Will you skip ahead in Words of Radiance?

eveorjoy

Will you read ahead in Words of Radiance?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Will you skip ahead in Words of Radiance? If you will, where will you start?

• No. I didn't read the excerpts from Tor and I avoided spoilers. The whole book will be fresh to me and I don't need to skip ahead.
    • No. Even though I read all the excerpts on Tor, I prefer to read the story in order.
    • Yes. I'm going to start at Chapter 7. What happened to Shallan and Jasnah?
    • Yes. I can't believe they ended chapter twelve where they did. I'm skipping to the next Kaladin chapter as soon as I get my hands on the book.
    • Yes. I want to read the Lift's interlude first, because it is just awesome.
    • Yes. I want to read Ym's interlude first, because I want to know how it ends.
    • Yes. I want to read the rest of Taravangian's interlude first. I'm dying to know what Tor left out.
    • Yes. I'm going to read the ending first, because I like to know where the story is going.

I'll probably skim the first few chapters just to make sure there hasn't been any changes, and start reading at my normal, slower pace once I get to chapter 7.  I also have a strong desire to skip to the epilogue to see if I'm right about Hoid delivering a beatdown to a Shardbearer while Hoid is wielding an Awakened sword, but I figure I can wait the day or two it takes to read the whole book instead of skipping to the very end.

I hope you realize that nobody is going to vote for the first option since no one who hasn't read the excerpts should be on this forum...

I'm not so sure. You are probably right, but I'll leave the option anyway.

I will read form the beginning, however, I daresay that I'll pull a Semi Cheese Ninja (reread the previously released at an elevated rate (not full on skimming, but pretty break neck)).

Almost there

Stay on target

Stay on target

When Way of Kings came out, I tried rereading the parts I'd already read on Tor. It was so boring that I put off the whole book for 2 days. :/ This time I'm skimming over them fast. Still starting at the beginning though, just so I don't lose track of things!

edit: Oh hah, I just saw the poll option about reading the ending first. I actually did that with some Wheel of Time books. If I couldn't remember why the characters in a chapter were important, I'd just skip it. I figured if I read the end first, then went back, I'd at least realize why what they were doing mattered. Sometimes it worked.

Edited by Morsk

I'll do a Cheese Ninja as well. There's a chance that TOR didn't include the ending to some of the chapters they released.

Come to think of it, I probably won't be able to resist the temptation to read the Ars Arcanum first because that's my favorite part of Sanderson books (don't judge! :(), but I don't plan on reading the last chapter in advance.

Edited by skaa

I'll probably end up skipping to chapter seven and reading from there. I speed read these books the first time round anyway (if it takes me more than 3-4 hours to read it the first time I'll be surprised). I'll then re-read the whole thing again slower and in more detail, it's entirely possible that I'll have read the entire thing twice by the end of the first day!

I have not read the excerpts except for little bits here and there.However I am not very adverse to spoilers. The reason I have not and will not be reading the excerpts is because I want to read the book without skimming parts even if those parts are at the beginning. I want to appreciate the book as a whole from start to finish something I didn't do with A Memory of Light having read the prologue before hand when actually reading the book proper I never read the prologue again which was crucial in working the reader back into the book and because of that I experienced a strange disconnect during reading. I fear the snippets I've read have been too much as I do not want the same thing to happen with WoR.

Debating skipping to the next Kaladin chapter, or reading straight through. I'd theoretically rather read through the whole book in order, but it will depend on my self control that day :P.

I'll also probably at least refer to the ars arcanum while I'm reading - do you guys think it, or the artwork, will have some kind of spoilery material?

Come to think of it, I probably won't be able to resist the temptation to read the Ars Arcanum first because that's my favorite part of Sanderson books (don't judge! :(), but I don't plan on reading the last chapter in advance.

Do not worry skaa, you are among friends.

I'm going to reread the first 6 or so chapters the evening before the book comes out. Then, at midnight, I'm going to start reading at 7. As long as we've got confirmation that those are the final drafts - which they are- I don't see a need to reread them on that day when I can reread them several times right now. In this month I may end up committing them to memory.... 

I'm going to reread the first 6 or so chapters the evening before the book comes out. Then, at midnight, I'm going to start reading at 7. As long as we've got confirmation that those are the final drafts - which they are- I don't see a need to reread them on that day when I can reread them several times right now. In this month I may end up committing them to memory....

BF, you're my BFF. This is what I will do now. Thank you for suggesting this. You are my infamous GANCHO OF THE WEEK! (Also the first, but don't worry there will be others)

Edited by AG Rooster

BF, you're my BFF. This is what I will do now. Thank you for suggesting this. You are my infamous GANCHO OF THE WEEK! (Also the first, but don't worry there will be others)

Hahaha, on top of being a slow reader (I like to take it all in), I also have to work the next day, so I need every head start I can get on this lot! It needs to be verrrrry carefully planned out. 

It is truly an Honor to accept the treasured title: GANCHO OF THE WEEK! I'd like to thank the Almighty of course, Brandon Sanderson, and anyone else who has proposed a theory that kept me captivated and hungering for more. May the Nightwatcher grant each of you  a boon that outweighs your curse! Good night!

I'll also probably at least refer to the ars arcanum while I'm reading - do you guys think it, or the artwork, will have some kind of spoilery material?

Yes. The artwork will have some spoilers. Brandon even put a spoiler warning in the Table of Contents right in front of the list of artwork. It's best just to see the artwork in order without looking at it ahead of time.

The Ars Arcanum will have some spoilers too, and there's no particular reason to look at the Ars Arcanum while you're reading the book.

skaa/Cheese Ninja: All the chapters that have been released, including Lift but NOT including Taravangian or Ym, are complete. The only things that are missing are the epigraphs on chapter 8 and chapter 9.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Oh, when Jasnah puts down the envelope on the table next to Liss in the prologue, she then changes her mind and takes a different one from her safepouch and puts it down instead.  It doesn't say what Jasnah did with the first envelope, I assume she picked it back up and put in the safepouch.  I thought that was a minor editing miss that would be fixed.

I'll probably just start at chapter 7 then.

When I voted, I was going to go back and skim the first 6 chapters as soon as the book hits my kindle.  Based on Peter's answer though, I will just read the first 6 chapters while I am waiting for the book to hit and then continue on from Chapter 7. 

My WOK Kindle copy has all the artwork included though harder to read but I am going to wait to pick up my hardcover until the signing on the 8th. 

Does anyone know at what time the ebook will drop?  I seem to remember Steelheart downloading to my Kindle at 12AM EST which was awesome since I am in Seattle.

Midnight EST wouldn't surprise me for the ebook release. Though, I wonder how many people at the midnight release party will be reading the book on their Kindles while waiting in line.

Oh, when Jasnah puts down the envelope on the table next to Liss in the prologue, she then changes her mind and takes a different one from her safepouch and puts it down instead.  It doesn't say what Jasnah did with the first envelope, I assume she picked it back up and put in the safepouch.  I thought that was a minor editing miss that would be fixed.

She put the second in place of the first. It doesn't matter what she did with the first envelope after that.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom