1 minute ago, winter devotion said:

I guess the metaphor thing made the descriptions for the scenes kinda impossible to do in Sanderson's typical flowy style. I read it as a Sanderson book, not as a YA, and I love plenty (by which I mean approximately three) YA series, but there's a different standard. I wanted more detail in the setting and the fights had interesting ideas, but where was the purple text. I LOVE ME SOME LONG FLOWERY PROSE WITH TOO MANY ADJECTIVES AND METAPHORS. 

Also, that guy was way too obsessed with Megan's boobs and it made me really uncomfortable. Like, yeah, it's accurate to a teenaged boy's mind but did it really need to go unexamined? 

hate purple prose and so the descriptions were good in my opinion. They painted a picture without wasting my time. :P

I....got none of that? Maybe he described them s couple times, but it didn’t strike me as excessive. And mind you, I’ve read Eldest, where a well endowed female character literally pats her breasts affectionately after a long purple passage to drive home the fact that yes, she has boobs. And I watched Chuck for a couple seasons, so I saw the same thing done in a visual medium. I’ve seen excessive boob descriptions and this isn’t that, is what I’m saying. 

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

hate purple prose and so the descriptions were good in my opinion. They painted a picture without wasting my time. :P

I....got none of that? Maybe he described them s couple times, but it didn’t strike me as excessive. And mind you, I’ve read Eldest, where a well endowed female character literally pats her breasts affectionately after a long purple passage to drive home the fact that yes, she has boobs. And I watched Chuck for a couple seasons, so I saw the same thing done in a visual medium. I’ve seen excessive boob descriptions and this isn’t that, is what I’m saying. 

I guess most of the YA I read has female leads, so that probably colors my opinions. 

It's the whole "I liked the strip tease" comment that annoyed me. 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I use adjectives and adverbs like I just came back from a sale on them, so my prose veers towards the purple side and when I read it I find myself mentally taking note of great adjectives to use. :P

I'm re-reading Firefight currently, and it seems like there are twice as many references to her knowledge of guns and habit of carrying grenades in her top as there are references to her physical appearance. i.e., he's infatuated with her, and physical attraction is certainly a part of that, but it's her personality and interests that really reel him in.

1 minute ago, Kobold King said:

I use adjectives and adverbs like I just came back from a sale on them, so my prose veers towards the purple side and when I read it I find myself mentally taking note of great adjectives to use. :P

I'm re-reading Firefight currently, and it seems like there are twice as many references to her knowledge of guns and habit of carrying grenades in her top as there are references to her physical appearance. i.e., he's infatuated with her, and physical attraction is certainly a part of that, but it's her personality and interests that really reel him in.

The "carries granades in her top" thing. 

I don't like extensive coverage of guns, outside of the "anime character randomly pulls out a gun." It just makes me feel uncomfortable. The humor was fun, but it felt more coincidental than integrated. Like, the humor should be used to balance out the tension in univesre as well as out, and there are a few good instances of that but there also are a few bad ones. 

And the "Racism isn't a thing becasue Epics are worse" felt like a lazy cop out to avoid addressing the "neo nazis might end up with Epic powers" deal. 

Honestly, I think my biggest problem is that he's just sort of boring to me. Like, I'd much rather have the books from Megan's perspective. She's not that special either, I guess, but I have a thing for brutal and complex ladies. YA is such a female genre to me, it seems weird for boys to be in it as anything other than a rugged childhood friend or prince with daddy issues. 

Man, do childhood friends have it rough in love triangles. 

8 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

The "carries granades in her top" thing. 

I don't like extensive coverage of guns, outside of the "anime character randomly pulls out a gun." It just makes me feel uncomfortable. The humor was fun, but it felt more coincidental than integrated. Like, the humor should be used to balance out the tension in univesre as well as out, and there are a few good instances of that but there also are a few bad ones. 

And the "Racism isn't a thing becasue Epics are worse" felt like a lazy cop out to avoid addressing the "neo nazis might end up with Epic powers" deal. 

Hey, I’ve worked retail. The number of women who carry money and/or phones between their cleavage is...unsettling. At least carrying grenades in your top is useful in a setting like this. 

I felt like the guns thing was realistic, what with them being in a post apocalyptic world and guns being a necessity for self defense. But then, I grew up in a household where guns were just another tool—a dangerous tool demanding special care and precautions, but a tool—so guns in fiction only bother me if they’re handled inaccurately. 

Maybe one did and he just got murdered because no one liked him. :P (I’ve met a lot of white people in my day, and I don’t think any of them liked neo Nazis.) 

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

Oregon is... somehow everything at once. 

Horror...Check
Sci-fi...Check
Fantasy...Check
Romance...Check
Thriller...Check
Mystery...Check
Dystopian...Check
Detective...Check
Military...Check
Erotica...This is probably the only one that Oregon isn't.  And if there weren't rules about this sort of thing, Shiny Sparkle and some of the other more promiscuous characters might make it qualify.

5 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

Horror...Check
Sci-fi...Check
Fantasy...Check
Romance...Check
Thriller...Check
Mystery...Check
Dystopian...Check
Detective...Check
Military...Check
Erotica...This is probably the only one that Oregon isn't.  And if there weren't rules about this sort of thing, Shiny Sparkle and some of the other more promiscuous characters might make it qualify.

Does just Red count? Maybe?

5 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

Horror...Check
Sci-fi...Check
Fantasy...Check
Romance...Check
Thriller...Check
Mystery...Check
Dystopian...Check
Detective...Check
Military...Check

Don’t forget Tragedy, Angst, Comedy, and a little bit of Family. 

2 hours ago, kenod said:

From what I remember the site rules are basically to keep away from any explicit stuff.

Yeah, so, therefor, it can't count as erotica. 
Anyway, I just finished Avatar The Last Airbender and dear goodness, someone get Azula a therapist. And Zuko too. It's soooooo good. 

On 2/9/2019 at 8:38 PM, The Young Pyromancer said:

No, Oregon/Edmonton doesn't qualify.

I mean, if it did, we would be getting into the implications of Armageddon's power and stuff.

*makes Armageddon asexual just to remove any possibility, no matter how slight, of this happening*

2 hours ago, Kidpen said:

*makes Armageddon asexual just to remove any possibility, no matter how slight, of this happening*

It's fine. I mean, Nighthound happened. Abuse of things like that can be interesting. 

But yeah, I understand why you might wanna avoid that. Ko's a complete moron when it comes to people's feelings for that exact reason. I honestly have no idea if they're actually attractive or if it's just their power. 

Another reason why Kokichi would make Oregon complicated: Every single female character is automatically attracted to Nathan , who loses everything interesting about him and becomes completely boring. (That's not happening now because he's not really a central part of the plot in the same way. Like, he didn't start it off.)

10 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Another reason why Kokichi would make Oregon complicated: Every single female character is automatically attracted to Nathan , who loses everything interesting about him and becomes completely boring. (That's not happening now because he's not really a central part of the plot in the same way. Like, he didn't start it off.)

*Now waiting Kokichi to meet Jacklyn.*