Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

Just now, Lightblood said:

I mean obviously he likes them enough to read all the books and search out the fan site, but @TheOrlionThatComesBefore He was asking why are you on 17th shard not this specific thread. 

But also he likes 17th shard enough to have 3,000+ posts so...

All the Cosmere books, specifically. I've read some of the other stuff and concluded that I did not want to read a non-Cosmere Brandon Sanderson novel again. 

As far as the actual implied question, I don't feel the poster's antagonism warrants or entitles an explanation of any positive views I may have about Sanderson that might have led me to seek out the site. 

Perhaps in a more appropriate topic, or if you DM me :)

9 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

All the Cosmere books, specifically. I've read some of the other stuff and concluded that I did not want to read a non-Cosmere Brandon Sanderson novel again. 

As far as the actual implied question, I don't feel the poster's antagonism warrants or entitles an explanation of any positive views I may have about Sanderson that might have led me to seek out the site. 

ROASTED!!!!!

On 3/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, Bacon said:

Lift not liking bacon is a horrible character decision that will keep her from being an influential figure the Cosmere and will stifle the reader’s ability to accept her as a viable POV character throughout the Stormlight series once her personality quirks become stale

I mean, bacon’s good, but it’s just okay by itself.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:03 AM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I hope this isn't antagonistic, but I'm highly curious as to what you do enjoy about Sanderson.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:03 AM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I've read some of the other stuff and concluded that I did not want to read a non-Cosmere Brandon Sanderson novel again. 

I was almost at that point after the train wreck that was Calamity, but then I read Skyward, and the Rithmatist, and Perfect State, and I realized that his Non-Cosmere is amazing too.

Legion was really good as well.

4 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I hope this isn't antagonistic, but I'm highly curious as to what you do enjoy about Sanderson.

Remorselessly criticizing his work! :P

Like I said, maybe in a more appropriate thread. But I will say that I enjoy his Cosmere work like I enjoy MCU movies: as fun entertainment. 

4 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I was almost at that point after the train wreck that was Calamity, but then I read Skyward, and the Rithmatist, and Perfect State, and I realized that his Non-Cosmere is amazing too.

Legion was really good as well.

Did not care for Legion, personally. 

I never read Calamity (thankfully). I was out upon finishing Firefight.

Here's not a super unpopular belief but still unpopular from die hard sanderson's 

Apocalypse guard should not be written...

It just shouldn't, It's not a very interesting premise, is based off of the steelheart books, and is just going to distract from him writing the books that we actually want.

14 minutes ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Did not care for Legion, personally.

And yeah same, Legion just wasn't worth seeking out for me, I feel like apocalypse guard will be the same.

2 hours ago, Lightblood said:

Apocalypse guard should not be written...

Yep. Imagine if he ended Reckkners properly instead of trying to open up another franchise, we would probably still have Skyward for those that like it AND the Lost Metal AND that horrid Magic Novella.

Apocalypse Guard was a misstep. It was not ready for primetime, and honestly I don't know if it ever will be. The way he talks about it, it's going to be completely different anyway. 

So, time for another unpopular opinion that I've mentioned elsewhere, but not in this thread! 

Apocalypse Guard was a mistake, the Magic novella was a betrayal. 

21 hours ago, Lightblood said:

Prefer it to all of Brandon's books on a whole? Or prefer it more then specific series?

To me, Harry Potter scores 9.7/10
Non-cosmere about 9.2/10
cosmere about 6.8/10

Most important to least important:
Engaging
Characters doing what the established character would do in that situation
Humour
consistency (consistent magic, too)
Certain story points all adding up perfectly.

Yeah, Harry Potter has some odd stuff. Why are a few first year students able to get past obstacles designed by teachers?
Why is moaning mertyl not questioned about the basalisk?
Why is Harry Potter protected by plot armour?
BUT it is engaging, with characters that feel real, and is full of humour. The magic might not follow strict rules, but it's fairly consistent, eg: magic tends to wear off depending on how well the spell was performed. That's why I like it so much.

I like his non-cosmere works next.

And then cosmere works last, (unpopular opinion,) because the plot seems to be dragging the characters around all the time to save the world from imminent doom, especially Shallan. Stormlight series is my favourite cosmere work, though.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:28 PM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Apocalypse Guard was a mistake, the Magic novella was a betrayal. 

I’m with you that Apocalypse Guard shouldn’t be written, but is the Magic novella really a betrayal? Brandon is a huge Magic fan, and I’m glad he got the opportunity to write it. The fact that he consistently gives us books anyway is enough for me to overlook the delay of the Lost Metal.

11 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

I’m with you that Apocalypse Guard shouldn’t be written, but is the Magic novella really a betrayal? Brandon is a huge Magic fan, and I’m glad he got the opportunity to write it. The fact that he consistently gives us books anyway is enough for me to overlook the delay of the Lost Metal.

Yes, specifically a certain betrayal of trust, as in he chose to do one thing he wanted to do instead of what he had committed to do. 

To be sure, that's different from not delivering because of failure. Your reasoning with how consistent he has delivered product coupled with genuine attempts to fulfill an obligation would be reasons to forgive. So, let's say The Lost Metal was delayed because he wanted to deliver on something for his contract left unfulfilled by the Apocalypse Guard fiasco, that would not be betrayal, and I would still grumble but not have this sense of not being able to take Brandon away his word. 

That's not the same with the Magic novella. It was a late decision that he knew would affect (possibly alienate) a good portion of his fans. In my case, he's lost a good bit of my trust, hence why I call it a betrayal. That's also why, for me, looking to his record does not help, I'm particular because I can't recall a similar past event, whereas in my "failure" example, I could say "Words of Radiance was put on hold so he could finish Wheel of Time and the end result was fantastic." We don't have that here. 

And to be sure, I would never call him out directly on it, be it online or in person. I'm a bit too stoic for that and even I am not that big a jerk. 

6 hours ago, Datan Nomlibash said:

Slightly off topic but whats up with the "mtg novel" that every one is talking about?

Brandon talks about it in his 2018 State of the Sanderson. That will give you the best summary and you can decide how to feel about it, if anything. 

I'll even do part of the work for you and link to it! 

https://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2018/

Edited by TheOrlionThatComesBefore

On 3/26/2019 at 11:06 PM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

2) Brandon's focus on the mechanics of magic turns it into a fantastical physics, not magic. 

What do you think magic is? Is a well explained magic system your definition of fantastical physics? The fact that it is “fantastical physics” already show the nonrealmagical element there. Just because there are logical rules and mechanics of Brandon’s systems of magic doesn’t mean that it’s not magic. If anything, it’s better than having inconsistent magic that seems to have no rules, because it’s “predictability” makes it cooler when someone uses it in a creative and interesting way.

Edited by IGetLIFTed