Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers)

Yeah, I don't think the snap was meant to be a delay until others could find a solution. I think he thought that was the solution, born about by terrible logic: I had this idea to save my planet No one listened to me (in fact, they called me mad) and they came up with their own ideas Their ideas didn't work and the still world died. 

And now he's had who knows how long to become more and more convinced that his idea would've saved Titan. I think it's completely believable that a "mad" individual as the sole survivor of his race would, given oodles of time, come to this conclusion on a universal scale if he was already thinking along these lines before the fall of his world.

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I remember something to do with Gamora's homeworld, where it started thriving at some point after his forces did their culling.

We only have Thanos' word about that. I hesitate (strongly) at taking him at his word about that, because he's also the person who said he'd rest after dusting half the universe, watching the sun rise on a grateful universe, and I'm pretty sure that the universe isn't actually grateful to him, yet his little smile at the end certainly indicates that he believes they are. So yeah. Thanos is unreliable, to say the very least. Until I see for myself that Gamora's homeworld is the thriving paradise Thanos claims it is, I'm not going to believe it. But I'll believe that he believes it.

I'm with Kaymyth on this. I doubt the MCU is going to go into depth on the extent of the fallout of the dustings, but logically, it would be bad. Beyond just what she's already mentioned, who knows how many world leaders have been dusted. Total anarchy doesn't seem too far out there, given how bad things probably are.

Also, one important thing to note: killing half the universe =/= killing half of each planet. I don't think the snap necessarily dusted half of each world. Remember when Thanos told Tony that he'd spare half of humanity and hopefully the survivors would remember Stark? Yeah, someone who's planning on dusting half of each world wouldn't need to make that comment because saving half of humanity would just sort of be a thing already. I don't think he decided that half of humanity would survive until Tony earned his respect. Who knows what would've happened had that not been the case.

Just saw it a 2nd time & wanted to add a couple things.

I totally get how Spiderman's death resonated deeply with folks, but the death that hit me hardest was Loki. I guess it was just because he was in the act of stepping up, making a committment to do the right thing though he had to know the risks - it just seemed so sad. Thor told him in "Ragnarok" that he could be "so much more" than the god of mischief ... to me it was sad that he died while living up to that statement.

I really hope that Loki does come back. What if it's something about him being a Frost Giant, not an actual Asgardian? I bet Thanos wouldn't have known that. It would be interesting (though really, really unlikely, I admit) if this was a plot point.

I've seen theories elsewhere online that what will happen in the next movie is, with Thanos "at rest" and half (or more) of the universe's population gone, we are ripe for another Big Bad to appear and wreak havoc. And if that's the wy it goes, might Thanos see that he has left the universe vulnerable to attack and decide to un-poof everyone to fight this new enemy? Interesting proposition... ^_^

I finally got to see it the other day, and gotta say, it was mostly all that I have been hoping it would be.  A couple of things.

At first, I wasn't really all that sure I liked Thano's motivation.  The idea that there are to many people in the universe for the limited amount of resources to sustain seemed like a weak reason for him to do what he did.  I mean, with all the stones couldn't he just make more?  But then he talked about what happened to his home planet, how it was devastated and his reasoning made more sense to me.  Still though, I think I would have liked his comic book motivation a little better, that he was courting Death herself.  He was a fantastic villain though, and they brought him in like a beast, beating down the Hulk the way that he did.  That was awesome and shocking.  I can't think of a better way for them to really bring home just how much of a threat he really is.  

So many people are so down on Star Lord for what he did.  Firstly, it fit his character perfectly.  He's always been a little immature and he still has a few self centered tendencies.  Also, he and Gamora were finally getting something started.  More importantly, think of this.  Dr. Strange saw over 14 million different possibilities, and in only one of them did they prevail in the end.  Does anyone really believe that there were not versions where they got that gauntlet off and they still lost?  So Dr. Strange probably manipulated things to get them where he needed them to be, and that included Star Lord pitching his fit and foiling their plan.  

I gotta say something about Thor though.  Will they let that man show some emotion and grieve a little for his losses?  It was the same thing in this one as it was in Ragonorak.  He loses someone and several minutes later he's cracking jokes.  I like the character, but jeez, he seems like a bit of a cold heart to me at times.  I know he's not, but he seems that way.

I was really pleased with how it ended, Thanos getting off his snap, and so many characters dying.  It was a gutsy move on Marvel/Disney's part.  Even though the majority of those who died already have confirmed sequels on the way so it's obvious they're coming back.

There are still characters who are going to die permanently in the next movie, and I think Captain America is going to be one of those.  Good chance for Iron Man as well and Vision.  I'm thinking Nebula to.  All the pre-snap deaths will likely stay dead, except, hopefully, for Gamora.  Maybe since her death involved the soul stone there is some hope of bringing her back.  Dangit I really wanna see that Star Lord/Gamora romance!

On 4/29/2018 at 11:15 AM, Steeldancer said:

You guys felt like it was long? The hours flew by so fast for me. 

Same.  It was almost completely non-stop from the get go.  It grabs you and just refuses to let you go.

I just got a chance to see this last night. Awesome movie. I think the key to the endgame is gonna be Stark. When you think about it, Dr. Strange spent the entire film saying that keeping the Time Stone away from Thanos was his #1 priority above all else...until it came down to saving Stark’s life. That tells me that the one scenario he saw where they are victorious involved Stark at its core. 

I just saw it today, and it was awesome!

Definity the best Marvel movie, mainly because finally they killed characters.

And Thanos is awesome. And Thor. And Groot. And Banner (who actually did something rather than just be a housing for the hulk). And Black Panther (always) and Captain America. And how Starlord, tho awesome before in GotG 1 and 2 and expected to be awesome in this movie, totally nuked it.

• 1 month later...

@Gancho Libre - I agree, though I do think that while his (Starlord's) actions made sense from a storytelling viewpoint, they were definitely not awesome.

I'm curious about what everyone thinks will happen in Avengers 4 (probably called Avengers: Endgame).

The main theory that I've heard is that either Captain America or Iron Man will die - or both - and they will probably sacrifice themselves. But I've also seen stuff about Gamora being alive in the Soul Stone, and that Rocket is going to die.

Personally, I think that they'll convince Thanos to reverse what he did, as he already seems to regret killing Gamora.

Also, really sad about Loki's death, especially since he has the smallest chance of coming back, and he was trying to be a hero when he died (though, really, there were so many better plans than just stabbing the crazy powerful enemy with a knife).  

Oh, and Infinity War related spoilers for the post-credits scene of Ant Man and The Wasp:

Spoiler

I love how they tied Ant Man & The Wasp into Infinity War by showing Hank, Hope & Hope's mother turning to dust, and I wonder how Scott will get out off the Quantum Realm.

And I hope we see Valkyrie in Avengers 4!

Sorry for rambling! 

On 2018-07-13 at 0:47 AM, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

Also, really sad about Loki's death, especially since he has the smallest chance of coming back, and he was trying to be a hero when he died (though, really, there were so many better plans than just stabbing the crazy powerful enemy with a knife).  

A lot of people complain about this but I think it makes sense. He is used to be able to trick people and stab them (see Thors story in Ragnarok about how he turned himself into a snake and stabbed Thor when they were ten). And also, he was desperate. Could he have ruined Thanos plans by betraying him at a later date and kill the Black Order? Probably, but it wouldn’t have stopped Thanos in the end. Killing him would have.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got to see the movie now that it has come out on digital. I was just super busy when it was out in the theaters and never had the time. @Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper I actually saw Ant Man & The Wasp in the theater before this and now that scene finally makes sense lol! 

Thought the movie was really good! I feel like I need to watch it again. I've enjoyed reading all the comments here I agree with many. I wish they would have used the courting of Death for Thanos motivation because I also feel his was a little weak or at least underdeveloped in the movie. I also agree all the dusted characters will come back but I do hope it is done in a way that comes at  cost. No way they are killing off all the money makers especially Spiddy and Black Panther who are just getting started. Man that Spiddy death was rough..I feel like it may be a sacrifice of Cap and Iron Man. Stoked about the Captain Marvel reveal at the end scene. 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the thread and maybe I just missed something.. Is Bruce dead? He was stuck into the rock but protected by the suit and we didn't see him dusted. I felt like the lack of The Hulk was some kind of foreshadowing and the fact his demise is not confirmed may play a bigger role in the next movie. 

Edit: Dang biggest surprise was Peter Dinklage! It is pretty amazing I have been able to avoid spoilers all this time and avoiding this one was amazing. 

Edited by StormingTexan

On 7/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

Also, really sad about Loki's death, especially since he has the smallest chance of coming back, and he was trying to be a hero when he died ...

@Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper I can't believe I didn't see this until your post here (and also that no one on this thread has brought it up!), but in that scene Loki is VERY much like [Oathbringer spoiler]

Spoiler

Elhokar ::sob::

Wow.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:11 AM, StormingTexan said:

I wish they would have used the courting of Death for Thanos motivation because I also feel his was a little weak or at least underdeveloped in the movie.

Have to disagree with that one, the original Courting of Death made him a lot less sympathetic and a lot more mustache-twisty insane; he just plain didnt care at all about anything.  In this case they just cut out the middle-woman in Death and gave Thanos the motivation that was originally Her's, it was the reason she gave to support his effort back in the comic.  Also I think trying to introduce the four Incarnates as actual characters wouldnt have done anything but diminish Thanos himself as the Uber-threat. 

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Have to disagree with that one, the original Courting of Death made him a lot less sympathetic and a lot more mustache-twisty insane; he just plain didnt care at all about anything.  In this case they just cut out the middle-woman in Death and gave Thanos the motivation that was originally Her's, it was the reason she gave to support his effort back in the comic.  Also I think trying to introduce the four Incarnates as actual characters wouldnt have done anything but diminish Thanos himself as the Uber-threat. 

Yeah I get your point of view just didn't feel like it was fleshed out enough in the movie for me. Or it is just stuck in my head canon too firmly to be replaced.  

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Yeah I get your point of view just didn't feel like it was fleshed out enough in the movie for me. Or it is just stuck in my head canon too firmly to be replaced.  

Ill admit I was previously hoping they were going to elevate Hela to some semblance of the role of Death and use that to bring things back closer to the comic.  Really it was Brolin's performance that won me over, making him surprisingly sympathetic, and I found it a more terrifying opponent to be a rational, motivated Believer rather than the comic version that, for me, was at the end of the day just a ridiculously super-powered (and bleeding crazy) school-boy with a crush (also a bit of a complex over his prettier brother :P).  

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Ill admit I was previously hoping they were going to elevate Hela to some semblance of the role of Death and use that to bring things back closer to the comic.  Really it was Brolin's performance that won me over, making him surprisingly sympathetic, and I found it a more terrifying opponent to be a rational, motivated Believer rather than the comic version that, for me, was at the end of the day just a ridiculously super-powered (and bleeding crazy) school-boy with a crush (also a bit of a complex over his prettier brother :P).  

Bit but he's The Mad Titan! He is not supposed to be rational!! I get it though and can see the appeal. I also understand they are going to have to deviate from the comics for the movies. Just for the amount of characters alone which were a lot easier to pencil in a comic than cast in a movie. Plus the masses want something new not just the same story on the big screen I would think. It really was a good movie. Very dark compared to all the other movies which I liked. 

7 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Bit but he's The Mad Titan! He is not supposed to be rational!! I get it though and can see the appeal. I also understand they are going to have to deviate from the comics for the movies. Just for the amount of characters alone which were a lot easier to pencil in a comic than cast in a movie. Plus the masses want something new not just the same story on the big screen I would think. It really was a good movie. Very dark compared to all the other movies which I liked. 

I mean, in the comics Thanos can reverse engineer some Celestial tech and solve complex problems, including coming up with a plan to defeat Galactus and the Beyonder... he's pretty rational, I would say. He just lacks any empathy (which is a huge difference from movie Thanos)