Full Lift Interlude release to public

Walker

Either I am horrible judge of age (which, by the way, is a known fact), or that illustration is NOT of a thirteen ten years old, three years in a row, kid. Even accounting for the difference between a Rosharan year and an Earth one (which would make Lift about 14-15).

But I am happy everyone gets to have access to this now. Also, I spent only about 2 seconds looking at Lift in that illustration - my gaze moved almost immediately to the palace to make sure that it does indeed look like breasts.

Face could pass, but the body build are of a more mature woman. In the book she is something like 14(13x1,1) earth years, so it's possible that she is something like this but, I pictured a more innocent face.

One thing that catched my attetion is who did the drawing? And he did drawings to others caracters? It's was Tor commisioned or Brandon? 

Edited by Natans

Brandon doesn't like having official drawings of his characters, so it was definitely not by his commission or initiative.

"Brandon's made a clear decision (which I agree with) not to define the faces of his characters in the book's concept art and illustrations any further than needed"

- Inkthinker, one of the illustrators for tWoK.

So, one distinction between the Lift Interlude released in the Steelhunt and the Lift Interlude on Tor.com is the discussion of Darkness and his access to a Shardblade.

The Steelhunt version says this: 

“Does anyone know the name of that constable?” one of the viziers asked. “I feel that we should track down his superiors and ask that he be leashed a little more tightly.”

While the Tor.com version says this:

“Does anyone know the name of that constable?” one of the viziers asked. “When did we start letting officers of the law requisition Shardblades?”

(emphasis mine)

This leads to all types of speculation.  

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that Azir has Shardblades that are available for authorized people to access them.

The second thing that comes to mind, is that Dalinar's estimation about the total number of Shardblades (and indirectly, the number that the other kingdoms may have) may be somewhat off. I would argue that if the Azir allow authorized folks to requisition Shardblades, they would need to have more than a few.

Frankly, she looks too ... not-scrawny for someone whose entire point of being is how she's constantly burning way more calories than she takes in. Also I had in my mind that it took place in a warm climate so I wasn't expecting her outerwear to be so bulky. Or for that matter fancy.

Good catch!

So, one distinction between the Lift Interlude released in the Steelhunt and the Lift Interlude on Tor.com is the discussion of Darkness and his access to a Shardblade.

This leads to all types of speculation.  

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that Azir has Shardblades that are available for authorized people to access them.

The second thing that comes to mind, is that Dalinar's estimation about the total number of Shardblades (and indirectly, the number that the other kingdoms may have) may be somewhat off. I would argue that if the Azir allow authorized folks to requisition Shardblades, they would need to have more than a few.

One other thing comes to mind for me.  

The Azish officials clearly know that Darkness has a Shardblade, so there is the basis for a followup if Brandon wants to tie that in. 

I don't think that DARKNESS are a "normal Azir constable" and his blade (and by extension the blades of his minions) could have a much more unusual origin that the normal Azir blades that entered in Dalinar count.

Talking about uncounted blades, I was thinking, everyone believe that is odd the fact that there are some few blades where should exist a much bigger number. And we know that some Herald have unusual habits (cof cof ... like destroy art, or let say kill surgebinders). So what you guys think about one of the heralds collecting the blades and plates for some reason like guilt or some preparation for a come desolation or even boredom ?

DARKNESS an his minions have blades, Ash mused obtain one as this would be a easy thing, and let me say imagine this "collector" being killed and droping in his death hundreds of blades that would be awesome =) Just saying =) PS.I don't mind if Tor comissioned more drawings, putting complains aside I liked this idea and I really like books arts like this one, God knows that we have to few talented artist drawing Stormlight art( Botanica and Exmakina I'm looking at you girls) a couple more would be nice ;)

Edited by Natans

Also, confirmation from Peter that Lift will only appear in this interlude in WoR (although that's fairly consistent with every other Interlude character to date, except Szeth), but that she is likely to appear in future Stormlight Archive novels.  Also, just like in WoK, there will be one viewpoint character that appears in multiple Interludes of WoR.

Edit to Add:

Natans- I don't believe that Darkness is a regular Azir (Azir? or Azish?) constable either.  

What I found noteworthy, was that the Azir vizier mentioned the "requisition" of a Shardblade, like it was common.  And that constables aren't normally the ones who can requisition them. This implies (to me, anyway) that the Azish have multiple Shardblades (note the plural in the quotation) that can be requisitioned by certain authorized folks.  

From that, I would extrapolate that the Azish government appears to control access to and usage of multiple Shardblades/plates (if you have to go through a governmental process to become Prime, it stands to reason that you would have to go through bureaucracy to access the Shards).  

I am taking somewhat of a leap that this is knowledge that Dalinar didn't already know.  It just seems to me that a government willing to allow authorized representatives to borrow Shards would have a sufficient number of those Shards for multiple reasons (the first one that comes to mind would be to have enough Shards to reclaim the borrowed ShardBlade/Plate if the borrower decides to keep them indefinitely).  I would guess needing to have at least 5 Blades, in order for this to make sense (remember that the viziers saw that one of Darkness's minions had a Shardblade as well).  I have no textual basis for thinking they have Shardplate though; just a feeling based upon the cavalier way the vizier seemed to mention requisitioning the ShardBlade.

Edited by KiManiak

@Natans - I generally appreciate your posts.  They seem very insightful to me.  That said, I hope that I will not offend with a complaint.  We have a character with a nickname: Darkness.  Every time I see another name used that is close to an identifier for a racial minority in the somewhat racist culture I grew up in, it bothers me. 

This is my problem, and I am not saying you have done anything wrong.  I don't see the point of another nickname with no in-book use and I would enjoy your exceptional posts even more if you used the canonical nickname.

If my complaint seems offensive, please accept my apology. 

I don't think that Blackie are a "normal Azir constable" and his blade (and by extension the blades of his minions) could have a much more unusual origin that the normal Azir blades that entered in Dalinar count.

Talking about uncounted blades, I was thinking, everyone believe that is odd the fact that there are some few blades where should exist a much bigger number. And we know that some Herald have unusual habits (cof cof ... like destroy art, or let say kill surgebinders). So what you guys think about one of the heralds collecting the blades and plates for some reason like guilt or some preparation for a come desolation or even boredom ?

Blackie an his minions have blades, Ash mused obtain one as this would be a easy thing, and let me say imagine this "collector" being killed and droping in his death hundreds of blades that would be awesome =)

Baxil's mistress has light eyes, whereas Taln doesn't.  It suggests to me that she already has a history with ex-Radiantblades.

Can one even have more than one Shardblade?  If the part of the SDNA that retrieves the blade is overwritten when you pick up the second blade, would you still be able to retrieve the first blade?

Edited by hoser

@Natans - I generally appreciate your posts.  They seem very insightful to me.  That said, I hope that I will not offend with a complaint.  We have a character with a nickname: Darkness.  Every time I see another name used that is close to an identifier for a racial minority in the somewhat racist culture I grew up in, it bothers me. 

This is my problem, and I am not saying you have done anything wrong.  I don't see the point of another nickname with no in-book use and I would enjoy your exceptional posts even more if you used the canonical nickname.

If my complaint seems offensive, please accept my apology. 

Baxil's mistress has light eyes, whereas Taln doesn't.  It suggests to me that she already has a history with ex-Radiantblades.

Can one even have more than one Shardblade?  If the part of the SDNA that retrieves the blade is overwritten when you pick up the second blade, would you still be able to retrieve the first blade?

Hoser realllllllllllllllly sorry friend, i'm not a native speaker and i didn't stopped to think that Bxxxxx could mean this, i always used this word because i thinked that was funny out of all thing,  I would never used that word if I knew that this could offend someone. I know that it's not a excuse but from where I'm from  this kind of word use is normal, i mean putting something in diminutive to express affection or by contrast make something serious more funny.

I thank you for the heads up, I apologize from anyone that was offended and I will refrain myself to use this expression again. 

Yes brandon confirmed ( in WOK prime there are even a dualwield blade user), but he said that to summon every sword you needed ten heartbeats which.

Edited by Natans

I'm a scout leader and for some girls it can be very difficult to tell when you first meet them what age they are from purely physical appearance alone. I've known girls of 13-14 who look like they're 18 and girls of 17-18 who still look like they're 12. What normally gives there age away is the way they act and behave (although not always). The girl in the picture here seems to have too much poise, confidence and maturity in her bearing to be 13-14 year old. The face to me looks older too (no baby fat more defined bone structure).

Hoser realllllllllllllllly sorry friend, i'm not a native speaker and i didn't stopped to think that Blackie could mean this, i always used this word because i thinked that was funny out of all thing,  I would never used that word if I knew that this could offend someone. I know that it's not a excuse but from where I' from  this kind of word use is normal, i mean putting something in diminutive to express affection or by contrast make something serious more funny.

I thank you for the heads up, I apologize from anyone that was offended and I will refrain myself to use this expression again.

@Natans - Thanks for hearing my concern and taking it graciously.  As I am not of the racial minority being referenced, I would say I was more bothered or distracted than offended. 

Also, confirmation from Peter that Lift will only appear in this interlude in WoR (although that's fairly consistent with every other Interlude character to date, except Szeth), but that she is likely to appear in future Stormlight Archive novels.  Also, just like in WoK, there will be one viewpoint character that appears in multiple Interludes of WoR.

My money is on the recurring Interlude POV is Taln.

Requisition also implied to me that the Azish had access to a number of blades such that they could be spoken of semi-casually as possibly be requisitioned.  It also indicates a substantial cultural difference in how blades are kept and viewed.  For the Alethi (and presumably Vedens), the blade belongs to the holder except in specific circumstances.  In Azir, it is assumed that the blade belongs to or is administrated by the/a governing body.

I don't think that Blackie are a "normal Azir constable" and his blade (and by extension the blades of his minions) could have a much more unusual origin that the normal Azir blades that entered in Dalinar count.

Blackie an his minions have blades, Ash mused obtain one as this would be a easy thing, and let me say imagine this "collector" being killed and droping in his death hundreds of blades that would be awesome =) Just saying =) PS.I don't mind if Tor comissioned more drawings, putting complains aside I liked this idea and I really like books arts like this one, God knows that we have to few talented artist drawing Stormlight art( Botanica and Exmakina I'm looking at you girls) a couple more would be nice ;)

Wait, where is it indicated that his minions have Shardblades too? Darkness certainly had, but I can't remember any indication that his fellow constables had.

Also, I always though Natans was referring to Darkness as "Blackie" because of his all-black costume. I had completely forgotten that he was of dark skin as well.

Requisition also implied to me that the Azish had access to a number of blades such that they could be spoken of semi-casually as possibly be requisitioned.  It also indicates a substantial cultural difference in how blades are kept and viewed.  For the Alethi (and presumably Vedens), the blade belongs to the holder except in specific circumstances.  In Azir, it is assumed that the blade belongs to or is administrated by the/a governing body.

I take your bet.

To me it's gonna be Eshonai, because of the book description released =)

What you wanna bet ;)

PS:

"She needed an exit. A window. Her flight had just looped her around back near the Prime’s quarters. She picked a direction by instinct and started running, but one of Darkness’s minions appeared around a corner that way. He also carried a Shardblade. Some starvin’ luck, she had."

Edited by Natans

I remember reading somewhere that the interlude through line was going to be Eshonai. (I'll try and fit it)

Edit: I think this is it, Peter mentions Eshonai's interludes.

Edited by WeiryWriter