soyperson

Random Stuff X: Something Weird

4,664 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

What kind of information do they want? Because Giving your account number to anyone isn't dangerous. It's like giving someone your email address. Also PayPal isnt going to give your number to anyone. 

Isn't account verification in PayPal done by receiving a small amount of money from them and sending it back?

Or you can just use your $12 to buy something online :)

Its just the number, but I also think I share an account with my dad and brother, I just have a separate card, so.... not gonna work.

The $12 is being held captive. Invoices are different than just sending/requesting money, it seems. I also might have accidentally made Paypal think I'm sending a physical package. But there's no option to select no tracking number or something. -_-

It just emailed me "please come claim your money!"

I've been trying to for two days now

@Kestrel maybe talk with your dad about it? Or contact PayPal and ask if there are other options to verify your account. 

I'll see. If I can't get it to work I'll just decline the payment and request it through the main send/receive thing.

17 hours ago, Oversleep said:

So I'm not the only one who saw WW trailer and thought of Captain America: First Avenger?

SO, I HAVE THOUGHTS ON THIS.

Yes, there are similarities with Cap; the both that both characters are getting their first films produced as period dramas (with superheroes!) and presenting the idea of "superhero as warrior" is a thing that both films that definitely pushing. Basically, Wonder Woman is the Thor analogue (character wise) but her film looks like it'll be their version of Cap.

That being said, there is a major difference between the two, and that's where I'm a little concerned: namely, that Wonder Woman is set in World War I, while Cap had World War II.

World War II is -and I think I can say this without controversy- one of the most "just" wars ever waged. I don't think that there is much debate about the merits of, and whether it was worth, fighting fascism. 

However, World War I is... messier. It was called the Great War for a reason, in that it was a grinder for human lives, and the reasons why it was fought are a lot less moral and justified than other wars are (basically, a network of alliances without any kind of international checks and balances dragging the entire world into a conflict).

That is actually a fantastic setting for Wonder Woman; part of her deal, historically, is meeting violence with love and redeeming villains. So, putting her in one of the worst, and most morally complicated, wars in history is a pretty cool idea, since it means that you have her in a place where she can be trying to solve the problem, rather than just winning the war.

... My concern is that the film makers aren't going to recognize that, and the sides are going to be presented as stereotypical, with none of the actual complexities that marks World War I as different from World War II. 

@Orlion Determined  @Deliiiiiightful

I might be working on a piece of fan fiction that I might post featuring Wonder Woman and/or Captain America. :ph34r:

@Quiver please tag me when you do I will read the heck out of that. 

It's amazing, finding out that on almost all points, you were close but not quite. 

Well, I'm about to go for an audition for my school musical. I'm fairly sure that I will be put on the ensemble, but still... the brain weasels and stomach-upsetting weasels have combined forces. Ah well, auditions are always hard. 

23 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

Well, I'm about to go for an audition for my school musical. I'm fairly sure that I will be put on the ensemble, but still... the brain weasels and stomach-upsetting weasels have combined forces. Ah well, auditions are always hard. 

Best of luck, Nash!

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

Best of luck, Nash!

Thanks, bleeder. 

I think it went well! I totally forgot the first lines of the song when they began the accompaniment, but it came back to me by the time I had to sing. Overall, I think it went about as well as it could have, so that's good! 

On 1/18/2017 at 1:17 PM, Edgedancer said:

And she's a unicorn! :o

Okay, that's pretty clever!  (One of these days, I WILL get my husband to watch that movie.  So classic.)

58 minutes ago, traceria said:

Okay, that's pretty clever!  (One of these days, I WILL get my husband to watch that movie.  So classic.)

Hi, traceria!!! We haven't met, I'm bleeder. Or Cam. 

7 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

This exists, and you can never convince me that the world isn't a better place because of it. 

I was expecting that to be cringeworthy but it surprisingly wasn't :o 

1 hour ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

I was expecting that to be cringeworthy but it surprisingly wasn't :o 

No, it actually kind of works. :mellow:

I... might have ended up in a situation where I'm gaining work holidays quicker than I can spend them. :mellow:

I work 48 hours a week, and our work gives you one holiday for 100 hours work (so, about a fortnight of work for a day off). Okay so far.

I have twenty holidays so far.

Even if I start burning off whole weeks of work, i'll still be racking up holidays pretty dang quickly. And I can only have three carry over to the new work year (July 1st). 

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

I... might have ended up in a situation where I'm gaining work holidays quicker than I can spend them. :mellow:

I work 48 hours a week, and our work gives you one holiday for 100 hours work (so, about a fortnight of work for a day off). Okay so far.

I have twenty holidays so far.

Even if I start burning off whole weeks of work, i'll still be racking up holidays pretty dang quickly. And I can only have three carry over to the new work year (July 1st). 

IMG_1070.JPG

Wait, having a lot of holidays is a bad thing? 

2 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

Wait, having a lot of holidays is a bad thing? 

It is when it suddenly becomes impossible to use them all. 

3 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

IMG_1070.JPG

I want to. But....

Honestly, I feel kind of bad spending holidays? Since it means someone else will have to come in and cover my shift. I've been on the recieving end of last minute "can you do this shift for us" stuff before, and it sucks.

... but, I've been on that end of things. I have paid my dues; it's why I earned so many holidays to begin with. According to our accountant, I've worked about 2300 hours since I started there, and I've only ever taken 4 days off.
(One of those was a last minute, too-sick-to-work situation; the rest I booked off four or five months in advance).

I've been holding on to these holidays because I wanted to get the rota published; the last time I booked holidays without a rota, I ended up working every other day anyway. But apparently, we aren't allowed to book more than 8 days off at a time, and I'm not the only one who is going to be spending them now, so...

@Quiver, you can't worry about something else having to cover for you. You can't feel bad by spending your holidays.

I understand that feeling but the most you can do is announce your time off earlier (like a week or two) and then take it. You earned it and you are entitled to it (perhaps even required to spend it; I know my dad at one point had to take a day off here and there because otherwise he wouldn't be able to burn through them all).

Take it and enjoy it.

@Quiver - What @Oversleep said.  TAKE the days.  They are yours.  You earned them.  And it's not like you're calling in sick, so they have plenty of time to schedule people without having to call folks a few hours beforehand.  (Or if they do that, it's management's fault, not yours.)

I have another robotics competition tomorrow. Foo-bar FTW

2 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

I have another robotics competition tomorrow. Foo-bar FTW

Wait wait wait... foo-bar? As in fubar? 

Or, in the 17th shard parlance, subar? (Stormed Up Beyond All Repair?!)

thats an interesting name for a robot? 

But good luck! :) 

(also - Stormed Up Beyond All Repair makes a lot of in-universe sense) 

1 hour ago, Erunion said:

Wait wait wait... foo-bar? As in fubar? 

Or, in the 17th shard parlance, subar? (Stormed Up Beyond All Repair?!)

thats an interesting name for a robot? 

Foo-bar is not the name, it's the type (though, technically it is spelled fwo-bar)