The God Complex

Darth Woodrack

Third Character  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow a tertiary, non godly, character?

• Yes
    • No

Alaska 

Luna brought the axe down once more, feeling the wood split beneath it. She wrenched the axe out of the wood and rested it on her shoulder. Chopping wood was boring, but it did give her time alone, something which she’d had precious little of for the last half century. At least her father had decided to settle down with his few followers in a remote village. It was unlikely anyone mortal would make the journey to attack him, and she’d scared off any gods foolish enough to try. Still, she kept busy with more mundane tasks, as well as protecting the village from more mundane threats.  

Luna slammed the axe into the chopping block, gathering up the wood. She walked back through the village to the house she and her father shared, glancing at the villagers, who looked away. They had more traditional deference towards her than her father, who insisted they treat him like a simple wise man, albeit an immortal one. That was part of the doctrine he’d helped create. Prayers, if they could be called that, were simple requests for wisdom, such as one would ask a wise man.

She reached their house and shouldered open the door, dropping the firewood by the hearth before sitting down to take her boots off. Her father was sitting on the ground as he often did, staring into the flames. She knelt beside him, looking into the fire and wondering what he saw in it that she didn’t. “What do you see, Father?” she asked quietly, placing a hand on his shoulder. 

“Well, since you asked, I see myself opening a letter that has just appeared out of the flames. I’m not sure what’s written on it, but that doesn’t matter, since it’ll be here soon anyway.” Sangus nodded to himself and stood up, moving close to the flames. 

About a minute later, just as he’d said, a letter formed out of the flames. Sangus grabbed it nimbly and pulled the seal off, just as he’d done in his vision. He unfolded the letter and quickly read it. “We must go to Tokyo. And soon.” 

Luna raised an eyebrow, already putting together a list of things she’d need in her head. “How soon?” 

“How soon can you get your things together?” her father asked, tucking the letter back into its envelope. He’d already have everything he needed, as always. Luna held up five fingers and disappeared upstairs. 

True to her word, she came back five minutes later with a black backpack over one shoulder. Her father was standing outside, talking to one of the villagers. He quickly finished and nodded to her. He was ready to leave. Luna waved the villager away and stepped close to her father. She grabbed his shoulder, and they shifted away from the village to a busy street in the Japanese megacity. 

“So why are we here, Father?” she asked, glancing around at the mortals surrounding them. None were any threat, but it always paid to be careful. 

“A meeting of gods. We’ve not had one of any significance in some time.” Her father began walking, and Luna followed close behind. A meeting of gods. Sangus was right in that no meeting that of any significance had occured in quite some time. Luna scanned the crowds as they walked, but she didn’t spot anyone she could tell was a god. Likely, most of them had simply gone directly to the meeting place, wherever it was.

Edited by Dr. Dapper

Tokyo

A light that shines in a way that no mortal can perceive flashes across the sky. I stand beside Chao as we peer into another realm and see a sight which brings makes my maw curl into a frown and her hooded eyes narrow. I feel war come as I sigh. No meeting of god has been called for centuries. That one is being called now can mean that I may once again been called to bestow my power upon others. We watch as people rush about trying to get home from work unaware that in their midst there are gods whose powers they could only dream of. A cool breeze blows and I turn to my companion. 

For several centuries Chao and I have traveled together. We are kindred spirits She and I. "Shall we join this coven of deities or flee?" My voice flies through the air, but is ignored by the mortals who stand around us.

"Let's go. Think of the glorious chaos."

"If you insist." With a nod the light vanishes and we go with it. Space bend and contorts around us as we travel. In an instant we appear outside a crumbling home surrounded by cracked concrete wild shrubbery. From the void I call my blade and it appears in my hand. Sapphire light surrounds me. A gentle breeze blows around us as we float to the front door. Chao blows the door off its hinges.

We cautiously enter a condemned house at the very outskirts of Tokyo and I stand with my sword held at the ready. We looks right and then left as we make our way to the living room area. We stop in the doorway of the living room and I clear my throat pulling Ulix from his thoughts. 

Edited by Nathrangking

2 minutes ago, bees? said:

I reform my body and wipe some dust off of my collar. "Next time, don't hitch a ride." 

Caebdar I do beg your pardon for using my powers to travel through your domain however as you well know quick travel was required. As you can see Ulix has summoned the gods with great urgency.

Note, for clarity: Sij Hawm and Tsaus Ntuj, due to their nature as the first beings of their universe, are (fairly) androgynous when taking human disguises and tend to prefer to use singular 'they' as an addressing noun.

Sij Hawm stalked the streets of Tokyo, as they tended to do, still revelling in the ones who thought their form was an adornment, despite the curling mist that always cloaked them. Cosplay seemed to be the current term for it, but they knew the humans would change it before long. They always did. They felt anchored here, in a way that much of the world was different. Time's passage was dual here, just as they were: eddies here and there where things remained unchanged for decades or centuries, sharply contrasted with places where nothing was the same twice. A gamble in every moment, money changing hands in a cosmic bet. These islands were their home, despite their place of origin. 

They breathed in deeply, enjoying the mingling scents of human progress and human despair, as a sense of time's slipping came over them, blurring their vision and carrying a vision to them: them, entering a room where power awaited them. Other gods, a summons. Trouble on the horizon as a sensation of ominousness faintly sensed at the trailing end of the dissipating slippage. 

When the official summons arrived, Sij Hawm was ready and waiting. Time waited for no one, not even them, and there was work to be about. The meeting must be observed at a minimum. The rest would have to be seen about.

Edited by Invocation

Barbados stood in an underground gladiatorial arena. He had it built a hundred years ago, but the God Complex took it over a decade before. The bodies of those who took it littered he arena. He had moved a massive table to the center of the arena, and waited for the other gods to arrive.

Ulix drifted in and formed on the opposite end of the table from Barbados, also waiting. He said, "Not that these God Complex operatives did not deserve justice, but could you not have cleared this are in a less... lethal... way? Many of the gods who might come share my disdain of your methods, but do not share my equal disdain for violence."

Barbados looked at him and asked in a Victorian accent, "I am a god of death. Did you seriously just ask if I could get rid of a massive room full of god complex soldiers without killing them?"

"Your point is made."

Mizuki walked through the indicated area, wondering who had called her here. She looked around nervously, wondering why she had never heard of this place, even when she had lived in this city all her life. Still, that alone showed that this place was different somehow, part of a world she didn't know of. Even then, she had to wonder if she wasn't making some horrible mistake.

Feeling nervous, darkness started gathering around her, slightly obscuring her form, though she didn't notice it. Quietly she walked through the entrance to a large underground space, strange beings already sitting around a table in the centre. Looking around, she could see strange forms on the floor around them. She looked at them, curious at what they were. Corpses. She nearly turned and ran right there, and she only just managed to suppress her nausea. Trembling she walked forwards to the table, not sitting down yet, instead waiting for the beings there to notice her.

Side by side myself, Chao, and Caebdar step forward. Ulix gives off a nervous energy the likes of which I have rarely seen on the visage of any god much less one as mighty as he. Before any of us can speak he is swallowed by his blue mist and is gone.

I let out a deep growl and snap two gauntlet covered finger. A wave of sapphire power washes over Chao and myself pulling us from this place. We travel through worlds that no mortal shall ever be privileged to know. Kingdoms built on the bones of fallen gods flash passed us and ruins built by the darkest of demons dominate the air before us. Suddenly, we stand at the entrance to a vast underground space. I know this place as I can feel the call of war manifest between these walls.

Chao almost giggled at the chaos that had taken this place. She moved from my side and walked among the corpses that litter the room. She almost dances as she makes her way toward a table where Ulix and and to my shock Barbados are sitting.

A slight asian woman stands still by the table  as though she unsure whether she should sit. 

Chao takes a seat and I growl. The sound shakes the cavern and makes all of those present including the girl flinch. '

"Barbados why have you called us to this place? Ulix why did you not indicate that this shrine was to be our place of meeting?"

As my deep bass voice which lacks an accent echoes I step up to the table and stand with my sword still drawn.

Edited by Nathrangking

He’d taken the form of a younger child, perhaps ten years old, and so she towered over him. Corpses littered the ground of the arena, which Sangus carefully picked his way around on his way to the center. Luna simply kicked them out of the way. Killing was all well and good if one had a purpose, but death for the sake of death was useless. 

The two of them came up to a table, where several gods already sat. Sangus smiled a little, and hopped up into a chair. He would have looked faintly ridiculous if not for Luna, who stood behind him with arms crossed, eyeing the others with her haunted gaze. Sangus cleared his throat. “Yes, Barbados, why have you slain these men? I don’t think they’ve done anything wrong, and there are less... odious ways to get rid of mortals.”

Can I still join this? I'll have a character made within a couple hours probably.

Character:

Spoiler

Name: DANK (must be in all caps)

Appearance:

Image result for yugi

Domains:
Primary: Memes
Secondary: Cliches, Anime.

Powers: He has a deck of cards that is ever changing. Each card has a different meme (usually a template or something. He would draw a specific meme with a caption, he'd draw something like 'tHe sPoNgEbOb MeMe or 'dabbing' or 'harambe') on it, which allows him to do some specific power related to it. Harambe might let him turn into a huge gorilla, dabbing might let him stab his haters by dabbing on them, or whatever. 
However, each of these memes have a second factor: Power. The power of a meme is a function of dankness, hilarity, rate of production, and age, the first three add to power while age removes power. Harambe was moderately dank, not very funny, the rate of harambe related memes is pretty slow right now, and it's pretty old. It's power is low. This means that in practice a Harambe card would probably allow DANK only to grow some extra hair. 
His cliche power is that his chances in terms of a getting a good or bad card rise and fall based on how cliche each result would be. His anime power means that he is super anime.
I'll put together a little program to take all of this into account and spit out a card whenever I need it.

Weakness: He can only be hurt by a meme. For example, the kid from the 'so you're telling me' or the kid from 90 other memes. If he traveled back in time and ran into Harambe, that would also work.

Origin: DANK was a huge loser who basically spent all day for a year looking at memes. He took in so much DANK energy that he became a god of memes.

Goals: Become a meme himself. That would make him super OP. Unfortunately it turns out artificially creating memes, even with meme super powers, is super hard.

Edited by Kidpen

This is shaping up to be rather intriguing, I’d also like to request to join. No worries if it’s all full though. :]

Edit: Character below

Spoiler

Name: Caeli

Domains: Primary: Air  Secondary: Sound, Laughter. She can call the wind to her, in addition to taking the air from a mortal's lungs should she wish it (or putting it back). She can travel on a breeze, or as a breeze itself. Her command over sound is less distinct, she can dampen or increase sound but only in a general local area. She has the ability to emit a very high whistle that can injure or rupture the eardrum or crack glass, but this ability only works within about one block, and that's if she stills the wind around her so that sound travels farther. Caeli can spur mortals to laughter and is attracted to laughter, both derisive, mocking laughter and good-natured laughter.

Appearance: Appears as a youngish (late teens/early 20s) woman with very light, long silvery-blonde hair that seems constantly moving in an unseen wind. Her skin is somewhat translucent, even when she chooses to be seen - and she can become unseen at will, dissolving into a semi-visible breeze. She has a somewhat impish heart-shaped face, is slender and of average height. Her eyes are shifting orbs of blue and green, slightly tilted, with no pupil. She has very white teeth, and her smile is both inviting and unsettling. Wears a light camisole-type dress that blends into her skin, and falls to mid-calf. It almost seems a part of her, not true clothing. 

Manifestation of Power: A cold breeze and the sound of distant echoing laughter. It is unclear if the laughter is happy or cruel. Sometimes a high whistle is also present.

Origin: Caeli has been many things - male, female, neither. She was born when creation gave breath to the planet, and air became, dancing, swirling, travelling.

Personality/Goal: Caeli is a capricious god, neither good nor evil - though she can act in either way by turns. She is easily bored and always looking for something new. Her temper is quickly roused, and just as quickly dispersed. She can be cold as a winter gale, or sweet as summer's lightest breeze. Her goal is to move through the world as air moves, seeing all, hearing all, never a dull moment. She has a somewhat "Fae" morality - that is, one that cannot be grasped by mortals as either good or evil. She is as she is.

Weaknesses: Can be killed if locked in an airless space/ a vacuum. 

@Darth Woodrack

Edited by ZincAboutIt

In reply to all current and future requests: I do not have a cap on the number of members! If anything, we’ll expand the RP to fit you, not limit if you can join. Kidpen, I’ll add in your character as soon as possible.

Ulix replied with, “Because I was invited by Barbados, and arrived just now.”

Barbados smiled and said in his Victorian accent, “I have called you here to discuss our mutual problem. The God Complex. They have become much more brazen over the last year, and are now in open war with my worshipers. It has become quite hard to expand my reach when they pin suspicious individuals to the ground and search for their mark. They have captured three gods that I know of, and managed to kill two. Before this year, the taking of this place was the most direct action they had ever taken. They are stepping up and need to be dealt with.

”To your questions about my methods... these soldiers serve the god complex. They attacked me first. Therefore, they got what they deserved.”

Nathrang, could you please not decide on my character's actions for me? In this case the reaction made sense to some degree, but you're not fully aware of her personality and such, so the way you make her react might not fit with what she'd actually do.

Mizuki watched other beings appear one by one, walking to the table and sitting down. One particularly scary looking being growled at her as it sat down, making her flinch. Looking around she quickly sat down down as well, trying to figure out what the beings around her were. At least a few of them looked human, which managed to calm her a bit, though the one looking like a child was scary in his own way, something about him feeling unnatural, like it was just something disguising itself as a child.

Some of the beings started talking to each other, calm, despite all the bodies surrounding them, though some of them mentioned that they found it distasteful, asking why it had been done. She wasn't sure what to think of that. After all, the fact that they mentioned it meant that they at least cared about it, that they weren't complete monsters, but at the same time all they did was express distaste, and it didn't look as if they cared much more besides that.

At that point the... being... hosting the gathering spoke up. She tried to follow what he was talking about, though she wasn't sure she understood him correctly. He talked about a certain organisation, how they had targeted him, and how they had already taken out multiple gods. That made her frown for a second, wondering if he simply considered himself a god, but then she remembered how everyone here looked, and her doubts vanished. These beings could certainly qualify for the title of god. That made her wonder why she was here though. She wasn't a god after all, she had normal parents, and she had only gained her abilities less than a year ago. Still, at least some of those here looked human...

Noticing something, she raised her hand. "Um,"  she started, sounding nervous, "you said that they captured and killed some... gods, right? How did they do that? I mean..." She fell silent, and gestured to the bodies lying around, trying to hide her nausea. "How could they have defeated them?"

As an aside, since we have multiple gods with Magic as a secondary domain, does that mean magic actually exists in this world in a form normal humans can use?

Yes, I did not notice the god modding, but that is directly against the RP rules. Please avoid it.

Also... I guess so? Maybe gods can gift their specific forms of magic to a certain number of mortals, like Warlocks in D&D?

“You’re new at this aren’t you? My apologies, I assumed that everyone who managed to find their way here understood the rules already. We are all gods here, I am Barbados god of Death, Fear, and Bats. There are many domains represented here. For example, Ulix there is the god of peace, shifting, and his own personal afterlife. We are immortal, to a point. Every god here has a weakness, from simple to complex. The god complex makes it a mission to discover and exploit those for all the gods. Mine is common knowledge, I can only be killed by a mortal who does not worship or fear me. Therefore I have nothing to fear at this table, or from the God Complex, as their organization is built on fear of us. They are an international, convoluted organization bent on controlling godhood. Mortal free will and all that garbage. Gods develop for any number of reasons, I was worshipped a lot, some people here were there at the beginning, others just appeared. I assume from your confusion that you just became a god, and from your demeanor you were not worshipped. So, I welcome you to the ranks of godhood.”

Logos appeared at the meeting and waited. The gods here seemed powerful, but there were some beginners. There was also one who seemed... illogical. His name was.. Dank? Very strange. 

Phantom walked into the meeting room. He didn't need to, of course, but he liked to seem unassuming. Just a man-shaped thing wearing fashionable red clothing. He sat and watched. Most of them seemed useless for his purposes, but the new god could be useful. He let the room discuss and waited for an opportunity. 

Willing to RP with anyone

Edited by Coda
Add message

Mizuki looked at him, trying to understand what he had said. Suddenly she remembered her manners, and that she was talking to what was apparently a god of death, and she gave a small, polite bow. "Um, thank you," she softly said, hoping that that would be enough. At the same time she continued trying to work through what he had said.

According to him she had suddenly become a god? It made some form of sense, but she wasn't sure she fully understood yet. She wondered what that meant though. She had some idea of her powers, but she wasn't sure if it was enough to qualify her as a god. Still, maybe she simply didn't know how to use them yet? Barbados did mention that each god had multiple domains, and she didn't have her powers for that long.

Still, his talk about this organization worried her the most. Apparently even the more experienced gods had difficulty dealing with her, and she didn't have any of the knowledge or power that they had. And he had talked about a weakness as well. She though about what hers could be. Was that the type of thing you were supposed to just know? She had figured out her strength depended on the moon, but she never had any point where she didn't have any power at all, so maybe that wasn't it?

She softly shook her head, trying to focus. She could think about this later, after all this was over. She had a feeling that missing this would be a very bad idea. But still, one thing floated around in the back of her mind. After all, if she had suddenly become a god, why had she become one?

I publicly apologize for my misbehavior. I'll be more careful in the future.

"Barbados, you know well that mortals have tried before to take our power. Why should we fear these now?"

My more measured tone echos through the chamber as I look around and cock my brow. 

"More importantly what do you expect of us? Many of us have been at odds in the past. Would you have us just set aside our pasts and unite?"

Edited by Nathrangking