Kell totally wears dresses sometimes. You cannot convince me he doesn't find them useful and/or fun. 

It's my headcanon that Keepers got integrated into slang, and that storing in a metalmind is sometimes called 'keeping'. (I have way too much fun making up phrases for modern Scadrian society.) 

Well, here's a long post packed full of character dev and fun :P I hope you enjoy! I'll have her rejoin everyone next post. 

Tagging Venture because this is the finished version of the post we talked about, if you wanted to read it! And Star because I know she likes Marie development. 

@Butt Ad Venture @Shard of Thought 

Legs dangling over the side of a building, Marie stared out over the field of blue. She'd ducked out of the church a minute ago for space - she really didn't want to have this conversation, but it would be had eventually, so she intended to have it on her own terms. 

The blue lines didn't all look the same. Some were thicker, others thinner, some quavered interestingly in an indication that they were light or movable. When you watched them closely you could see this, but if you let your vision unfocus and paid attention to the view as a whole, you saw shapes better: lumps of buildings and the darting figures of humans.

(Humans. When had she started calling them that? When had she started thinking of herself as not being one? She'd known it back in her life, when she whispered behind a hand to other nobles about those monsters, those awful mist-bidden beasts with spikes for eyes, and so when she awoke blind with the pain shooting from head to toe she had no longer called herself human. But she only really took it in subconsciously after some time with the other Inquisitors, listening to how they referred to the humans, and to themselves.) 

She tracked the movements below idly, wishing in an abstract way that she could blink, and thought, Well, Terrisman, say what you're going to say already.

You stayed, he said. You could have gone with the Survivor and you did not.

"Mmhmmm," she purred, lips curling down. "Your point?"

I am well aware of your feelings toward me. And I can understand how that same distaste would carry over to his methods. But you chose what is essentially imprisonment over his manipulation.

The devil you know, she said shortly. 

He was silent for a time. She watched the flickers and flits of blue and cataloged her Feruchemical stores. A thick armband of mental speed; another of warmth; another of calories. A copper bracer and several tight copper rings and earrings. Bronze studding her tongue and ears. Anklets, bracers, rings, plenty of gold held tight to her body. Nothing she wore could be grabbed and torn away, and all of it pierced her skin, so none but the most masterful could Pull them off. The atiumminds were inside her; she didn't think about how they'd gotten there, only knew it as a blur of blood and unfinished pains. 

She would need to store mental speed if she kept using it. She had goldminds to spare, but it might be a good idea to keep some more health anyway. Most of her metalminds were around average levels, with bendalloy and copper being notable exceptions - nutrition was running low and she had enough memories to knock someone over. (She knew this because on occasion, they had.) 

You know, people who truly love the kill do not, unsurprisingly, often try so hard to show that as you. 

She ground her teeth. 

Nor have I seen many an Inquisitor cover herself with a sheet to keep from getting bloodied. Yet you did, back at the mine. 

He'd noticed that? 

For a supposed monster, you smile at small children quite regularly. 

Shut up. 

She received the impression of a man in robes raising an eyebrow. 

I loved my life, she sent back stubbornly. 

Harmony was unconvinced. What you had under Ruin was not a life, Marie. 

She sprawled backward, hands braced to hold her up, then pushed and sprang off the building, dropping a coin and landing on the roof across the street. Neither is this. 

He acquiesced to that. I did want to speak to you about this arrangement, as well. 

"Is it an arrangement if one party entered unwillingly into it?" she muttered, back to watching the passersby, eyes wary. 

It is my hope that - 

That I become a willing, happy pawn. A sword in your hand. I - 

Nᴏ, Mᴀʀɪᴇ. His voice did something weird: it seemed to twist around space and make it sound like there was nothing there at all. I ᴡɪsʜ ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ʜᴜʀᴛɪɴɢ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀs. I ᴡɪsʜ ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴏ ᴀs ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪsʜ, ɴᴏᴛ ᴀs Aᴛɪ ᴅɪᴅ. 

The voice, the warping. It. It was like. It reminded her of.

Marie stored as much mental speed as it was possible to store in the span of a second. 

Over ten seconds she recognized what the power behind that voice had called to mind. Over the next forty she made the connection that her reaction had been because 

Five heartbeats and she stopped storing zinc, then calmly stowed the last minute in a coppermind. 

I am sorry, Harmony said gently, and to her relief, acted as though nothing had happened. While it would be beneficial to have you work for me, I do not plan on making you. 

But you already have, she sneered. Am I not here to watch this ragtag group?

Not for any purpose of mine. And He sighed in a way she recognized; they'd both been burning rust for a while now, Pulling on the same coin so it went nowhere. I truly intended for you to spend time with others and not kill them, in the hopes that you might...return to yourself, as you were before gods began meddling around in your head.

Ugh. He agreed with the Survivor. "Gods," Marie muttered with a short laugh. "You including yourself in that category?"

A beat of silence. ...I suppose I am.

Well, you do great at the meddling part. Can't speak for the divinity.

Some might call you a goddess in your own right.

If they're willing to start practicing human sacrifices, I can accept that, Marie said, pretending to consider. From Harmony came a noncommittal hum, and for a fleeting moment she almost smiled.

If there were a viable alternative that did not require me to infringe on your rights, I would take it, he said suddenly, and her face faded to blankness. But at this time the only one I can, unfortunately, see is your passing from this Realm, which you still do not appear to want, I think.

You think correctly, Terrisman. She stood up and stretched.

Then I am sorry, Miss Lekal, for I cannot let you massacre countless innocents without reason.

Her immediate thought was to come back with, "The reason is fun!"...but she felt no enthusiasm. She poked around her brain suspiciously, but it didn't seem to be his influence.

Oh? said Harmony, sounding far away. She waited, and then paced around the flat rooftop, and then idly cursed him out internally, and finally after a time he continued, thoughtful. I have explored an idea that could be the future. 

Have you now. Would you like to share it with the class? 

I am interested to see if you can guess it on your own, actually. 

"Oh, spike you," she mumbled, then caught herself. She hadn't said that in a long time; she'd fallen out of the habit when there were no other Inquisitors to joke with. 

Fine, then, she'd try to rusting guess. Possibilities having to do with her situation, ones that Harmony liked, other than the already-dismissed death and her giving herself over to his plans entirely. A compromise? What options were there? More freedom for her. Having reign to shed blood as long as they'd threatened her companions first. Killing anybody not in this little group was probably too much to ask. Not ever being made to stop talking could be it. 

I had not considered the second one, but I do not think it is a terrible idea. If Ruination happens in self-defense, then it is also of Preservation. That would be just fine, I think. He hesitated slightly, then went on. I was thinking of a promise that you would not attempt to murder, in exchange for me not manipulating your thoughts. Though well-intentioned, it did not have the effect I wished for, and may have caused further damage to your mental state. 

She scratched her tattoos absentmindedly. That wasn't something she'd expected him to give up. You'd trust me on a promise? That hadn't gone well for him in the past. 

Perhaps not at first, he allowed. You would still be under orders of nonlethality. But if your efforts in obeying them and in not severely hurting others were genuine, those would be relaxed. 

Damn it. But if it made her mind solely her own, then not getting full physical autonomy right away was acceptable...being able to fantasize about violence and think as she wished. And how about being able to say what I like? Or will there be restrictions on that? 

I will speak to Adilie about not restricting your topics of conversation. 

She'd still be involved? 

Harmony did something inexplicably mental which conveyed apology. I still cannot monitor you without pause; there is a concerning...presence at the edge... He trailed off and did not continue. 

Oooookay then, Mr. Mysterious Godly Problems. You handle that. Being tied to the same people once again was displeasing, but if she was allowed to loudly and continually complain about it, she'd deal with it. 

Do you agree then? To do your best not to harm or kill anyone unless they move to first, with your thoughts untouched? 

She didn't really need to think about it, but she turned it over for a few seconds anyway. 

I agree. 

On 28/03/2021 at 2:29 PM, Condensation said:

"I'm gonna play with Kell!"

10 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

“And what are we playing?” Kelsier asked her.

Drae scoffed, "I can't wait to see what you interpretation of 'game' is Kelsier." 

11 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I assume you don’t want me to tell her about aluminum? Kelsier sent to his old friend.

Does he mean burning it or wearing it? She knows about burning. 

11 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I assume you don’t want me to tell her about aluminum? Kelsier sent to his old friend.

(Sazed is purposefully not asking Kell if he can recruit Drae - he is of the opinion that Drae can do what he wants :P) 

I would prefer if you stayed separate from this and let her progress at her own pace, yes. 

Sazed also contacted Adilie. Miss [last name that we don't know], I have spoken with Marie, and we have come to an arrangement. She will continue with the group, under orders not to attack anyone who has not attacked one of you first. I ask that you not keep her from speaking, however. If you require help, then Mr. Rahti's Soothing can be boosted to a potent enough level. Are you amenable to this? If you do not wish to continue this service, I can understand. 

@mathiau 

18 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I would prefer if you stayed separate from this and let her progress at her own pace, yes. 

Sazed also contacted Adilie. Miss [last name that we don't know], I have spoken with Marie, and we have come to an arrangement. She will continue with the group, under orders not to attack anyone who has not attacked one of you first. I ask that you not keep her from speaking, however. If you require help, then Mr. Rahti's Soothing can be boosted to a potent enough level. Are you amenable to this? If you do not wish to continue this service, I can understand. 

@mathiau 

To be fair, Kell does respect Drae’s belief in him. He genuinely does want to help him. And Saze can hardly recruit EVERY Survivorist...

Kelsier nodded. I do have a gift for her, though. He couldn’t quite suppress the smug edge to it. I wonder what she’ll do with it. Let her know, will you?

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier nodded. I do have a gift for her, though. He couldn’t quite suppress the smug edge to it. I wonder what she’ll do with it. Let her know, will you?

I was thinking more of his newer crew that Drae recently joined, rather than Survivorism - but that makes sense.

If Sazed had had an avatar, it would have rubbed a hand over its face. Where do you plan on giving her the gift?

27 minutes ago, AonEne said:

If Sazed had had an avatar, it would have rubbed a hand over its face. Where do you plan on giving her the gift?

It’s on an island. Kelsier pictured the place inside his mind, a small, sheltered grotto at the base of an active volcano. Small brown plants sprouted amidst the ash, interspersed with stark, pale trees. The plants of a world now centuries gone. I was planning to give her a map. You did say she likes plants and I’m not the best gardener.

16 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

It’s on an island. Kelsier pictured the place inside his mind, a small, sheltered grotto at the base of an active volcano. Small brown plants sprouted amidst the ash, interspersed with stark, pale trees. The plants of a world now centuries gone. I was planning to give her a map. You did say she likes plants and I’m not the best gardener.

I know of that place. I will inform her that you wanted her to know about it.

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I know of that place. I will inform her that you wanted her to know about it.

I want to tell her, Kelsier sent. It’s my gift. And I want her to find it for herself. Shards know she could use something to wonder about. She hasn’t ever let herself explore. Now she has the opportunity. Let her have it.

Just tell Aspen I have something for her. I doubt she wants me in her mind and I can’t seek her out now. I promised Zola we’d play before I left.

4 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I want to tell her, Kelsier sent. It’s my gift. And I want her to find it for herself. Shards know she could use something to wonder about. She hasn’t ever let herself explore. Now she has the opportunity. Let her have it.

Just tell Aspen I have something for her. I doubt she wants me in her mind and I can’t seek her out now. I promised Zola we’d play before I left.

My apologies, I will do so. He was silent for a moment, then added, I believe that she prefers not to go by Aspen, however?

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

@mathiau 

I think I can continue, though the Survivor said he'd free Marie from any order I'd give her so I won't do it unless he leaves. This would part would probably not work, but she would lose nothing by asking, I've noticed the Survivor could use ferruchemical duralumin, I don't supposed you'd just tell me how he did it but could you give me a clue? Please?

Since I'm bad at thinking of names and a lot of Sanderson's characters don't have names (Sazed for example), I didn't define a last name for Adilie, if you have a good idea for a good Scandrialese/MaiPon last name go ahead :D

2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I think I can continue, though the Survivor said he'd free Marie from any order I'd give her so I won't do it unless he leaves. This would part would probably not work, but she would lose nothing by asking, I've noticed the Survivor could use ferruchemical duralumin, I don't supposed you'd just tell me how he did it but could you give me a clue? Please?

Oh! Pick me! I'm good at making names!

What about Yevos? (Making up names is really fun for me. :))

19 minutes ago, mathiau said:

A lot of Scadrians don’t have last names yet.

Godmetals. There was a smugness to the thought, a promise of unspoken secrets he had no intention of sharing.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

3 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier grinned. Has that ever stopped me? His laughter carried across the Connection.

Sazed disapproved but said nothing.

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

He should be leaving soon. And it may be best for you to figure that out on your own, but yes, he does have all Allomantic and Feruchemical abilities.