What kind of Knight Radiant will Ym be?

WitSpren

OK, the Last we saw of Ym was "Then he ran"

He is an Old Man ""Grandpa Old" according to the child he was talking to.

It is unlikely that a normal old man could out run Darkness, but we already know that Ym has already mastered "Regrowth" which according to Lift's Wyndal, is an advanced ability.     So my guess is that Ym's first ability is to RUN real fast! 

if he could "teleport" it would not say "run". 

That is assuming that he did not "die trying to run".

So what do you think and what type of KR would that make him?

I believe, though I can not find it, that the rest of the epilogue was at a reading somewhere and that the chapter actually ended with Darkness killing him after his spren said he had to use "the light". It's possible he faked his death with Illumination, given that he was Order 5, but as I recall the last line was "and his experience ended".

Edit: Oh, and the expand on the Order 5 comment, Growth is Orders 4 and 5, and his spren was nothing like Wyndle, so he had to be 5. Plus, there was the comment about "the light".

Edited by Moogle

I believe, though I can not find it, that the rest of the epilogue was at a reading somewhere and that the chapter actually ended with Darkness killing him after his spren said he had to use "the light". It's possible he faked his death with Illumination, given that he was Order 5, but as I recall the last line was "and his experience ended".

Edit: Oh, and the expand on the Order 5 comment, Growth is Orders 4 and 5, and his spren was nothing like Wyndle, so he had to be 5. Plus, there was the comment about "the light".

Moogle you are a fountain of knowledge!

Can anyone confirm this.      Were the "Readings" final versions?

I think the readings were not final but read during the Steelheart tour.  Since Brandon could just as easily have changed or eliminated Ym as change his order, it seems that his order is as certain as his existence.  Since Brandon says he is using the interludes to show us other parts of the world, it does make sense for Ym's potential order to be different.  

Can anyone confirm this.      Were the "Readings" final versions?

Here you go. Only second-hand but I can't see Ym surviving even if Brandon changes things. Darkness is not scary if the people he tries to kill don't die occasionally. (Thankfully, Brandon does not appear to be taking the route Jordan took with the Forsaken. Urgh. Built up to be terrifying, but they were so incompetent.)

Peter has confirmed that a lot of the readings were not the final versions. The stuff posted recently on Tor is final, but stuff before the Lift Interlude (like the Taravangian Interlude) is not necessarily final.

Edited by Moogle

Here you go. Only second-hand but I can't see Ym surviving even if Brandon changes things. Darkness is not scary if the people he tries to kill don't die occasionally. (Thankfully, Brandon does not appear to be taking the route Jordan took with the Forsaken. Urgh. Built up to be terrifying, but they were so incompetent.)

Well, I can't fault you about the comment Forsaken being Incompetent.    They were that as a minimum, but also complete and utter clueless fools.     Ishy being the only one that even understood what was really going on, and he was bat-rust crazy.

But I hardly put Darkness in the Forsaken class.      He is more of a clueless Darkfriend with a Cool Weapon and amazing (not understandable) intel.      I do not even put him in the Szeth class.

We do not know if Darkness even has an Honorblade (probable) or if so, what powers he gets from it.   All we know is that he apparently can hold Stormlight (Lift saw him leaking it) and he ran fast, but not fast enough to catch her.

But to me both Mister T and Darkness reek of Forsaken class cluelessness, in that they say that they are working to prevent/prepare for Desolations, but that, from what I have seen so far, is not something that they can actually accomplish.     And if they can’t do it, then they are making it easier for the Desolation to be successful.

According to the words that they are spouting, they are not working for Odium.    But their actions seem to be working for him.     Are they both “Forsaken Clueless” or are they both just spouting gibberish, for anyone who might be listening?      I think Mister T, might be doing just that.      But Darkness does not seem to be that type of guy.

That said, he might only have the abilities of growth/re-growth from the Honorblade.     Not much use in fighting other Surgebinders.    That is probably why he mostly seems to concentrate on beginners, so he has a better chance of success.

But I still have hopes of seeing more of our  "ONE of Many, Kindly Old Cobbler, Story Collector, Philosopher, Good Samaritan" Ym.       But you have put a significant dent in my hopes.

In the line of making Darkness actually do something, so he would be more threatening/competent.       I would be OK with him taking out a Somewhat advanced Surgbinder, like Jasna.       THAT would be an accomplishment that would kick him up in the story Threat Level.       Not taking out my Kindly Old Cobbler.

I don't want ro derail the thread but I think people are being a little hard on the Forsaken for their seeming ineptitude.

I always felt that the trouble with them was the classic combo of:

1/ Fighting the last war

2/ Overwhelming hubris

Remember they had woken up after 3000 odd years into a world radically changed (both socially and geographically) from when they were sealed in the bore.

They were used to the way things worked in the AoL.

Imagine a modern day 4 star general trying to conquer the world off 3000 years ago.

I admit that in the end the Forsaken were not portrayed as terribly frightening or effectual, which is a shame.

The notable exception being Demandred in AMoL who totally was what the Forsaken should've been - truly terrifying and chock full of evil badassery.

I don't want ro derail the thread but I think people are being a little hard on the Forsaken for their seeming ineptitude.

The Forsaken had access to the following:

• The ability to go invisible.
  • The ability to teleport anywhere they wanted.
  • The ability to make their magic undetectable.
  • The ability to put a Compulsion with a few seconds of work on someone that no Aes Sedai alive could detect or cure.

The fact that every world leader, general, and Aes Sedai was not under a Compulsion a week after the Forsaken arrived was poor writing on Jordan's part. He didn't consider the consequences of his magic system and made it too powerful and versatile. The Forsaken's sheer incompetence is almost incomprehensible. Ishmael's failure to kill Rand, every other Forsaken's failure to kill any of Rand's friends... it was all a little much.

And don't get me started on Demandred, who had this amazing buildup, only to randomly decide that he should duel people multiple times for funsies. The sheer hubris and idiocy is almost unimaginable. I understand the Forsaken had character flaws, but these idiots held the world by the throat? No. I can't believe that. The world was different before 'modern' Wheel of Time times, but each Forsaken was essentially a walking nuclear bomb. They should have dealt with the primitive world of Rand's time without any effort required. They didn't.

I enjoyed the Wheel of Time. But the magic system was just this constant glaring plot hole for me, and the Forsaken were just terrible.

Edited by Moogle

The Forsaken had access to the following:

• The ability to go invisible.
  • The ability to teleport anywhere they wanted.
  • The ability to make their magic undetectable.
  • The ability to put a Compulsion with a few seconds of work on someone that no Aes Sedai alive could detect or cure.

The fact that every world leader, general, and Aes Sedai was not under a Compulsion within a week after the Forsaken arrived was poor writing on Jordan's part. He didn't consider the consequences of his magic system and made it too powerful and versatile. The Forsaken's sheer incompetence is almost incomprehensible. Ishmael's failure to kill Rand, every other Forsaken's failure to kill any of Rand's friends... it was all a little much.

And don't get me started on Demandred, who had this amazing buildup, only to randomly decide that he should duel people multiple times for funsies. The sheer hubris and idiocy is almost unimaginable. I understand the Forsaken had character flaws, but these idiots held the world by the throat? No. I can't believe that. The world was different before 'modern' Wheel of Time times, but each Forsaken was essentially a walking nuclear bomb. They should have dealt with the primitive world of Rand's time without any effort required. They didn't.

I enjoyed the Wheel of Time. But the magic system was just this constant glaring plot hole for me, and the Forsaken were just terrible.

Spot ON!!!             But don't kill my Cobbler!!!

What kind of Radiant will Ym be?

Unfortunately, probably a dead one.

Darkness seems to be a very thorough character. He caught Lift and she seemed to be much more adept at using her powers than Ym

I'm not sure if I agree with that.    Lift only just used her advanced Surge (Growth and then Re-growth) for the first times in her current POV.      Ym appears to have been using the Regrowth for a while.     So his first ability (Running super fast - I hope) should be well practiced like Lifts (anti-friction).

But I am somewhat (slightly) resolved to be disappointed, since being "enlighteded" by Moogle.     I even presented that posability in the original post.

By the was - If he was killed (Still hope not), but if he was - can his Spren go bond to someone else?     & how much will he remember from Ym?        Does it depend on how long it takes him to find another?        That would be my guess.

P.S.    I never did consider Darkness to be a Szeth level assassan.       So he does not need to kill Ym to "prove" himself.     But if he did "upgrade" and kill Jasna (or at least try) or start going after the other "Big Guys" Kal, Delinar, Adolin, Selidas, I would seriously consider him a much greater threat.

He just seems too "cool" in a bad way to be wasted on "Newbies".

Edited by WitSpren

• Chaos locked this topic