What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Read Volumes 1 & 2 of Go Go Power Rangers. Very different from the main Mighty Morphin series since this is more character driven versus action driven. I love how they give more personality to the Rangers, the villains and even the side characters since the show is very basic characterization wise.

It’s nice seeing the backstory stuff showing moments before Rita is released like when Kimberly first moved to Angel Grove, a noodle incident involving Kimberly and Zack that later gets shown, Rita conquering worlds and being disgusted that on Squatt’s world his parents gave him up as an offering to spare their people (who knew Rita had a soft spot?) and the fact that Billy and Skull used to be friends. It was also nice seeing a nice side to Bulk and Skull for once since they are always being bullies or jokes for the audience.

Because Issue 9 is the start of the Shattered Grid crossover event that meant Issue 8 ends with the appearance of the Ranger Slayer so there might not be any regular backstory stuff for Volume 3.

One thing I did find weird was the cover gallery. The first 4 issues skipped the character spotlight covers but 5-8 included them so it’s weird to have a spotlight for Kimberly, Bulk, Skull and Matt but not the other rangers.

Can’t wait to get the Shattered Grid issues contained in Go Go 3, Mighty Morphin 7 & 8 and Lost Chronicles 2.

I finished reading the last 100 pages of Wheel of Time Eye of the World.

Now Im reading Star Wars Allegiance and Star Wars Choices of one.  also this late in July or in August when done with Star Wars Allegiance and Choices of One, im also going to be reading Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Razor's Edge. Then after those. ill probably be reading Wheel of Time book or start reading the Mistborn Trilogy in August

37 minutes ago, NottTheBrave said:

200+ pages into The Dragon Reborn now, and it's fantastic!  Easily my favorite of the three so far.  I'm really loving the variety in PoV this go around.  I'm also loving the plot threads, and the characters continue to grow and become more and more interesting.  

Dragon Reborn is probably my favorite in the whole series, definitely top 3 at least.  for complicated reasons, its the book I read first, and that made gettign through books 1 and 2 much harder in comparison when i came back to them later.

10 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Dragon Reborn is probably my favorite in the whole series, definitely top 3 at least.  for complicated reasons, its the book I read first, and that made gettign through books 1 and 2 much harder in comparison when i came back to them later.

I can understand that.  There's just so much variety in Dragon Reborn.  The series has opened up so much, with so many things going on, that it'd be weird to go back to an almost entirely rand centric storyline.

Need recommends. I’ve read all of Sanderson, Divine cities + foundryside, Demon cycle, King killer, lightbringer + night angel and would like books more like this fantasy genre

I did try the red rising, prince of thorns, gentleman bastards, raveler, apprentice, and poppy war books but none of them were really for me. 

3 hours ago, Sirscott13 said:

Need recommends.

Well, there are already a fair few recommendation threads floating around this site, but this would be a good place to mention that I definitely recommend the book I read most recently: The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin (finally).  I read her Inheritance Trilogy over the past few years and came to The Fifth Season with high expectations that were easily surpassed.  I was a little surprised that The Fifth Season was less self-contained than the individual books in The Inheritance Trilogy.  This made me sorely tempted to keep going straight into The Obelisk Gate, but I managed to change gears and am now reading Ben Aaronovitch's latest novella, The October Man.  (Aaronovitch writes fun urban fantasy that I enjoy but doesn't sound like the exact genre you're looking for.)

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

i liked crossroads better than path of daggers, eye of the world, and the great hunt.  The mere presence of Mat PoV chapters goes a long way

Mat was the only character worth reading in Book 10, in my opinion.

I've been thinking about starting the witcher series before the tv show starts. Any opinions about it? Also, if someone can tell me the proper reading order (I understood that there are also some short stories and stuff) I'll be reall greatful...

On 22.7.2019 at 8:16 PM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Oh boy. Just finished Winter’s Heart.

That last chapter was probably my favorite one in the entire series. I felt some kind of epic rytham throughout it.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I really, REALLY love fantasy heist novels and if anyone has any recommendations for more like Locke Lamora or Mistborn please tell me.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:16 PM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Oh boy. Just finished Winter’s Heart.

I felt like this one had way too much padding. I mean it was still good, but too much of it was just Perrin not doing much of anything until the end. Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams are great though. And of course the last 3 books by Brandon are pretty good too (Androl anyone?)

9 hours ago, Zurvanite said:

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I really, REALLY love fantasy heist novels and if anyone has any recommendations for more like Locke Lamora or Mistborn please tell me.

I felt like this one had way too much padding. I mean it was still good, but too much of it was just Perrin not doing much of anything until the end. Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams are great though. And of course the last 3 books by Brandon are pretty good too (Androl anyone?)

Brandon's closing books are pretty good, excpet for the part in Gathering Strom where he gets Mat completely wrong.

Anyone know if there's anything good to buy from Barnes and Noble? Like stuff besides Star Wars or Mistborn or Wheel of Time?

Are those Alien Omnibus novels any good? What are they anyway? They pretty much paperback novel versions of old Aliens Dark Horse comics or something?

I woulidnt  mind buying and reading a Terry Pratchet book but theres way too many of those lol.  This coming weekend for August Im going out of town and planning on going to Barnes and Noble to get my usual fix of Star Wars and maybe get the Aliens Omnibus Volume 1 paperback novel. 

As for Terry Pratchett, anyone got any ideas of what to start out with for a Terry Pratchett book?

20 minutes ago, urrutiap said:

I woulidnt  mind buying and reading a Terry Pratchet book but theres way too many of those lol.  This coming weekend for August Im going out of town and planning on going to Barnes and Noble to get my usual fix of Star Wars and maybe get the Aliens Omnibus Volume 1 paperback novel. 

As for Terry Pratchett, anyone got any ideas of what to start out with for a Terry Pratchett book?

Guards, Guards!, Mort, and Small Gods are all good starting points.  They are each pretty independent of anything that came before them, and are all pretty strong examples of the Discworld books.