[OB] The book Oathbringer on Roshar theories.

eveorjoy

I want to talk about the Preface of Oathbringer, and not the one with Eshonai, that’s a prologue anyway. What does this Preface tell us about where Stormlight Archive is going, Roshar, and the author?

Let’s list all we have so far here. I will put my comments under each and all said comments are speculation.

Chapter 1

I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist.

—From Oathbringer, preface

When this was released last week my only thought was, "So Oathbringer is a book in world. Cool." Now I think this is a book written after the events of SA3. I think the book is about Dalinar, who is the Oathbringer. Or it could be about the sword and the events around Sadeas death. Either way, Navani, Shallah, or Jasnah wrote this.

Once again the prelude quote fits the chapter. Many would think Dalinar’s visions should not exist.

Chapter 2

I needed to write it anyway.

This tells me two things. One, people did not want this record of truth to be written, but it needed to be. The other thing it suggests is that Sadeas's death was not the smarted action, but it needed to be done. I think even those fans who condemn Adolin for his actions wouldn’t care if he had killed Sadeas in the arena or on the battlefield. Sadeas did need to be removed, the method just may not have been the best

Chapter 3 didn’t have a prelude. Think this has been the case for all flashback chapters.

Chapter 4

I know that many women who read this will see it only as further proof that I am the godless heretic everyone claims.

It still suggests Navani, Shallan, or Jasnah, however, this statement feels more like Jasnah. Both Navani and Shallan are on the path to excommunication for heresy because of their association with Dalinar and the KR. The Devotories and Ardentia do not like what Dalinar is saying and doing. I think marrying Navani was the last straw.

However, neither Shallan nor Navani have denied god at all. Only Jasnah holds her head high and wears the mantle of an atheist heretic proudly. This author holds no shame in her condemnation. This prelude screams Jasnah.

Chapter 5

I can point to the moment when I decided for certain this record had to be written. I hung between realms, seeing into Shadesmar—the realm of the spren—and beyond.

This quote makes it clear only a KR wrote Oathbringer. Navani could not see into Shadesmar and hang between the two realms. Shallah could, but the writer's voice does not sound like Shallah. So more proof that the author is Jasnah.

This also suggests it was written after the events in SA3. The author was contemplating their situation and felt some honest record of the events needed to be written.

Chapter 6

I thought that I was surely dead. Certainly, some who saw further than I did thought I had fallen.

If you read the extra Jasnah chapter, she did worry she would die until she jumped all the way into Shadesmar. And her family, including Renarin who can see the future, thought she died. So this quote I think removes all doubt that if the book is written after the events of SA3 Jasnah is the author.

So, from what we have so far I conclude the in world Oathbringer was written sometime after the events of SA3 by Jasnah. Also, the reason it was written was to have an honest account of this period.

Now, I further speculate that this was written to vindicate Dalinar’s choices at the refounding of the KR during the end of the previous civilization. The world as it was has ended and a new world is being formed by Dalinar and Taravagain’s actions, along with the new conflict with the awakened enemy.

I also worry that this was written after Dalinar’s death. That doesn’t mean he will die in SA3. The in-world Oathbringer could have been written twenty years after these events. We don’t have a date. Still, it is a concern.

I’m sure my opinions will change as we get more chapters from part one of SA3. I will likely talk about them as well in this thread as they come out.

Thoughts? Who do you think wrote the Oathbringer of Roshar and why did they write it?

8 minutes ago, Hafrigado said:

Jasnah seems like the obvious choice..... and that makes me think it's someone else. This is Brandon Sanderson. But I don't think I can say who else it might be right now...... Oh! Wait!

It could be Stick!

Sometimes an author will throw red herrings in the readers path, but sometimes he will leave the odvious as odvious. This book has so much mystery around it that making an author be someone out of left field seems too much. I think having the author be someone other than Shallan or Jasnah would not have the same impact. 

The quote people are saying points to Jasnah because she's a heretic is exactly the quote that I believe rules her out completely. Jasnah proclaims herself as a heretic. Proudly. No one needs "further proof" that she is a heretic (she'll claim it herself to your face if you ask), and she does not care that they think of her that way regardless.

There's no way Jasnah wrote that line.

Also, it could easily be Dalinar or Renarin, too. Both of them could fit if it's written after future events. Dalinar claims God is dead, a heresy. Renarin can see the future, another heresy. Plus, men can write books, too. Gavilar basically wrote his accounts of meeting the Parshendi. They simply do it by dictating to a scribe instead of writing it by their own hand. We can't rule out male authors.

Considering this is Dalinar's book, he is the most obvious author in my mind and Jasnah is not even a possibility.

I like your reasoning, but I don't think there is definitive proof that it is Jasnah. My personal preference is Dalinar. 

This

Sounds so much like Dalinar. He doesn't care what people think and could have written Oathbringer "because it felt right" (we have seen Dalinar use this exact phrase when talking to Kaladin) despite outside pressures.

And this

I know that many women who read this will see it only as further proof that I am the godless heretic everyone claims.

seems could be Jasnah, except she IS a self proclaimed heretic, and "everyone" does not need more "proof". Dalinar seems to be cultivating a reputation with the rest of the world as a "godless heretic", and if he wrote it - being a man - then that would be more grounds to be a heretic. 

I can point to the moment when I decided for certain this record had to be written. I hung between realms, seeing into Shadesmar—the realm of the spren—and beyond.

I thought that I was surely dead. Certainly, some who saw further than I did thought I had fallen.

Finally, A common speculation is that Dalinar is one of the main characters to die. The quote above could be talking about that instant. He gets killed, goes to shadesmar, and then is saved. No one would anticipate this. Having this quote be about Jasnah's death would be strange as we have already seen it, and it could be argues that Renarin or any other Truthwatchers had not developed their sight at that time. That said I don't think we can rule out either until we have more information. 

In the chapter 4-6 thread I've stated that I think Renarin is the author of the book. I'll lay out why here in contrast to your thoughts on Jasnah who I originally thought was the author. 

I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist.

Why would anyone feel threatened by the books mere existence? I can only think of two options. 

First, the subject matter, which as we are still at the preface has not been addressed. I agree it's most likely about Dalinar and the visions, which the Ardentia would see as a threat due to the implications towards the Almighty. 

If that is the extent of it, why would anyone beyond Dalinar have a need to feel Vindicated? This is why I think a man is writing the book. Women and traditionalists would feel threatened by their professions being opened to the other gender, and by the breaking of Vorin gender roles respectively. This would further incense the Ardentia beyond just the subject matter.

Rhiose who feel that those gender roles are outdated or oppressive would have reason to feel vindication. 

The majority of people will just think a man should not have written a book. 

Whatever he's seen that can add to the visions is necessary to be shared in his view. 

As @Ansalem pointed out, this line implies that people claim the person is a Heretic, while the author themselves does not consider themselves such. This does not fit with Jasnah.

The line drawing attention to women as readers is also unnecessary unless the author is not in fact female. Otherwise, why would anyone assume the reader is anything other than female, or an ardent, who are considered genderless. 

Renarin's foresight is bound to mark him as a heretic. He will be called one for his membership in the Radiants themselves, and especially for claiming to see the future. 

This was the moment I decided it was Renarin. We don't know the extent of Truthwatcher abilities yet, but when have Jasnah or Shallan seen "Beyond" Shadesmar? 

Truthwatchers see. 

I don't know what this is in reference to, but again the reference to sight. 

"those who saw further than I did." 

I don't believe these things fit with Jasnah at all. 

Edited by Calderis
Typos and clarification

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

The line drawing attention to women as readers is also unnecessary unless the author is not in fact female. Otherwise, why would anyone assume the reader is anything other than female, or an ardent, who are considered genderless. 

I don't believe this line implies the author thinks the reader might be a man. 

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

the main information we can extrapolate is the vorinism of the writer, only in the vorin country read and write is a women thing. this bar a real ancient book too (like WotK and WoR). i don't think can be nor dalinar nor a 'modern' character beacuse how you can ignore surgebinder, voidbringer and everstorm?

Edited by Fulminato

1 minute ago, Fulminato said:

the main information we can extrapolate is the vorinism of the writer, only in the vorin country only the women can read and write. this bar a real ancient book too (like WotK and WoR). i don't think can be nor dalinar nor a actual character beacuse how you can ignore surgebinder, voidbringer and everstorm?

We're still in the preface of the book. If one of the characters wrote it, and this is all part of the books subject matter, the preface is a preamble before the actual subject. 

My first instinct was Navani, and I'm sticking with it.

Quoting myself from another topic: 

Mentioning Shadesmar so soon seems like too obvious a hint for Jasnah, so it's probably a head fake.

Navani is described as writing her memoirs early in Chapter 4, and may not be on the godless heretic level of Jasnah, but she is SURELY getting there, at least in the views of others.  Plus with Navani's connection to all the Radiants popping up, her seeing into or visiting Shadesmar (even without being a Radiant herself) is well within the realm of possibility.

And to add to that, it sounds like the in-world Oathbringer is going to be about what Dalinar sees or his new ideals.  (In other words, something relating to his new KR this is how we save the world philosophy.)  Navani is not just in prime position to write such a book, but is a scholar herself. 

I'm going to go left field on this.

Amaram, Restares, or another member of the Sons of Honour - the founder perhaps.  We have already seen that the Sons have their own written language using the phonetics of the glyphs.  They are trying to bring back the Radiants and the Voidbringers, which could be considered quite heretical.  But they feel the need to do it anyway.

So definitely a male writer, otherwise the comment about female readers would be unnecessary.

The only other option I can really see would be Szeth writing it, as part of his rebuilding himself.  He was likely mostly dead for long enough to see into Shadesmar, and he definitely thought he was dead.  Then saved by Nale, arguably someone who can see farther than he can.

So those are my bets.  It is either the tome/mission statement written by the founder of the Sons of Honour that will give the logic for why people join up and think ending the world will save it, or it is a contemporary journal written by Szeth, post Oath-stone.

Brandon mentioned in an interview that he can do a "fake out" with someones death 1 time for each major character before death looses its meaning. That being said he already gave us a death "fake out" with Jasnah. This being the case I find it hard that he would intentionally mislead us again this drastically when the knee jerk choice for the author is Jasnah.  So I am in the Jasnah camp for the author of Oathbringer. However I do like the Renarin theory and that would be my second choice.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

We're still in the preface of the book. If one of the characters wrote it, and this is all part of the books subject matter, the preface is a preamble before the actual subject. 

the preface talk about the content of the book, if the writer tell "I can point to the moment when I decided for certain this record had to be written", the word 'record' mean some thing had real happened. and the author think many just think the book simply 'non exist'. i had hard time to figure someone can forget the record of one person so involved in the last desolation, can be (but i fell improbable) the jasnah's journey in the realm of the spren after the (nearly succeded) assassination attemp on the "wind's pleasure"

1 minute ago, asterion137 said:

A gender neutral statement would be incorrect, since only women can read.

No it wouldn't. In a society in which only women are allowed to read, the assumption would be that only women are reading the book, and make a blatant comment like this completely unnecessary. 

It would be like me saying "I know that many Humans who read my posts may be annoyed at my tone." 

What's the point of including it in the first place? 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

No it wouldn't. In a society in which only women are allowed to read, the assumption would be that only women are reading the book, and make a blatant comment like this completely unnecessary. 

It would be like me saying "I know that many Humans who read my posts may be annoyed at my tone." 

What's the point of including it in the first place? 

Practicing for your inevitable submission to your robot overlords? That way when they take over and read everything everyone's ever posted they'll see that you always loved them! :D

My first though with chapter 1-3 was Dalinar, but after reading chapters 4-6 I think that is is Jasnah. I am fairly sure that it is written by a "main character", and most likely someone in or close to the Kholin family. It also need to be someone who can "hang" in between the physical and cognitive realms. This to me strongly suggests Jasnah or at least a KR that has the surge of transformation.

I do not think it could be Navani for the sheer fact that we got some of her journal entries in WoR. It could be someone else, but based on everything we know now, I believe Jasnah is the only one meets all the criteria.

I dismissed the idea that it was not jasnah so far, but after rereading the phrasing, I also believe it's not her. She's already a godless heretic, nobody would need further proof of that. jasnah would have more likely written something like "proof that a godless heretic such as myself is not to be trusted". I am now more in the "dalinar dictated the book" field.

I have yet to make a fantastically crazy theory so here is goes: Taravangian is the author. He will have a day which eclipses that of his day of genius to such a degree he will be able to glimpse between the realms and see into shadesmar. He will then begin to write based on what he sees in secret. His minders will discover what he did and decide that he is too much of a liability. They will try to kill him and he will be abandoned on the brink of death, but barely survive and escape.

I am sticking with my conviction that this was written by the Sons of Honor.  They have been dedicated to bringing back the Heralds and the Radiants, which would involve Oath binding, and that would be considered heretical post-Recreance.

So Restares, who we have heard of but not met, is a good candidate, or whomever is the founder/leader of the Sons.