• Hoid
    • Lift
    • Hoid and Lift
    • Elhokar's wife
    • Radiant candidates
    • Elsecaller Squires
    • All of the above
    • Other (speak up in the comments!)

The fact that Sanderson didn't include any details about the group that arrived with Jasnah makes sense. For one, Shallan wouldn't care about anyone else but Jasnah, so from her POV it makes sense she wouldn't notice specifics amongst the others. It also makes for a crappy cliffhanger if the sentence reads, "At the head of the group of two squires, the Queen of Alethkar, Vivenna, the King's Wit, a girl who was clearly awesome, and a couple of random kandra, was Jasnah Kholin."

That being said, I have a feeling that at least one important person has joined Jasnah on her trip to Urithiru. I have a feeling that the group with her will end up being some of her Squires. Post a thought in the comments if you agree or disagree!

Edited by Isaiah Zayth

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] The Group that Showed up with Jasnah
3 minutes ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

It also makes for a crappy cliffhanger if the sentence reads, "At the head of the group of two squires, the Queen of Alethkar, Vivenna, the King's Wit, a girl who was clearly awesome, and a couple of random kandra, was Jasnah Kholin."

Crappy cliffhanger?

That would, quite literally, be the greatest cliffhanger in the history of cliffhangers.

To the point where I'd bounce around to every bookstore within hundreds of miles until I found someone willing to give me the book early.

I’d say it’s eithet Hoid/Lift, Hoid, or no one. 

Adolin didn’t show up with Jasnah, but he preceded her to Shallan. So it’s entirely possible, probable even, that Jasnah’s companions are people swarming her since she arrived in Urithiru. Possibly including her mother, step father, brother, and her other step brother too. 

4 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Crappy cliffhanger?

That would, quite literally, be the greatest cliffhanger in the history of cliffhangers.

To the point where I'd bounce around to every bookstore within hundreds of miles until I found someone willing to give me the book early.

In terms of plot development, yes. In terms of taking away from the fact that Jasnah is back... I think it would be a little over the top. :P

Also, I read that sentence like Chris from Parks and Rec.

giphy.gif 

Possibly including her mother, step father, brother, and her other step brother too. 

Great point. This is probably the most likely situation, but a guy can dream.

Edited by Isaiah Zayth

4 minutes ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

In terms of plot development, yes. In terms of taking away from the fact that Jasnah is back... I think it would be a little over the top. :P

Great point. This is probably the most likely situation, but a guy can dream.

I agree that Jasnah is the likely only new arrival, mainly because Adolin says "someone" just arrived at the tower, which is singular. It makes sense that Jasnah's family would be motivated to stick close to her now upon learning that she's alive.

1. Where exactly is she coming from? I did not picture her traveling from the west, so I think picking up Lift along the way seems unlikely.

2. Aren't squires just a Windrunner thing? Perhaps she's picked up some other proto-Radiants, but squires in the Windrunner sense seems unlikely as well.

3. I certainly hope Hoid is with her, but we know that Wit has a tendency to come and go as he pleases...

7 minutes ago, treblkickd said:

I agree that Jasnah is the likely only new arrival, mainly because Adolin says "someone" just arrived at the tower, which is singular. 

He would probably not find people like Lift or Vivenna worthy of mention in that situation though. He doesn't know anything about them, and the important thing to him and Shallan is that Jasnah lives. 

Personally, I don't think Jasnah has Lift or Vivenna with her. Hoid is possible though, maybe a new Radiant, but not more.

I want to see Mraizes face when learning of Jasnahs return though. 

I believe there is a WOB that says Jasnah arrived from Shadesmar in the Unclaimed Hills at the end of WOR. This would put her starting point between Alethkar and the Shattered Plains. I doubt she would pick up Lift from there.

I wonder if she arrived in Urithiru via the Narak oathgate? If so, did she travel by foot/caravan along with people from the war camps, or did she transport herself there? If she transported, can she bring others with her? If not, she probably came alone.

Or, did she go to Kholinar and open the oathgate from there? I doubt this is likely, because someone would have noticed the Kholinar oathgate opening and alerted Shallan before Jasnah walked in the room. That said, if she did open the Kholinar gate, I could see her bringing Aesudan and Elhokar Jr. (do we know his name?)

I am leaning towards Jasnah's entourage being people already in Urithiru, like her family, servants, people carrying books, etc.

16 minutes ago, duladen said:

1. Where exactly is she coming from? I did not picture her traveling from the west, so I think picking up Lift along the way seems unlikely.

2. Aren't squires just a Windrunner thing? Perhaps she's picked up some other proto-Radiants, but squires in the Windrunner sense seems unlikely as well.

3. I certainly hope Hoid is with her, but we know that Wit has a tendency to come and go as he pleases...

1. She Elsecalled somewhere into the Unclaimed Hills, so depending on location, she'd be closest to either the Stormseat or Kholinar oathgate. My guess is that she used Stormseat (Shattered Plains) as I don't expect to see Kholinar until parts 4 & 5. Yeah, Lift is probably not with her.
  2. WoB is that Windrunners have more and stronger squires than other orders, but other orders do have them. Some don't have any though. I doubt she'll have any squires with her.
  3. I'll be sad if there's no Hoid.

14 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I want to see Mraize's face when learning of Jasnah's return though. 

I'll second that. Wonder if Mraize will ask/manipulate/threaten Shallan to spy on Jasnah. After all, he claims to have Shallan's brothers and there's nothing about Mraize that strikes me as honorable. 

10 minutes ago, Salkara said:
  1. She Elsecalled somewhere into the Unclaimed Hills, so depending on location, she'd be closest to either the Stormseat or Kholinar oathgate. My guess is that she used Stormseat (Shattered Plains) as I don't expect to see Kholinar until parts 4 & 5. Yeah, Lift is probably not with her.
  2. WoB is that Windrunners have more and stronger squires than other orders, but other orders do have them. Some don't have any though. I doubt she'll have any squires with her.
  3. I'll be sad if there's no Hoid.

Thanks for the answers. I thought she had returned to the PR somewhere in the east but couldn't remember specifically. Also, good to know there's that WOB on squires.

and yes... I will be so bummed if we don't get Hoid at Urithiru!

9 minutes ago, duladen said:

Thanks for the answers. I thought she had returned to the PR somewhere in the east but couldn't remember specifically. Also, good to know there's that WOB on squires.

and yes... I will be so bummed if we don't get Hoid at Urithiru!

WoB:

Question

In the Epilogue of Words of Radiance, Jasnah is talking with Hoid and Hoid mentions a nearby village. Is it Hearthstone?

Brandon Sanderson

No it is not. Good question. Because they're out in the Unclaimed Hills somewhere. They're not even in Alethkar.

Yeah I also assumed it was people already there and not travel companions. Specifically not Hoid since I think Shallan would have mentioned Wit. So I have been wondering how Jasnah would get there ever since someone proposed that she would arrive in another thread. The cool way would be that she found and opened another Oathgate. 

im not certain why anyone thinks it matters where she was coming from and who she could have run into along the way.

Shes an Elsecaller!! She dosent have to take a path to or from anywhere and wouldnt meet anyone "on the way". She would be specifically going to them. 

2212222.jpg.967af88f5657c9ba1a399345e08e7dc7.jpg

Edited by ChazBolt

1 hour ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

After all, he [Mraize] claims to have Shallan's brothers

Mraize doesn't "have" Shallan's brothers. Although he implies he can reach them. He tells Shallan that he won't do anything with them, that they are a gift to her. This is from WoR, although I don't have the exact quote. It's at the end, when she meets him in Urithiru during exploration.

I think she has to have come through an oathgate. Either the one on the shattered plains, or maybe she opened the one in New Natanan (there is one there right?). If she could Elsecall directly to Urithiru wouldn't she have done that previously and not been so concerned with finding the path to Urithiru on the shattered plains? So my thought is she came through an oathgate. Hopefully she came with Hoid since he found her when she came back to the PR in the epilogue to WOR. I think i agree with others who think she is likely surrounded by family and people she knows since they would have swarmed her thinking she was dead.

I can't believe we have to still wait one more week! Gah!!!! 

I think Hoid left Jasnah at some point during their journey. It would be quite the tale indeed if Hoid traveled for several weeks with Jasnah haha. Once they finished sharing information and Hoid annoyed Jasnah enough, I would guess he simply left to go do other Hoid-y things.

My guess is Jasnah simply arrived with a group of people from the warcamps. She might not have known how to operate the Oathgate or simply did not want to reveal herself as a Radiant to the masses.

5 minutes ago, Govir said:

Mraize doesn't "have" Shallan's brothers. Although he implies he can reach them. He tells Shallan that he won't do anything with them, that they are a gift to her. This is from WoR, although I don't have the exact quote. It's at the end, when she meets him in Urithiru during exploration.

I may be off, but i thought in the in the Oathbringer chapter where Shallan talks to Mraize he implies he has them by saying something like his people have rescued them. 

24 minutes ago, Govir said:

15 minutes ago, gbazz4 said:

I may be off, but i thought in the in the Oathbringer chapter where Shallan talks to Mraize he implies he has them by saying something like his people have rescued them. 

He tells her that his people are in contact with her brothers and they are currently taking her brothers to Urithiru. But my question is this: do you guys actually trust a man like him?

I don’t for one minute expect him to treat Shallan fairly if she starts getting in his way. Don’t forget that the Davars still owe the Ghostbloods a soul caster and (potentially) a shard blade (if Shallan’s eldest brother did indeed “borrow” that blade from the Ghostbloods and they want to extract the price from those still alive). Even if Shallan has worked towards paying that debt down, Mraize is a man with a chicken.

Never trust a man with a chicken.

Edited by Isaiah Zayth

Hoid knows when and where something important will occur.  Either he stayed with Jasnah or he left because he was needed elsewhere.  

Assuming that they stayed together, what useful things could have happened between the Unclaimed Hills and Urithiru?

1. Find another budding Radiant

2. Go to Kholinar, saving or killing the queen, as needed, but saving the Royal heir.  But why not communicate from Kholinar in this case?

3. Visit the monastery of Radiant secrets (where tWoK and dawnchant were preserved).  

4. Pick up a 17th Sharder like Nazh.  This could be good, but I think the 17th Sharder are already here.

5. Intercept Shallan's family

Anyway, we're almost halfway through the first quintet, so it seems like time for a big info-dump council meeting.  I hope it's Jasnah, Hoid and a 17th Sharder if needed.  The phrasing "several other people" implies to me that they are more than just Jasnah and Hoid.

Edited by hoser

31 minutes ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

Never trust a man with a chicken.

What if the man is a farmer?

26 minutes ago, hoser said:

2. Go to Kholinar, saving or killing the queen, as needed, but saving the Royal heir.  But why not communicate from Kholinar in this case?

Hoid doesn't kill people.