• Lift
    • Hoid and Lift
    • Elhokar's wife
    • Radiant candidates
    • Elsecaller Squires
    • All of the above
    • Other (speak up in the comments!)

42 minutes ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

He tells her that his people are in contact with her brothers and they are currently taking her brothers to Urithiru. But my question is this: do you guys actually trust a man like him?

"Your house is no more," Mraize said. "Your family's grounds seized by a passing army. I rescued your brothers from the chaos of the succession war, and am bringing them here. Your family, however, does owe me a debt. One Soulcaster. Broken."

"No blackmail," Mraize said. "They will arrive safe. A gift to you. You may wait upon my words and see. I mention your debt only so that it has a chance to fine...purchase in your mind."

As much as I dislike Mraize, he has so far shown himself to be Lawful Evil (roughly). When he says her brothers will arrive safe, I believe him. Once they arrive, I could see them being used as leverage though. So while he doesn't "have" them (i.e. they're not captive), I do think it's possible to still threaten harm to them once they arrive in Urithiru*.

*As an aside, Urithiru becomes easy to remember how to spell when you remember it's symmetric (and that th counts as a single letter).

Ooh, ooh, ooh!  It probably won't happen, but ...

wouldn't it be awesome if a Herald (I know that they are all insane, but one that is capable of some coherent conversation, ... please, pretty please) showed up?

48 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

I like to imagine Jasnah walking into the throne room of some monarch, not speak a word, activate the oathgate, and walk out the door to Urithiru. All while the monarch and his retinue go from asking why she is here, to asking what just happened. 

I have decided I also like imagining this.

Edited by Isaiah Zayth

5 hours ago, ChazBolt said:

im not certain why anyone thinks it matters where she was coming from and who she could have run into along the way.

Shes an Elsecaller!! She dosent have to take a path to or from anywhere and wouldnt meet anyone "on the way". She would be specifically going to them. 

I wonder if she can transport herself to a place she's never been before? Can she look at a place on a map and instantly go there? Somehow I doubt it, but I look forward to seeing how Elsecalling works exactly. At the very least, I hope she doesn't chop people in half when her swirly portal opens. 

14 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

I think Mraize is currently in a tough position. Jasnah arriving puts the GB at risk of discovery, assasination and potentially losing their KR member who was starting to integrate into the group. Whatever he does, Jasnah means nothing but bad news for him. 

Mraize seems like the type of character who would have a backup plan for Jasnah's reappearance. I think it's possible he may try to come to an agreement with her. I expect Jasnah to have grown after her recent experiences, so maybe she'd be open to an accommodation with Mraize.

One of the reasons I'm excited for Jasnah's arrival is that she seemed to know more about the Ghostbloods than we did, and I'm hoping she'll share some of it this time.

1 hour ago, Salkara said:

Mraize seems like the type of character who would have a backup plan for Jasnah's reappearance. I think it's possible he may try to come to an agreement with her. I expect Jasnah to have grown after her recent experiences, so maybe she'd be open to an accommodation with Mraize.

One of the reasons I'm excited for Jasnah's arrival is that she seemed to know more about the Ghostbloods than we did, and I'm hoping she'll share some of it this time.

Do we have any reason to believe Mraize has offered Jasnah a position amongst the Ghostbloods in the past? Jasnah has used assassins against members opposing her family, which means she wouldn't be against the Ghostbloods because of their methods, but because of their message. This indicates she may have interacted with someone high up in the organization (perhaps even Mraize himself) and turned them down when they offered her the position.

As an aside, Shallan is affiliated with the Ghostbloods out of the need for information, but I don't think she would have taken such a position if she knew Jasnah was still alive. If Jasnah and Shallan had arrived at the Shattered Plains together, I believe they would have sought out Mraize and his people to eradicate them, not join them. If Shallan associates closely with Jasnah (which she probably will), I think Shallan loses her position overnight if Jasnah ends up being hostile to the Ghostbloods. It's a very convoluted situation that has a lot of potential outcomes, very few of them positive.

23 hours ago, ChazBolt said:

im not certain why anyone thinks it matters where she was coming from and who she could have run into along the way.

Shes an Elsecaller!! She dosent have to take a path to or from anywhere and wouldnt meet anyone "on the way". She would be specifically going to them. 

I agree,  I would think that only the lack of stormlight would have kept her from being able to Elsecall to where she wanted to go.   There is the fact that she did not know where Urithiru was, and we do not know enough yet to know if that is required to elsecall or not. 
I agree that she probably came alone and the group are everyone there caught in her wake when she arrived. 

Concerning Shallans brothers: Mraizes minions saved the Davar bros and are bringing them to Urithiru. So yes, if Mraize wants to, he can kill or torture them. I think he was honest when he promised that Shallan would get them back safe and unharmed, but Jasnahs arrival might have changed that. 

I don't think Shallan will turn on the Ghostbloods though. Not directly.

20 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

I like to imagine Jasnah walking into the throne room of some monarch, not speak a word, activate the oathgate, and walk out the door to Urithiru. All while the monarch and his retinue go from asking why she is here, to asking what just happened. 

Unfortunately I think the only remotely nearby Oathgates to where we last saw Jasnah (the Unclaimed Hills) are in Kholinar and the Shattered Plains.  

On 07/11/2017 at 5:36 PM, Erunion said:

I’d say it’s eithet Hoid/Lift, Hoid, or no one. 

Adolin didn’t show up with Jasnah, but he preceded her to Shallan. So it’s entirely possible, probable even, that Jasnah’s companions are people swarming her since she arrived in Urithiru. Possibly including her mother, step father, brother, and her other step brother too. 

That moment when you realise Jasnah's cousins are actually her step-brothers :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, mariapapadia said:

That moment when you realise Jasnah's cousins are actually her step-brothers :ph34r:

Yeah!  Right up there with realizing that she may not think her mother is good enough for her uncle.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:10 PM, Govir said:

*As an aside, Urithiru becomes easy to remember how to spell when you remember it's symmetric (and that th counts as a single letter).

I was so happy when I figured that out too! It now comes up automatically on my phone after the first 2 letters. I also noticed that the first word to pop up now when I type the letter “V” is “voidbringers”.  Even my phone is becoming a cosmereanaut. 

Sorry guys to disappoint us all but

Play/Pause

Questioner 1

Does Wit go to-- uh... what's that one place in The Way of Kings... The one place they go to, aft... The end of the book. Uh, I can't remember it now. *someone suggests something* The city they go to at the very end.

Brandon Sanderson

Of Way of Kings?

Questioner 1

Not Way of Kings, uh...

Questioner 2

Words of Radiance.

Questioner 1

Words of Radiance, yes. Does Wit go there?

Brandon Sanderson

Radiance. Urithiru?

Questioner 1

Urithiru! Does Wit go to Urithiru?

Brandon Sanderson

By the time that a certain somebody at the end shows up there. Wit is no longer with her, and nobody knows where he went.

Questioner 3

Oh, he disappeared again! *others comment*

Brandon Sanderson

He tends to do that. What's that? So Wit has been lost. He will show up at some point in the book... But yes, he will at least have the Epilogue.

And thus, my poll was destroyed, falling to the earth like a Windrunner forsaken by the sky.

With that WoB I think it’s pretty safe to assume Jasnah arrived alone and the people with her are just family and friends.  I’m still holding on to the idea that she picked up some people along the way - hoping they’ll be squires or potential Radiants - but I’m thinking the chances are low. 

Edited by Isaiah Zayth