniconSchedule.thumb.PNG.e330631b752457ac8358f2e0d028e671.PNG

So, if you're going to any of those I bolded, please whip out your phone and get it on record for the panel. When the day comes, upload audio you get here: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/479-mini-con-2021/.

2 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Does anyone who won't be able to attend have any lore questions they'd like to have asked at the Q&A?

It's like you read my mind. I had hoped to be able to attend the con, but it didn't work out, so I was just thinking of coming on here and asking if anyone attending would be willing to ask a question. I have a long running list, but don't want to overwhelm, so here's just a few. If any of them seem interesting to you, I'd love it if you'd ask.

Spoilering (all cosmere) just in case:

Spoiler
  1. In RoW I-12, Taravangian mentions that the Diagram sent agents to research Nightblood by interviewing one of its former bearers. Who did they interview?
  2. Can spren hear the pure tones of Roshar? Have they heard them at all since the imprisonment of BAM?
  3. Venli gave her 5 scholars gemstones that she claimed held voidspren like Ulim back when she was starting her work with Ulim to push the listeners to eventually adopt stormform – did those gems actually have voidspren like Ulim in them? If so, where did they come from? Because Axindweth was the source of the gem containing Ulim, but she had buggered off by this point.
  4. During the final framing sequence in the tavern at the end of Shadows for Silence, there’s a line referencing “a greasy-looking fellow [who] rose from his meal and shuffled out of the front door, looking half drunk already, though it was only noon.” Then in OB we meet Rial, who has a couple of interactions with Dalinar, is described as “greasy,” and we know has a penchant for drinking. He also claims to have been “reborn” in the bridge crews. And there's also a greasy guy fond of drinking in Bands of Mourning (DeChamp, the gravekeeper). Are any of these the same guy? If so, anything else you can tell us about him?
  5. Can you tell us about any of the people who have been named Honored Dead? (See WoR I-2, where Ym mentions he had submitted a proposal for the Azish inventor of spectacles to be named one)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, Mason Wheeler said:

Does anyone who won't be able to attend have any lore questions they'd like to have asked at the Q&A?

Sure The wording on some of these are weird the purpose is to extract as much information as possible without getting RAFO'd if you have a better way to word them feel free

Spoiler
  1. Can the ability to use the mist be stolen with Hemalurgy, and if it can what spikes would you use?
  2. Using Raysiums abiity to make different sized conjoined gems, could you make a perpetual motion machine by linking two different sized gems onto a single platform?
  3. The Ars Acanum for SA mentions a more esoteric set of abilities, if Khriss knew about Lift would she say that she had those abilities?
  4. In the Cosmere Dawnshards are known as divine Commands, has someone in world ever proposed the idea of divine Intents?

Edited by Frustration

Very late notice and I haven’t posted here in years, but an abundance of vacation days led to me pulling the trigger to travel to this con as well.  Cytonic release is all the rage of course, but as usual I feel that the opportunity for juicy Cosmere-related WoBs is a real draw.

No idea how many total will be at the con but I’m happy to ask good questions if people want to keep posting them here.  

So, not sure if paraphrasing is still best practice after the new consent policies, but I'm gonna go ahead and post my question from the spoiler q&a

Spoiler

Wyndlerunner: So Renarin is not a normal Truthwatcher, whether you want to use the term Corrupted or Enlightened. Is he the first of his kind?

Brandon: Yes he is.