[OB] How will house Kholin make money

GoddessIMHO

I think the suggestion was that most of Alethkar is overrun, not just the Kholin lands; I think this will emerge more in the next book, they need to get farming going in Urithiru (or Stormseat).

Either that or have Jasnah and Shallan work non-stop soulcasting food...

@lordofsoup the impression I got was that the gemstones beneath Urithiru were all set into some kind of pillar and are part of the Urithiru fabrial.

They can tax the merchants and people living in Urithru. 

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Oathgate tariffs! 

Hmm...

“Though I was due for dinner in Veden City that night, I insisted upon visiting Kholinar to speak with Tivbet. The tariffs through Urithiru were growing quite unreasonable. By then, the so-called Radiants had already begun to show their true nature.”

- Way of Kings, Chapter 46

Edited by Spoolofwhool

This is only a short term problem until they get Kholinar sorted out.

They hold a princedom and the entire Kingdom . Elhokar was to weak to tax the other princes and enforce it properly.

Jasnah won't put up with any of that nonsense of course. Dalinar holds Urithru and they will eventually start taxing passage through Oathgates.

You could say they now have more sources of income than ever

Given Taravangian's order from Odium, and the trapping of an unmade by Dalinar, I feel like the next book will end up with Urithiru becoming more activated, possibly allowing it to start really supporting the population. I also see Shinovar becoming a priority, especially now that Szeth is there, and that could help secure their food problems.  

Just now, RShara said:

They still go on gemheart hunts.  The results are divided among the highprinces equally, and now that the Parshendi are gone, there's much less cost to getting them.

Actually that is now becoming unfeasible as there are lesser number of Chasmfiends pupating each month and the gemheart hunting may be completely stopped as both Shallan -Jasnah and Dalinar are concerned about this. They may still go ahead with Shallan's idea of breeding their own Chasmfiends though.

1 minute ago, Stromblessed said:

Actually that is now becoming unfeasible as there are lesser number of Chasmfiends pupating each month and the gemheart hunting may be completely stopped as both Shallan -Jasnah and Dalinar are concerned about this. They may still go ahead with Shallan's idea of breeding their own Chasmfiends though.

There are fewer, but even one or two a month (as opposed to one or two a week) is enough to fund expenses for a while.

I love the idea of Lightweaver plays. Thanks for the input on the other stuff. I was starting to think we had a fantasy billionaire somewhere in the back of the castle paying for all of this. They had been trading 2 for 1 on the existing gems just to get lighted gems. Of course, if Dalinar can now be used to relight duns that helps.

The Kholins lost so much plus the palace itself likely had a large treasury that is now gone.

I totally agree that Jashna is going to kick and take names.Long live the Queen!

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] How will house Kholin make money

Well they could rent out military expertise but I think the way things are going money is no longer going to matter as much as the Coalition starts pooling resources and Shards for Radients (now more and more are appearing)

But yes Sebariel has plans for trade tariffs and similar for using Oathgates. They also have a flawless gem with an unmade trapped inside (that should be good for any number of collateral.

• Chaos locked this topic