The Chat Thread

Archer

4 hours ago, mathiau said:

I'm reposting this question here because I assume not everyone is reading the Metallurgic Emporium thread.

On a completely unrelated note, Brandon said nicrosil didn't work the way we though, it works like copper meaning all the cool thing we had our characters do with it don't actually work and it basically has no use beyond hiding yourself from an awakener's lifesense.

Have you read Bands of Mourning? Because that one is definitely using feruchemical nicrosil in a very potent way. We have no info on its use Hemalurgically except that it steals Investiture, whatever that means. 

2 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

Have you read Bands of Mourning? Because that one is definitely using feruchemical nicrosil in a very potent way. We have no info on its use Hemalurgically except that it steals Investiture, whatever that means. 

I have, the Spear was created by heavy compounding which allow to do thing impossible to someone with F-nicrosil+one other power.

Here the WoB I was talking about

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

General Signed Books 2018 (Oct. 15, 2018)

14 hours ago, mathiau said:

I'm reposting this question here because I assume not everyone is reading the Metallurgic Emporium thread.

Yeah, good point. It does seem like our characters are on their way to initiate the main plot, though - are any of the people running that still active?

7 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Yeah, good point. It does seem like our characters are on their way to initiate the main plot, though - are any of the people running that still active?

To some degree, though I suggest pinging them. If you need Aylitha (people remembering stuff from the old world), ping me. Otherwise, Voidus and maybe Zinc and Ene. Fatebreaker is the one who is actually in charge of the plot (or the one who originally designed it at least), but he hasn't been online since October.

I don't really know much about the actual plot though, so I won't be useful for that.

17 minutes ago, kenod said:

To some degree, though I suggest pinging them. If you need Aylitha (people remembering stuff from the old world), ping me. Otherwise, Voidus and maybe Zinc and Ene. Fatebreaker is the one who is actually in charge of the plot (or the one who originally designed it at least), but he hasn't been online since October.

I don't really know much about the actual plot though, so I won't be useful for that.

Alright, thank you. Aylitha might need to get involved once we start poking around the hospital, since we'd be looking for other people with memories coming back. And do you happen to know anything about this era's Worldspike?

29 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Alright, thank you. Aylitha might need to get involved once we start poking around the hospital, since we'd be looking for other people with memories coming back. And do you happen to know anything about this era's Worldspike?

Sorry, I don't. You should probably ping Voidus for that. My personal guess is that it would either be hidden somewhere else where people can't reach it, or is still there but covered in barriers, as the only left-over of the original DA.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:29 PM, Rushu42 said:

@Voidus Would you be willing to tell me about the Worldspike? Thank you.

On 26/01/2021 at 4:26 AM, Rushu42 said:

@Voidus Would you be willing to tell me about the Worldspike? Thank you.

We hadn't actually discussed what happened to it this era. I mean for the purposes of plot I'm happy to change it around if needed so that it's hidden in a different way, the Stranger is the one who came up with the original idea for it so he'd definitely be capable of shifting it with his Forgery.

• 2 weeks later...

So Alanis (Rushu42), Folorian (mathiau), and Poller (me) are heading to the Einladung Hospital in an attempt to find out more about the mental alterations to people. I'm planning for them to meet Byron, another of my characters, there, but he doesn't know anything about memory changing because I'm doing something without asking permission wildly affected by Byron's unnatural spiritweb.

So, does anyone want to have a character (NPC or actual character) there for realityshift-affected-memory? All I really know is that 18th Shard has Sanax there, and not much else. I'm also not really sure what the endgame/midgame/wherever-we-are-game is here.

On 01/02/2021 at 0:32 AM, Voidus said:

We hadn't actually discussed what happened to it this era. I mean for the purposes of plot I'm happy to change it around if needed so that it's hidden in a different way, the Stranger is the one who came up with the original idea for it so he'd definitely be capable of shifting it with his Forgery.

Actually it was the opposite, we needed the Worldspike to be easy enough to find that members of the Scholar Guild would know it exist and that it cause the Connection effect that makes everyone speak Alleycommon

5 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

So, does anyone want to have a character (NPC or actual character) there for realityshift-affected-memory? All I really know is that 18th Shard has Sanax there, and not much else. I'm also not really sure what the endgame/midgame/wherever-we-are-game is here.

I think fixing memory is @kenod's characters' job

At the Hospital there's also Zinc's Vivica, 18th's Emily Azizi and sometime Voidus's Professor coming to visit Vivica

10 hours ago, mathiau said:

Yeah, Aylitha is the one who generally erases memories. If you want her folks to come by you'll need to ping me though, I don't really read all that's happening currently.

Edited by kenod
Missing the don't

On 2/14/2021 at 11:52 PM, Ashbringer said:

So Alanis (Rushu42), Folorian (mathiau), and Poller (me) are heading to the Einladung Hospital in an attempt to find out more about the mental alterations to people. I'm planning for them to meet Byron, another of my characters, there, but he doesn't know anything about memory changing because I'm doing something without asking permission wildly affected by Byron's unnatural spiritweb.

16 hours ago, mathiau said:

At the Hospital there's also Zinc's Vivica, 18th's Emily Azizi and sometime Voidus's Professor coming to visit Vivica

So as far as the two listed above: Sanax is aware (somewhat) of the memory-thing going on - his personal memory was unaffected but the divergence between his actual memories and the memories of the new world have essentially driven him insane. So he might be helpful tangentially but not intentionally. Aln would probably find him intriguing, partially because underneath the insanity is a genius level intellect. 

Emily on the other hand, is coherent, but unaware of memory changes at large. She has some faint phantom memories of a daughter from the other timeline that have been . She is essentially just a good person in a world much bigger than she is.

As far as plans - I also don't know the overall endgame, but character-wise - Emily is mostly open, while Sanax eventually will regain sanity and have an interesting relationship with Xanas, but that's farther off.

Emily's an employee in the mental ward, yes. Sanax also is one of the patients she would know who seems more sane at some points that he should be. I've also been playing with Sanax dampening the Forgery slightly due to the fact his powers negate Investiture - hence why Emily had any minor memory return at one point. That might be an interesting mechanic, with your group's powers failing at the same time as memories strengthening.

Sanax was also a member of the Dark Alley, but he was gone since before most anyone Aln might have met existed, so she probably wouldn't recognize him. However, he has an understanding of pretty much any investiture/magic system hidden inside his psyche at the moment, so Aln might find it interesting to talk to him, though he might be tougher to talk with coherently than even Folorian.

3 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

Sanax was also a member of the Dark Alley, but he was gone since before most anyone Aln might have met existed, so she probably wouldn't recognize him. However, he has an understanding of pretty much any investiture/magic system hidden inside his psyche at the moment, so Aln might find it interesting to talk to him, though he might be tougher to talk with coherently than even Folorian.

Sounds like a very fun conversation! Aln actually avoided the Dark Alley, generally so she wouldn't know much about that anyway. (A handy coverup for my own ignorance of the specifics...). I'll let you decide when you want to put them in - presumably once we're inside.

1 minute ago, Rushu42 said:

Sounds like a very fun conversation! Aln actually avoided the Dark Alley, generally so she wouldn't know much about that anyway. (A handy coverup for my own ignorance of the specifics...). I'll let you decide when you want to put them in - presumably once we're inside.

Wouldn't Sanax's passive investiture nullification suppress Aln's boon?

Lets see:

• Poller: Fine until narcolepsy makes him go to sleep
  • Aln: Deaf and unused to being so
  • Folorian: ... Complete sensory deprivation?
  • Zaria: Fine but powerless, no Stormlight to counter seizures
  • Byron: Either undergoing constant muscle spasms or dying from cadmium poisoning
  • Sanax: "This is fine."

Yeah not the best... @18th Shard, what would Sanax do to an Allomancer? Would it remove the actual metal like a Leecher would or just suppress their ability to burn the metal? Because if Byron can't burn the cadmium in his stomach he poisons himself...

2 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Actually, I wonder if the opposite would happen. Unlike Aln, his inhibition was given to him by the Nightwatcher - perhaps being in an anti-Investiture field would dampen the bane.

There's actually more to Folorian's bane than just a sensory inhibition, in fact his senses are working perfectly fine they're just taken care by the subconscious part of his brain. What the Nightwatcher did was a magical brain-surgery (that affected the Soul and Spirit so it cannot be healed by becoming a Radiant) that wouldn't be removed by an anti-magic field just as if someone that had their limbs regrown by Progression entered the field their limbs wouldn't disappear

2 hours ago, Ashbringer said:
  • Zaria: Fine but powerless, no Stormlight to counter seizures

Aren't he seizures magical too and therefore wouldn't happen?

On another subject, I've seen Sanax used to be an Elscaller, does he still follow his Oaths?