Implications of a death rattle.

Frustration

"Above silence, the illuminating storms-dying storms- illuminate the silence above." - WoK end note.

I was looking at this in the coppermind and I remembered that in the book it points out that the silence was both above and below the storms, but the only way someone would know that is if they could fly. So gravitation must be involved, implying a battle in the storms. Also note the term storms, not storm, so both Everstorm and Highstorm are present. Dying storms could mean that both Storms will at some point be destroyed.

Anyway those are my thoughts, feel free to pick them apart.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

"Above silence, the illuminating storms-dying storms- illuminate the silence above." - WoK end note.

I was looking at this in the coppermind and I remembered that in the book it points out that the silence was both above and below the storms, but the only way someone would know that is if they could fly. So gravitation must be involved, implying a battle in the storms. Also note the term storms, not storm, so both Everstorm and Highstorm are present. Dying storms could mean that both Storms will at some point be destroyed.

Anyway those are my thoughts, feel free to pick them apart.

Your analysis sounds like the aftermath of Kaladin and Szeth's battle at the end of WOR.

The most interesting part about this rattle is the language. How can a storm illuminate silence? There are a few characters who hear voices in their heads perhaps the illumination sort of banishes these voices leaving silence.

1 hour ago, LordTheodore said:

Your analysis sounds like the aftermath of Kaladin and Szeth's battle at the end of WOR.

The most interesting part about this rattle is the language. How can a storm illuminate silence? There are a few characters who hear voices in their heads perhaps the illumination sort of banishes these voices leaving silence.

I remember someone in a past thread about this pointing out that the silence above could be silence in the heavens - the shards have died or aren't there anymore. The dying storms might therefore be a consequence of that.

Argent

The ketek in the first book ["Above silence, the illuminating storms - dying storms - illuminate the silence above"], it seems like this refers to Honor's death.

Brandon Sanderson

Mmhmm.

Argent

What does "Above silence," refer to?

Brandon Sanderson

Above a silent land. 

Argent

Hmm. Roshar, somehow? Okay, you're not gonna tell that.

And the second ketek, in Words of Radiance, similarly refers to the highstorm and the Everstorm... Is there more to it?

Brandon Sanderson

No, it's by Navani about the two [storms].

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

The reference to 'dying storms' strikes me as almost an ominous suggestion about the storms disappearing from Roshar. With how much of Roshar's ecosystem, along with the reliance of the singers on the highstorm to change forms, it would be quite devastating if the highstorm was to, for some reason, cease to exist.  

1 hour ago, Gderu said:

Oh well there goes that idea. That's interesting though, I didn't think Brandon would go into so much detail.

Not entirely he spoke about the storms being above silence, not "the silence above"

17 hours ago, LordTheodore said:

Shadesmar. They illuminate there.

Well its about Honors death, so maybe this is from the storm fathers point of view? He saw that in honors absence the "storms were dying" and that land was quiet and mournful, so he decided to take up the torch and do Honors work the best way he could.