Full Lift Interlude release to public

Walker

I remember reading somewhere that the interlude through line was going to be Eshonai. (I'll try and fit it)

Edit: I think this is it, Peter mentions Eshonai's interludes.

Well then, here's to hoping that Taln will be a main POV character like Dalinar, Shallan , and Kaladin were in WoK.

Well then, here's to hoping that Taln will be a main POV character like Dalinar, Shallan , and Kaladin were in WoK.

The plan (unless it has changed) is for him to have a focus book (see here and here).  But if I remember correctly he will only have an interlude this book.

Edited by WeiryWriter

I know that there is at least one POV from him in WoR and that he will have a focus book.  His character and his arrival are so compelling (urgent even?) though, that I hope for more sooner.  Especially since the earliest his book would come would be book 4 since it seems almost a forgone conclusion that Szeth will be book three.  It would be like Alendi turning up near the end of TFE and then only hearing from him for a chapter in either of TFE or WoA.

I know that there is at least one POV from him in WoR and that he will have a focus book.  His character and his arrival are so compelling (urgent even?) though, that I hope for more sooner.  Especially since the earliest his book would come would be book 4 since it seems almost a forgone conclusion that Szeth will be book three.  It would be like Alendi turning up near the end of TFE and then only hearing from him for a chapter in either of TFE or WoA.

Actually it looks like it will be in the latter five since Eshonai will probably be four.  But yah, I would like viewpoints from him but I just don't think we will get much of them anytime soon.

Actually it looks like it will be in the latter five since Eshonai will probably be four.  But yah, I would like viewpoints from him but I just don't think we will get much of them anytime soon.

That is my suspicion as well.  A herald flashback book wouldn't make that much sense to me in the first arc.

Have an upvote for all your disappointing quotiness.  Maybe a new title: the Wet Blanket of Quotiness.  :P

Edited by Shardlet

Well don't cost  ask =) So anyone know if the second 5 books arc will have te same main characters( Kaladin, Dalinar, Navani, Shallan, etc.) or will be a different cast. I ask this because I was under impression that after the first arc will occur a time skip and the next arc the old character will have died, or will have only minor roles, and the immortal one like Taln will lead.

I'm readed a lot of interviews but the kind say opposite things.

Brandon said that the focus will be on different people but the first arc cast will still be there (excepting dead ones of course).  So, expect a lot of Dalinar, Shallan, Kaladin, Szeth, and Eshonai POVs in the second arc.

Edited by Shardlet

Brandon said that the focus will be on different people but the first arc cast will still be there (excepting dead ones of course).  So, expect a lot of Dalinar, Shallan, Kaladin, Szeth, and Eshonai POVs in the second arc.

Gandemort:

You've mentioned that the stormlight archive is broken down into two sets of five books. Is the story arch of the second set of books going to be completely different than the story in the first 5 books?

mistborn:

It will focus mostly on different characters, with some appearances by characters from the first five. I wouldn't call it a different story, more a sequel.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Most of the main POV characters have been introduced. Each book will take one major character (Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, Jasnah, Shallan, Navani, Szeth, Taln) and give them 'flashback' sequences in the same way Kaladin got flashbacks in the first book. There are some open spots for which I'm toying with other characters being used.

Other characters will get viewpoints now and then, but I feel that one of the ways that big series get off track is by changing the focus to side characters. (Note that I will continue doing the Interludes to give some other voices and perspectives screen time. Few of these will be main characters.)

QUESTION

What’s the status of the second book of the Stormlight Archive?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I will be going right into that as soon as I finish A Memory of Light. I have it outlined, I have decided whose book it will be, each of the Stormlight books will have a focal character who gets flashbacks. It’s going to be Shallan’s book. So the first major cycle of the Stormlight Archive is looking like it’s going to be Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Navani, and Dalinar as the five book arc. And if you haven’t heard, I’m doing it in two 5-book arcs, so the first 5 books should wrap a lot of things up and whatnot. And I might even stop then and do like an Elantris sequel and things like that, and then start the second 5-book arc. So I will do that immediately, I’m actually planning to do that and have it out, it probably won’t be next year, it’ll probably be the following spring, but it’s a little over a year away. I’ve got it all outlined, so it should be...I’ve done a lot of work on it, I just haven’t written it.

I ask because sometimes looks that in the second part we will have only a minor appearance of first arc characters and in some interviews looks like the ten books would be a "whole". In true i think that i'm just afraid that Kaladin and Dalinar will dissapear I really liked their characters, would be very sad don't have them in the books =)

It also indicates a substantial cultural difference in how blades are kept and viewed...In Azir, it is assumed that the blade belongs to or is administrated by the/a governing body.

Which brings up some interesting questions (well, possibly only interesting to a few, but still)...

How could such a collection of Shardblades and possibly Plate be adequately stored and defended?  Assuming that Blades are used and then relinquished by a still-alive user, the only way we've seen ShardBlades be non-fatally released is by sticking them in the ground (and possibly willing them to stay there).  This means that it is highly unlikely that the armory/armories are mobile; it is likely to be a stationary depository.  It also requires that the location would be known by a select group of people.  This stationary location would be a target, and would require defenders.

The Shards could be stored 1 of 2 ways:

1) Shard(s) to be housed in separate, multiple locations; or

2) Shards all housed together.

Since it is highly likely that an armory of Shards would be targeted by enemy Shardbearers, the armory would likely need to be defended by Shardbearers as well.  

So, scenario 1) would require at least 1 Shardbearer per location (requiring the requisition and use of more Shards) to protect each armory.  On the other hand, scenario 2) would not require multiple Shardbearers at multiple locations; but since the single armory would be a lone target and since it houses all of the Shards, it would be the logical objective for the vast majority of the enemy Shardbearers (and of the enemy, period).  So you would require multiple Shardbearers to defend that location as well.  However, it would probably require less active Shardbearers to defend the single location.

This could lead to all kinds of questions: Who are the Shardbearing guards?  How do you pick them?  How long do they get to hold on to their Shards?  Do the Shards rotate among the guards fairly?  Who watches the Watchmen?  :P Etc...

The Shards could be stored 1 of 2 ways:

1) Shard(s) to be housed in separate, multiple locations; or

2) Shards all housed together.

There is a third option.

We know from the discussions about dueling in WoK that it is possible for a Shardbearer to lend his or her shards to another person (don't have the book handy to give a direct citation, but it's mentioned that a duelist can ask to borrow the king's plate and blade somewhere in there). There's nothing stopping the Azish government from having specific bureaucrats who are bonded to all of their shards, who then lend out the shards as need be.

Naturally there's a lot of questions for how exactly it would work. We don't know if lending shards requires close proximity, or if it involves unbonding the blade from the original owner and bonding it to the other, or even if it's just an Alethi cultural thing. But it does seem like a far more secure option than "lock them up in rooms".

Heck, it would be worse than that. Literally all of our SA theories could hinge on Taln, and his knowledge, as well as a much greater understanding of the cosmere

Taln may not be as knowledgeable as you think. Certainly he has more knowledge of the KR and the nature of surgebinding than the main cast of TWoK. Also about the Cosmere.

But he has only been on Roshar for what, 100 years out of the last 100,000? Certainly he was only around for about a decade out of the last 5,000 years. How much useful knowledge could he really have?

There are some points of interest... firstly he seems to speak perfect modern Alethi (seems slightly odd as, from Dalinar's visions, the main language the last time he was around was different) so he has the ability to learn quickly what has happened in the last few thousand years.

But it is not clear whether he knows any of the following...

That his fellow Heralds gave up their blades

That the KR have disbanded and been disgraced by history

That surgebinding is all but non-existent in the modern era

That Tanavast is dead and Honor splintered

That Fabrial science is possible / exists

We cannot possibly know what Taln knows about anything so cannot judge how useful his knowledge would be, or how relevant it is to the modern era of Roshar.

Taln may not be as knowledgeable as you think. Certainly he has more knowledge of the KR and the nature of surgebinding than the main cast of TWoK. Also about the Cosmere.

But he has only been on Roshar for what, 100 years out of the last 100,000? Certainly he was only around for about a decade out of the last 5,000 years. How much useful knowledge could he really have?

There are some points of interest... firstly he seems to speak perfect modern Alethi (seems slightly odd as, from Dalinar's visions, the main language the last time he was around was different) so he has the ability to learn quickly what has happened in the last few thousand years.

But it is not clear whether he knows any of the following...

That his fellow Heralds gave up their blades

That the KR have disbanded and been disgraced by history

That surgebinding is all but non-existent in the modern era

That Tanavast is dead and Honor splintered

That Fabrial science is possible / exists

We cannot possibly know what Taln knows about anything so cannot judge how useful his knowledge would be, or how relevant it is to the modern era of Roshar.

He is however, a strong link to the Heraldic Epochs, he is going to have far more knowledge of the Oathpact than you an I, his thoughts will be most interesting in regards the abandonment of the nine (whether or not he already knows about it or only just learns of it), add to that greater knowledge of surgebinding, spren, Nohadon, voidbringers, the KR, and likely Odium (or at least "the Enemy"), and you come up with a fairly significant body of knowledge that we all thirst for.  I doubt we will be getting POVs from any other Heralds in the near future (I could see an interlude POV from Darkness in book 3, but he may not actually be a Herald).

So, Taln is the carrot dangling before us.  And, DANG IT!  I want to eat that CARROT! :D

He is however, a strong link to the Heraldic Epochs, he is going to have far more knowledge of the Oathpact than you an I, his thoughts will be most interesting in regards the abandonment of the nine (whether or not he already knows about it or only just learns of it), add to that greater knowledge of surgebinding, spren, Nohadon, voidbringers, the KR, and likely Odium (or at least "the Enemy"), and you come up with a fairly significant body of knowledge that we all thirst for.  I doubt we will be getting POVs from any other Heralds in the near future (I could see an interlude POV from Darkness in book 3, but he may not actually be a Herald).

So, Taln is the carrot dangling before us.  And, DANG IT!  I want to eat that CARROT! :D

If he aren't crazy ;)

I readed recently a old interview where brandon talked about "one book" were he would show 10 "immortal figures" that turned a little crazy, which one in a different way because of their immortality and such =)

Taln more than everyone must have serious mental scar for his SPA time in dammation that will need be overcomed before he could be of use to someone, This or the dude have a godlike mental fortitude (and for what we fished from the epigraphs i think he don't)

Edited by Natans

... firstly he seems to speak perfect modern Alethi (seems slightly odd as, from Dalinar's visions, the main language the last time he was around was different) so he has the ability to learn quickly what has happened in the last few thousand years.

I interrupt this thread for a brief announcement. 

As Thread Curator I am obligated to remind you of this thread.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled speculation. 

I was going over the Lift interlude, and a thought popped into my head. Since Lift can touch the spiritual realm (either by her Edgedancing, or the Nightwatcher) could she possibly heal wounds that were caused by Shardblades? I thought the Shardblades basically effected the spiritual part of the individual and not the physical aspects until they are dead. I kept thinking that Wyndle was surprised at her touching the spirt realm, and he has probably been in contact with other Edgedancers before, so this leads me to believe that Lift is different from other individulals with her abilities.   

Edited by Skiroy

I was going over the Lift interlude, and a thought popped into my head. Since Lift can touch the spiritual realm (either by her Edgedancing, or the Nightwatcher) could she possibly heal wounds that were caused by Shardblades? I thought the Shardblades basically effected the spiritual part of the individual and not the physical aspects until they are dead. I kept thinking that Wyndle was surprised at her touching the spirt realm, and he has probably been in contact with other Edgedancers before, so this leads me to believe that Lift is different from other individulals with her abilities.   

She's touching the Cognitive Real,, not the Spiritual one. That isn't to say that she cannot, but your premise is invalid.

EDIT: Up-vote for making your first post, though!  :)

Edited by Aether

Anyone catch the veiled reference to Cultivation? I had to re-read it twice before I got it  :wacko:

Interesting tidbit to say the least though. The shout-out to all the trouble Szeth has caused is interesting too. I love how these little tidbits aren't necessarily plot relevant but give us so much backstory information!

“You realize that I didn’t choose you,” he said, a face appearing in the vines as they moved. His speaking left a strange effect, the trail behind him clotted with a sequence of frozen faces. The mouth seemed to move because it was growing so quickly beside her. “I wanted to pick a distinguished Iriali matron. A grandmother, an accomplished gardener. But no, the Ring said we should choose you. ‘She has visited the Old Magic,’ they said. ‘Our mother has blessed her,’ they said. ‘She will be young, and we can mold her,’ they said.

I find this odd. The spren had no choice as to whom he has to bond with unlike syl?. And he mentions 'The Ring'. Who and what could be the ring?