Steeldancer

Dragonsteel chapter(s)

118 posts in this topic

Brandon just released a chapter of Dragonsteel prime Here. Check it out! Let's SPECULATE.

Also I don't know if this goes in unpublished or something... if I'm wrong just tell me. beware of Liar of Partinel chapter spoilers, and none of this is canon. 

Ok first off, lightweaving from the Sho Del. Cool stuff. I'm not sure whether its actually solid objects here. 

Second, FROST!! obviously what's redacted must be about his dragon background or something. 

Third, Dragonsteel. I wonder if it's Adonalsiums metal. Hmmm. 

Caste marks, the shattered plains, bridge 4 all are obviously in Stormlight now. 

I'm going to speculate that the Sho Del might be remnants of Fainlife. See the Liar of Partinel chapters for more clarification on what that was. (Basically an evil moss). 

Ok chapter two is Here, and chapter 3 is here, and chapter 4 is Here.

Edited by Steeldancer
8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was cool to see that Gaz was taken basically straight outta Dragonsteel. 

Pools were mentioned where the metal grows--definitely reminds me of Atium. I wonder how it's procured now if there's no Shattered Plains and battles against the Sho Del.

Also, Sho Del reminds me of something from Elantris, but I may just be remembering familiar sounds, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Frost! Nice to finally meet you.

You can see Brandon's improvement in writing clear as day, and I think that's pretty cool. Other than that, the bridge run was almost exactly the same in Dragonsteel and Way of Kings (with a few minor differences).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I'm going to speculate that the Sho Del might be remnants of Fainlife. See the Liar of Partinel chapters for more clarification on what that was. (Basically an evil moss). 

I'll agree with you there, since I don't think they ever figure out how to destroy fain life. Brandon, when he was releasing Liar sample chapters:

Quote

In worldbuilding this, I  realized that I missed a big opportunity in Dragonsteel Prime by not dealing with fainlife all that much.  It was a powerful world element that got mostly ignored.  By writing a book here, where I can slam a city in to the middle of the fain assault--before people learned really how to keep the alien landscape back--I think I’ll be able to focus more on the setting. 

[source]

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I never thought this would see the light of day! Really interesting to see confirmation that dragons can take human form in the Cosmere. Definitely seeing the Sho Del as a natural progression from Fain life...Hopefully we get more, but thinking we won't get much. Even though a lot of stuff got poached to make Stormlight, there's bound to be tons of spoilery late game Cosmere stuff in here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we allowed to discuss Dragonsteel prime in its entirety? I have read it, but I don't want to break any rules or reveal something Brandon doesn't want revealed...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foundation said:

Are we allowed to discuss Dragonsteel prime in its entirety? I have read it, but I don't want to break any rules or reveal something Brandon doesn't want revealed...

Nope. The only unpublished content we can discuss is the one that's either directly accessible from Brandon's website, or the two White Sand (prose) / Aether of Night available via both a forum request and Brandon's email. Stuff people can reliably get their hands on in a reasonably time frame, in other words.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Argent said:

Nope. The only unpublished content we can discuss is the one that's either directly accessible from Brandon's website, or the two White Sand (prose) / Aether of Night available via both a forum request and Brandon's email. Stuff people can reliably get their hands on in a reasonably time frame, in other words.

Thanks for letting me know! I won't say anything then!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible for me get my hands on Dragonsteel somehow?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Foundation said:

Thanks for letting me know! I won't say anything then!

You can talk about what's in the chapter. Which gives us all sorts of juicy tidbits.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

 

Second, FROST!! obviously what's redacted must be about his dragon background or something. 

My thinking as well. The full quote being:

Quote

Frost sighed, looking out over the Shattered Plains. The sight was familiar to him; though, admittedly, [REDACTED]. 

I was thinking something to the effect of "though, admittedly, not from land" or "not from this angle."

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bean Delphiki said:

Is it possible for me get my hands on Dragonsteel somehow?

I believe there's a few copies of Dragonsteel Prime on hand at BYU's library... so take a vacation to Provo, UT when one isn't checked out or on hold? I haven't followed the library's site very much, but I'd guess that's a rare occurrence.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...I wonder if this Sho Del illusion magic is the same as the Lightweaving Hoid uses. Would that make him be from Tzern? 

It seems like the Sho Del and the humans both have access to the magic but that it's taboo for the humans. I wonder if that in any way translates into Way of Kings.

Interesting that dragons are so legendary...I guess Frost and the other dragons like him are in hiding in their human forms.

Edited by Rider of Storms
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:

Hmmm...I wonder if this Sho Del illusion magic is the same as the Lightweaving Hoid uses. Would that make him be from Tzern? 

It seems like the Sho Del and the humans both have access to the magic but that it's taboo for the humans. I wonder if that in any way translates into Way of Kings.

Interesting that dragons are so legendary...I guess Frost and the other dragons like him are in hiding in their human forms.

I assume it is the same lightweaving, but I we know Hoid is human. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steeldancer said:

I assume it is the same lightweaving, but I we know Hoid is human. 

I know Hoid is human. Are the Tzern not human? Maybe I missed something...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rider of Storms said:

I know Hoid is human. Are the Tzern not human? Maybe I missed something...

Oh I thought you meant Sho Del. 

Basically my feeling is that I'm not emotionally invested in the Bridges. They feel... meh. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Dragonsteel where the Vessels come from? Anyone who thinks we see one of them in this chapter?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Isn't Dragonsteel where the Vessels come from? Anyone who thinks we see one of them in this chapter?

I think the main character might be one. Admittedly, his name might have changed. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ZenBossanova said:

Is Jerick the same person as Hoid? 

No. He's different. 

Hoid  (I think) is featured in other parts of the story. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2017 at 8:57 PM, Salkara said:

I believe there's a few copies of Dragonsteel Prime on hand at BYU's library... so take a vacation to Provo, UT when one isn't checked out or on hold? I haven't followed the library's site very much, but I'd guess that's a rare occurrence.

Any chance there is an online copy or pdf of Dragonsteel. I'm from Europe so no chance of getting the book from the library :(

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerick's in the spot of Kaladin where the bridge crews are concerned...did he get renamed and moved or left behind in favor of a new similar character?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

No. He's different. 

Hoid  (I think) is featured in other parts of the story. 

Isn't "Topaz" a known alias of Hoid?  If so, then Jerick sees an illusion of him in the second chapter

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, anna said:

Isn't "Topaz" a known alias of Hoid?  If so, then Jerick sees an illusion of him in the second chapter

Wait a second <_< I missed that. He must have met topaz earlier. Yes, topaz is Hoid. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least they gave Jerick a vest. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.